Tripplett Clean up
Morehead Resident

Hillsboro, KY

#1 May 25, 2012
What's going on with the creek clean up? Is our Mayor or City council doing anything to get the creeks cleaned up?
Drove through west Morehead, there are a lot of families that are taking care of their homes, but a lot are not. When the creeks flood, doesn't all the filth from the yards end up in the creeks? Isn't there an ordiance for filth in yards? If the city would keep up the ordiances, the creeks would not be filled with filth.
West End

Grayson, KY

#2 May 26, 2012
City Council ain't gonna do one thing to clean up the community for the long time residents. We ain't part of the college and we ain't got a lot of money. So they are hoping we all sell out. I just got one thing to say, I ain't going no where, I bought this place and my family are long time residents of Rowan County. It is a shame. Maybe a new council will get something done, as long as they ain't part of the college.
In the know

Morehead, KY

#3 May 29, 2012
Morehead isn't going to do anything about the creek unless the Morehead News does another multi-article story like they did last summer. Noel Hunter - I believe that's here name - is the best reporter they have had. She got things done. Morehead gets paid thousands of dollars each year to clean up Triplett Creek and the squander the money. Basically its going in someone's pockets. They do NOT care about the residents - especially those on the west end of Morehead. They utlimately had a plan to demolish houses that were flooded in the "buyout" but that basically was a raw deal for the home owners. Some made out like bandits while others didn't. The flooding is going to continue and get worse each time. The old railroad track bridge that runs across Triplett Creek is damned up again so the people who live in the area behind Save-A-Lot and the store itself are potential in danger of being flooded again. I'm not sure why Morehead has turned its back on this - when they could easily be sued over the lack of doing the job they are paid to do. A class action lawsuit should be filed against the city - I bet that would light a fire under their butts and get something done. The residents are fed up with worrying everytime a heavy prolonged rain comes. Once the creek is backed up it just creates a pool and backs up the rest of the creek causing flooding all the way back up to Christy Creek. They need to tear down that damned railroad bridge - clean the creek out - and keep it clean. However they would rather spend money on buildings people in Morehead don't really need and stupid stuff like the over-populated police force.(Morehead has too many cops and yet the crime rate is still high wtf is up with that?) Basically if you want something done you're going to have to do it yourself. Contact officials. If they don't do anything go to the person above them in the political ladder. Someone will listen eventually and try contacting lawyers to see what your options are. It couldn't hurt. If you are going to do this make sure you do your research before contacting these people so you have facts to back up what you're saying. Possibly contact the Morehead News and let them know about the creek being damned up again and the trash in it. This has been a problem for Morehead for too long and it's time something was done (other than talking) about it.
greg

Morehead, KY

#4 May 29, 2012
What about the other county creeks. They are more people who floods other than just tripplet. wuy are these people so special.You never here about any other creeks.Alot of poeple flood. Bath county floodes today.
dorkycomicguy606

Morehead, KY

#5 May 29, 2012
greg wrote:
What about the other county creeks. They are more people who floods other than just tripplet. wuy are these people so special.You never here about any other creeks.Alot of poeple flood. Bath county floodes today.
Um if you want to - start a thread about those creeks? No one said these people are special just that they are tired of flooding when it can be controlled and the city is getting paid to clean it up and are not doing it. If you can read you would have noticed that part of this thread. If the county is getting paid to clean the creeks and are not doing it then they are at fault too. Something needs to be done about it regardless. BTW this is the Morehead topix forum - so it makes sense that these people would address their concerns here - maybe you can take your concerns to the other cities topix forums instead of trying to sound like a smart ass in this one.
Morehead Resident

Nicholasville, KY

#6 Jun 10, 2012
Getting paid who is getting the money.IF this is true the families in west Morehead has got so coming to them.I would go see a lawyer.
Morehead Resident

Nicholasville, KY

#7 Jun 10, 2012
Would it be public record if the city was supposed to spend money toward creek maintenence? And shouldn't city taxes go toward these costs?
dorkycomicguy606

Morehead, KY

#8 Jun 10, 2012
It is on public records. Noel Hunter of the Morehead News did a three article story about this last summer. It got them motivated to clean the creek out in the spot behind Save-A-Lot (which is damned up again). The city is paid by the goverment and Core of Engineers to clean the creek up and have been being paid since the '70s. They have cleaned the creek once since then. So you tell me where that money is going. It does sound like the residents of west Morehead should have a class action lawsuit against the city for their homes being flooded this last time in 2010 and for any future floods. It just takes someone calling and asking questions - for a lawyer I mean. I would also call out of the city of Morehead for the lawyer because the lawyers in the area are probably as corrupt as the Morehead city officials.
ummm

Morehead, KY

#9 Jun 10, 2012
dorkycomicguy606 wrote:
<quoted text>
Um if you want to - start a thread about those creeks? No one said these people are special just that they are tired of flooding when it can be controlled and the city is getting paid to clean it up and are not doing it. If you can read you would have noticed that part of this thread. If the county is getting paid to clean the creeks and are not doing it then they are at fault too. Something needs to be done about it regardless. BTW this is the Morehead topix forum - so it makes sense that these people would address their concerns here - maybe you can take your concerns to the other cities topix forums instead of trying to sound like a smart ass in this one.
I dont think he was being a smart ass. I think what he was meaning is they are alot of people who flood alot more than what morehead does. I my self live besde a creek that floods around 3 to 4 times a year. Has got into homes and destroyes thinks in the spring and summer alot. We have never seen noone come to help us ever!! Morehead or city noone comes and askes do u need anything. do you need rescued. Ibeleive he is meaning the creek problem is just not at morehead it is all of rowan county and other countys to. Yes the county is soppose to clean out around bridges and things to keep it clean. It also is the land owners responsible to keep his property line incluing the creek clean. Premit needed to remove rock, but you can do it!!!
dorkycomicguy606

Morehead, KY

#10 Jun 10, 2012
I think I have to repeat myself... Take your concerns to whatever city/town you live in and thier Topix forum. This is MOREHEAD'S Topix forum. So yeah I do believe dude was being a smartass. I know it floods in other places. I also know FEMA and the Red Cross help those people. Especially those without insurance. Which is sad for the people with flood insurance - what's the point of paying it if FEMA and the Red Cross are just going to pay for your repairs anyway? Also - I said this already too - Morehead City is paid by the government and Core of Engineers each year a lump sum to clean the creeks out in MOREHEAD. Do they do that? F*ck no. My point is - my concern - for the residents of this area that are at risk from being flooded. Most of it is Morehead City's fault also for building land up around the creek for businesses creating a bowl for the water overflow to go into - which is full of residential areas. Also the fact that they have land for sale in the flood plains directly on the creek for residential properties. How is that even possible? They are/were tearing down houses that flooded in 2010 that are close to the creek but they can build a residential building/house on the creek? Someone is out to make money and they do not care if people's houses get flooded. This is a serious issue for this city. If you want to voice your concerns for your city or even the county do so on their forums. If they do not have forums - take it to the officials - they're probably getting paid to clean the creeks also. My inent however is to inform people from MOREHEAD about the problem and the corruption of local governemnt and their money squandering. BTW you really can't type/spell/write can you? I suggest taking a class before going to your officials so you don't sound like an inbred hillbilly. As for Morehead people - contact lawyers and the Morehad News and address your concerns. We know from the previous town meetings that the city's concerns lay elsewhere and the Mayor and the city council only took this seriously when the paper was doing research on their getting paid to clean the creeks and not doing so. Basically they were trying to cover their asses - what are they doing with the money now? Whose pocket is going into? These are things that definately need to be addressed.
Morehead Resident

Grayson, KY

#11 Jun 14, 2012
City of Morehead is all up the college ass.The college is up city's ass.Both are making money off the flooding.Dumb hillbilly some will say,this hillbilly votes.
Concerned

Morehead, KY

#12 Jun 25, 2012
Don't know if what I have been told is true, the trussle is suppose to be part of the trail. They are getting grant money for that, so the trussle they want to stay because they think it will eventually make them money. Whoever owns the trussle, Morehead or a private owner is setting back and threating peoples lives and homes when it floods.
Our taxes raised, when they lost the tax revenue for schools off the flooded homes that were tore down. Our school taxes went up on our homes to give Marvin Moore his big raise.
Our city councli, have you seen them, they have all put on about 30 pounds. They are more concerned about what restaurant to eat at.
Don't let FEMA at your door, they will screw you. Morehead is wanting to take more homes from the West End residents. Don't matter if you have a $60,000 dollar home or a $250,000 home, you are seen as equal, the city council doesn't like anyone from West Morehead.
Another Citizen

Morehead, KY

#13 Jun 25, 2012
The trussle is owned by a person not the city and according to the city he refuses to move it or let it be torn down.(Personally I think that the people who are flooded by this or the city for having to clean it up - should charge him for repairs and clean up.) As for Morehead losing money on the houses they tore down - that's utter crap because I know for a fact they made 10% on each house and paid way less than the 10% for the houses to be torn down. The city council is corrupt as is the mayor ect. ect. Nothing will be done until a class action lawsuit happnes. People need to ban together and take their concerns to a lawyer - not the city. We know from 2011 that they don't give two sh*ts about the people that live on the end of Morehead. I would also contact the Morehead News and let them know that the trussle is damned up again - that's just going to cause more flooding and the city is supposed to keep that clean.... These people - fat as they are - need to be held accountable for their actions. I think the only way anyone is going to see justice is to take them to court. You are wrong too - about how much they give for each house. Some made out like bandits and some had to pay - just to have their home destroyed when Morehead couldn't even pay it's part. However there was a surplus of money for the city that very same year - suspicious? F*ck yes. Call a lawyer, find out your options, band together. Something has to be done about this.
Time again

Cleveland, GA

#14 Jul 5, 2012
I thought city council was suppose to look out for the good of people. It seems all they care about is bringing tourism in. City council needs to get off there butts and help these people get homes and make sure the city is safe for the citizens they represent!
Buck

San Diego, CA

#15 Jul 15, 2012
It's all about the almighty dollar & that's what tourism brings.
Time again

Morehead, KY

#16 Jul 15, 2012
The funny thing is that Morehead isnt a hot bed for tourism

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 hr Betty Davis 22,495
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr Sammy 156,533
Best Hairdresser for Short Hair (Dec '13) 5 hr dave 8
Men over 50 6 hr Idk 2
liberals and you other idiots 7 hr Dudley 64
hey liberal 10 hr reality 3
President Elect Turnip 12 hr antipolicticalcor... 44

Morehead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morehead Mortgages