Worst things about MSU....
Wisdom

Hamilton, OH

#41 Jul 9, 2012
Googled it here are notable MSU Alumni...

Notable alumni

Noah Adams, writer and radio newscaster, former host of National Public Radio's All Things Considered
Rocky Adkins Kentucky Representative (D-District 99) and House Majority Floor Leader
Henry Akin Delayed graduation from Morehead to be drafted by the New York Knicks. Later became one of the "Original Sonics" in Seattle. Played with the Kentucky Colonels of the ABA.
Nelson Allen former Kentucky state Senator
Andy Douglas American professional wrestler
Denny Doyle former MLB second baseman
Kenneth Faried- Current NBA Player for the Denver Nuggets, selected 22nd overall in the 2011 NBA Draft.
Steve Hamilton former MLB pitcher and former professional basketball player
Steve Inskeep NPR Morning Edition host replacing Kentuckian Bob Edwards.
Liz Johnson American professional bowler.
Kelly Kulick American professional bowler and first-ever female winner of a regular PBA Tour event (2010 PBA Tournament of Champions).
Terry McBrayer 1979 Gubernatorial candidate for Governor of Kentucky and former Chairman of the Kentucky Democratic Party. Now a prominent attorney in Lexington, KY.
Bob McCann former professional basketball player
Lori Menshouse former Miss Kentucky
Chris Offutt writer
Jon Rauch MLB pitcher
Phil Simms Quarterback for the New York Giants. MVP of Super Bowl XXI and a 15-year NFL veteran. Now a football analyst for the CBS television network.
Dan Swartz- former National Basketball Association player with Boston Celtics
Walt Terrell former MLB pitcher
Robin L. Webb- Former Kentucky state representative (district 96) and attorney.
Chuck Woolery American game show host.
Mike Gottfried Record of 77-56-6 as football coach at Kansas, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Murray State. Current color commentator and analyst for ESPN.
[edit]

Let me know if it missed any pure artists...
single payer

Ironton, OH

#42 Jul 9, 2012
It produced you so it has to be in the bottom 5 in the US.
Molly

Morehead, KY

#43 Jul 9, 2012
Don't forget the 2012 Tony Award winner, Steve Kazee!

(Not that I think there's any merit to making this kind of list to support anyone's claim here. I just wanted Steve to get his due credit at a notable MSU alum. In which case, I should point out that the Lexington TV news market is crawling with MSU grads.)
Wisdom

Hamilton, OH

#44 Jul 9, 2012
single payer It produced you so it has to be in the bottom 5 in the US..... libs produce such stinging retorts- yikes !!
single payer

Ironton, OH

#45 Jul 9, 2012
Go Colonels
great

Morehead, KY

#46 Jul 9, 2012
Ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently, the university does a poor job educating its students on proper grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and sentence structure. It made my brain hurt trying to make sense of that post. Please tell me you didn't study English. Please?
I guess you know everything since you come from the Big City of Olive Hill this is topix not a class room and everyone understands what this person was saying and maybe some people on here does not go to MSU but does live in Morehead and commenting on MSU!
FYI

Morehead, KY

#47 Jul 9, 2012
It's no longer simply called the art department, it's now "art & design." Now the program seems to focus on teaching skills like drawing and color theory along side computer aided design in terms of print, web, and motion.

Times change and so do jobs. Hell, how many jobs exists now because of the Internet that no one even thought about a generation ago? A good artist will be able to adapt and create jobs for themselves. Most artist in this area will drown in the competition however because they want everything handed to them.

Simply put, please don't decrimanate against the entire field.
Sigh

Morehead, KY

#48 Jul 10, 2012
Wisdom wrote:
Googled it here are notable MSU Alumni...
Notable alumni
Noah Adams, writer and radio newscaster, former host of National Public Radio's All Things Considered
Rocky Adkins Kentucky Representative (D-District 99) and House Majority Floor Leader
Henry Akin Delayed graduation from Morehead to be drafted by the New York Knicks. Later became one of the "Original Sonics" in Seattle. Played with the Kentucky Colonels of the ABA.
Nelson Allen former Kentucky state Senator
Andy Douglas American professional wrestler
Denny Doyle former MLB second baseman
Kenneth Faried- Current NBA Player for the Denver Nuggets, selected 22nd overall in the 2011 NBA Draft.
Steve Hamilton former MLB pitcher and former professional basketball player
Steve Inskeep NPR Morning Edition host replacing Kentuckian Bob Edwards.
Liz Johnson American professional bowler.
Kelly Kulick American professional bowler and first-ever female winner of a regular PBA Tour event (2010 PBA Tournament of Champions).
Terry McBrayer 1979 Gubernatorial candidate for Governor of Kentucky and former Chairman of the Kentucky Democratic Party. Now a prominent attorney in Lexington, KY.
Bob McCann former professional basketball player
Lori Menshouse former Miss Kentucky
Chris Offutt writer
Jon Rauch MLB pitcher
Phil Simms Quarterback for the New York Giants. MVP of Super Bowl XXI and a 15-year NFL veteran. Now a football analyst for the CBS television network.
Dan Swartz- former National Basketball Association player with Boston Celtics
Walt Terrell former MLB pitcher
Robin L. Webb- Former Kentucky state representative (district 96) and attorney.
Chuck Woolery American game show host.
Mike Gottfried Record of 77-56-6 as football coach at Kansas, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Murray State. Current color commentator and analyst for ESPN.
[edit]
Let me know if it missed any pure artists...
What's your beef with artists? Let them go to school for what they want. They still get a degree - a general edcation with that degree which could be applied almost anywhere. The sad thing about MSU is their art department for the most part sucks. There are good professors and some have left. Brenda is also very helpful. However I know of some very successful artists who have graduated from there. That doesn't neccasarily mean that they are nationally known - but that isn' wha successful means.
Wisdom

Hamilton, OH

#49 Jul 10, 2012
No beef with artists; just want you to understand the business world you will face, for a pure artist, you better have a strong plan B for those tendering it with another major-good for you, use the synergism of the 2 degrees and best of luck.

But the better the school program the better the job outcome..in most instances. Thats all. Demand the best of your teachers and expect the best from your self and it will be a positive experience.
worried

Paintsville, KY

#50 Jul 14, 2012
Drugs and Gossip
GRADUATE

San Diego, CA

#51 Jul 14, 2012
can get a good education if you put in an effort you will get out with good experience
Stay on point

United States

#52 Jul 19, 2012
Why are all the good staff leaving? People, there are REAL big issues at Morehead State. They wont give pay raises but they'll dish out $30,000 bonuses to vice president and they'll hire a special assistant for the president. Absurd!!! Morale on campus is at an ALL TIME low.

Since: Sep 08

Nicholasville, KY

#53 Jul 22, 2012
the worst thing about msu is the concessions at the ball games. The popcorn needs both salt and butter and the soda pop needs more carbonation. A good reading of the gauges on those machines would reveal some real issues worthy of at least a legislative investigation. And how about some beer.

a buddha said education should be fun or something like that.
Puzzled

Cleveland, GA

#54 Jul 23, 2012
Stay on point wrote:
Why are all the good staff leaving? People, there are REAL big issues at Morehead State. They wont give pay raises but they'll dish out $30,000 bonuses to vice president and they'll hire a special assistant for the president. Absurd!!! Morale on campus is at an ALL TIME low.
And what's more, they gave a $30,000 pay raise to one of the VP's a couple of months before he retired! Wow! That would probably make a huge difference in his monthly pension. Another thing, the VP's all make well above $125,000, not really sure what they make but I was told it is more than $125,000.

If you totaled the salaries of the president, the special assistant, the VP's, head of departments people and deans, I bet the total would be above $1 million. That is some serious money. I guess this is why they cannot give any raises to the little people who work hourly and must have these jobs to support their families.
Stay on point

United States

#55 Jul 23, 2012
Bet UPike won't have to do much to beat MSU in recruiting students. MSU is MUCH less than most people think!
my opinion

Hillsboro, KY

#56 Jul 23, 2012
Lesbian and gay central. So sad.
Curious

Morehead, KY

#57 Jul 23, 2012
my opinion wrote:
Lesbian and gay central. So sad.
How is that sad? I think it's awesome there is such a supportive place in this area for gay people. If you don't like it suck it up - they're here - they're queer - get over it.
workstudy

Morehead, KY

#58 Jul 24, 2012
I was a workstudy through there for 3 years I put in a transfer bc the staff I was moved under was rude and completely not doing their job right. I never said anything about it just out in a transfer. Then when it got denied I went to talk to Mrs king and she showed me a letter that my supervisor sent her telling her I was late almost everyday I wasn't in the office and always running around the campus. All kinds of lies. When I left very upset, I gathered my time sheets and my clock in times and showed her that I was 20-30 minutes early everyday and most times there before anyone else, and that my lunch time was alwAys 5-10 minutes early on coming back in and most time they made me clock back out and I just sat there and waited. I had a death in the family and asked to be exused to take the phone call and she even put that in her notes saying I lied about it to take a phone call. Even proof of all this. Mrs. King said simply sorry there is nothing I can do about this your termination has already went through. So. Msu kiss my arse everyone one up there for the most part are society climbing tramps. :) I'm done now.
interesting

Morehead, KY

#59 Jul 24, 2012
Interesting rant. MSU does not have "time sheets" or "clock in times" for work study students. Supervisors most certainly do not send letters to "Mrs. King" commenting on your behavior, attendance or anything else for that matter. Work study students do not have "lunch time". It appears you must have been working for maintenance and wanted to bitch - and don't really understand how work study jobs work. I am sorry if you had a bad experience working for MSU, but it is not MSU's fault. Maybe you should be a little more introspective and see if you can figure out what you may have been doing to contribute to your bad experience.

I am sorry you think students at MSU are "society climbing tramps". If that means they are going to school to try to break their cycle of poverty and make something of themselves ... well, so be it.

Here is the reality of this. No school is perfect. I hold degrees from MSU and UK. I've attended WKU as well and yes it is a great school, but the reality is college (and life in general) is what you make of it. I once read that where you go to school - including the Ivy League schools - counts for something about one year or maybe two - beyond that it is all about your performance, work ethic and native ability. It is all about you and what you bring to the table, not about where you went to school.

You can go to MSU and get a good education and make something of yourself. You also can go to Harvard and get a good education and be useless. Education is the key that opens the door - once the door is open you have to figure out the rest.

I'd prefer not to kiss your arse, but thank you for the offer. The wonderful thing about higher education in American is you can totally screw it up - and then go back and take another shot at it when you are older and wiser. We take that for granted. In most other countries just getting to go to college is a hurdle, but if you screw it up that's it - you are done forever. In America, we let everyone try - and if they fail, they can come back and try again. Pretty damn wonderful if you think about it.
workstudy wrote:
I was a workstudy through there for 3 years I put in a transfer bc the staff I was moved under was rude and completely not doing their job right. I never said anything about it just out in a transfer. Then when it got denied I went to talk to Mrs king and she showed me a letter that my supervisor sent her telling her I was late almost everyday I wasn't in the office and always running around the campus. All kinds of lies. When I left very upset, I gathered my time sheets and my clock in times and showed her that I was 20-30 minutes early everyday and most times there before anyone else, and that my lunch time was alwAys 5-10 minutes early on coming back in and most time they made me clock back out and I just sat there and waited. I had a death in the family and asked to be exused to take the phone call and she even put that in her notes saying I lied about it to take a phone call. Even proof of all this. Mrs. King said simply sorry there is nothing I can do about this your termination has already went through. So. Msu kiss my arse everyone one up there for the most part are society climbing tramps.:) I'm done now.
workstudy

Morehead, KY

#60 Jul 24, 2012
Actually they had a sheet where you had to put down time quarterly for your workstudy. Mrs. King was the lady at the financial aide office who was in charge of the workstudy program. And you are not allowed to work so many hours at a time forcing you to take a lunch. Also they give you hours for summer and hours for fall and spring semesters granted you take called all year around which I did. I am not sure what you have done with the workstudy, but apparently as of 2010 you did did not know anything about the program. If you read they didn't comment on my behavior they responded to my transfer thinking I had turned them in for their negligence on the job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min ChromiuMan 165,739
Democrat Presidents helped get us here. 2 hr Wisdom 43
Trump said healthcare was "easy"... 2 hr Covfefe 67
Libtards 2 hr Wisdom 71
Guardian (SRG Morehead) (Jun '12) 3 hr Pitty 6
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 9 hr -Christopher Jarvis 814
Russia mafia and trump 11 hr uncle joe 193

Morehead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morehead Mortgages