Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Dec 17, 2012
Nugget

Morehead, KY

#1 Aug 25, 2011
Anyone herad of him? Or if hes any good? Thanks for your help...
NEWS

Morehead, KY

#2 Aug 25, 2011
no
yes

Olive Hill, KY

#3 Aug 26, 2011
heard he's a very good, smart doctor
sarah wadell

Olive Hill, KY

#4 Dec 6, 2012
He was thr rudest smug man i have ever met! He would not listen and couldnt wsit to geg out the door. I tried to file a complaint to no avail. J have never heen trested so badly by anothef human beinv i feel sorry gof his wife!
sarah wadell

Olive Hill, KY

#5 Dec 6, 2012
Plz exuse typo. Thiss kindle has horrable keys and auto correct
Me Too

Morehead, KY

#6 Dec 10, 2012
I went to see him one time, he couldn't wait to get out the door and seemed to constantly be playing on his iPad. I could see the screen and he wasn't doing any note taking. I had heard a lot of really good things about him when he first came, but most I know who went to him and liked him at first say they are no longer happy. I was hopeful he would be good for the community, but I guess I was wrong.
teresa

Morehead, KY

#7 Dec 12, 2012
Me Too wrote:
I went to see him one time, he couldn't wait to get out the door and seemed to constantly be playing on his iPad. I could see the screen and he wasn't doing any note taking. I had heard a lot of really good things about him when he first came, but most I know who went to him and liked him at first say they are no longer happy. I was hopeful he would be good for the community, but I guess I was wrong.
I dont know what either of you are talking about. I have been going to him since last yr and also recently started seeing the other Dr Ashley that works with him. They are both very caring nice.
Ashley is a PA not a Dr

Morehead, KY

#8 Dec 12, 2012
She's never been to med school
correction

Dahlonega, GA

#9 Dec 12, 2012
Ashley is a PA not a Dr wrote:
She's never been to med school
That is not accurate, I think you are confusing a PA with a nurse or NP (Nurse Practitioner). A physician assistant (PA) is a medical professional who works as part of a team with a doctor. A PA is a graduate of an accredited PA educational program who is nationally certified and state-licensed to practice medicine with the supervision of a physician (which does not have to be on site, it can be a reviewal of records at a later time). PAs perform physical examinations, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret lab tests, perform procedures, assist in surgery, provide patient education and counseling and make rounds in hospitals and nursing homes.

This is the AAPA site, which gives a lot of information on PA's http://www.aapa.org/the_pa_profession/what_is...

I personally prefer to see NP's, and have seen 2 of them here in Morehead. They are able to diagnose, prescribe meds, order procedures, etc. They are often more current on medical information and can be easier to get in to see.
Just a little help

United States

#10 Dec 17, 2012
Just to help clarify between a NP and a PA...Nurse practitioners (NPs) work in a variety of settings. So do physician assistants (PAs). They can both be found in hospitals and clinics, from rural to urban practices. PAs care for a variety of conditions. So do NPs. They both treat illnesses, provide patient teaching and prescribe medications, often acting as the primary care provider.

But there is a difference.

"When the patient asks me what the difference is between a PA and an NP, the difference is really in our training and our background," said Physician Assistant Patrick Killeen, president of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA). "Both are important members of the health care team┐To the patient, it may or may not matter, but to the provider, it may make a difference as to how that medical knowledge has been obtained."

PAs follow a medical type of model for training. Most PAs have a master's degree. They attend programs that focus on the medical aspects of health care, training them to be general practitioners, though PAs can specialize in everything from primary care to pediatrics and general surgical care. Nine to 15 months of the program is spent in supervised clinical training, according to the Physician Assistant Education Association and the AAPA.

Similarly, NPs also hold advanced degrees┐either master's or doctorate degrees.

Nurse practitioners have, on average, over 10 years of nursing experience before they go into their practitionership," said Nurse Prac-titioner Mary Jo Goolsby, director of research and education at the Ameri-can Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). "We're a little bit different from some clinicians who come in right out of school."

NPs must hold previous nursing degrees to qualify for the graduate programs as well as professional nursing experience prior to entering school. Students are taught by other NPs, according to the AANP. Like PAs, NPs can practice in a variety of specialty areas.

In the end, both NPs and PAs are licensed and accredited by exam.

NPs and PAs practice in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., though practice is regulated state-to-state. Both professions also have prescriptive rights in all 50 states, with some limitations varying from state to state.

"While some states have no requirements for an NP to have a collaborative relationship with a physician or other providers, so that they are more 'independent,' other states do have requirements for some level of collaborative agreement to be in place," Goolsby said.

For PAs, a physician is the head of the practice, Killeen said, but there is still a great deal of autonomy. He described a PA in rural Wyoming who practices under a physician available by phone and by Internet, but he is the primary care provider for his patients.

"And that's our goal, that within accordance with state laws, PAs are able to practice within the full extent of their license," he said.

Goolsby said there is one thing that remains constant between NPs and PAs: "At the end of the day, if a person is being treated for any condition, the standard of care should be the same."
common courtesy

Norcross, GA

#11 Dec 17, 2012
Just a little help wrote:
Just to help clarify between a NP and a PA...Nurse practitioners (NPs) work in a variety of settings. So do physician assistants (PAs). They can both be found in hospitals and clinics, from rural to urban practices. PAs care for a variety of conditions. So do NPs. They both treat illnesses, provide patient teaching and prescribe medications, often acting as the primary care provider.
But there is a difference.
"When the patient asks me what the difference is between a PA and an NP, the difference is really in our training and our background," said Physician Assistant Patrick Killeen, president of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA). "Both are important members of the health care team┐To the patient, it may or may not matter, but to the provider, it may make a difference as to how that medical knowledge has been obtained."
PAs follow a medical type of model for training. Most PAs have a master's degree. They attend programs that focus on the medical aspects of health care, training them to be general practitioners, though PAs can specialize in everything from primary care to pediatrics and general surgical care. Nine to 15 months of the program is spent in supervised clinical training, according to the Physician Assistant Education Association and the AAPA.
Similarly, NPs also hold advanced degrees┐either master's or doctorate degrees.
Nurse practitioners have, on average, over 10 years of nursing experience before they go into their practitionership," said Nurse Prac-titioner Mary Jo Goolsby, director of research and education at the Ameri-can Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). "We're a little bit different from some clinicians who come in right out of school."
NPs must hold previous nursing degrees to qualify for the graduate programs as well as professional nursing experience prior to entering school. Students are taught by other NPs, according to the AANP. Like PAs, NPs can practice in a variety of specialty areas.
In the end, both NPs and PAs are licensed and accredited by exam.
NPs and PAs practice in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., though practice is regulated state-to-state. Both professions also have prescriptive rights in all 50 states, with some limitations varying from state to state.
"While some states have no requirements for an NP to have a collaborative relationship with a physician or other providers, so that they are more 'independent,' other states do have requirements for some level of collaborative agreement to be in place," Goolsby said.
For PAs, a physician is the head of the practice, Killeen said, but there is still a great deal of autonomy. He described a PA in rural Wyoming who practices under a physician available by phone and by Internet, but he is the primary care provider for his patients.
"And that's our goal, that within accordance with state laws, PAs are able to practice within the full extent of their license," he said.
Goolsby said there is one thing that remains constant between NPs and PAs: "At the end of the day, if a person is being treated for any condition, the standard of care should be the same."
When quoting an excerpt, or an entire article, such as this, credit should be given to the original author or a source provided.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 2 min Big rig 71 2,072
booming noise 4 min and no one cares 14
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min Republicans Are S... 151,462
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 23 min Republicans Are S... 16,150
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 59 min ChromiuMan 130,611
Any lonely ladies looking for company? 4 hr Newtotown35 4
Mountainview Apartments, Morehead KY 13 hr Momma44 2
•••
•••
•••

Morehead Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Morehead People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE