New Pill Law In Florida

Posted in the Morehead Forum

Justin Case

United States

#1 Sep 28, 2010
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Thirty-two new Florida laws go into effect Friday, Oct. 1. They include statutes that will:
- Crack down on the sale of prescription painkillers to addicts and drug dealers by "pill mills" through provision that limit advertising, bar patients without insurance from getting more than a three-day supply and impose stiff penalties on doctors and clinics that violate prescribing rules.
- Allow the death penalty for the unlawful distribution of methadone that causes a user's death.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/28/1846603...
Also they are making a statewide database that will track prescriptions before the end of the year.
A prescription database had been scheduled to launch Dec. 1 that would have required pharmacists and dispensing doctors to report to the state all the controlled substances they dispense within 15 days ó though the nationwide standard for reporting is one week. The database, a tool already in place in 38 states, will allow doctors to see if a patient has seen other doctors for powerful painkillers and allow law enforcement quicker access to evidence of doctor-shopping or over-prescribing. This law may be in jeopardy but I hope I will be passed. Federal law says they have to report in 5 days so I hope they change that to. Maybe if a few more of these laws were passed country wide than some control would be gotten of the problem.
danville lady

Richmond, KY

#2 Sep 30, 2010
You are wrong my friend. The new law says that pain clinics cant hand out more than a 3 day amount but they have to go through a phramicsts to get their script filled.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#3 Sep 30, 2010
Justin Case wrote:
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Thirty-two new Florida laws go into effect Friday, Oct. 1. They include statutes that will:
- Crack down on the sale of prescription painkillers to addicts and drug dealers by "pill mills" through provision that limit advertising, bar patients without insurance from getting more than a three-day supply and impose stiff penalties on doctors and clinics that violate prescribing rules.
- Allow the death penalty for the unlawful distribution of methadone that causes a user's death.
Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/28/1846603...
Also they are making a statewide database that will track prescriptions before the end of the year.
A prescription database had been scheduled to launch Dec. 1 that would have required pharmacists and dispensing doctors to report to the state all the controlled substances they dispense within 15 days ó though the nationwide standard for reporting is one week. The database, a tool already in place in 38 states, will allow doctors to see if a patient has seen other doctors for powerful painkillers and allow law enforcement quicker access to evidence of doctor-shopping or over-prescribing. This law may be in jeopardy but I hope I will be passed. Federal law says they have to report in 5 days so I hope they change that to. Maybe if a few more of these laws were passed country wide than some control would be gotten of the problem.
Stop fu*k*ng and listen to me!!! You got it all wrong..the new Florida law states, "only one prescription per car load per day"
ha ha ha ahhhhhhhh haaaaaa
A Pain Patients Thoughts

Morehead, KY

#4 Sep 30, 2010
I applaud Florida for taking ANY action to slow down the tidal wave of pills being sold to many of our locals that cause so much pain and suffering and addiction when abused. But it seems Florida is not doing enough fast enough to change things on this end.
For example: Every-time Florida or the DEA has made changes in the laws in effort to stop or slow down the prescription narcotics flowing out of Florida, which is feeding the rest of the country, it seems things continue to escalate. A quick search on Google has already netted many loopholes in the new laws, and already people are planing on carrying on with their monthly trips to Florida and Kentucky with no fear. It's a positive thing for Florida to FINALLY get a drug monitoring data base fired up, like Kasper here in Kentucky which stands as a role model for all other states to copy, as Kentucky was first and proved it works. But if the past is any indicator I doubt Florida's data base works as well as Kasper does.
From all I just read online, much from Florida sources, it seems the pill mills already have many plans in place to get around the new laws. This is crazy, our politicians and the DEA need to come together to make and enforce laws that work and not just shoot for headlines as the pill business continues to grow.
The abuse is now a large international and somewhat segmented collection of crimes that continue to flood areas like east Kentucky with strong narcotics and these sugar-coated laws in Florida are too little too late. Anybody worried can find this information on Google NEWS. There is too much profit and too much revenue generated in the Florida tax base for them to seriously consider to get this crime wave under control.(imho)
Also, already it is becoming wide spread news that certain business people in Florida are advising patients to simply go to Georgia for prescription narcotics because Georgia can not agree on a Drug Monitoring system like Kasper yet, which would flag the most obvious large time doctor shoppers.
Can any law truly stop this epidemic? As of yet it seems to me no law has managed to put a dent into this underground market, it just results in more educated drug dealers using loopholes in new laws.(imho)
For information about Kentucky's Drug monitoring data base which many otehr states are trying to copy, here is the long link to the PDF file with more information:
http://www.google.com/url...
my opinion

Cleveland, TN

#5 Oct 1, 2010
Why can't they just do away with the narcotics? I say that because pills have got a hold of so many people in my family. Its sad and turns my stomach to think that people around me are going out and acting like they need the pills soooooo bad. I say stick their butts in rehab make it required that they have to go. I am so sick of not knowing if my home is going to broken into while I am away or if it is safe to let my child outside to play. Lets put an end to it!!!!!!!
wtf

Dahlonega, GA

#6 Oct 2, 2010
f**k all of ya'll. i love my pills. it's our problem not yours, if you don't like it, MOVE AWAY
good ole boy

Morehead, KY

#7 Oct 3, 2010
Pillheads are worse than crackheads these days.
Justin Case

United States

#8 Oct 3, 2010
danville lady wrote:
You are wrong my friend. The new law says that pain clinics cant hand out more than a 3 day amount but they have to go through a phramicsts to get their script filled.
The three day is only if you don't have insurance from what I have read. Anyway I put down what was in the Miami Herald in Florida. from the Associated Press. Regardless still sounds good to me, they are trying to get the mess under control.
Justin Case

United States

#9 Oct 3, 2010
A Pain Patients Thoughts wrote:
I agree with you on many points, but they have to start somewere even if it is late. They should be federal laws to deal with this problem because it is a national problem and a national database just like they have in access to in just about every police car these days. Here is some more info on the different states.

As of July 2010, 34 states have operational PDMPs that have the capacity to receive and distribute controlled substance prescription information to authorized users. States with operational programs include:
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
Seven states (Alaska, Florida, Kansas, New Jersey, Oregon, South Dakota and Wisconsin) and one U.S. territory (Guam) have enacted legislation to establish a PDMP, but are not fully operational.
Justin Case

United States

#10 Oct 3, 2010
my opinion wrote:
Why can't they just do away with the narcotics? I say that because pills have got a hold of so many people in my family. Its sad and turns my stomach to think that people around me are going out and acting like they need the pills soooooo bad. I say stick their butts in rehab make it required that they have to go. I am so sick of not knowing if my home is going to broken into while I am away or if it is safe to let my child outside to play. Lets put an end to it!!!!!!!
If you have had to watch a loved one die of cancer. As an example have cancer so bad even with the narcotics they would be screaming in pain for several hours every day then you would know there is a place for this type of medication. I do believe it should be used only for the terminally ill, because in the end narcotics will and do kill you.
As far as breaking into homes and that kind of thing, that's why I decided to carry a concealed weapon on me all the time. The world we live in is becoming more violent every day. People will break into your home just because they donít have jobs right now, they will mug you in the Wal-Mart parking lot just because you are female and look weak to them, like they did my wife. Pills are sometimes involved and make them usually more violent, more desperate.
Yes the little kids are the ones in the end that suffer because of this. Directly by not being able to be kids by going outside to play or by the bad example some adults give to them in being involved with drugs. Sometimes the abuse children go through because of adult drug addiction is awful. It is a sad world that we live in, truly sad.
Justin Case

United States

#11 Oct 3, 2010
wtf wrote:
f**k all of ya'll. i love my pills. it's our problem not yours, if you don't like it, MOVE AWAY
If you are for real, they need to run you out, out of state, out of country I donít care, but get yourself in rehab or just disappear. You may not know it yet, but if you are on narcotics itís going to kill you anyway. If you donít care about yourself I know it will not make a difference what I say. You donít love yourself you donít love anyone else and you donít care about anything but your next hit. I have heard it all from addicts in my own family so you can not fool me.
Why

Olive Hill, KY

#12 Oct 5, 2010
why did it take Florida so long to do something about this? I just cannot understand how laws regarding something like this can be so lax to start with
gipsy

Morehead, KY

#13 Oct 5, 2010
i heard they are just giving a 3 day supply. i also know that they are alot of addicts that want to clean there selves up but can't they don't have the money to go to a rehab they have kids or a job so they can't lay it out. i agree that the pills need to stop but i believe they should be something out there a rehab something that will help those who need and want help,. something that doesn't cost so much who can afford hundreds and even thousands of dollars right now.
jeff roberts

United States

#14 Apr 20, 2011
Im disabled I was hit by a truck and my leg was chopped in half with titanium rod in my leg severe back pain and I hate pills but oxy s take my pain away a good bit and I can function and move and im not depressed. Im 100 percent disabled and get sick when I go to the doc and c people all happy and getting up n down I say let all the idiots kill thems
Mad Mother

Morehead, KY

#15 Apr 20, 2011
This is so true if you have suffered with chronic pain the decission to make your self physically dependent on a medication that improves your well being is simple. But these people who have no pain, but the pain of addiction, should go with the thought of not liking to be addicted and do what it takes not to take anouther pain pill.We still make the decesion on who we are snd what we do.We can do all thing in CHRIST JESUS!
Justin Case wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have had to watch a loved one die of cancer. As an example have cancer so bad even with the narcotics they would be screaming in pain for several hours every day then you would know there is a place for this type of medication. I do believe it should be used only for the terminally ill, because in the end narcotics will and do kill you.
As far as breaking into homes and that kind of thing, that's why I decided to carry a concealed weapon on me all the time. The world we live in is becoming more violent every day. People will break into your home just because they donít have jobs right now, they will mug you in the Wal-Mart parking lot just because you are female and look weak to them, like they did my wife. Pills are sometimes involved and make them usually more violent, more desperate.
Yes the little kids are the ones in the end that suffer because of this. Directly by not being able to be kids by going outside to play or by the bad example some adults give to them in being involved with drugs. Sometimes the abuse children go through because of adult drug addiction is awful. It is a sad world that we live in, truly sad.
LA in Florida

Orange City, FL

#16 May 1, 2014
For someone like myself who conditions that are only controlled by oxycontin and Percocet I have been taken them as prescribed for over 5 years. I have Lupus plus numerous calcium deposits that can't be removed because they get infected with surgery. Hips, legs arms ears back they are like spike everywhere these allow me to move do daily everything I need to run a home and take care of family. I native to CA, they don't regulate and yet less issues. Drug dealers will find a way to produce sell and distribute. In Redondo CA back in the 70's we had the most majaunia than any other state ton's of it. Until I saw the move where these two unknown guys in the Beach area are were shipping that in by truck loads and they were Organized crime related stayed in business for 20 years! I didn't smoke it stuff was nasty feeling did like it, coffee much better. Same with Florida it seems the tougher you make the laws the harder these guys are going to bring it. Then folks like me can't even get my prescription filled because the limit every pharmacy per month and won't tell you when they will have yet they is more on the streets? So I have my husband drive to different CVS trying to fill mine for my elements, if sick you screwed drug dealer you have got it made Florida hopefully when my husband contracts ends we are out of here.
Justin Case wrote:
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Thirty-two new Florida laws go into effect Friday, Oct. 1. They include statutes that will:
- Crack down on the sale of prescription painkillers to addicts and drug dealers by "pill mills" through provision that limit advertising, bar patients without insurance from getting more than a three-day supply and impose stiff penalties on doctors and clinics that violate prescribing rules.
- Allow the death penalty for the unlawful distribution of methadone that causes a user's death.
Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/28/1846603...
Also they are making a statewide database that will track prescriptions before the end of the year.
A prescription database had been scheduled to launch Dec. 1 that would have required pharmacists and dispensing doctors to report to the state all the controlled substances they dispense within 15 days ó though the nationwide standard for reporting is one week. The database, a tool already in place in 38 states, will allow doctors to see if a patient has seen other doctors for powerful painkillers and allow law enforcement quicker access to evidence of doctor-shopping or over-prescribing. This law may be in jeopardy but I hope I will be passed. Federal law says they have to report in 5 days so I hope they change that to. Maybe if a few more of these laws were passed country wide than some control would be gotten of the problem.
smokey

Inez, KY

#17 May 1, 2014
I bet the cartels and street gangs will be really happy...now that people will replace the pills with heroine like they did here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Connie Easterling (Dec '13) 5 min card shark 15
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr spaceship 131,867
Jared Mynhier and Frances Richmond 6 hr jarrod mynhier 5
Please Help 7 hr Touro 3
how do you get someone to quit showing their bu... (Jul '09) 10 hr the verticle smile 34
cps and their complete idiocracy 11 hr taxman 7
Janie Wright 11 hr The Nation 1
Morehead Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Morehead People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Morehead News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Morehead

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:57 am PST

Bleacher Report10:57AM
After 13 Games on the Bench, Browns Need to Show Patience with Johnny Manziel
ESPN11:08 AM
Cowboys remain hopeful as Murray practices
NBC Sports12:40 PM
George Iloka: We can't do what we did last week and apply it to Peyton Manning
NBC Sports 1:09 PM
A.J. Green out sick on Thursday
NBC Sports 3:13 PM
Colts hope to avoid distractions of Dallas stadium - NBC Sports