Willie Roberts & Shawn Stump "Stumpy"

Posted in the Morehead Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Fight 4 Rights VOTE

Morehead, KY

#1 Nov 27, 2009
Willie Roberts & Shawn Stump "Stumpy" are a good choice for a change. They have both been through the ringer. We need a change we need a facelift here in Rowan County. 30 some years without change?

You do the math. Any change at this point in time would be for a better. Clean house and The Community.

Willie has alot of experience and is a cool guy, he is friendly and smart.

Stumpy is willing to take a 70% Income and allow his 30% income to help Drug Rehab Folks that can't afford it with his 30%

The Mayor of New York works for 1 Dollar a year.

30% to help Drug Rehab places and Mothers that need Child Support.

These 2 guys knew each other in college and are friends. They can make a difference and if you vote for half the other folks you are just keeping everyone that is in office with the same administrations. No change if you do not add a new face. Time for a Change, I am sick of it.
A Change Needed

Morehead, KY

#2 Nov 27, 2009
Aren't they both Rupublicans? If so that would be nice. This country is to Liberal and as Dolly Parton said "Going to Hell in a Hand Basket"

Her Grandad a Pentecostal Preacher told her that and she wrote the song, Preacher Tom.

Dolly Parton Preacher tom Lyrics:
Preacher Tom, your friends are many
And your good deeds are a plenty
And I know that God is plenty proud of you
Cause you’ve directed your attention
Towards a bright and shining mansion
God promise to the ones that pay their dues
Chorus:
So preacher Tom, come on preach,
Let the one of which you speak have his way
[ Find more Lyrics on www.mp3lyrics.org/MkF ]
Let his precious will be done
Preacher Tom, come on
Teach of the one always in reach
Saying who so ever will let him come
Preach on preacher Tom, preach on
Your smile is like the sunshine
bringing warmth and joy to others
And love controls your understanding heart
And the message that you spread is just
like water to the thirsty
A beacon that keeps shining through the dark
Repeat Chorus Twice & Fade
Lyrics: Preacher tom, Dolly Parton [end]
Know them Both

Morehead, KY

#3 Nov 28, 2009
Keith for County Attorney
Willie for Judge
Stumpy for Sheriff
Carmen for the PVA
Jerry Flannery for our District Magistrate
4real

Cleveland, GA

#4 Nov 28, 2009
What the heck are you all talking about. I don't know this stumpy dude but I do know Willie. He is a drunk who uses a lot of drugs. Anyone who knows him knows that to be a fact. He is nice though. This stumpy fellow wants to take 30% of his pay and give to rehab? Sounds like he just wants a job to me. Does he even have any type of policing skills? What does he do? How many people has he promised a job to? I agree, there does need to be a change. However, if you don't have any type of police experience, I will never vote for you.
Hello

Morehead, KY

#5 Nov 28, 2009
Sheriff Carter never had any Police skills until he was elected. Here is s copy and paste of his training in the past and on the Rowan CO Sheriffs website.

Below are the Requirements of Sheriff:
At the time of election, must be at least 24 years of age, a citizen of Kentucky, has resided in the State 2 years, and one year next preceding his election in the county and district in which he is a candidate.

Here is Sheriff Carters first election. "Quoted" from the website itself.

My name is Jack Carter, and I am the Sheriff of Rowan County. I was born and raised here, the son of Bill and Lydia Carter. My wife, Rebecca, and I married in 1961, and we are blessed with three grown children and six grandchildren. My wife and I attend the Elliottville Baptist Church.

I graduated from Breckinridge Training School in 1954, then attended Morehead State University, where I played baseball and basketball. After attending Morehead State, I served in the United States Marine Corps from 1956 to 1958. When my Marine Corps service was complete, I went to the National Lumber Inspection School in Memphis, Tennessee, then began working for Ray L. White and Sons as a lumber inspector.

I ran for, and won my first term as Sheriff in 1973. I left office in 1977, but ran again in 1981. I took office again in 1982, and have been your Sheriff since then --- a total of 31 years.
Give Stumpy a Chance

Morehead, KY

#6 Nov 28, 2009
4real wrote:
What the heck are you all talking about. I don't know this stumpy dude but I do know Willie. He is a drunk who uses a lot of drugs. Anyone who knows him knows that to be a fact. He is nice though. This stumpy fellow wants to take 30% of his pay and give to rehab? Sounds like he just wants a job to me. Does he even have any type of policing skills? What does he do? How many people has he promised a job to? I agree, there does need to be a change. However, if you don't have any type of police experience, I will never vote for you.
Here is what the State expects out of the Sheriffs Dept.

The sheriff’s duties fall into four categories: tax collection, election duties, services to court, and law enforcement. The majority of the sheriff’s time is spent on civil duties as opposed to the criminal or law enforcement.

The purpose of the Kentucky Sheriff's Association shall be to encourage social, charitable, and educational activities among the Sheriffs; to continue the education of the various Sheriffs and their Deputies within the Commonwealth of Kentucky in all phases of law enforcement practice, procedure and technique; to resist the constant efforts to curtail the efforts of law enforcement officers to preserve law and order within the Commonwealth of Kentucky; to educate the public in the observance of law and order; and, to do any and all things to promote the enforcement of law and order and the suppression of crime. The Kentucky Sheriff's Association will support the youth in the Commonwealth of Kentucky by Sponsoring the Kentucky Sheriffs' Boys and Girls Ranch for less fortunate children.
4real

Cleveland, GA

#7 Nov 28, 2009
I know what the expectations and requirements for the sheriff are. Jack Carter does not have any police experience and has faild to provide any type of policing in the county because of this. That's why our KSP post has such a big turn over with troopers. They are overworked because the Sheriff does nothing. Hence, everyone wants a change and I agree. What's the change between Jack and this stumpy guy? Neither have police experience. So, what are the different things that he can bring to the table? Promises? Everyone makes promises when they want something.
The Sheriff is the highest ranking police official in the county except when there is a death investigation and then it's the coroner. The Sheriff's department is not like running a business. Peoples lives are affected by the actions or lack of actions by the sheriff. I just don't see how anyone can vote for someone who has no idea or experience in police work. I'm not trying to put down this stumpy guy because I don't know him. He may be a great guy. But from what I'm seeing here, he's not qualified enough in my book. Neither is Jack.
STUMPED

Owingsville, KY

#8 Nov 28, 2009
Is Willie going to the stumpy paid drug rehab before or after he may get office??????

Amber Kay

Morehead, KY

#9 Nov 28, 2009
Stumpy is willing to take any required courses which are not required. And pay for them out of his own pocket so that he will obtain knowledge.

What he would bring to the table is s change I see no one else that is willing to do that nor do I see anyone in the administration if running for Sheriff but to follow in the same old Administration.

Stumpy is Weapon Qualified U.S.Army has dealth with Urban Combat training, Small Weapons and Large Weapons. He also had to retain many POW's in the war. He has been in situations where he had to use force and leadership. He has also been in situations where he did not have to use force. That is the Trained Chaplain Person that he is. He is also an Ordained Minister and is a People Person. He knows many of the State Troopers and no that does not qualify him.

I just dont see anyone else worth voting for and until then this stumpy guy is who I am supporting. Maybe you should run and maybe I would support you.

Stumpy made promises while in Morehead, Reffereing, Umpiring, Risk Manager of the Fraternity, Head Life Guard Training and Response, He use to have an EMT certification guess he let the run out. I do know he has a CCDW and has taken the class for a deadly weapon.

He has a Bachelors degree in Criminology I dont see anyone else with that degree running for Sheriff. If his degree is bogus looking then he is a Graduate of MSU which if you say is bad you throw off on this entire community.

Have any idea's about this suit case college?
I think he might be smart enough to take any classes that which are not needed and I think he would pass. He has had Hand to Hand Combat training as well. He has taken Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, and Shotokon for self defense.

The reason I know so much about him is because my husband and he are good friends. He is a person in the community that is known.

Lets put it this way. If it come down to Money Stumpy will not win. There are more Poor people here than rich people. Now if the Money issue is the winner chalk him down for a loss.

But if all the regular people come out and vote like him "Your Above but Average Joe so to Speak" then he may have a chance.

IMO, Money talks and the good person walks. And that will be what happens again and again.

Since: Sep 09

Morehead, KY

#10 Nov 28, 2009
4real wrote:
I know what the expectations and requirements for the sheriff are. Jack Carter does not have any police experience and has faild to provide any type of policing in the county because of this. That's why our KSP post has such a big turn over with troopers. They are overworked because the Sheriff does nothing. Hence, everyone wants a change and I agree. What's the change between Jack and this stumpy guy? Neither have police experience. So, what are the different things that he can bring to the table? Promises? Everyone makes promises when they want something.
The Sheriff is the highest ranking police official in the county except when there is a death investigation and then it's the coroner. The Sheriff's department is not like running a business. Peoples lives are affected by the actions or lack of actions by the sheriff. I just don't see how anyone can vote for someone who has no idea or experience in police work. I'm not trying to put down this stumpy guy because I don't know him. He may be a great guy. But from what I'm seeing here, he's not qualified enough in my book. Neither is Jack.
Is it not the Sheriff who is suppose to help the KSP? Since they have the Highest Trainging of the State!

If they are over worked We need more funds to hire more and I agree with you on that.. At least if Stumpy were Sheriff he could conceal an area for investigation and not allow anyone beyond the point so that you all can do your Jobs better. I think he would respond personally to many of the call in case he were needed or could be a servant.

If that is what you want with a Sheriff He will do the JOB. He would make sure that no interferes with your Investigation and keep site seers out of the way like they should be! Not all every tom, dick and harry, not allow every lucy, joyce or anyone cross the lines. After all would that not be interfeering with an investigation and also possible tampering if someone were allowed to be where you all are?

I dont think he would allow that and I think he would stay away also unless instructed to help. After all would that not be his JOB?
4real

Cleveland, GA

#11 Nov 28, 2009
Speaker of The House wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it not the Sheriff who is suppose to help the KSP? Since they have the Highest Trainging of the State!
If they are over worked We need more funds to hire more and I agree with you on that.. At least if Stumpy were Sheriff he could conceal an area for investigation and not allow anyone beyond the point so that you all can do your Jobs better. I think he would respond personally to many of the call in case he were needed or could be a servant.
If that is what you want with a Sheriff He will do the JOB. He
would make sure that no interferes with your Investigation and keep site seers out of the way like they should be! Not all every tom, dick and harry, not allow every lucy, joyce or anyone cross the lines. After all would that not be interfeering with an investigation and also possible tampering if someone were allowed to be where you all are?
I dont think he would allow that and I think he would stay away also unless instructed to help. After all would that not be his JOB?
What? Why are you talking about preserving a crime scene? First of all, KSP is not the primary law enforcement agency in any county. It's the Sheriff. KSP is supposed to investigate the more high profile crimes. They are not supposed to be the primary investigator on a simple car accident, thefts or even domestics. I've worked other counties and KSP was not to be called unless the county was 3 calls backed up. That's because they had a working Sheriff's Department not like Rowan County. As far as training goes, local officers and even deputys go through the same type of training. The only difference is KSP use their skills more often. Do you think there is a difference in a Post Commander or even a Chief of Police and the Sheriff? They all have the same job to do. If you or stumpy don't believe that then you all really need to reconsider not running for Sheriff. If preserving a crime scene is an example of what to expect from the new Sheriff's Department then there is NO CHANGE. They already don't do anything. If you want to change the Sheriff's Department, then make them WORK. There is no doubt that Rowan County needs to change. Who ever gets Sheriff needs to make his deputys work and not worry about politics. There are ways to do your job and preserve votes at the same time.
Just a Thought

Morehead, KY

#12 Nov 28, 2009
Why not have a public debate among the candidates, Town Hall style.

We ask the questions and see what happens?
4real2

Morehead, KY

#13 Nov 28, 2009
If he gets the position they will work, They are all leaders and yes I know for a fact that the Sheriff's Dept handles the low profile situations.

Stumpy won't allow them sitting around they will be on the beat or out the door IMO.

You wont see them politicing at the pawn shops unless an investigation is in progress and showing off their pistols with 80 rounds for a glock with 12 bannana clips in the front seat. It will not be the same, It will change. If you can't vote for the change then vote for JACK and keep it the way you may be happy with. Obviously if you want a change and do not like what is going on then you must vote for the change. Actually what could it hurt if you say they do nothing anyways?
4real

Cleveland, GA

#14 Nov 28, 2009
Do you think it is going to be between just the two? If it is then I may just vote for stumpy. I don't know. I will need to know more about him. I already know about Jack (not impressed). All I'm saying is I put more stock in someone with experience. If anyone runs that has police experience, they will have my vote over someone who does not. I don't consider Jack as having police experience, golf course management maybe. I'm glad to see that more people want a change. We just need to make sure it's the right change.
4real2

Morehead, KY

#15 Nov 28, 2009
Give him a try and let him learn as to what the Community needs and does not need. In the future he will learn the ropes he has to get a foot in the door first to able to make a difference. Procedures are easy to learn but sacrifice take heart.

Are you willing to take a chance on a Man that is willing to put his heart into it? A War Veteran? A Non-Drug/ Alcohol drinking man? Well if you are he is your guy.

If it comes down to the all mighty dollar he of course will not win. He will not stand a chance and you will get what you have had for 32 years.
Fire Man Dude

Germany

#16 Nov 28, 2009
I know Stump and if he says he will do something he will do it or break his neck trying.
camper

Versailles, KY

#17 Nov 28, 2009
i'd vote for him cause the name is catchy, but i am an illegal alien from pluto.
4real2

Morehead, KY

#18 Nov 28, 2009
4real wrote:
Do you think it is going to be between just the two? If it is then I may just vote for stumpy. I don't know. I will need to know more about him. I already know about Jack (not impressed). All I'm saying is I put more stock in someone with experience. If anyone runs that has police experience, they will have my vote over someone who does not. I don't consider Jack as having police experience, golf course management maybe. I'm glad to see that more people want a change. We just need to make sure it's the right change.
Ok name the Democratic Ticket and the Republican Ticket and whom is running for each party. Like I said Stumpy had not got a chance.
He is a Republican and does not have enough Money or Influence with the well to do. He will get the Working Mans Vote but I don't know if that will be enough, which is sad.
goodguy

Louisville, KY

#19 Nov 30, 2009
I know Stumpy well and he'll shoot himself in the leg to turn this county around. He's a man of his word.
J11_Call104

Morehead, KY

#20 Nov 30, 2009
4real wrote:
How does a child learn to walk? First it must Crawl then on to running. You got to get your feet wet and learn the ropes, Stumpy is not dumb he has a Degree in Criminology he has been to War. He is honorable. Would you like to train someone up to learn the real ropes or have someone that is already tainted that knows the system. Let someone that has not been rubbing elbows with everyone else for decades and lets see what happens.

By the way I am Justin and I am voting for Him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Message to Roy Moore supporters 40 min Wisdom 26
Religion Is dead 4 hr Wisdom 22
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 hr just an observer 170,597
Is "Wisdom" a Christian who was saved and is a... 6 hr Wisdom 20
Wisdom only adheres to its cult ! 6 hr Wisdom 2
Xmas money 6 hr wow 2
Thank you President Obama (Sep '12) 20 hr Wisdom 606

Morehead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morehead Mortgages