Republicans set to vote AGAINST raise for minimum wage

Posted in the Morehead Forum

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Observer

Clay City, KY

#1 Jan 13, 2014
There will be not one of our Republican legislators vote for a raise in the wages that people with children are stuck with. They talk of getting an education to raise your salary but also vote against EVERY bill that gives people aid to get that education. if they payed their FAIR SHARE of taxes and give up the corporate welfare to big oil our economy would ascend overnight. We might see some of the working poor able to educate THEIR children instead of wealthy Mommys and Daddies keeping the poor "in their place".
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#2 Jan 13, 2014
Sorry dolt, it IS about protecting employers, and jobs. For those working in generally unskilled positions the elevation of salary will be accompanied by and increase in goods and services. A price increase to the consumer during bad economic times means less fewer purchases, lower store income. Less income means fewer employees needed.

Then comes along ObamaCare employer mandate, the employer now has to pay more per employee- what happens, prices rise more, fewer employees needed.

It is a real shame there are those so ill informed as not to be able to grasp the concept. I guess rising gas prices mean the buy the same amount regardless of price. Rising food price doesn't bother them, they don't buy store brands, or generics.

Must be nice to be naive when it comes to money and economics- might be partially explanatory as to why they are stuck in a minimum wage job. What are the other areas they are educationally lacking?
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#3 Jan 13, 2014
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Many people think that the rich are able to weasel their way out of taxes, but they actually pay an overwhelming majority of the taxes in the United States.

->->What's more, their share of the tax burden is increasing.

->->The top 10 percent of taxpayers paid over 70% of the total amount collected in federal income taxes in 2010, the latest year figures are available, according to the Tax Foundation, a think tank that advocates for lower taxes.->->That's up from 55% in 1986.

(ok, now reread this and let it sink in.....)

->->The remaining 90% bore just under 30% of the tax burden.

****And 47% of all Americans pay hardly anything at all -- a fact that got Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney into political hot water last year.

"There's been a huge myth created that the rich aren't paying anything," said William McBride, the Tax Foundation's chief economist. "The rich pay a much higher rate than the poor."
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#4 Jan 14, 2014
Love how you dolts can't even accept facts from CNN ( can you say liberal main stream news) that run contrary to your wrong beliefs. Too funny.

“Je suis Charlie”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#5 Jan 14, 2014
Observer wrote:
There will be not one of our Republican legislators vote for a raise in the wages that people with children are stuck with. They talk of getting an education to raise your salary but also vote against EVERY bill that gives people aid to get that education. if they payed their FAIR SHARE of taxes and give up the corporate welfare to big oil our economy would ascend overnight. We might see some of the working poor able to educate THEIR children instead of wealthy Mommys and Daddies keeping the poor "in their place".
If your only goal in life is minimum wage, then good for you! But the next time you pay $25 for a Big Mac don't come here complaining about the increase in the cost of living!
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#6 Jan 15, 2014
The low information voter really doesn't care about facts, it is about the system serving their needs and not about increasing skill sets to meet the needs of the market.

TRENDING HILLARY CLINTON | CHRIS CHRISTIE | OBAMACARE | GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS | BARACK OBAMA
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
Linkedin
The Daily Caller
The Daily Caller

SEND TIPS
HOME
POLITICS
US
ENTERTAINMENT
SPORTS
BUSINESS
TECH
EDUCATION
OPINION
GUNS AND GEAR
VIDEO
BLOGS
JOBS
HOME HOME POLITICS US ENTERTAINMENT SPORTS BUSINESS TECH EDUCATION OPINION GUNS AND GEAR VIDEO BLOGS JOBS

Daily Caller News Foundation

Study: Obama’s proposed minimum wage hike could destroy 1 million jobs
3:18 AM 01/15/2014



Breanna Deutsch
See All Articles
Email Breanna Deutsch
Subscribe to RSS

->->The Obama administration’s proposal to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour could result in as many-> 1,084,000 jobs eliminated from the work force, according to a new study conducted by the Employment Policies Institute (EPI)

“No amount of denial by the president and his political allies —> and no number of ‘studies’ published by biased researchers**—>-> can change the fact that minimum wage hikes eliminate jobs for low-skill and entry-level employees.<-<-->-> Non-partisan economists have agreed on this consensus for decades, and the laws of economics haven’t changed,” Michael Saltsman, research director at EPI, said in a statement.

He offered an alternative to the president’s plan:“Instead of raising small businesses’ labor costs and creating more barriers to entry-level employment, the president and the Senate should focus on policies that help reduce poverty and create jobs.”
The Truth

San Luis Obispo, CA

#7 Jan 17, 2014
Observer wrote:
There will be not one of our Republican legislators vote for a raise in the wages that people with children are stuck with. They talk of getting an education to raise your salary but also vote against EVERY bill that gives people aid to get that education. if they payed their FAIR SHARE of taxes and give up the corporate welfare to big oil our economy would ascend overnight. We might see some of the working poor able to educate THEIR children instead of wealthy Mommys and Daddies keeping the poor "in their place".
I wouldn't vote for it either. Don't you realize this is why they won't shut the souther border down? Its called CHEAP LABOR. Your putting the cart in front of the horse......If you wasn't blinded but whatever news you are reading/watching/listening to. You'll never get a good wage as long as the border is wide open & the infulx of illegal labor force is available. I know you say that doesn't affect you there but you have to look at the bigger picture. This isn't just a Republican thing.
The best thing you could do at this point is join the Tea Party & get with the clear thinking.
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#8 Jan 17, 2014
The reason the mexico border is wide open is so the Democrats will be able to control the country by allowing illegals to flood in, grant amnesty and control the elections by virtue of winning pure democrat states and high immigrant populated large electoral college votes.

All the while allowing them onto the American dole of handouts and give-a-ways. They already advertise in Mexico how they can come to America and get food stamps.

But the low information sheeple are willing to trade their votes, sacrifice their liberties for the government goodies and the right to kill their unborn children.

Viva la Amerikka.
well

Amherst, OH

#9 Jan 17, 2014
A higher minimum wage would also help to mitigate the abusive, exploitative working practices of a number of employers, who take advantage of the currently low minimum wage to seek cut-rate help.

Such employers often use undocumented labor, which further undermines America’s working poor.

The republicans are not worry about illegals, they support the cheaper labor. They want these illegal here or they would have done something under bush1 and 2.

As long as the rich get cheap labor from illegals, the republicans are happy, happy,. happy

Republicans don't want to see Americans rise from poverty. Who would they blame for all that is wrong? Who would they demonize?

wisdom, u been right about NOTHING

Even all ur scandals, theories, prediction. NOTHING
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#10 Jan 17, 2014
Proof that democrats are using enticements to support illegals, and illegal immigration.

Unfortunately, some people fail to realize that some of the wealthiest are also Democrats as well.

Well- please show me where I have been wrong.

Health care push for those in Calif. illegally
Democrat says legal status should be irrelevant

SACRAMENTO, Calif.—A California lawmaker wants to use a state version of the Affordable Care Act to provide health care access to immigrants who are in the state illegally.

Sen. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, said if the goal of the federal health care law is to provide coverage to the uninsured, then immigration status should be irrelevant.

Lara, the head of the Legislature's Latino caucus, plans to introduce legislation that would allow people who are not legal residents to get coverage, the Los Angeles Times reported Friday.
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#11 Jan 17, 2014
HOME > NEWS > OPINION BLOGS
Posted: 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2014
Congress: More Democrat millionaires than Republican ... and here's why

By Herman Cain
The suckers are buying it!

In a report from AllGov.com , we learn that for the first time more than half of all members of Congress are millionaires. But what’s really interesting about the story is that it->-> tells us there are more Democrats than Republicans in Congress who are millionaires. <-<-

That is not surprising to some of us, but it might be to a lot of people who have bought the Democrat/lamestream media narrative that Republicans are “the party of the rich.”
Let me tell you why this really is.

First, let’s understand there is nothing wrong with being a millionaire, or a billionaire for that matter. Contrary to what the rhetoric of the Democratic Party suggests, the vast majority of rich people have earned their fortunes by working hard and accomplishing things that have benefited others.

That includes those who have made their money by investing, because they have put their capital at risk to help finance businesses that create jobs and produce goods and services people want and need.
Having said that, how can it be that there are more Democrat millionaires than Republican millionaires when everyone knows the conventional wisdom that Democrats are the party of the working man and Republicans are the party of the rich?

Because that’s a load of crap, that’s how.

There are a lot of different ways to make a living, and I’ve got no problem with any of them as long as they’re legal, but let’s look at what they are. One way is to put your capital at risk starting and operating a business. Some people who do this become millionaires, but the vast majority do not. I’m generalizing, but I->-> think it’s fair to say this is the path more often taken by Republicans, who believe in pursuing opportunities in the free market. Others pursue careers as business executives within larger companies – and yes, you can make good enough money to become a millionaire but most who take this path fall well short of that even though many of them do quite well.

People who pursue business careers and later decide to run for Congress **->often do so because they see what a big problem the meddling of government is for the business community. And as you might expect, they run as Republicans.
Now, as for the Democrats, consider this: Barack Obama, who held jobs like “community organizer” and constitutional law professor – and yes, I recognize the irony there – is a millionaire.
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#12 Jan 17, 2014
For the First Time, Half of Members of Congress are Millionaires…Democrats Worth more than Republicans



4 Saturday, January 11, 2014

Members of Congress continued to get richer last year, resulting in more than 50% of lawmakers possessing a net worth of $1 million or more—something that’s never happened before in congressional history.

Of 534 current members of Congress, at least 268 were millionaires, according the Center for Responsive Politics’ review of financial disclosure reports filed last year.

The median net worth for the 530 lawmakers who were in Congress as of the May 2013 filing deadline was $1,008,767—up from $966,000 during the previous year.

->->The center also found that Democrats overall were a little wealthier than Republicans in Congress,$1.04 million versus $1 million. Both groups saw their collective net worth go up, from $990,000 for Democrats and $907,000 for Republicans in the previous year.
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#13 Jan 17, 2014
Well, to prove you incorrect- there is not much difference in party identification amongst the top 1% earners in America versus the rest of the country.


DECEMBER 14, 2011, 11:51 AM
The Politics of the Top 1 Percent
By JOHN SIDES

What are the political attitudes of the very wealthy? How, and how much, do they differ from the less wealthy? The combination of growing inequality, a weak economy, and Occupy Wall Street’s ability to focus political debate on inequality makes the answers to these questions particularly relevant.

One answer to these questions comes from a new analysis by Gallup that made the rounds last week. By aggregating 61 polls from 2009-2011, they were able to measure the opinions of about 400 respondents with annual incomes of $500,000 or above.
Gallup reports only modest differences in their party identification:->57 percent of the 1 percent identify as or lean Republican,->compared to 44 percent of the 99 percent.( of the rest of the country earners) There are virtually no differences in how they identify ideologically: 39 percent of the 1 percent identify as conservative, compared to 40 percent of the 99 percent.(of other earners)
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#14 Jan 17, 2014
Well, well....aren't you just SO WRONG....

Those “Evil, Rich People”– are Democrats


(Image: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Larry Ellison – Democrats)

From the,“you never hear about that from the media” file – Those “Evil, Rich People” that Democrats are always wailing about are actually – Democrats.

While I don’t agree in referring to rich people as “Evil”, Democrats are often making such accusations.

***But what most people don’t realize is that the Top 3 “richest” people in the country are all Democrats.***
This list includes: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett & Larry Ellison are all Democrats. Together, they are worth $126 Billion Dollars.

An analysis of the->-> Top 20 Richest People in America (from Forbes Top 100)->-> reveals that a full 60% are actually Democrats. <-<-

Furthermore, if you look at it from a “family” point of view and not as individuals, that ratio widens even further to: 25% Republican / 75% Democrat.

->->Lest we not forget, Democrats outweigh Republicans.

->-> Not only in terms of the number of uber-millionaires, but also with their net worth. In this Top 20 group,->-> Democrats have a combined net worth of $263.1 billion dollars while the->-> Republicans have a combined net worth of only $143.9 billion dollars – almost half that of Democrats.

So the next time you hear some Liberal try the “Evil Rich Republican” rhetoric, remind them and everyone around you that it is the Democrats who are those “Evil Rich People”, not the Republicans.

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN SCHOOLED- USEFUL IDIOT.
snicker

Morehead, KY

#15 Jan 17, 2014
Wisdom wrote:
Well, well....aren't you just SO WRONG....
Those “Evil, Rich People”– are Democrats
(Image: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Larry Ellison – Democrats)
From the,“you never hear about that from the media” file – Those “Evil, Rich People” that Democrats are always wailing about are actually – Democrats.
While I don’t agree in referring to rich people as “Evil”, Democrats are often making such accusations.
***But what most people don’t realize is that the Top 3 “richest” people in the country are all Democrats.***
This list includes: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett & Larry Ellison are all Democrats. Together, they are worth $126 Billion Dollars.
An analysis of the->-> Top 20 Richest People in America (from Forbes Top 100)->-> reveals that a full 60% are actually Democrats. <-<-
Furthermore, if you look at it from a “family” point of view and not as individuals, that ratio widens even further to: 25% Republican / 75% Democrat.
->->Lest we not forget, Democrats outweigh Republicans.
->-> Not only in terms of the number of uber-millionaires, but also with their net worth. In this Top 20 group,->-> Democrats have a combined net worth of $263.1 billion dollars while the->-> Republicans have a combined net worth of only $143.9 billion dollars – almost half that of Democrats.
So the next time you hear some Liberal try the “Evil Rich Republican” rhetoric, remind them and everyone around you that it is the Democrats who are those “Evil Rich People”, not the Republicans.
YOU HAVE JUST BEEN SCHOOLED- USEFUL IDIOT.
If only you knew how you come across to people. No one bothers to read your copy/paste rants because underneath each of those unoriginal gun slinging your all going to hell but me I'm better than you you don't deserve to live hope you stay poor look at me I'm as pure as the driven snow speeches even you can't stand yourself.
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#16 Jan 17, 2014
Nope, I am just providing you the truth. If you can't prove it otherwise, all you have left are your half baked opinions....in the real world facts are what makes things happen, not opinions.

Better open your eyes, because my little pastes are called facts and come from sources far more credible than I. Perhaps you might want to start reading them or be sacrificed as time moves forward.

No one ever moves forward without preparedness, and information. I can stand myself, I can't stand those who are close minded and not open to learning....or comprehending.

Like I said, go prove me wrong.
The Truth

San Luis Obispo, CA

#17 Jan 17, 2014
snicker wrote:
<quoted text>
If only you knew how you come across to people. No one bothers to read your copy/paste rants because underneath each of those unoriginal gun slinging your all going to hell but me I'm better than you you don't deserve to live hope you stay poor look at me I'm as pure as the driven snow speeches even you can't stand yourself.
Don't be a dumbass. Just because you can't stand to read the facts or be proven wrong. Attack the individual is all you can do?
Wisdom

Florence, KY

#18 Jan 18, 2014
The liberal methodology of attack, when they cannot disprove a fact is to a) attack the poster, b) attack the credibility of the source, c) constrict the issue down to a singular and emotional event, d) change the topic through diversionary remarks or subjects i.e. "backward blaming".

If you pay attention you will see this over and over; and even showing my cards to them they still will employ the same tactics.
well

Amherst, OH

#19 Jan 18, 2014
Bless ur heart ur still confused

I never said... there were no rich democrats
It was the RICH DEMOCRATS that said
They didn't need a tax cut give it to the working poor and working class

It's the republicans (especially the rich) that call those who r poor, poor working class
Lazy, Takers and other names to demonize them
While hiring the cheap illegals

The republicans are the ones that blame all the poor for what is wrong
The republicans forget about the war 4 no reason and a way to pay 4 it

The republicans r still spewing that the children who receive reduced or free lunches, should clean schools

It's only a matter of time b 4 the republicans will want the children to wear a tag, a sign, or a mark on them to let all know they have help for lunches.

I repeat it again. U been right about NOTHING
u can copy and paste all the extreme right wing opinions
opinions r NOT FACTS

lets see.... ur conspiracy theories and prediction HAVE NOT BEEN PROVEN

Benghazi, fast and furious, IRS, all of them "worse than Watergate"
What happen NOTHING.....NO PROOF

I would suggest if u have some PROOF
Isaa and his band of brothers would LOVE to get it from u.
They haven't been able to find NOTHING...... LMFAO

lets see....Obama will b impeach -WRONG

moots win by land slide - WRONG

Obama will take away our guns - WRONG

Oh Yeah, aborting a zygote, a fetus is not a baby. It's legal

It's just ur opinion- again not a FACT

If u think it's immoral-ok. Still not a FACT- just ur opinion, again.
eh

Greenville, KY

#20 Jan 18, 2014
Wisdom wrote:
Love how you dolts can't even accept facts from CNN ( can you say liberal main stream news) that run contrary to your wrong beliefs. Too funny.
FACTS from cnn. Now that's comical.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 19 min Yes and Amen 135,202
Morehead Inspiration Center (Aug '13) 1 hr buddy 34
MSU professors dating students 6 hr JRM 19
News Harlan native named Morehead police chief 10 hr HA HA HA 3
Bill Abrams at Nestle in Mt. Sterling 10 hr pinto bean 1
Sheltowee Trace 12 hr hiker 4
Manger at Fast Lane 14 hr WooHoo 9
Morehead Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Morehead People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]