Haunted places in Rowan?

Haunted places in Rowan?

Posted in the Morehead Forum

Boo

Morehead, KY

#1 Jul 5, 2010
Morehead-Morehead State University-
A ghost of a former student named Penelope, is said to haunt Nunn Hall. Penelope is said to be seen late at night and in the early morning hours. She plays with lights and televisions, turning them on and off. The story of Penelope is that she was dating someone her parents did not approve of and she became pregnant by him. Unable to tell her parents about the pregnancy, she jumped from the ninth floor, falling to a tragic death.

Morehead - Morehead State University - Jesse Baird haunts the Baird Music Hall on the 3rd floor. People have seen the ghost and heard noises, and certain smells associated with Jesse have been observed.
Clack Mountain

Morehead, KY

#2 Jul 5, 2010
I seen pictures of people stopping just long enough on top of clack mountain where all the old rock formations are to have their pictures taken next to them. When we got home with the pictures EVERYBODY commented on all of the FACES etched into the stone, there were a zillion of them. Some speculate perhaps Indians carved them there thousands of years ago and over time weather might of eroded the faces severely, but you can still see them and it's really very creepy!

Its very difficult to find the exact road we were on, you can take DryCreek all the way to the top and turn right, and if your LUCKY you will hit the same road that takes you down to 519- that's the same road with the mysterious faces in the rock formations at the top of the mountain.
doop tee doop

Cleveland, GA

#3 Jul 5, 2010
Lockeegee Rock and Amburgey Rock. It is common knowledge that these were both very spiritual places for Native Americans, and supposedly these were both places where Native Americans sacrificed people. Many people claim to have seen spirits on these rocks and roaming the woods near these areas.
Mommacita

Mount Sterling, KY

#4 Jul 5, 2010
Lockeegee and Amburgey were indeed spiritual places for the Native Americans, but as a Shawnee/Cherokee, I can assure you, they did NOT sacrifice people.
doop tee doop

Olive Hill, KY

#5 Jul 5, 2010
Mommacita wrote:
Lockeegee and Amburgey were indeed spiritual places for the Native Americans, but as a Shawnee/Cherokee, I can assure you, they did NOT sacrifice people.
I can assure you that I don't believe in any of this "haunted" garbage. I've spent a lot of time around both places, night and day, and have never seen anything out of the ordinary. But if you don't think the Cherokee people had ritual sacrifices then maybe you should do a little more research on your ancestry. I also am Cherokee, my great great great grandfather was a chief (the Kanutaluhi, in Georgia). Cherokee people believed that ritual sacrifices of their captured enemies gave them the strengths of those enemies. People nowadays don't like to accept it, but at that time in history it was nothing out of the ordinary. It was just a part of life, or at least a part of their wars.
Person

Winder, GA

#6 Jul 5, 2010
There are no such thing as "spooks"... I have worked in graveyards several times,dug at night,passed out ....and if there was a place to see shit its there ..... nothing ...you ppl are superstisious
Mommacita

Mount Sterling, KY

#7 Jul 5, 2010
Eeek! That is awful! I never would have thought it. I was always taught that we were a peaceful farming tribe (at least the Shawnee side). I have some reading to do!
itsgreat

Dawsonville, GA

#8 Jul 5, 2010
ive always heard there r some weird things that go on around perigan i dont know never been there my self

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#9 Jul 5, 2010
I must admit, I knew some High School Prom students that went up to Clack Mountain to have their pictures taken with those large boulder rocks just behind them so they could have some interesting photos taking of them while dressed up before going to the prom.....

Well almost every picture they showed me had what really did appear to be small faces dug into the large rocks all around them. I showed one relative a picture and the first thing she said before I even asked her was :"I can see that face in the rock there" and she pointed right at the face that struck all of us as really freaky. I honestly suspect the Indians in the past had etched pictures on those boulders and over many years the weather has degraded most of what they had dug into the rocks. There are many places where one can make out two eyes, a nose and a mouth right on the sides of the large boulders.

OFF THREAD TOPIC (A Little):

Where I live at I have found many Arrow heads, of the small design called "Bird Tips" which were not used in hunting (They used much larger arrow heads in hunting for food/skins), history claims such bird-tip arrowheads were attended for shooting the "white-man" in their wars al around this area. I have a box of such broken Flint rock (not a natural element to this area), many are Skinners used for knives for Buffalo and Deer Skin. Most arrow heads found here are broken and I have only found a single perfect bird-tip arrow-head which was made of Grey flint, as opposed to the more popular red flint rock.

I have found one large perfectly preserved fossil of a Jellyfish which is extremely rare in such preserved form and almost priceless. The problem was I could not move the fossil as it was part of a very large boulder on private land- but if the owner had any idea how rare jelly fish fossils really are He might could be talked into digging it out. It's located in Carlisle near an Indian burial ground. I hope to be able to locate it again.

Back to Thread:
doop tee doop

Olive Hill, KY

#10 Jul 6, 2010
Mommacita wrote:
Eeek! That is awful! I never would have thought it. I was always taught that we were a peaceful farming tribe (at least the Shawnee side). I have some reading to do!
For the most part the Cherokee people, and most Native Americans have always been peaceful people. Most of their days were spent farming and hunting. But just like the modern white man, Cherokees were constantly involved in conflicts. The idea of ritual sacrifice seems absolutely barbaric (spelling?) by todays beliefs. But you have to keep in mind that the beliefs of the Cherokee 200 years ago were much different than today. They weren't any more violent than any other tribes. You and I should still be proud of our Cherokee heritage, even though we don't agree with everything they did.
Old Friend

Mount Sterling, KY

#11 Jul 6, 2010
If you go to the shadowlands . com, there is an index of haunted places organized by states and countries. There are quite a few from Morehead and the surrounding area listed. :)
Mommacita

Mount Sterling, KY

#12 Jul 6, 2010
doop tee doop wrote:
<quoted text>For the most part the Cherokee people, and most Native Americans have always been peaceful people. Most of their days were spent farming and hunting. But just like the modern white man, Cherokees were constantly involved in conflicts. The idea of ritual sacrifice seems absolutely barbaric (spelling?) by todays beliefs. But you have to keep in mind that the beliefs of the Cherokee 200 years ago were much different than today. They weren't any more violent than any other tribes. You and I should still be proud of our Cherokee heritage, even though we don't agree with everything they did.
I feel you- I am still proud, too! My great grandmother was a Shawnee from Ohio, and my great grandfather married her because he wanted a farmer wife. Apparently it doesn't run in the family, as my garden looks like crap :)
Cynthia

Georgetown, KY

#13 Apr 12, 2014
I am from Carlisle. Do you know the property owner's name?
Jammer007 wrote:
I must admit, I knew some High School Prom students that went up to Clack Mountain to have their pictures taken with those large boulder rocks just behind them so they could have some interesting photos taking of them while dressed up before going to the prom.....
Well almost every picture they showed me had what really did appear to be small faces dug into the large rocks all around them. I showed one relative a picture and the first thing she said before I even asked her was :"I can see that face in the rock there" and she pointed right at the face that struck all of us as really freaky. I honestly suspect the Indians in the past had etched pictures on those boulders and over many years the weather has degraded most of what they had dug into the rocks. There are many places where one can make out two eyes, a nose and a mouth right on the sides of the large boulders.
OFF THREAD TOPIC (A Little):
Where I live at I have found many Arrow heads, of the small design called "Bird Tips" which were not used in hunting (They used much larger arrow heads in hunting for food/skins), history claims such bird-tip arrowheads were attended for shooting the "white-man" in their wars al around this area. I have a box of such broken Flint rock (not a natural element to this area), many are Skinners used for knives for Buffalo and Deer Skin. Most arrow heads found here are broken and I have only found a single perfect bird-tip arrow-head which was made of Grey flint, as opposed to the more popular red flint rock.
I have found one large perfectly preserved fossil of a Jellyfish which is extremely rare in such preserved form and almost priceless. The problem was I could not move the fossil as it was part of a very large boulder on private land- but if the owner had any idea how rare jelly fish fossils really are He might could be talked into digging it out. It's located in Carlisle near an Indian burial ground. I hope to be able to locate it again.
Back to Thread:
Becky

Oliver Springs, TN

#14 Jun 14, 2014
itsgreat wrote:
ive always heard there r some weird things that go on around perigan i dont know never been there my self
Got married spent the day on Amburgy Rock and Perigon before the tunnel was taken...These were the years of '69 through 1973..always felt wonderful no bad vibes very very spiritual however..at Petition there were mescaline woods just beyond the bridge ties to the left..about 400 ft of tunnel vines. Gorgeous with flowers and birds in the sunlight..as the sun went down..it was entreating but very dark..of all my travels I'm a Kentucky.girl..this is the most beautiful..peaceful area in God's creation I have ever been we met at College there in 1969...This place is worth the search..Cave Run from Lockegee Rock is the Ocean with Mountains(climb up the roots in the center)Go early to both rocks leave when sun sets in front of you sitting on the rocks otherwise spend the night...stay fascinated...enjoy yourself!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 27 min Patriot 166,490
Srg 1 hr Baby mama 6
Why would Democrat voters want to be part of a ... 2 hr uncle joe 2
The Impeachment for 45 2 hr Wisdom 18
Dems drop collusion for racism, promotes victim... 2 hr uncle joe 34
Our school systems have truly become dumb 7 hr Wisdom 38
Construction work around campus 11 hr Good luck 1

Morehead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morehead Mortgages