So-Cal drag show draws big names

Oct 7, 2008 | Posted by: instantriverside | Full story: www.instantriverside.com

"I respect drag, and illusionists, a hundred percent. And I don't have anybody in my show who doesn't look like who they're doing." The drag show will bring the likenesses of Cher, Dolly Parton, Bette Midler, ...

Comments
21 - 40 of 47 Comments Last updated Apr 12, 2014
Rick

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

Toni Warren wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked at The Famous Door with the rest of these gals. My name was Toni Warren, and I miss those days. What fond memories! Unfortunately, some of my sisters are no longer with us, but here's what I know:
Tracy Adams - Passed 1992
Starr LaSalle - Passed 1990s
Audrey Morgan - Passed mid 1980s
Rikki & Ronnie Summers: Alive and doing very well in Indy!
Maxine Allen: Passed
Rosemary Cruz: Sex Reassignment
Sasha D'or: Colorado (still?)
Adrian Shaw: Alive and doing very well in Indy! Certified Professional secretary (male)
Lindy Shaw: Alive and doing very well in Indy!
Toni Warren: Alive and doing very well in Tennessee! Certified Professional Legal Secretary (male)
Tonya Terrell: Alive and doing very well in Indy!
Roxanne Cordova: Passed 1990s
Dee Dee DuBois: Alive and doing well!
Jeanetta Williams: Passed(?)
Ronnie Russell: Indy (?)
I hope this answers your question.
Thank you Toni! I do remember you as well. I am sorry to hear so many are gone. It sounds like you are doing well for yourself. I wish there was a way to post some of the old pictures from the famous door. You can certainly be proud of the work you and the others did. It really was a great time.
ruth dix

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

Toni Warren wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked at The Famous Door with the rest of these gals. My name was Toni Warren, and I miss those days. What fond memories! Unfortunately, some of my sisters are no longer with us, but here's what I know:
Tracy Adams - Passed 1992
Starr LaSalle - Passed 1990s
Audrey Morgan - Passed mid 1980s
Rikki & Ronnie Summers: Alive and doing very well in Indy!
Maxine Allen: Passed
Rosemary Cruz: Sex Reassignment
Sasha D'or: Colorado (still?)
Adrian Shaw: Alive and doing very well in Indy! Certified Professional secretary (male)
Lindy Shaw: Alive and doing very well in Indy!
Toni Warren: Alive and doing very well in Tennessee! Certified Professional Legal Secretary (male)
Tonya Terrell: Alive and doing very well in Indy!
Roxanne Cordova: Passed 1990s
Dee Dee DuBois: Alive and doing well!
Jeanetta Williams: Passed(?)
Ronnie Russell: Indy (?)
I hope this answers your question.
Hey Toni Ruth here Still Alive
ruth dix

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

I miss everyone so much,what fantastic years we had,and to all our fans we love you all.Im Ruth Dix,alive and well and doing hair in Florida.Oh Toni Warren,as we use to always say"Hurry up and eat It" Love to all......Ruthie
ruth dix

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

Cpetr13 wrote:
It was tragic that they tore it down; the Door was such a fun bar and had the bet shows. Truth to tell, I'm not sure what happened to most of them.
Ruth Dix--here's a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I think Ruth is still performing
Tracy Adams:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I can't find anything on her past the early 90's
Can't find anything on Adrian Shaw or many others. I hope they are still around and going strong, but I fear the worst.
It's a shame that we have all but lost this special form of entertainment in these "politically correct" times.
<quoted text>
Hi Guys... Ruth Dix here...No Im retired and still doing hair in Florida...thanks so much for caring,makes an old queen feel fantastic.I miss you all so much...thanks for so many years of fun...Love to all....Ruthie Dix

“Reality is better than truth”

Since: Jun 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

Ah, Ruth Dix: Empress of the evil eye! I'm so glad to see that you are alive and well; we lost so many in the crisis. But it's great that you are healthy and apparently happy.

This old queen feels fantastic too, knowing that you and Toni are doing well!
ruth dix wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Guys... Ruth Dix here...No Im retired and still doing hair in Florida...thanks so much for caring,makes an old queen feel fantastic.I miss you all so much...thanks for so many years of fun...Love to all....Ruthie Dix
Stella Raye

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

Stella Raye here. I too had the pleasure of working with Ruth Dix & Toni Warren at Talbott Street in Indy. Wonderful memories that will last me a lifetime. I am still here in Chicago. Glad to hear that you two are doing well.
Love Stella.

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

Stella Raye wrote:
Stella Raye here. I too had the pleasure of working with Ruth Dix & Toni Warren at Talbott Street in Indy. Wonderful memories that will last me a lifetime. I am still here in Chicago. Glad to hear that you two are doing well.
Love Stella.
I know this thread is old...and many are probally not here anymore...but there is a way you all can connect...
Go to 'flckr'...it's a great photo sharing site where many people post photos of 'the good o'le days' or whatever else...
Unlike topix...you have 100% control over who sees your photos and who you want to interact with...
You can see people dressed in drag and other degrees of cds...

And the flckr community is really polite...I was a member there...had like 700 plus photos...made a lot of interesting contacts...you can share your photos with the world...literally...some will come up on public searches...Japan, Australia, Tokyo, Russia...Sweden....

I ended my membership cause i think to much of me was out there...but I may sign up again in a few weeks...

It's like a photo sharing forum...very artsy...it's a mature polite community where you don't have to constantly defend your artistic flare against attacks...your able to relax and be yourself...
here's a link...http://www.flickr.com/

I hope that helps...if not..I apologize for meddling...and it's free...
Steve Jerrell

Maitland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Toni - thanks so much for the updates on the cast from the Door. I remember spending so many nights (and money) there fondly - had a mad crush on Adrian Shaw for a long time <grin> - remember the Joey Heatherton version of "Crazy" so strongly. Tracy Adams - always a favorite with "Just One Look". Wasn't it Audrey that did "It Shoulda Been Me"? God, so many memories. Thanks for sharing!

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Diamond Lil at the Sweetgum Head in Atlanta GA
Mercedes Martin TH IN

Bicknell, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

I was sadly informed tonight that Ronnie Russell has passed. I am not sure of the funeral arrangements yet but I was searching for his name on the internet to find out where and when his visitation/funeral was to be held and stumbled across this blog. I knew some of the older set and had good fortune to work with a few. Once with Ruth Dix, Ronnie a few times, Roxanne many times, Rikki Summers many times etc... Love and learned soooooo much from the experienced girls. They had a wealth of knowledge and I had Traci Adams booked in my show just before she passed, she was always sooooooo kind to me. I actually worked with Maxine Allen when I was a baby in Ft. Lauderdale at the Copa. She found out I was from Indiana and got me booked on a regular basis. I was soooo broke back then LOL, she saved me for sure. I am happy to see so many doing so well. I am semi-retired from drag and a full time Realtor but I still love the stage at 46. It would be awesome to have an Icon show someday and get everyone back together. Just a thought, Thank you all for your knowledge, help and kindness to us that were just starting out.
DavidinMS

Picayune, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

OMG! I am so glad to have found this forum.(Thank you, Google) I live in Indy from 1970-1980, was there for grad. school. But was during this time that my gay identity was beginning to formulate. And a BIG part of that process was the Famous Door. Coming from southern Mississippi, I had never seen a drag show, until a friend took me one memorable night in 1971. I was hooked. Well do I remember Tracy Adams, Ricki Summers, Sasha D'or, Angel Foster, and you, Toni. In the late 70's, after having not been to the club for a long while, I drove past the site, and found it...gone. Completely. Made me very sad. Over the years, I have tried to reestablish some ties to friends I had, names I knew in Indy. All to no success. So reading this forum has been such a joy. I am now 61, and have worked as an RN for 25 years, the last several in an ICU. Hope someone reads this and understands my appreciation for the contact and the updates. Sending love.
Toni Warren

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2010

Would someone please let me know when, where and how Miss Russell passed. We met in 1969, and my name was "Tracy Linn" back then. Of course, those were DEFINITELY pre "Toni Warren" days when I wore that name.
Hello to all fans and my former fellow entertainers. We're so blessed, ESPECIALLY ME, to have made it this far!
Fans - I'll never forget you - without you, we were nothing.
Girls - I cherish each and every memory of our times together, the good and the bad.
PEACE & LOVE TO ALL! Much love, Toni Warren
Toni Warren

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2010

Mercedes Martin TH IN wrote:
I was sadly informed tonight that Ronnie Russell has passed. I am not sure of the funeral arrangements yet but I was searching for his name on the internet to find out where and when his visitation/funeral was to be held and stumbled across this blog. I knew some of the older set and had good fortune to work with a few. Once with Ruth Dix, Ronnie a few times, Roxanne many times, Rikki Summers many times etc... Love and learned soooooo much from the experienced girls. They had a wealth of knowledge and I had Traci Adams booked in my show just before she passed, she was always sooooooo kind to me. I actually worked with Maxine Allen when I was a baby in Ft. Lauderdale at the Copa. She found out I was from Indiana and got me booked on a regular basis. I was soooo broke back then LOL, she saved me for sure. I am happy to see so many doing so well. I am semi-retired from drag and a full time Realtor but I still love the stage at 46. It would be awesome to have an Icon show someday and get everyone back together. Just a thought, Thank you all for your knowledge, help and kindness to us that were just starting out.
I want to thank you for noticing that not all the stars were "divas"; some of us enjoyed handing down the knowledge that was handed down to us! Please let me know how Miss Russell and Roxanne passed.
Toni Warren

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2010

DavidinMS wrote:
OMG! I am so glad to have found this forum.(Thank you, Google) I live in Indy from 1970-1980, was there for grad. school. But was during this time that my gay identity was beginning to formulate. And a BIG part of that process was the Famous Door. Coming from southern Mississippi, I had never seen a drag show, until a friend took me one memorable night in 1971. I was hooked. Well do I remember Tracy Adams, Ricki Summers, Sasha D'or, Angel Foster, and you, Toni. In the late 70's, after having not been to the club for a long while, I drove past the site, and found it...gone. Completely. Made me very sad. Over the years, I have tried to reestablish some ties to friends I had, names I knew in Indy. All to no success. So reading this forum has been such a joy. I am now 61, and have worked as an RN for 25 years, the last several in an ICU. Hope someone reads this and understands my appreciation for the contact and the updates. Sending love.
How nice of you to remember me! Thank you so very much! I know - the Famous Door is now a parking lot; they've even taken out the cement slab from the sidewalk that we all wrote our names in the fresh cement the day the laid it! I also noticed Bette K Club (1809)North Central has been long gone, but the entry way to the parking lot is still there. A house stands where Bette's did, but the iron post base is still in the front yard. Wonder if the tenants have visits from the spirits of Kris Kross, Terri Paige, Bess Anderson, Audrey Brien, Jackie Knight and Tracy Adams? Wonder if they even know what used to be there BEFORE their house was built? Who knows?
Elevation Night Club

Cathedral City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2011

The owners of this fine bar have been in the business for years and they know good talent when they see it. Elevation Night Club has the best drag show in the valley and the entertainers perform every Saturday Night at 9pm. Google: Elevation Night Club, Cathedral City, California. We are upstairs with some of the best views of the mountains and real close to the 10 freeway. Where located between Rancho Mirage and Palm Springs. www.evelationnightclub.com
ruthie dix

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Stella Raye wrote:
Love Stella.
hey stella doing good I hope miss you hun love ruthie
Mark

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2012

ruth dix wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Toni Ruth here Still Alive
Not sure if you knew Strawbella, but she passed last month.
ALso remember Natashe Edwards
Indy 1970

Charlottetown, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Re Tracy Adams.
So sad to hear of Tracy's passing. Can anyone offer more details? She was the first drag queen performer I ever saw and I will never forget her performances of "Take a Bow" and many others.
Thank you for your time.
Toni Warren

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Indy 1970 wrote:
Re Tracy Adams.
So sad to hear of Tracy's passing. Can anyone offer more details? She was the first drag queen performer I ever saw and I will never forget her performances of "Take a Bow" and many others.
Thank you for your time.
I worked with Tracy for many years in many clubw here in Indy. I was told that she passed away from a very sudden, severe heart attack at her "straight" job. Supposedly, an employee of that bank found her when they came in to open the next morning. Please know this is only what I was told.
Be that as it may, I was so sad; we had so many years of wonderful, wonderful friendship. So many laughs (and mixed drinks containing vodka) we shared; they just don't make 'em like her anymore.
Clay

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

This thread is SICK !!!

And you people want to be accepted by society?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the Moreno Valley Forum right now

Search the Moreno Valley Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Colton police chief quits acting city manager role 1 hr Who is laughing now 1
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 3 hr Mis kites 15,915
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr lackers 200,328
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Wed Ocean 7,835
Review: Destroyer Automotive Inc (Sep '11) Wed All post by one person 22
pastors who lie (May '08) Tue Daddy BigDick 1,114
Excessive Heat Watch for Riverside County start... Jul 22 Noyb 2
•••
•••

Moreno Valley News Video

•••
Moreno Valley Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••