First Prev
of 4
Next Last
morehead

Morehead, KY

#1 Apr 16, 2012
Can anyone tell us when the IGA is going in where Slones used to be. Miss this store location really bad. I hate Walmart. Don't go there either. Can't find anything in the other stores because I am not used to the location of items.
uhh

Grayson, KY

#2 Apr 18, 2012
Kroger says they are buying and putting a small slones there
uhh

Grayson, KY

#3 Apr 18, 2012
putting a small kroger there sorry
drownin in footware

Morehead, KY

#4 Apr 18, 2012
WHAT NO I hate krogers and walmart... thats stupid... Kroger meats have been recalled so much... Put IGA back or something... Aldi's would be nice.
Jerry Springers

Lexington, KY

#5 Apr 18, 2012
If the People of this town really wanted a store there they would have supported the ones that were there.
wanted to

Newburgh, IN

#6 Apr 18, 2012
Jerry Springers wrote:
If the People of this town really wanted a store there they would have supported the ones that were there.
There are those of us who wanted to. I loved the fact that it was so closer to home than other places. But their prices were so much higher and their selection was very limited. In a bad economy where people are struggling to make ends meet, you go where the prices are lowest. I prefer Kroger to Walmart. But when I can save over a dollar per item on stuff I buy routinely at Walmart, the decision is a no-brainer.
drownin in footware

Morehead, KY

#7 Apr 18, 2012
If people wouldn't have robbed it so many times maybe it would still be there..
yea

Morehead, KY

#8 Apr 18, 2012
Those little punks that robbed it caused alot of the store closing,real pieces of sh#t!!!They needed a armed night watchman after the first time,they would have got their asses shot off the second time
well

Morehead, KY

#9 Apr 19, 2012
Umm from what I heard ppl that were working there robbed them too.
drownin in footware

Grayson, KY

#10 Apr 19, 2012
yea thats what im talking about... people are just stupid... those kids that did that are stupid for robbing somewhere in the first place... most of the time ur not gonna get away with robbin anywhere...
Morehead Dude

Morehead, KY

#11 Apr 19, 2012
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Allen Brothers are going to
reopen the store. A public notice will be made in the next 2 weeks. It would be great if people would support this local owned store and quit buying groceries from the big chain stores aka Walmart and Kroger. Come on everyone and let the Allen brothers know we appreciate having a downtown store again.
Appreciative

Newburgh, IN

#12 Apr 19, 2012
Morehead Dude wrote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Allen Brothers are going to
reopen the store. A public notice will be made in the next 2 weeks. It would be great if people would support this local owned store and quit buying groceries from the big chain stores aka Walmart and Kroger. Come on everyone and let the Allen brothers know we appreciate having a downtown store again.
I am happy to hear that and would be happy to support them. But appreciation goes both ways. We will show our appreciation by supporting them if they show their appreciation of their customer's support by keeping their prices competitive. We live off 60 and I would be thrilled to not have to drive clear through town to get to a store to buy essentials. But price is still an object, especially in this economy, and bottom line is that I have to weigh the convenience against the additional cost.
drownin in footware

Grayson, KY

#13 Apr 20, 2012
What is Allen Brothers?
notinthehead

Hickory, NC

#14 Apr 20, 2012
drownin in footware wrote:
What is Allen Brothers?
That store (what was Sloans) was orinilly built by Robert (Bobby) and Hubert (Hudie) Allen in the early 1960's. If you grew up in Morehead from the early 1960's through the mid 1980's you knew that store as Allen's IGA. You also listened to WMOR 1330AM and knew what time Paul Harvey and Tom Haggia came on. Allen's was locally owned and operated , with fair prices and good service. From what I have seen on my return trips to Morehead is most of the people go for "Bigger is Better. While it is true Walmart is cheaper on the high volume items, that is only while they have LOCAL competition. If the local shoppers would pay attention when the competition pulls out of a market , Walmart rises thier prices-many times to more than what the LOCAL bussiness's charged. I think the best plan for that location would be more of a "Green-Grocer" or fresh market where all the meat would be cut on site and you could pick it out like an old style butcher shop. Likewise fresh produce with a cashier that would actually greet you and not talk/text when waiting on customers.If anyone has ever been to Florida or Georgia and shopped at Publix this would be the role model.
drownin in footware

Grayson, KY

#15 Apr 20, 2012
Yea I remember when it was IGA then Big Value and when Fam Dol was Big Value as well...
Morehead Dude

Morehead, KY

#16 Apr 22, 2012
drownin in footware wrote:
If people wouldn't have robbed it so many times maybe it would still be there..
The financial problems with Sloans was "Bob Sloan" the owner. At one time he had 16 grocery stores from Lexington to Hazard. He spent money for himself instead of paying the vendors for supplies.
The Morehead Store was the last one to close. Then Bob Sloan filed for bankruptcy. IT WAS NOT EMPLOYEES OR OTHERS ROBBING THE STORE - IT WAS BOB SLOAN HIMSELF THAT CAUSED THE STORE TO CLOSE!!!!
drownin in footware

Morehead, KY

#17 Apr 23, 2012
Well I'm sure that it being robbed so many times didn't help anything...
uhh

Lexington, KY

#18 Apr 23, 2012
Jerry Springers wrote:
What??? YOu do knoe why slones went out!! Did u not read the news paper??? The main people scamed money from the morehead store , it had nothing to do with the public!!!!!!!!!!
word

Morehead, KY

#19 Apr 23, 2012
ya know we can blame wal-mart all we want but when I dont pay my electric bill my lights get shut off. just the same Slones didnt pay their bills so what else do you expect to happen?!
over-developed

Cleveland, GA

#20 May 4, 2012
notinthehead wrote:
<quoted text>
That store (what was Sloans) was orinilly built by Robert (Bobby) and Hubert (Hudie) Allen in the early 1960's. If you grew up in Morehead from the early 1960's through the mid 1980's you knew that store as Allen's IGA. You also listened to WMOR 1330AM and knew what time Paul Harvey and Tom Haggia came on. Allen's was locally owned and operated , with fair prices and good service. From what I have seen on my return trips to Morehead is most of the people go for "Bigger is Better. While it is true Walmart is cheaper on the high volume items, that is only while they have LOCAL competition. If the local shoppers would pay attention when the competition pulls out of a market , Walmart rises thier prices-many times to more than what the LOCAL bussiness's charged. I think the best plan for that location would be more of a "Green-Grocer" or fresh market where all the meat would be cut on site and you could pick it out like an old style butcher shop. Likewise fresh produce with a cashier that would actually greet you and not talk/text when waiting on customers.If anyone has ever been to Florida or Georgia and shopped at Publix this would be the role model.
I couldn't agree more with your concept and I don't care to pay a higher price, not only for the convenience of location but also for the idea that my money is staying right here in the community! I'd rather give the Allen brothers an extra 10-15 dollars a week or month than to spend the extra gas to go all the way out to wal-mart and back, which would probably equal the extra spent in groceries anyway, gas prices being what they are! It all boils down to how much we are willing to pay to uphold our principles and support the people we know and trust.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 28 min Get Real 169,910
News In Kentucky town, gay-marriage opponent Davis s... 55 min NotSoDivineMsM1 24
Tara reed perkins 1 hr Poppie 4
Jeff Dunaway 1 hr Riddler 2
Senator Al 3 hr Andy 7
The most useless President (Apr '17) 4 hr trump 900
drug dealers in morehead 5 hr Hunter 22

Morehead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morehead Mortgages