Wisdom keep posting
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
go for it

Grayson, KY

#1 Feb 9, 2014
Wisdom keep posting,you are the main reason I go to topix. Nothing you say makes good sense ,but your never ending arguing is something to read ,and beats the heck out of reruns on TV.It should be titled "Everybody Hates Wisdom" & should be made into a new comedy show. And if you look the part as I picture you,an old pinched face woman,wearing bi-focal glasses and typing with one finger than "Everybody Hates Chris " and "Everybody loves Raymond" want stand a chance on TV.
Wisdom

Latonia, KY

#2 Feb 10, 2014
Thank you. Someday you will grow in your mental prowess and realize that I am indeed right. As I have long said, surround yourself with people you seek to inspire and persuade you. At least being open enough to opposing thoughts is a major first step for some. Next Google what I say to verify and validate the truth, you will find the truth is not always embedded with the White House media spun by Media Matters.

As always, prove me wrong.
Ann

Montezuma, GA

#3 Feb 10, 2014
Wisdom wrote:
As I have long said, surround yourself with people you seek to inspire and persuade you.
Is that why you stick around? You want to "inspire" us, but want us to persuade you?

I wish there were a way to persuade you to consider all aspects of a topic instead of just assuming your narrow view is the only correct one.

I wish there were a way to persuade you to engage in thoughtful dialogue instead of simply regurgitating/cutting-and-past ing things you've seen elsewhere. You claim to have a brain, so why don't you prove it. How about posting things in your own words for a change.

I wish there were a way to persuade you that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If you'd stop calling people names and insulting them, they just might be more willing to listen to what you have to say. Of course, they have the right to think you're still wrong, but that's the beauty of living in America, right? Each of our voices is just as important as the other's.

I'm sure you'll continue to post your narrowminded opinions, and I'm sure you'll call anyone who disagrees with your opinion a dolt. I'm sure you'll continue to say "prove me wrong" when its actually your responsibility to prove yourself right.(Which is practically impossible, since opinions are not facts and therefore cannot be proven to be right.)

You know what? That's fine. You go on posting your nonsense, some will continue to read it, others will continue to roll their eyes at you, and still others will continue to think you need a psychiatric evaluation. I hope you find yourself appropriately persuaded.

As for the inspiration part, it's difficult to inspire others when you're so negative. If you truly wish to inspire those you choose to surround yourself with, you might benefit from a positive attitude seminar or something. Or, if you enjoy being a Negative Nancy, perhaps you could find a group of folks who are similar to you in their negativity to (attempt to) inspire. Either way, your current approach to inspiring this audience is not working. You might feel more successful if you try something else. Another audience, perhaps?
answer this

Grayson, KY

#4 Feb 10, 2014
Wisdom wrote:
Thank you. Someday you will grow in your mental prowess and realize that I am indeed right. As I have long said, surround yourself with people you seek to inspire and persuade you. At least being open enough to opposing thoughts is a major first step for some. Next Google what I say to verify and validate the truth, you will find the truth is not always embedded with the White House media spun by Media Matters.
As always, prove me wrong.
Wisdom ,read your own words copied from "say no to MW raise"
you wrote :
Under-educated: Never finished high school- 28%; High school diploma only- 29%, Some college or Associate degree-35%; Bachelor degree or higher -8%( probably Arts, Music, Anthropology degrees)

Now wisdom do you really believe that people even with an associate degree are "under-educated ?(You listed 35 %)Really wisdom you are so judgmental . How many jobs are there in Morehead (or that matter any city or town ) that has enough 4 year or beyond college positions open to hire everyone who needs a job. Yes an ideal world would be like that,but in the real world there is not enough of these jobs . Now think of the people needing jobs- how many full time bachelors & masters degree jobs are there in Morehead (filled or open )? Do your math and get back with us under-educated people .Waiting.And,by the way I do not care if you copy & post ,prove to us that there is or ever will be enough 4-to 6 yr college degree positions to hire everyone, if in fact EVERYYONE DID GET THESE DEGREES -show us numbers? I beat you wont .
answer this

Grayson, KY

#5 Feb 10, 2014
I took the liberty to look up college degree employment rate .. Read

Why are Recent College Graduates Underemployed?
University Enrollments and Labor Market Realities
underemployment
Political leaders, prominent foundations, and college presidents have argued that the nation must increase the proportion of adults with college degrees in order for America to remain competitive in the global economy. Supporting those positions, some have issued studies demonstrating that there is a significant earnings premium associated with the possession of a college degree. That is, college graduates tend to earn more in the labor market compared with those with only a high-school education, a differential that is large enough to justify the expenditure of increasingly large sums of money necessary to finance a college degree. A less optimistic story points out that, while there are undoubtedly many who benefit óeven quite substantially economically, from higher education, a not inconsequential number of Americans who obtain higher education do not achieve the economic gains traditionally accompanying the acquisition of college-level credentials. This study uses empirical evidence relating to labor markets to argue that a growing disconnect has evolved between employer needs and the volume and nature of college training of students, and that the growth of supply of college-educated labor is exceeding the growth in the demand for such labor in the labor market.
By Richard Vedder, Christopher Denhart, and Jonathan Robe | January 2013
Download the entire report (pdf, 37 pp.)
Bookmark and Share
Increasing numbers of recent college graduates are ending up in relatively low-skilled jobs that, historically, have gone to those with lower levels of educational attainment. This study examines this phenomenon in some detail, concluding:
About 48 percent of employed U.S. college graduates are in jobs that the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) suggests requires less than a four-year college education. Eleven percent of employed college graduates are in occupations requiring more than a high-school diploma but less than a bachelorís, and 37 percent are in occupations requiring no more than a high-school diploma;
The proportion of overeducated workers in occupations appears to have grown substantially; in 1970, fewer than one percent of taxi drivers and two percent of firefighters had college degrees, while now more than 15 percent do in both jobs;
About five million college graduates are in jobs the BLS says require less than a high-school education;
Comparing average college and high-school earnings is highly misleading as a guide for vocational success, given high college-dropout rates and the fact that overproduction of college graduates lowers recent graduate earnings relative to those graduating earlier;
Not all colleges are equal: Typical graduates of elite private schools make more than graduates of flagship state universities, but those graduates do much better than those attending relatively non-selective institutions;
Not all majors are equal: Engineering and economics graduates, for example, typically earn almost double what social work and education graduates receive by mid-career;
Past and projected future growth in college enrollments and the number of graduates exceeds the actual or projected growth in high-skilled jobs, explaining the development of the underemployment problem and its probable worsening in future years;
Rising college costs and perceived declines in economic benefits may well lead to declining enrollments and market share for traditional schools and the development of new methods of certifying occupation competence.
Richard Vedder directs the Center for College Affordability and Productivity (CCAP), is Distinguished Professor of Economics Emeritus at Ohio University, and is an Adjunct Scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.
Christopher Denhart is an undergraduate at Ohio University studying economics.
answer this

Grayson, KY

#6 Feb 10, 2014
My opinion (though unlike wisdom,I could be wrong ) it would seem one answer for too many college graduates and not enough job is :

1.Increase the minimum wage enough so that people could actually live on the salary without government aid .

2. This would help by not everyone trying to go to college,and a lot ending up disappointed by not finding a position open.

3. For many would not attend because of the many years of paying back the college loans.

4. Everyone would be happier,those who did pursue college could have less competition for finding work because fewer went to college,
4. Those who decided not to attend could still live a descent live style .
5. Or we could continue using the "minimum wage worker " as a slave labor,and no one wanting to work for MW and everyone attending college ,leaving a large number of college graduates unemployed .

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#7 Feb 10, 2014
answer this wrote:
My opinion (though unlike wisdom,I could be wrong ) it would seem one answer for too many college graduates and not enough job is :
1.Increase the minimum wage enough so that people could actually live on the salary without government aid .
2. This would help by not everyone trying to go to college,and a lot ending up disappointed by not finding a position open.
3. For many would not attend because of the many years of paying back the college loans.
4. Everyone would be happier,those who did pursue college could have less competition for finding work because fewer went to college,
4. Those who decided not to attend could still live a descent live style .
5. Or we could continue using the "minimum wage worker " as a slave labor,and no one wanting to work for MW and everyone attending college ,leaving a large number of college graduates unemployed .
Never really thought I would see the day BUT on the minimum wage issue I agree in principle with whizdumb. Raising MW isn't going to do anything at all to help people survive on minimum wage jobs. They aren't ever going to live a "descent live style", no matter their pay. Someone posted on that thread that MW should have increased to $16/hr to keep up with production. What do you think would happen if anyone with a HS diploma was making $16/hr? How do you think that would affect the price of the pizza that you order delivered to your home if the guy bringing it was making $16/hr + delivery fee and tip? I know, a wage increase for a person making nothing per hour sounds great and someone else was right when they pointed out that most MW jobs are very hard working but there's a reason for that. Little or NO deductive/inductive reasoning is needed to perform those jobs. That is not the topic of this thread so I don't really want to get into it here.
answer this

Grayson, KY

#8 Feb 10, 2014
aka will wrote:
<quoted text>
Never really thought I would see the day BUT on the minimum wage issue I agree in principle with whizdumb. Raising MW isn't going to do anything at all to help people survive on minimum wage jobs. They aren't ever going to live a "descent live style", no matter their pay. Someone posted on that thread that MW should have increased to $16/hr to keep up with production. What do you think would happen if anyone with a HS diploma was making $16/hr? How do you think that would affect the price of the pizza that you order delivered to your home if the guy bringing it was making $16/hr + delivery fee and tip? I know, a wage increase for a person making nothing per hour sounds great and someone else was right when they pointed out that most MW jobs are very hard working but there's a reason for that. Little or NO deductive/inductive reasoning is needed to perform those jobs. That is not the topic of this thread so I don't really want to get into it here.
Actually minimum wage increase would help"them to survive better" (that's common sense. But we are worried about "us paying more." The increase is to be $10.10-not 16 dollars- and furthermore a lot of people do not make $16 an hour not just minimum wage workers ! No one is asking for that! The subject is what ever I feel like posting- do you see the heading,it is about wisdom ,and she is all about no increase on MW! on any and on her posts. And the fact still remains according to the bureau on labor statics on college graduates that there are not enough positions to fill the over-flow of graduates in today's job market. REASON: No one wants to work for MW so many pursue a college degree only to find disappointment because not enough jobs. Free speech- you post what you want -no problem here with that. glad you contributed to the post.
answer this

Grayson, KY

#9 Feb 10, 2014
Specifically, the unemployment rate for college graduates dropped to 3.9 percent from 4.0 percent over the past month. For those with a high school degree only, the unemployment rate increased from 7.9 percent to 8.1 percent. The overall unemployment rate is now at 13.0 percent, up slightly since April.
my note at bottom ,
When to many graduate there are not enough jobs available- wish it were not so,as my own grand kids are in college.
Wisdom

Latonia, KY

#10 Feb 10, 2014
who="answer this "
Wisdom ,read your own words copied from "say no to MW raise"
you wrote :
Under-educated: Never finished high school- 28%; High school diploma only- 29%, Some college or Associate degree-35%; Bachelor degree or higher -8%( probably Arts, Music, Anthropology degrees)
Now wisdom do you really believe that people even with an associate degree are "under-educated ?(You listed 35 %)Really wisdom you are so judgmental . How many jobs are there in Morehead (or that matter any city or town ) that has enough 4 year or beyond college positions open to hire everyone who needs a job. Yes an ideal world would be like that,but in the real world there is not enough of these jobs . Now think of the people needing jobs- how many full time bachelors & masters degree jobs are there in Morehead (filled or open )? Do your math and get back with us under-educated people .Waiting.And,by the way I do not care if you copy & post ,prove to us that there is or ever will be enough 4-to 6 yr college degree positions to hire everyone, if in fact EVERYYONE DID GET THESE DEGREES -show us numbers? I beat you wont .

Yes, an associates degree for some jobs is under-educated the minimum educational level acceptable within my field is a college degree, 4 yr. You do realize that even in most professional positions they are now mandating Doctorate degrees.

As far as trying to come up with the answer to your question is nearly an impossibility, and I doubt the economic director of Morehead has those answers...and the word is "bet" you won't.
WISDOM

Latonia, KY

#11 Feb 10, 2014
To partially answer the question here is the number of high school versus college graduates in town.....explains a lot of the individuals in town who frequent this site.

Morehead (city), Kentucky (THE FIRST SET OF NUMBERS, STATE IS SECOND SET)

Want more? Browse data sets for Morehead (city)
People QuickFacts Morehead Kentucky
Population, 2012 estimate 6,860 4,379,730
Population, 2010 (April 1) estimates base 6,845 4,339,357
Population, percent change, April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012 0.2% 0.9%
Population, 2010 6,845 4,339,367
Persons under 5 years, percent, 2010 3.8% 6.5%


White alone, percent, 2010 (a) 93.2% 87.8%
Black or African American alone, percent, 2010 (a) 3.2% 7.8%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent, 2010 (a) 0.2% 0.2%
Asian alone, percent, 2010 (a) 1.3% 1.1%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent, 2010 (a) Z 0.1%
Two or More Races, percent, 2010 1.4% 1.7%
Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010 (b) 1.9% 3.1%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010 92.1% 86.3%

Living in same house 1 year & over, percent, 2008-2012 73.4% 84.9%
Foreign born persons, percent, 2008-2012 0.4% 3.2%
Language other than English spoken at home, pct age 5+, 2008-2012 2.2% 4.8%
High school graduate or higher, percent of persons age 25+, 2008-2012 82.2% <- MOREHEAD 82.4%
Bachelor's degree or higher, percent of persons age 25+, 2008-2012 37.1%<- MOREHEAD 21.0%
WISDOM

Latonia, KY

#12 Feb 10, 2014
who="aka will"
Never really thought I would see the day BUT on the minimum wage issue I agree in principle with whizdumb. Raising MW isn't going to do anything at all to help people survive on minimum wage jobs. They aren't ever going to live a "descent live style", no matter their pay. Someone posted on that thread that MW should have increased to $16/hr to keep up with production. What do you think would happen if anyone with a HS diploma was making $16/hr? How do you think that would affect the price of the pizza that you order delivered to your home if the guy bringing it was making $16/hr + delivery fee and tip? I know, a wage increase for a person making nothing per hour sounds great and someone else was right when they pointed out that most MW jobs are very hard working but there's a reason for that. Little or NO deductive/inductive reasoning is needed to perform those jobs. That is not the topic of this thread so I don't really want to get into it here.

YOU SEE FOLKS, EVEN WHEN SOME WHO LOATHES ME AS MUCH AS BILLY AGREES WITH ME..IT SHOWS I AM A) TRUTHFUL IN MY LOGIC B) EVEN THE WORST ADVERSARY CAN BE UNITED BY TRUTH, AND RATIONALE.
Wisdom

Latonia, KY

#13 Feb 10, 2014
QUOTE who=answer this Specifically, the unemployment rate for college graduates dropped to 3.9 percent from 4.0 percent over the past month. For those with a high school degree only, the unemployment rate increased from 7.9 percent to 8.1 percent. The overall unemployment rate is now at 13.0 percent, up slightly since April.
my note at bottom ,
When to many graduate there are not enough jobs available- wish it were not so,as my own grand kids are in college.
**********
Ask yourself how many college graduates dropped out of the job market simply giving up and are no longer counted...this might account for the small change in percents. Likewise, how many are under-employed simply taking a part time job that will have their hours cut if the minimum wage goes up, or when ObamaCare tax hits the employers.
Can you read

Grayson, KY

#14 Feb 10, 2014
Wisdom wrote:
Thank you. Someday you will grow in your mental prowess and realize that I am indeed right. As I have long said, surround yourself with people you seek to inspire and persuade you. At least being open enough to opposing thoughts is a major first step for some. Next Google what I say to verify and validate the truth, you will find the truth is not always embedded with the White House media spun by Media Matters.
As always, prove me wrong.
WISDOM THE POST ON HERE ABOUT "NOT ENOUGH JOBS FOR ALL COLLEGE DEGREE GRADUATES " PROVES YOU WRONG. BUT YOU WILL NOT READ OR BELIEVE IT.( You are the one not excepting opposing thoughts )

This study uses empirical evidence relating to labor markets to argue that a growing disconnect has evolved between employer needs and the volume and nature of college training of students, and that the growth of supply of college-educated labor is exceeding the growth in the demand for such labor in the labor market.
By Richard Vedder, Christopher Denhart, and Jonathan Robe | January 2013
Download the entire report (pdf, 37 pp.)
Bookmark and Share
Increasing numbers of recent college graduates are ending up in relatively low-skilled jobs that, historically, have gone to those with lower levels of educational attainment. This study examines this phenomenon in some detail, concluding:
About 48 percent of employed U.S. college graduates are in jobs that the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) suggests requires less than a four-year college education. Eleven percent of employed college graduates are in occupations requiring more than a high-school diploma but less than a bachelorís, and 37 percent are in occupations requiring no more than a high-school diploma;
The proportion of overeducated workers in occupations appears to have grown substantially; in 1970, fewer than one percent of taxi drivers and two percent of firefighters had college degrees, while now more than 15 percent do in both jobs;
About five million college graduates are in jobs the BLS says require less than a high-school
Not all colleges are equal: Typical graduates of elite private schools make more than graduates of flagship state universities, but those graduates do much better than those attending relatively non-selective institutions;
Not all majors are equal: Engineering and economics graduates, for example, typically earn almost double what social work and education graduates receive by mid-career;
Past and projected future growth in college enrollments and the number of graduates exceeds the actual or projected growth in high-skilled jobs, explaining the development of the underemployment problem and its probable worsening in future years;
Rising college costs and perceived declines in economic benefits may well lead to declining enrollments and market share for traditional schools and the development of new methods of certifying occupation competence.
Richard Vedder directs the Center for College Affordability and Productivity (CCAP), is Distinguished Professor of Economics Emeritus at Ohio University, and is an Adjunct Scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.
Christopher Denhart is an undergraduate at Ohio University studying economics.
Wisdom

Latonia, KY

#15 Feb 10, 2014
Yes, and as I have said if you have the right major, or the right skill set you will be in need.

Ex.:(from your post...I read-) Not all majors are equal: Engineering and economics graduates, for example, typically earn almost double what social work and education graduates receive by mid-career; (and thus will be in demand. If you go back to my posts on minimum wage, I specifically point out a lot of liberal arts jobs are not high paying or in high demand. Thus, a well place skilled job will pay more than some liberal arts majors.

That is why you plan what you want to do, execute your plan and then find the right job market....and move to the job. It won't come to you.
Can you read

Grayson, KY

#16 Feb 10, 2014
Wisdom wrote:
Yes, and as I have said if you have the right major, or the right skill set you will be in need.
Ex.:(from your post...I read-) Not all majors are equal: Engineering and economics graduates, for example, typically earn almost double what social work and education graduates receive by mid-career; (and thus will be in demand. If you go back to my posts on minimum wage, I specifically point out a lot of liberal arts jobs are not high paying or in high demand. Thus, a well place skilled job will pay more than some liberal arts majors.
That is why you plan what you want to do, execute your plan and then find the right job market....and move to the job. It won't come to you.
Re-read dear wisdom,
This study uses empirical evidence relating to labor markets to argue that a growing disconnect has evolved between employer needs and the volume and nature of college training of students, and that the growth of supply of college-educated labor is exceeding the growth in the demand for such labor in the labor market.
By Richard Vedder, Christopher Denhart, and Jonathan Robe | January 2013
Download the entire report (pdf, 37 pp.)
SEE- too many graduates not enough jobs.
I wish we lived in the ideal world where everyone who obtained a 4yr or more degree got jobs,but just as this article and even the bureau of labor say ,there are not enough such positions today. 40 yrs ago yes,but with so many pursuing a 4 yr college degree today ,there is just not enough jobs . I hate this too as my own grand kids are in college .
Wisdom

Latonia, KY

#17 Feb 10, 2014
Given the fact that ObamaCare is going to liberate so many individuals from working the labor market may open up to the higher qualified amongst us.

The cream will rise to the top, and aways find a way to be successful. Given the fact this president has done all he can do to fulfill his dreams of Cloward and Piven strategy of collapse and reshaping our government, yes job markets have constricted..but for those of you who voted for him...own it, you asked for it. Many of you will repeat stupidity come 2014, 2016. Enjoy the consequences of your actions.

Take a look at Obombas' policies and you will see his loathing of a capitalist successful country.( Remember he wanted to fundamentality change Amerikka...and he is.)
smh

Hillsboro, KY

#18 Feb 10, 2014
Any idiot knows that increasing MW stimulates a slow economy. When people spend more money it creates more jobs. Economy 101 for you dolts against it. Increasing wages for execs however doesn't do anything for the economy since they tend to put it in savings or investment portfoloios. Our ecomony thrives on the little man. If that weren't true there wouldn't be a walmart and dollar store on every corner. No common sense is the problem on this site and in this country.
Wisdom

Latonia, KY

#19 Feb 10, 2014
True Democrat philosophy- wonder who will be paying for those who stop working, work less than 30 hours, claim workmans' comp and other forms of government support?

THE OTHER WORKERS. GUESS YOU CAN TAKE LESS MONEY AND MORE GOVERNMENT TEAT ACCORDING TO THE DEMOCRATS.

This Week With George Stephanopoulos, Congressman Keith Ellison (D-MN) said the loss of work hours due to Obamacare could actually be a good thing because Americans work too much anyway, compared to people in other industrialized countries.

(Of course our standard of living is better than theirs, but Barry wants us to be a second class country so the rest of the world will like us....)

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#20 Feb 10, 2014
WISDOM wrote:
who="aka will"
Never really thought I would see the day BUT on the minimum wage issue I agree in principle with whizdumb. Raising MW isn't going to do anything at all to help people survive on minimum wage jobs. They aren't ever going to live a "descent live style", no matter their pay. Someone posted on that thread that MW should have increased to $16/hr to keep up with production. What do you think would happen if anyone with a HS diploma was making $16/hr? How do you think that would affect the price of the pizza that you order delivered to your home if the guy bringing it was making $16/hr + delivery fee and tip? I know, a wage increase for a person making nothing per hour sounds great and someone else was right when they pointed out that most MW jobs are very hard working but there's a reason for that. Little or NO deductive/inductive reasoning is needed to perform those jobs. That is not the topic of this thread so I don't really want to get into it here.
YOU SEE FOLKS, EVEN WHEN SOME WHO LOATHES ME AS MUCH AS BILLY AGREES WITH ME..IT SHOWS I AM A) TRUTHFUL IN MY LOGIC B) EVEN THE WORST ADVERSARY CAN BE UNITED BY TRUTH, AND RATIONALE.
you're just a bit ahead of yourself. I don't "loath" you, I am indifferent to you. Were I to loath you it would be mean I have given you more than you deserve of me. Second, you ever hear the saying, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while"? Well, blind squirrel, you have found the nut. Congratulations! I have told you many many times that I am a Republican. My views are mostly fiscally conservative and in most cases tend toward liberal in subjects of personal liberty.

You and I are in agreement on this issue Don't get your britches in a bunch about it. It could be just as easy for me to say that you have finally come around and pulled your head out of Rush's ass but I won't. I realize that for this we agree and leave it at that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 42 min Cczar 167,991
who is the biggest stud at rchs this year 3 hr Winkey links 10
Does food stamp office help with paper work I r... 3 hr DEE 1
The most useless President 3 hr Andy 791
Meth dealers in Rowan county 5 hr Andy 17
Thank you President Obama (Sep '12) 5 hr Andy 555
Rowan County Attorney (Jan '14) 11 hr Danchris88 56

Morehead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morehead Mortgages