Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,724

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“Bald Eagle”

Since: May 12

Atlantis

#55124 Jun 5, 2012
I Can't prove that it was her that said the fish tacos at applebee's where nasty, but after telling her about a "CERTAIN PERSON" me knowing that the regular troll had been posting crap about another one of my so called best friends, I Figured it was her! as a matter of fact the night i told her about this person which lives in "SINCITY" we where hanging out at that friends house aka boogieman (speaking of the devil) a black bird just stopped at my window, hopefully it's not a crow i heard people die when this happens but it must be a highly hallucigenic drug user thing idk i hope its more of a white owl thing i remember reading something like that in a book of native legends, hopefully its not an urraca i highly dislike those pica pica's lol

copy & paste !

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#55125 Jun 5, 2012
tinponyrider wrote:
<quoted text>And just how do you know that I don't wear a helmet? For one you have never seen or met me, and yes I do wear a full faced with a blacked out shield. LMFAO at the original Trolls and their Cods-Vine......And just what don't you Trolls like about a pink Harley with purple racing stripes?
Go away! You proved yourself last night. You are the worse troll and the weakest. Friendly ol you. All Goo Crew are cowards. Lookin to start sh!t. Work those fingers all you want! I know you and you know me!
I don't care if never met or ever meet. You are the most sneaky and most untrusworthy. To begin with you hurt the feelings of some of my friends in Scottsvegas because your heartless ass had to join forces with an anti-patriot coward. That's right,then played your trick last night.

Yep I know you very well. You do not care about a damn thing here except harassing people, and that's illegal.
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55127 Jun 5, 2012
Lobozswaqq wrote:
<quoted text>I love Mcdonald's, I pass through the drive through just about every other day! lol
Me too, I love their sweet tea.

“Bald Eagle”

Since: May 12

Atlantis

#55128 Jun 5, 2012

I Can't prove that it was her that said the fish tacos at applebee's where nasty, but after telling her about a "CERTAIN PERSON" me knowing that the regular troll had been posting crap about another one of my so called best friends, I Figured it was her! as a matter of fact the night i told her about this person which lives in "SINCITY" we where hanging out at that friends house aka boogieman (speaking of the devil) a black bird just stopped at my window, hopefully it's not a crow i heard people die when this happens but it must be a highly hallucigenic drug user thing idk i hope its more of a white owl thing i remember reading something like that in a book of native legends, hopefully its not an urraca i highly dislike those pica pica's lol
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55129 Jun 5, 2012
Blueminer wrote:
Now switch over to your proxy and talk more sh!t, moron!
You are right, they do that a lot. They aren't fooling anyone.
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55130 Jun 5, 2012
Tard Can Roll Eye wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me the only ones here 24/7 are you, nutlicker, and fartman.
Exactly
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55131 Jun 5, 2012
Wow that didn't take long, scroll, scroll, more slime, scroll, scroll, scroll, more scrolling, more slime, a few decent posters, a couple REGULARS, slime, slime, more scrolling, whew, I am tired of scrolling. I had a busy day, having fun, swimming, having fun, BBQing, music, playing cards, watching the Celtics beat the Heat in the playoffs, 3-2 now, seeing friends off, email checked, and look the trolls have disappeared. I love it.
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55132 Jun 5, 2012
Earthquake report

Washington
Magnitude: 2.7

Nevada
Magnitude: 2.2

Alaska - 11 total
Magnitude: 4.0

Hawaii - 16 total
Magnitude: 4.1

California - 13 total
Magnitude: 3.0

Elsewhere:

Japan - 2 total
Magnitude: 6.2

Taiwan - 4 total
Magnitude: 5.7

Indonesia- 4 total
Magnitude: 5.6

Vanuatu - 4 total
Magnitude: 5.3

Solomon Islands - 2 total
Magnitude: 5.1

Portugal - 3 total
Magnitude: 4.9

Russia - 2 total
Magnitude: 4.5

Mexico - 3 total
Magnitude: 4.3

Guatemala - 2 total
Magnitude: 4.3

Turkey, Greece, Italy, Iran, Switzerland, France, Puerto Rico, Boznia, Herzegovina, and the British Virgin Islands also had earthquakes today.

Event type: Tornado
Missouri Area
Scott County
City: Diehlstadt

Lots of volcano activity.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55133 Jun 5, 2012
Mass Animal Deaths so far this June: Dead BIRDS in South Carolina
JUNE 2012

Jun 3 Five Canada geese found dead on park pond, cause of deaths not yet known, SC, USA

Jun 3 Third loggerhead sea turtle found dead inside twenty days, DE, USA

Jun 3 Four endangered Southern Resident orcas are still missing, WA, USA see related article from Feb 13

Jun 3 10 meter long female sperm whale, between 20 and 40 years of age strands on beach and dies five hours later, necropsy to be performed to determine cause of death, Puerto Rico

Jun 3 Second dead whale in two weeks found washed ashore, ME, USA see related article from May 17

Jun 3 60 fish found dead in city aquarium, die-off blamed, MI, USA

Jun 2 Three critically endangered Sumatran elephants found dead, poisoning suspected, Indonesia

Jun 2 Sick pygmy sperm whale strands, officials sedate and euthanise it, FL, USA

Jun 1 Deaths of fish at dam not caused by effluent run-off, investigations continue, Ghana

Jun 1 Tiger found dead on tiger sanctuary, starvation suspected, India

http://paradigmsbend.blogspot.com/p/list-of-m...
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55134 Jun 5, 2012
Secret 'Hubbles' given to NASA Time

not a secret anymore....

Space

NASA Gets Two New Hubble Telescopes — Absolutely Free

It hardly bears mentioning that the orbiting Hubble Space Telescope is one of the most extraordinarily successful scientific instruments of all time. Since 1993, when the telescope's flawed mirror was set right by a set of custom-fit corrective lenses, the Hubble has captured one spectacular image after another of everything from the familiar planets of the solar system to quasars and galaxies at the edge of the visible universe — and thanks to four repair missions by shuttle-riding astronauts, the telescope has managed to survive the harsh environment of orbital space far longer than anyone could have imagined.

All good things must come to an end, though. The shuttle is flying no more, and within the next couple of years, the aging telescope will gradually wink out too. It will be a terrible loss to science, and it kind of makes you wish someone had a spare Hubble secretly stashed away, just waiting to be unpacked and sent into orbit. That's what would happen in the Hollywood version, anyway.

But it turns out that it is happening in real life too. The National Science Foundation has just revealed the existence of not one but two pristine, Hubble-class space telescopes still in their original wrappings in a warehouse in Rochester, N.Y. The pair was originally built for the National Reconnaissance Office, the agency in charge of spy satellites, to look down at Earth rather than up into space. But the NRO has moved on to bigger and better instruments, and decided to hand the telescopes over. "It just blew me away when I heard about this," says Princeton astrophysicist David Spergel, a member of the National Academy of Science's Committee on Astrophysics and Astronomy. "I knew nothing about it."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,859...
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55135 Jun 5, 2012
Wait for it.....a BIRD story:

Did early birds exterminate giant insects?
Published June 05, 2012

An image of a 7.5-inch-long 300-million year old fossil wing from Stephanotypus schneideri, along with an illustration of the largest relatively recent insect wing for comparison, that of 12-million-year-old 2.6-inch-long Epiaeschna lucida wing.(Wolfgang Zessin, Matthew Clapham)

An image of a 7.5-inch-long 300-million year old fossil wing from Stephanotypus schneideri, along with an illustration of the largest relatively recent insect wing for comparison, that of 12-million-year-old 2.6-inch-long Epiaeschna lucida wing.(Wolfgang Zessin, Matthew Clapham)

Giant insects that ruled prehistoric skies for millions of years may have met their end due to the evolution of predatory birds, researchers say.

Gigantic insects once dominated the Earth. About 300 million years ago, during the late Carboniferous and early Permian periods, the largest flying insects known, the predatory dragonfly-like griffinflies, had wingspans of up to 28 inches, about the same as the modern wood duck.

The leading theory of how flying insects reached such stupendous sizes has to do with past periods of high oxygen concentrations in the atmosphere, reaching up to some 50 percent richer than today. All this extra oxygen is thought to have supported the energy-hungry metabolisms of flying insects, helping them grow to titanic maximum sizes.

To test this theory linking oxygen with body size, paleontologists Matthew Clapham and Jered Kerr at the University of California, Santa Cruz, compiled a data set of insect wing lengths from more than 10,500 fossils collected from more than 1,000 published records. They next compared wing sizes with models of prehistoric atmospheric oxygen levels from data spanning the last 320 million years.

The researchers found that average insect wing size roughly matched atmospheric oxygen levels as they varied up and down for the first 150 million years of insect evolution.

Clapham and Kerr detailed their findings online June 4 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"Before, we only had anecdotal reports that there were giant insect fossils in the late Carboniferous and early Permian when oxygen levels were high, but no one had looked systematically at the maximal size of insects over a broad range of evolutionary time," said evolutionary physiologist Jon Harrison at Arizona State University, who did not take part in this research.

However, Clapham and Kerr found this pattern changed dramatically about 150 million years ago, with insect size shrinking despite rising oxygen levels. They note this shift coincided with the first appearance of birds in the fossil record.

They suggest that given the aerial threat posed by feathered predators, the driving force in the evolution of flying insects became the need for maneuverability, thus favoring smaller body size.

continued:
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55136 Jun 5, 2012
continued:

In addition, maximum insect size decreased further between 60 million and 90 million years ago. This change might be linked with how ancient birds got better at flying during this period, as they came to resemble modern birds in performance by then, Clapham said. Another factor could be the evolution of bats, or environmental collapses following the so-called K-T mass extinction that ended the age of dinosaurs about 65 million years ago. More insect fossils from this time are needed to judge which factors might be responsible.

Ancient insects contended with other aerial predators, including the flying reptiles known as pterosaurs, which appeared about 230 million years ago and perished with the K-T mass extinction. The researchers found weak evidence that insect size shrunk after pterosaurs evolved, although a 20-million-year gap in the insect fossil record and a drop in oxygen level at about the same time has made it challenging to see how much of an effect pterosaurs had.

"Although there is evidence from pterosaur teeth that some may have been insectivorous, I think they probably weren't as agile or maneuverable fliers as birds so it would make sense that they had a lesser effect on size evolution," Clapham said.

Although these findings suggested the maximum sizes that insects reached were influenced by atmospheric oxygen, future research can seek to see if average insect sizes also rose and fell with oxygen levels.

"Our results describe changes in the maximum size of the largest insects, not changes in the size of all insects," Clapham said. "Even though there were giant insects in the past, most insects have always been small like they are today."

The problem with studying if atmospheric oxygen levels influenced average insect wing size is that the wings of small insects may not always get preserved very well -- they may be too small to make enough of an impression on surrounding sediment that survives to get fossilized.

"For example, insects preserved in marine rocks are dominated by dragonflies and other powerful flying insects, which tend to be large, and lack a lot of the small things you would find in a more continental deposit," Clapham said.

Further studies can also investigate how different kinds of insects may have changed in size depending on atmospheric oxygen levels over time, Harrison said. For instance, experiments have shown that beetles are larger when raised in mildly high oxygen levels, while cockroaches are smaller and grasshoppers remain the same size, he noted.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/05/did...
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55137 Jun 5, 2012
Msnbc.com : Halos, moonbows shine in U.S.

Season 2012 : Episode 0605

June 5: Ice crystals and sun beams created a halo around the sun in Florida while Hawaii residents were treated to a moonbow. Msnbc.com 's Dara Brown reports.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/halos-...

Beautiful.
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55138 Jun 5, 2012
Giant manta ray swallows up spider crabs

Jun 5, 2012
Raw video: Divers capture rare sight in Australian waters

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1673502725001/gian...

Wish a Giant Manta Ray would swallow the unaass bottom feeders we have sliming up our thread. lol

Blue shark devours giant squid

Recently deceased sea creature eaten by predator off the coast of Australia

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1672834453001/blue...

Would love to see a shark eat some of the unaass giant slimy sewer squids we have slithering around this thread.
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55139 Jun 5, 2012
Wow, I am on a troll free roll....hahahaha

BIRDS, BIRDS, and more BIRDS.....

Kentuckybirds.com serves the backyard bird enthusiast of Kentucky. If you enjoy feeding and watching birds in your yard or local park then we hope to provide you with information to enhance the enjoyment of your hobby.
http://kentuckybirds.com/

Birds found in Kentucky
http://www.whatbird.com/browse/objs/All/birds...

Our Kentucky State Bird
Noted for their bright red plumage, cardinals have about two dozen songs.
Photograph courtesy Harvey Doerksen/U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Map
Cardinal Range
Audio
Fast Facts
Type:
Bird
Diet:
Omnivore
Average life span in the wild:
15 years
Size:
8 to 9 in (21 to 23 cm)
Weight:
1.5 to 1.8 oz (42 to 51 g)
Did you know?
Unlike many songbirds, both male and female cardinals sing, and the female often vocalizes with song from her nest.
Size relative to a tea cup:

The northern cardinal is so well loved that it has been named the official bird of no fewer than seven U.S. states. Bright red cardinals are easily identified by even casual bird watchers, and are often seen frequenting backyards and bird feeders. When foraging elsewhere the birds eat insects, seeds, grain, fruit, and sap.

Cardinals, also called "redbirds," do not migrate and have traditionally been more common in warmer climes such as the U.S. southeast. However, in recent decades they have expanded their common range north through the United States and even into Canada. This population growth may be due to an increase in winter birdfeeders and to the bird's ability to adapt to parks and suburban human habitats.

Only males sport the brilliant red plumage for which their species is known. The color is a key to mating success—the brighter the better. Females are an attractive tan/gray.

Cardinals are active songbirds and sing a variety of different melodies.

Males can be aggressive when defending their territory, and they frequently attack other males who intrude. This tendency sometimes leads cardinals to fly into glass windows, when they charge an "intruding bird" that is really their own reflection.

Cardinals are fairly social and join in flocks that may even include birds of other species. During mating season, however, groups dissolve into pairs. Male birds feed their monogamous partners as they incubate clutches of eggs—typically three per season.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals...
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55140 Jun 5, 2012
Singing BIRDS:

Animal News: Bird Feathers "Sing"
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/new...
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55141 Jun 5, 2012
BIRD quiz:

Backyard Birds Quiz
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals...
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55142 Jun 5, 2012
Birds of Prey: World's Deadliest: Super-Hearing Helps Owl Hunt

World's Deadliest: Super-Hearing Helps Owl Hunt
No prey in sight? No problem. With its super-powered hearing, the great grey owl can hunt rodents scurrying beneath a layer of snow two feet deep.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/ani...
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55143 Jun 5, 2012
Abeliever

Nashville, TN

#55144 Jun 5, 2012
For you trolls who whine we don't talk about BIRDS but always spew nothing but slime, sludge, and slop like the pigs they are. Don't burn that one cell you might have trying to read my post or understand anything about BIRDS, earthquakes, mass animal deaths, space events, or inspirational GODvines. I give you some BIRDS, besides the two on my hands, you CAN understand.....

sylvester & Tweety cartoon

Coyote catches Road Runner
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Foghorn Leghorn Rant!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

oh, and since I think your nanny, Miss Font, likes hummingbirds if I recall correctly, this one is for her. Poor thing trying her best to make you act like a human being. Bless her heart.~ &#9829; ~

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr Known Fact 132,123
Pets 6 hr um 2
Who is stupidest? 7 hr My Two Cents 3
rowan cty christmas 22 hr maryann 35
OD at Interstate Trailer Park Wed caverun6 5
Ernie Edwards Tue Clearfield61 2
Mountain Lions in East KY (Mar '10) Tue jimbob 221
Morehead Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Morehead People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Morehead News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Morehead

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:45 am PST

NFL10:45AM
One Preview: Steelers could ride 'Triplets' to division title
NFL11:45 AM
Injury roundup: A.J. Green misses Bengals practice
NBC Sports11:49 AM
Reggie Wayne needs offseason triceps surgery
NBC Sports 1:29 PM
Colts say they will be all business despite nothing to gain - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?