Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 142409 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#108130 Jul 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you do know such a thing,whether you post it under Spectacles or Chromiuman.
I do not need to call you a liar.
The lies you post,under either of the monokers you use,speak for themselves.
Anyhow,since you and I know that you are lying,it makes little difference.
BTW,there are some good things happening in the atheist Community.
25% of atheist families attend religious services every week.
70% OF THOSE REARED as Atheists become believers once they reach adulthood.
You should do something constructive and encourage those who are trying to brake the shackles imposed upon them by foolish nonbelievers.
Learn from the mistakes committed by Madalyn Murray O'hair.
Your lies and misinterpretations of what I have stated have no effect on me.....
On the lighter side,to show that I harbor no hard feelings,let me extend this invitation,,
My name is Cliff,,,,Drop over sometime...
ON A SERIOUS NOTE, I would suggest that you and your family attend religious services....
God desires that all be saved.....Who knows what the results might be if you gave him the opportunity to reveal himself....
What reason would an atheist become God fearing? Some of the God fearing christians have converted to Islam and Judaism. Some of the God fearing Christians have abandoned the belief in God and become Atheist. So I don't think you have made a good point for a belief in a God.

Most christians believe that Armageddon will happen between now and 2018. If it does not within next ten years will you still believe in God?
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108132 Jul 6, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
*sigh*

Algebra was invented by Muslims. Is algebra based on "Islamic principles"?
MORE stolen from the Indians!

Torture invoking for shame on them!

http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/HistT...
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108133 Jul 6, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not. No one is gagging Xians. Religion just can't be part of a public school function including speeches given at school assemblies.
<quoted text>
Really? What makes you so sure of that? Show me an example of someone praising another god in an approved public school speech. As a side note, I don't know what "ahla" or "budah" is (I guess you meant "Allah" and "Buddha" but haven't figured out how to really use the internet yet).
As another side note, Buddha (if that's who you meant) isn't a god.
<quoted text>
What science? I'll play this game with you. Give me your evidence.
"In the beginning there was light....."

PHYSICS.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#108134 Jul 6, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not. No one is gagging Xians. Religion just can't be part of a public school function including speeches given at school assemblies.
<quoted text>
Really? What makes you so sure of that? Show me an example of someone praising another god in an approved public school speech. As a side note, I don't know what "ahla" or "budah" is (I guess you meant "Allah" and "Buddha" but haven't figured out how to really use the internet yet).
As another side note, Buddha (if that's who you meant) isn't a god.
<quoted text>
What science? I'll play this game with you. Give me your evidence.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/15/colorado...

Was that islamic song not going to be preformed in front of many people. Of course, it is a choice not to attend the concert, but what parent is going to refuse when their child is singing up on stage? It is also a choice not to attend a graduation ceramony. If the people didn't like what they heard, they could have got up and left. No one made a commotion about alah being mentioned in the choir song, so why did they about God being mentioned in a graduation speech?

Btw, I meant to spell alah and budahs names wrong, and I meant not to capatalize them as well, as I have no respect or reverence for these false gods.

You may think you're playing a game, but I know better. The salvation of a soul is not a game and no laughing matter. I will not prove science to you. God gave you two eyes and ten fingers, which you should thank Him for. Look it up your self. Unless YOU haven't figured out how to really use the internet yet...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#108135 Jul 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Those guys you speak of are just less competition for me. But I do get agitated when I am shot down by a girl just because she does not like men. But then I realize I get shot down for all sorts of reasons, so I should not dwell on this reason.
That's right.

The reason you SHOULD dwell on is when you are shot down for walking around with your thumb stuck up your ass.
beardie

Elizabethtown, KY

#108136 Jul 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what was asked;
How could nature evolve a female member of a species that produces eggs and is internally equipped to nourish a growing embryo, while at the same time evolving a male member that produces motile sperm cells? And, further, how is it that these gametes (eggs and sperm) conveniently “evolved” so that they each contain half the normal chromosome number of somatic (body) cells?[Somatic cells reproduce via the process of mitosis, which maintains the species’ standard chromosome number; gametes are produced via the process of meiosis, which halves that number
Let me simplify it
How did the male species know to evolve itself precisely in the manner needed in order to provide the continuation of the species based on how the female species evolved.
One did not know how the other was evolving. There was no communication between them.
How and who designed the system to make this work?
You start throwing in Ape penises and vaginas which in no way explain the process as to how this may have occurred.
Here is an opportunity for your Science Fiction mentality to present us with an absurd and unrealistic answer to a complex question.
Please,do not provide me with an answer from Yahoo. That is where High School dropouts go to enhance their education and apply for their GED"S.
Then again,maybe you can not help yourself
How does nature do it? Through evolution. Two genders only evolve respective of one another, because they are AROUND each other. Reproduction (not to be confused with sexual intercourse) is the survival of the species, and that is it. If you have trouble understanding this, then perhaps you should spend more time gardening. Life will do its damnest (sp?) to reproduce and survive. Example: If you have a greenhouse full of one gender of the same plant (let's say female), some of those plants will actually start growing male parts in order to reproduce. It doesn't grow a new male plant, it equips ONE plant with the essential parts, as its only concern is producing more plants, regardless of gender. Outside interference can do nothing to stop it, it happens on its own. The human species would be capable of the same thing, as witnessed in the depleting male sex gene.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#108137 Jul 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>

The concept is considered a fact because all evidence found relating to the hypnosis confirms it as true.

What does evolution have to do with "hypnosis"?

You claim evolution is a "fact". But you do not even know what "fact" it is.

State the "fact" of evolution, Moron. You cannot state the theory of evolution without looking it up, and after you look it up, your copy of it will likely be wrong.

I have never met anyone who could accurately state what the theory of evolution is. This is after decades of assholes like you telling us it is "fact".

That is a great advantage, as when there is no coherent theory, it cannot be disproven.

Yeah, that's a fact.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108138 Jul 6, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>God does not lie?

1 Kings 22:23
Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee.

2 Chronicles 18:22
Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets.

Jeremiah 4:10
Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people.

Jeremiah 20:7
O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived.

Ezekiel 14:9
And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet.

2 Thessalonians 2:11
For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/god_...
We believe these to be translation errors in most of these cases.

“I was born a poor, black child”

Since: Jan 07

that weren't no easy thing

#108139 Jul 6, 2013
beardie wrote:
<quoted text>
Outside interference can do nothing to stop it, it happens on its own.
And THAT is my proof that no preconceived design exists. Evolution doesn't operate on the past, it reaches into the future. We are guided by our own species, whether or not we have some sort of collective conscience as we go about it is another debate.

@curious
How Can This BE True

Fresno, CA

#108141 Jul 6, 2013
How can this be?

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#108142 Jul 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The child molesters are judged by society. They are punished by society. Not some meniscus thrashing god. Wow, what a stretch to think your injury was gods work due to how crappy you treat your parents. If god was really the judge who enacted punishment on earth, he is a pretty poor parent, as any parent should know, swift punishment ensures the offender will know just what he did wrong, instead of guessing it was some distant crime like the one you speak of.
If god really was the judge, jury and executioner, no child molesters would live long enough to stand trial or repeat the crime multiple times.
If god really was the judge, we would need no prisons, we would need no police.
Your meniscus tore because our bodies are not built perfectly. You probably did not warm up well and exerted yourself to hard.
But I guess for someone who does not understand his conscience, keep on believing it was due to your poor treatment of others. Some might call that a conscience that is a bit confused.
Note that the above poster completly disregarded the 1st & 2nd half of my post he comented on. That is because he knows it to be truth.

Child molesters and other criminals are, for the most part, NOT judged by society, when you look at the whole of society as the world.

Who can tell the mind of God? No one. Not even His Only Son, Jesus Christ. I am truly sorry if something in your life has made you think God does not punish the wicked in His own time, or that He has left you alone to deal. I do not have a good post about this, and I do not know what to say except that everything happens for a reason. If you are full of sorrow, if you are angry at God for the evil on this earth being able to rule, and not being swiftly handled, there is two books you should read. The first one is the Bible. It is very comforting. The second, The Shack, by William p. Young. I don't know if this one will help you. Your greif might be far worse. You may be blessed enough not to have experianced the greif that happened to the man in this book. I don't know your life, what is behind or what lies ahead. Every life has good and bad in it. The past is not to be forgotten; we are to learn from it. The future, however, should not be stained by the past. As for the present, make the most of it with the ones you love; and come to terms, in your own time, with God. His embrace will be there for you, when you are ready...
un huh

Elizabethtown, KY

#108143 Jul 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
sure you do!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#108144 Jul 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminds me of a saying my grandmother had....

"A poor excuse is better than none."

~~~~~~~~Denial is not just a river in Egypt.~~~~~~~
GWB

Roseville, CA

#108146 Jul 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that all bible translations that contain these supposed errors and that the translators of these errant bibles may have sinned against the Holy Spirit? What do you believe is a sin against the Holy Spirit?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108147 Jul 6, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> and thanks for your comment on my pantheism thread. I replied to you. I trust you get the point I am making - that I encourage any attempt to promote a better notion of God (pantheism, which does not imply a good or bad god, since it is everything) and better notions of what a religion should be about (promoting ethical behavior, mostly kindness in all its forms, based on intelligence and knowledge of situations - and especially including political, social, economic, economic matters).
I even am friendly toward non-right-wing Mormons, and toward the branch of the Joseph Smith religion that has evolved in the Midwest - Community of Christ Church - and its most progressive reformers, many of them my friends, in this town. But I am all the more hostile toward the Fundamentalist LDS (the statutory rape cult, allegedly) and even rightwing Mormons and self-satisfied semi-centrist ones (Romney types). Beck of course is one of the nutcase rightwingers, and has that in common with too many people in other denominations and other religions.
Oh, I have no beef with religious people in general. Hell, virtually everyone I talk to every day is a Christian. If I went around having a problem with them all the time I'd live a terrible life.

I only have a problem with the ideology and the politics that the culture of religion engenders. And I have a big f*cking problem when they lay claim to morality...as if you have to join a church to know how to be a decent person. It's absolutely the dumbest idea there is.

Location hidden

#108148 Jul 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's "we"?

And how convenient.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108151 Jul 7, 2013
care8741 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/15/colorado...
Was that islamic song not going to be preformed in front of many people. Of course, it is a choice not to attend the concert, but what parent is going to refuse when their child is singing up on stage?
Not just the concert, but performing in the choir itself. From the article you presented:
"Students are not required to participate, and receive no academic credit for doing so,"

and

"The teacher consulted with students and asked each of them to review an online performance of the selection with their parents before making the decision to perform the piece," Kirtland said, and members who object to the religious content of musical selections aren't required to sing them."
care8741 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is also a choice not to attend a graduation ceramony. If the people didn't like what they heard, they could have got up and left. No one made a commotion about alah being mentioned in the choir song, so why did they about God being mentioned in a graduation speech?
But, someone did "raise a commotion" didn't they? Otherwise we wouldn't be discussing this now...would we?

Another excerpt from the article:
"At an upcoming concert, the choir is scheduled to sing an Irish folk song and an Christian song titled "Prayer of the Children," in addition to the song by Rahman."

A Christian song? So much for your "they don't mind Allah, but they won't allow Jesus" BS.

That aside, here's where I see a difference. A graduation speech is intended to be delivered to all graduates and should represent not only the orator's personal message but also reflect the values of the school itself. By being delivered at the graduation ceremony it is (by extension) a product of the school. This is why the speech's content should be reviewed (and approved) and if a public school, the content needs to be non-religious. The choir? Not so much.

Many (and I mean many) public schools allow groups to have religious based activities on school grounds, as long as these activities don't interfere with school functions. Since the choir is completely voluntary and doesn't involve any type of academic credit, why is it different?
care8741 wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw, I meant to spell alah and budahs names wrong, and I meant not to capatalize them as well, as I have no respect or reverence for these false gods.[QUOTE]
It only serves to make you look stupid, but if you're comfortable looking like an idiot than by all means continue. I guess this means you hold "ceremonies" in disdain as well?

[QUOTE who="care8741"]<q uoted text>
You may think you're playing a game, but I know better. The salvation of a soul is not a game and no laughing matter. I will not prove science to you. God gave you two eyes and ten fingers, which you should thank Him for. Look it up your self. Unless YOU haven't figured out how to really use the internet yet...
In other words, you have no evidence to support your claim. As I suspected.

Location hidden

#108152 Jul 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What does evolution have to do with "hypnosis"?
You claim evolution is a "fact". But you do not even know what "fact" it is.
State the "fact" of evolution, Moron. You cannot state the theory of evolution without looking it up, and after you look it up, your copy of it will likely be wrong.
I have never met anyone who could accurately state what the theory of evolution is. This is after decades of assholes like you telling us it is "fact".
That is a great advantage, as when there is no coherent theory, it cannot be disproven.
Yeah, that's a fact.
A fact is something so obviously true it would be ridiculous to deny it.

The reason evolution is considered a fact by most thinking people is because the evidence is so overwhelming it would be silly to deny it.

We could quibble over definitions all day long but in the end that is the truth of it.

Now, as the actual *theory* that explains evolution we cannot call that a fact. That is why the term "scientific theory" is used.

When a ball is dropped it falls to the ground. That is a fact. The theories of Newton and Einstein explain the fact.

Location hidden

#108153 Jul 7, 2013
care8741 wrote:
<quoted text>
Note that the above poster completly disregarded the 1st & 2nd half of my post he comented on. That is because he knows it to be truth.
Child molesters and other criminals are, for the most part, NOT judged by society, when you look at the whole of society as the world.
Who can tell the mind of God? No one. Not even His Only Son, Jesus Christ. I am truly sorry if something in your life has made you think God does not punish the wicked in His own time, or that He has left you alone to deal. I do not have a good post about this, and I do not know what to say except that everything happens for a reason. If you are full of sorrow, if you are angry at God for the evil on this earth being able to rule, and not being swiftly handled, there is two books you should read. The first one is the Bible. It is very comforting. The second, The Shack, by William p. Young. I don't know if this one will help you. Your greif might be far worse. You may be blessed enough not to have experianced the greif that happened to the man in this book. I don't know your life, what is behind or what lies ahead. Every life has good and bad in it. The past is not to be forgotten; we are to learn from it. The future, however, should not be stained by the past. As for the present, make the most of it with the ones you love; and come to terms, in your own time, with God. His embrace will be there for you, when you are ready...
Whoah.

Geez, the problems with this. Where to begin?

First of all, how do you *know* anything at all about an all powerful being that does not show itself in any way other than giving you a warm and fuzzy feeling?

If you can't know the mind of god then you have a serious problem. You can't know that anything you believe is actually true. God has deceived people in the Bible. He has "hardened hearts" to make people change their minds. By that token you can't possibly know when he's telling the truth or lying.

If that's the case, you can't possibly know the path to salvation or even if salvation is a necessity at all.

Regarding suffering, this is the most powerful argument against the god of the Bible. Surely you are familiar with the classic Problem of Evil? If god is all powerful and suffering exists in the world then god wants people to suffer. By all possible human standards of morality that makes god either indifferent to suffering or outright evil.

I posted links a long while back to stories about kids being raped and killed. If even one child is raped and killed and god does not intervene what does that tell you about god?

And please don't hand me that "we can't know gods plans" bullsh*t. You know damn good and well that raping a kid is pretty much the definition of evil. If god doesn't stop it though he has the power to stop it then god is evil.
happy

Lexington, KY

#108154 Jul 7, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure you have proof.
Set down the bottle and back away...
U all are in serious denial. This post generating so many comments is what is amazing. Lol. GOD IS REAL. If He were not .. U would not b here..:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 25 min ELH 1,795
denim days figurines for sale (Oct '10) 57 min Dianne Beattie 64
Moore-Redwine-Ginter Politics in Schools Must Go 5 hr my opinion 12
Do not go to Morehead State University (May '10) 10 hr thankful 91
ISC Morehead Wood Products Whiskey Barrel Factory 19 hr John 7
does anyone know wat happened to michael heath ... (Dec '08) 20 hr wondering 7
Help the economy Fri Wisdom 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morehead Mortgages