Comments
1 - 20 of 133 Comments Last updated Feb 20, 2013
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Watermark

Jackson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 24, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Representative Paul Ryan, R-WI said in 2011:

"Right now, according to the Tax Foundation, between 60 and 70% of Americans get more benefits from the federal government than they pay back in taxes. So we're getting towards a society where we have a net majority of takers versus makers."

Included on this list is Social Security and Medicare. He further implies that government programs drain your initiative and lulls able-bodied people to lives of dependency and complacency.

Paul Ryan himself received Social Security survivors benefits until his 18th birthday following a family tragedy, which were used to pay for his college education.

Did this government program drain his initiative? Did it lull him into dependency or complacency? It it turn him into a victim, or give him opportunity?

Some should question their Republican mindset ask if they are simply the party of the mean.
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I hope Rep Ryan will obstruct Obama's desire to cut SocSec and Medicare benefits.
guest

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Watermark wrote:
Representative Paul Ryan, R-WI said in 2011:

"Right now, according to the Tax Foundation, between 60 and 70% of Americans get more benefits from the federal government than they pay back in taxes. So we're getting towards a society where we have a net majority of takers versus makers."

Included on this list is Social Security and Medicare. He further implies that government programs drain your initiative and lulls able-bodied people to lives of dependency and complacency.

Paul Ryan himself received Social Security survivors benefits until his 18th birthday following a family tragedy, which were used to pay for his college education.

Did this government program drain his initiative? Did it lull him into dependency or complacency? It it turn him into a victim, or give him opportunity?

Some should question their Republican mindset ask if they are simply the party of the mean.
Again you pick & choose the parts of a statement & run stupidly with it! I'll spoon feed you so you can understand his point. The majority of people receiving benefits from the government waste them. They do not save them or use them to better themselves. They have no plan of how they are going to become independent. They do not enroll in college or vo-tech school. They do not think about next month let alone next year. Their only 5 or 10 year plan is to keep on sucking up benefits. Their idea of betterment is "how much more can I get"? See Mr Ryan is a success story. While he did use a government benefit, he used it wisely. He furthered his education. He graduated from high school & went on to college. He studied & made good grades. He graduated from college. He went on to be a productive member of society. He's morally, physically & financially responsible. He's more than paid back his fair share. He's not dependent on the government to support him or his family. Now I'm not saying that everyone who receives any type of benefit will remain dependent on the government. However, the majority are & when they procreate, more than likely their offspring will continue the cycle. I'm sure that even you can figure out that when the takers far exceed the givers, there is no way that system can be sustained.
1911-A1

Bloomfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

He can't help it. Just pat em on the head. Say good boy. And go on about ya buisness.
Watermark

Jackson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you pick & choose the parts of a statement & run stupidly with it! I'll spoon feed you so you can understand his point. The majority of people receiving benefits from the government waste them. They do not save them or use them to better themselves. They have no plan of how they are going to become independent.
You're missing the larger point that illustrates the hypocrisy in his words and now yours. You are painting with a broad brush that encompass large numbers of seniors, disabled veterans and other people just like Ryan who suffered a horrible event. Furthermore, the rate of welfare dependance is far, far less than the majority of this nation's population. This site:

http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/indicators08/rb.shtml

provides a graph that clearly illustrates recipient and dependency rates rates 1993-2005.

The hypocrisy occurs when Ryan classifies these people as takers when he himself once would of been clearly grouped in and classified as a "taker" at a point in his life.

GOP: Party of the Mean
Watermark

Jackson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

1911-A1 wrote:
He can't help it. Just pat em on the head. Say good boy. And go on about ya buisness.
That's right, you just keep cheer-leading on the sidelines.
1911-A1

Bloomfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 25, 2013
 
Just watching you make a fool of yourself. Only you thinks your right. Lol you do make me laugh tho.
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

quote

"The majority of people receiving benefits from the government waste them. blah blah blah"

Merely your opinion based on nothing.
1911-A1

Bloomfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

bufu wrote:
quote

"The majority of people receiving benefits from the government waste them. blah blah blah"

Merely your opinion based on nothing.
Ok. I was at the Walmart in town. Lady in front of me had a cart full of food. 7 or 8 kids. All had Nike shoes on. Nice clothes. Half had a phone. The "mother" had 2 phones and one was stuck in her ear the whole time. There was steaks laid out on the counter. Snacks. Junk food. Bill came to over 200 bucks. And oh hell. She whips out the EBT card. Out of her bra no less.

So you tell me that's not a waste of my hard earned money. She is too fat and lazy to get a job.
guest

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Watermark wrote:
<quoted text>You're missing the larger point that illustrates the hypocrisy in his words and now yours. You are painting with a broad brush that encompass large numbers of seniors, disabled veterans and other people just like Ryan who suffered a horrible event. Furthermore, the rate of welfare dependance is far, far less than the majority of this nation's population. This site:

http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/indicators08/rb.shtml

provides a graph that clearly illustrates recipient and dependency rates rates 1993-2005.

The hypocrisy occurs when Ryan classifies these people as takers when he himself once would of been clearly grouped in and classified as a "taker" at a point in his life.

GOP: Party of the Mean
And you are too stupid to understand my point! I (and so many others) have NO problem giving someone a HELPING HAND. It's the continual HAND OUT that has become a way of life, that must stop! Let me be crystal clear Social Security benefits for the elderly & truly disabled is NOT welfare! They are "monies" that were paid for by the recipient. Now SSI disability is income provided to recipients who have not earned "enough credits". This group is made up of children who have lost one or both parents, special needs children & adults, as well as those who are disabled physically but have not worked enough as an adult to qualify for SS disability. I think it's fair to say that there lies a fair amount of corruption in some who claim to be "disabled", surely you can appreciate that fact! Veterans are receiving employment benefits that were part of an employment package. They are NOT welfare benefits! I think it's pretty safe to say that there isn't much fraud going on w/regards to veterans. Your little graph ended SEVEN YEARS AGO, 3 years before your precious Obama took office! If your going to try to be informative, use up to date information & links!
Democrats: Party of the Stupid
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Your anecdote, providing it's true which I doubt, does not prove that the majority of people receiving govt benefits waste those benefits.
guest

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 25, 2013
 
bufu wrote:
quote

"The majority of people receiving benefits from the government waste them. blah blah blah"

Merely your opinion based on nothing.
Go back to mommy's basement. "Blah blah blah"
guest

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

bufu wrote:
Your anecdote, providing it's true which I doubt, does not prove that the majority of people receiving govt benefits waste those benefits.
I'm trying to explain the difference between true welfare & real earned benefits are, obviously a discussion that you know nothing about & are completely lost on! I wasn't even addressing you, don't you have some Dungeons & Dragons to play or comic books to look at? Run along, dear! The grown ups are talking!
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 25, 2013
 
We all know that you hold conservative opinions. That's OK.
guest

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1911-A1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. I was at the Walmart in town. Lady in front of me had a cart full of food. 7 or 8 kids. All had Nike shoes on. Nice clothes. Half had a phone. The "mother" had 2 phones and one was stuck in her ear the whole time. There was steaks laid out on the counter. Snacks. Junk food. Bill came to over 200 bucks. And oh hell. She whips out the EBT card. Out of her bra no less.
So you tell me that's not a waste of my hard earned money. She is too fat and lazy to get a job.
See this all the time. Walmart and the Food Giant stores.
Watermark

Jackson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

1911-A1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. I was at the Walmart in town. Lady in front of me had a cart full of food. 7 or 8 kids. All had Nike shoes on. Nice clothes. Half had a phone. The "mother" had 2 phones and one was stuck in her ear the whole time. There was steaks laid out on the counter. Snacks. Junk food. Bill came to over 200 bucks. And oh hell. She whips out the EBT card. Out of her bra no less.
So you tell me that's not a waste of my hard earned money. She is too fat and lazy to get a job.
Yes, yes we've all heard the "fat lady w/ an iPhone buying steaks using an EBT card" story time and time again on nearly every social media page or blog. But I again point out that you cannot denounce, by large percentage, recipients as "takers" when a good portion of that number are the working poor, disabled veterans and seniors. Oh, and of course people just like Paul Ryan.
1911-A1

Bloomfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 25, 2013
 
Yep. It's a damn shame my tax dollars are supporting her fat ass and all the kids.
guest

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

bufu wrote:
Your anecdote, providing it's true which I doubt, does not prove that the majority of people receiving govt benefits waste those benefits.
Bufu, waste on these programs have been going on since they started.

Back when people got commondities some people lied to get them. We had neighbors that didn't qualify for them yet got them and complained about what they got for nothing. This was 40 years ago. I wonder if it is even possible to put a money amount on fraud for these programs.
Watermark

Jackson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1911-A1 wrote:
Yep. It's a damn shame my tax dollars are supporting her fat ass and all the kids.
The sick irony is that your kids will also be cared for, if needed, in the event something happens to you like it did to Paul Ryan's father. But can you even fathom that? No, you'd just rather hate on the mythical overweight lady with an iPhone.
1911-A1

Bloomfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Watermark wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, yes we've all heard the "fat lady w/ an iPhone buying steaks using an EBT card" story time and time again on nearly every social media page or blog. But I again point out that you cannot denounce, by large percentage, recipients as "takers" when a good portion of that number are the working poor, disabled veterans and seniors. Oh, and of course people just like Paul Ryan.
Nope. I say they are the people like you. People that believe its the governments responsibility to take care of you.
I take care of me. Not your government.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Morehouse Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association (May '10) 6 min night machine 3,157
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 10 min Retired SOF 990
keep 1 drop 1 = + 3 stacked (Dec '13) 13 min night machine 1,352
- end of the Word game - (Jul '11) 13 min Princess Hey 2,562
what do you have on? 16 min Princess Hey 114
Two words-last lettet of last word game (Sep '13) 18 min night machine 1,242
Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Dec '09) 21 min night machine 10,247

Search the Morehouse Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Morehouse Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Morehouse People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Morehouse News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Morehouse
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••