Puppy is hurt, leg broken, and I can'...

Puppy is hurt, leg broken, and I can't afford the vet. Any suggestions?

Posted in the Morehead Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
page

Owingsville, KY

#1 May 28, 2011
My puppy got ran over and his leg is broken. Tried the vet but it cost over 300 dollars for them to look at it.
Not sure what to do, read online about splinting it but don't want the puppy to grow with a deformed bone. Curious if anyone knows what I should do. He is immobilized and I am keeping him from moving. Please help if anyone knows anything at all, I would appreciate it greatly.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
mamma44

Morehead, KY

#5 May 28, 2011
Never heard of a vet around here wanting that much just to look at a pet, its an emergency just like it would be with people and we dont always have the money but we GET IT TAKEN CARE OF!!!
Have many a pet to the vet, with and without money, take the puppy to the vet!!!!
If you dont then it could be in for a lifetime of pain and a reminder to you every time you look at it!
good guys

Bedford, OH

#6 May 28, 2011
Ask for a payment plan. You don't know till you ask. Do something. How can you let this puppy be in pain.

If a morehead vet won't do a plan-go some where
else. I hear that there are good vets in other towns.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
page

Owingsville, KY

#7 May 28, 2011
See, I took it to the vet, it has pain medication. They said sometimes puppies bones can mend themselves. So hopefully it will or else, I will be selling some of my stuff.
175 for them to look at it and x-ray.
300 for care, like fixing it.
2,000 if he needs surgery.
Sorry everyone but you have some illusion that money can just flow from some place. I can't even get it done with my medical issues. Payment plans work if you have perfect credit. It actually was being given away. I know that I can't afford a dog, not that I would bash anyone for having a dog when they can't afford it. Mostly they just need food. Have you seen the animal shelter. A lot of animals are put down. Most of the time, I would imagine people have animals and they never get injured but at least those animals aren't being put down.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
7eleven

Owingsville, KY

#8 May 28, 2011
Honestly a little taken aback by everyone's back lash. Have you checked the food stamp office. A lot of people are having kids around here and they can't afford them. Just because it get's taken care of doesn't mean you are the one paying for it. Now does it? The government pays for a lot of things and if you think most single parents are able to pay what's given in medical bills with their taxes alone, they are delusional. Sorry guys but over half of the nation is paid minimum wage.
Just because you can't get it taken care of doesn't mean you aren't a good person. Sometimes in this economy, getting it taken care of is simply out of our reach. Plain and simple.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
7eleven

Owingsville, KY

#9 May 28, 2011
And the vet is on first street, they suggested we take the animal to another vet. Obviously we can't until the day after tomorrow because it is Sunday.
Try another

Morehead, KY

#10 May 28, 2011
7eleven wrote:
And the vet is on first street, they suggested we take the animal to another vet. Obviously we can't until the day after tomorrow because it is Sunday.
That is the most expensive vet in town. Try Dr. Derrickson at Rowan Vet. Clinic. Ask about payment plans, some do and they don't run credit checks, it is just a courtesy and a humane effort on their part to eleviate suffering of an animal.

There is a vet clinic in West Liberty that is very good and cheaper than most here. I took my cat there to get her spayed because of the difference in cost. You might call them, too.

You need to do something quickly, the pain meds will run out and meanwhile the bones are not healing properly. That baby is depending on you.
awe

Morehead, KY

#11 May 28, 2011
page wrote:
My puppy got ran over and his leg is broken. Tried the vet but it cost over 300 dollars for them to look at it.
Not sure what to do, read online about splinting it but don't want the puppy to grow with a deformed bone. Curious if anyone knows what I should do. He is immobilized and I am keeping him from moving. Please help if anyone knows anything at all, I would appreciate it greatly.
See if STAR animal rescue would take the puppy and get it some help at vet. They will probably keep it too, but it's more important that it get some good care. If not, then Doc Derrickson may work with small payments. Real sad, wish you both well.
Busybody

Olive Hill, KY

#12 May 28, 2011
60 gunner wrote:
Choot him!Choot him!......Not really!Surely some vet would work with you on payments.That's Inhumane to turn down EMERGENCY treatment for a puppy.A Cat i can see but not a puppy!
Oh, I see! You wouldn't get treatment for a cat. I wish it was you lying there immobilized in pain. Then see how you like it.
Seriously

Olive Hill, KY

#13 May 28, 2011
Go to dr bens in Owingsville. They will let u write several checks and will let u schedule the checks to come thru different times. Good luck.
Fan of Dr D

Morehead, KY

#14 May 28, 2011
I have been taking animals to Dr. Derrickson for years. My cats have had some major surgeries there and the cost was much less than you mentioned. For example... Last year I was charged $35 dollars for the first x-ray and $20 for an additional one.
Swoosh

Lexington, KY

#17 May 29, 2011
Puppy bones knit very quickly, usually within 24 hours, if the leg is properly splinted. The splint should be removed, and if the leg "flops" at that point, it will have to be taken to the vet or put down. Remove and resplint every day for two weeks. The dog will be fine, or not. A slight bend in the leg is not unusual, even if you have it set by the vet, and the dog will not even notice. Like a friend's mom said, "If cornbread killed dogs, every dog in the South would have been dead a hundred years ago"
page

Owingsville, KY

#18 May 29, 2011
an idea wrote:
<quoted text>If you can't afford to take care of a pet, don't get one. So.........you are letting it suffer with a broken leg? How humane of you! How would you feel if your parents did you that way? Put the dog down and NEVER get another pet!
Obviously you didn't read any of the above quotes did you?
We are trying to get a hold of the STARS program, looked online but can't find the number.
Also all of the vet's are closed today and I can't find any place that is open to buy anything. Until Tuesday, everywhere is closed. The puppy was being given away! Is it that hard to read. He has enough pain medicine to last until Tuesday. We are looking at a Vet in Bath County, supposedly they are one of the cheaper ones.
Here

Morehead, KY

#19 May 29, 2011
page wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you didn't read any of the above quotes did you?
We are trying to get a hold of the STARS program, looked online but can't find the number.
Also all of the vet's are closed today and I can't find any place that is open to buy anything. Until Tuesday, everywhere is closed. The puppy was being given away! Is it that hard to read. He has enough pain medicine to last until Tuesday. We are looking at a Vet in Bath County, supposedly they are one of the cheaper ones.
With all due respect, I don't think it was the cost of acquiring an animal that was the issue in previous posts. We understand that you got it for free. But when we take in animals, the initial cost is a mere fraction of what it takes to maintain a healthy pet. A person takes on not only the responsibility to provide proper nutrition and adequate shelter, but also all the vaccinations and periodic vet checks to keep the pet healthy. And should unforseen circumstances occur, such as an illness or accident, we have to be ready to sacrifice as necessary to make sure that the animal is cared for properly.

Taking on an pet of any kind that we are not able to properly maintain is not doing that animal any favors. It would be better to let someone else take that free puppy who is better able to provide for it's needs, both now and in the future.

Now, a simple google search of "star morehead ky" yielded all the information about the STAR rescue group. They do not have a phone number listed, but their email is [email protected]

I don't like calling doctors on off hours, however, since this would be considered an emergency of sorts, you might also consider calling Dr. Ralph Derrickson at home, if nothing else he might be able to offer you suggestions. He is in the phone book. They are used to calls in off hours, just as doctors are. I have had to call vets in to see an animal after hours in an emergency before.

Now, please don't be so defensive. People are concerned about the welfare of this little guy and are trying their best to offer you helpful suggestions.

Good luck.
60 gunner

United States

#20 May 29, 2011
Busybody wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see! You wouldn't get treatment for a cat. I wish it was you lying there immobilized in pain. Then see how you like it.
NOPE!Sure wouldn't!Now you can sit back,relax and have a nice hot cup of S.T.F.U.SLAG!
page

Owingsville, KY

#21 May 29, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Just call Derrickson, only if I am a client they will see the puppy.
150 just for being an after hours call
100 for x-ray
then was told, looking at about 500 if he needs surgery.

Wasn't trying to be a grouch before, but after you pay bills, pretty much all money is gone for anyone including us. My intentions were never on keeping the puppy, it was going to another home the day after it's leg was broken. Don't want to put that on anyone else though. I am trying to get rid of anything worth selling. Media 1 is closed and all of the jewelry stores are closed too. Until Tuesday because it is Memorial Day weekend. Bad timing.
The puppy seems to be doing okay though. Drinking and eating. No swelling. It seems like a pretty clean break though, no tear or anything.
Have tried emailing STARs, called every vet, left messages. Tried Morehead States animal number.

Thanks for all of the help. Going to keep trying though.
Page puncher

United States

#22 May 29, 2011
Page must be one cold hearted c^nt to let that pup suffer all weekend like that.
blah

Morehead, KY

#23 May 29, 2011
Good God....Using the holiday as an excuse for the suffering.
I know for a fact neither Ralph or Tony would turn anyone away in an emergency situation,current client or not.
page

Owingsville, KY

#24 May 29, 2011
For anyone that is concerned. Took the puppy to the dog pound after reading STARs and a vet school from Pennsylvania would be out there working building new kennels for the shelter.
They were extremely helpful, they are going to get the animals leg fixed and promised it a good home.
Thanks for everyone's concern. I apologize if my poorness is disappointing to you but I don't think it's nice to claim I am mean for not being able to afford care for him. Found people that are able to make sure he is safe.
I appreciate everyone's concern though.
They will be out there until June 1st and are taking volunteers if anyone wants to chip in. It's at the dog pound.
page

Owingsville, KY

#25 May 29, 2011
blah wrote:
Good God....Using the holiday as an excuse for the suffering.
I know for a fact neither Ralph or Tony would turn anyone away in an emergency situation,current client or not.
Well they did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 min Cczar 168,030
Jody Gillespie 1 hr Booty boo 1
Meth dealers in Rowan county 3 hr Wisdom 22
Thank you President Obama (Sep '12) 5 hr Wisdom 556
The most useless President 5 hr Wisdom 792
who is the biggest stud at rchs this year 12 hr Winkey links 10
Does food stamp office help with paper work I r... 12 hr DEE 1

Morehead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morehead Mortgages