assault rifle, is it still something ...
bremen usmc

United States

#82 Dec 22, 2012
It's not about the weapon, our fore fathers gave us the right to bare arms so there would be a balance of power between the people and the government! They wanted the people of the great nation that they foresaw to have a chance if they should ever be oppressed as they were! I served my country for years as a infantryman in the marines"0311" and I love this country, but we as a people should never give up our right to own any type of firearm for the simple reason that they foresaw, that we was a nation of free people shall be free and always have the power to stay that way! Every serviceman takes a oath to defend this nation against all enemies, foreign and Domestic! Everyone just ask yourself what if that day comes and you have already gave up that balance of power, what then!!!!
Al Capone

United States

#83 Dec 22, 2012
Wisdom wrote:
What is the role of the war simulation video games play in all of this? It is being revealed that he was into Call of Duty, and the basement has military based posters throughout. Now, if you have a social misfit as a child, or any individual with anger/aggression issues- should you really have weapons around, besides the one to defend yourself? And should you feed the fire with an emotionally distancing series of video games based on killing enemies?

The mother may have had all the weapons secured, and was killed either for the key, or to get the key...but the triggers thus far are her moves for conservatorship to have him committed, and theses video games. If the guns were properly stored, the larger issue is mental health and rapid identification and resolution to protect society against those who lash out.

Instead, Obama will use this as his opportunity ("not to be wasted") to push his agenda of gun control. Fast and Furious failed, but now he has the emotional forum to protect society by reducing our freedoms, by just a tad bit more. Until what point?
The kid NEVER even brought the "assault rifle" out he killed all those people with two pistols multiple clips and this thread shows ignorant people should get their facts straight before they say stupid shit!
WRONG

Palm City, FL

#84 Dec 23, 2012
Al Capone wrote:
<quoted text>
The kid NEVER even brought the "assault rifle" out he killed all those people with two pistols multiple clips and this thread shows ignorant people should get their facts straight before they say stupid shit!
You have made yourself look very foolish, not to mention ignorant. Please get your facts straight. This quote is taken from the news briefing by the medical examiner: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/medical-e...

"The veteran medical examiner told reporters that the victims had all been identified and their bodies released. In what appeared to be an uncomfortable moment for Carver, he said all of the victims he had examined had all been shot by a Bushmaster .223 caliber assault rifle, one of at least two weapons Adam Lanza, the 20-year-old suspected shooter, used to commit one of the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history."

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#85 Dec 23, 2012
bremen usmc wrote:
It's not about the weapon, our fore fathers gave us the right to bare arms so there would be a balance of power between the people and the government! They wanted the people of the great nation that they foresaw to have a chance if they should ever be oppressed as they were! I served my country for years as a infantryman in the marines"0311" and I love this country, but we as a people should never give up our right to own any type of firearm for the simple reason that they foresaw, that we was a nation of free people shall be free and always have the power to stay that way! Every serviceman takes a oath to defend this nation against all enemies, foreign and Domestic! Everyone just ask yourself what if that day comes and you have already gave up that balance of power, what then!!!!
you are correct in your ideals. That was the intention at the founding of this nation. Do you still believe that anything you have will be any defense against governmental oppression? You served in the military, you might fare better than someone that didn't but either way you are out gunned and out manned IF it ever came to that right? Please understand, I come from a long line of service men and mean no disrespect what so ever. I have heard your position from others and I only ask you to expound upon it and also consider that while the ideal in it's original sense is there understand in the present innocent people are dying of the "what ifs". The people should never give up the right to own any type of firearm? So you think it's ok for someone to have a stinger missile? How about a "dirty bomb"? A tank, is it ok for someone to own a tank?

I said it several times that I am not for banning guns but I'm also not for 'everyone' owning guns either. I don't think this woman should ever have had these weapons in the presence of this disturbed young man.
my two cents

Morehead, KY

#86 Dec 23, 2012
aka will wrote:
<quoted text>
you are correct in your ideals. That was the intention at the founding of this nation. Do you still believe that anything you have will be any defense against governmental oppression? You served in the military, you might fare better than someone that didn't but either way you are out gunned and out manned IF it ever came to that right? Please understand, I come from a long line of service men and mean no disrespect what so ever. I have heard your position from others and I only ask you to expound upon it and also consider that while the ideal in it's original sense is there understand in the present innocent people are dying of the "what ifs". The people should never give up the right to own any type of firearm? So you think it's ok for someone to have a stinger missile? How about a "dirty bomb"? A tank, is it ok for someone to own a tank?
I said it several times that I am not for banning guns but I'm also not for 'everyone' owning guns either. I don't think this woman should ever have had these weapons in the presence of this disturbed young man.
I don't think most Americans are for individuals owning tanks, missles, or other military grade weapons. However, I would not be afraid if they did. Most people are responsible individuals. You will always have a few that are not, whether it's a young man in Newtown Connecticut or Attorney General Eric Holder in Washington D.C. It all comes down to individual responsibility.
Wisdom

Jeffersonville, IN

#87 Dec 23, 2012
Given the greater decay of our government in our fiscal matters one can only conclude that we are bankrupt and that things will turn very ugly at some point. Thus, this level headed upper class individual was taking the appropriate steps to insure the survival of her family after this administration runs America into the abyss. She was arming herself against a potential greater threat, given her social status.

She was also, probably, arming herself against her son should he turn violent. Unfortunately, as an individual, you cannot remain vigilant 24/7. I do agree that most of her weapons should have been secured, keeping 1 nearby for her personal protection). That is where a more expedited court system is warranted in matters dealing with mental health/domestic violence. However, years ago, the liberal left stressed the rights of the mentally ill which gives them the opportunity ( or someone representing them) to slow down the system and delay incarceration until which time that a violent outbreak occurs. By then, we have an event as what we have had. Then hand writing individuals ask for greater protection.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Cranker

Bremen, KY

#88 Dec 23, 2012
Assault rifle is a strong term. You cannot buy a fully automatic rifle legally if youre a normal civilian. The reality is that most "assault" rifles are the exact same chambering as hunting rifles. You can take a .223 AR15 (which are semi automatic, not fully automatic) in camo with a 5rnd mag and no one says a word. However take that same weapon, but black with folding stock and it becomes an assault rifle? Ridiculous. You people realize that if that ban imposes they'll restrict ALL semi automatic weapons. It'll be nothing but single shots, bolt actions, and pumps. Want to buy a pistol? Hope you're fine with a single action revolver that you pull the hammer back prior to every shot.

There have been enough guns made that you could get your hands on whatever you wanted (semi auto) even after this ban. There's a reason this shit doesn't happen here in ky. Because there's too many guys like me with a gun in their truck that would've risked our life to stop that psycho from killing those babies. You don't find it strange that this hasn't happened in ky and we have some of the most laxed gun laws around? Guns don't kill people, people do. And if an armed assailant with a pre Obama ban semi auto breaks into your house, you're going to want more than an old .30-30 bolt action.
not cranky

Morehead, KY

#89 Dec 23, 2012
Cranker wrote:
Assault rifle is a strong term. You cannot buy a fully automatic rifle legally if youre a normal civilian. The reality is that most "assault" rifles are the exact same chambering as hunting rifles. You can take a .223 AR15 (which are semi automatic, not fully automatic) in camo with a 5rnd mag and no one says a word. However take that same weapon, but black with folding stock and it becomes an assault rifle? Ridiculous. You people realize that if that ban imposes they'll restrict ALL semi automatic weapons. It'll be nothing but single shots, bolt actions, and pumps. Want to buy a pistol? Hope you're fine with a single action revolver that you pull the hammer back prior to every shot.
There have been enough guns made that you could get your hands on whatever you wanted (semi auto) even after this ban. There's a reason this shit doesn't happen here in ky. Because there's too many guys like me with a gun in their truck that would've risked our life to stop that psycho from killing those babies. You don't find it strange that this hasn't happened in ky and we have some of the most laxed gun laws around? Guns don't kill people, people do. And if an armed assailant with a pre Obama ban semi auto breaks into your house, you're going to want more than an old .30-30 bolt action.
Have you forgotten about East Carter and Paducah school shootings?
olivia

Morehead, KY

#90 Dec 23, 2012
my thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>It's amazing how quickly people forget Waco, Ruby Ridge, etc. Blame the guns!!! When are people going to start taking responsibility for their actions? As long as the media "Remembers" the perpetrators instead of the victims, this type of violence will continue. Everybody remembers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, but how many people can name one single victim at Columbine?
Absolutely, right on. The people who follow the laws are the only ones that are going to be given more rules to follow. Anyone that is going to act out this kind of a crime isn't going to follow any laws they will get them off the street, black market. Why do we always make more cumbersome rules for the people who already follow the rules. Mostly though, the MEDIA is the problem. They give so much coverage to these absolute thugs, that I feel it will continue until the media stop naming the perpetrators. The media can cover the crimes without giving the perpetrators any credit.(as they see it.) Until then, this type of behavior will NEVER stop.
Cranker

Dunmor, KY

#91 Dec 23, 2012
not cranky wrote:
<quoted text>Have you forgotten about East Carter and Paducah school shootings?
Give me an incident in the last decade? Can't, sorry.

And FYI, Paducah the assailants had two .22s and a shot gun, east carter was a .38 revolver. No assault rifle, thread relevant on gun control about assault rifle?
Al Capone

United States

#92 Dec 23, 2012
WRONG wrote:
<quoted text>You have made yourself look very foolish, not to mention ignorant. Please get your facts straight. This quote is taken from the news briefing by the medical examiner: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/medical-e...

"The veteran medical examiner told reporters that the victims had all been identified and their bodies released. In what appeared to be an uncomfortable moment for Carver, he said all of the victims he had examined had all been shot by a Bushmaster .223 caliber assault rifle, one of at least two weapons Adam Lanza, the 20-year-old suspected shooter, used to commit one of the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history."
Naw hollow points could do the same damage!!!!! do you even know what your talking about about or are you one of those types that believe everything you read with a link! People like you are ignorant! Link this CT already had a ban on "assault rifles" BANNING THEM did the rifle belong to the kid???? No it belonged to his mother he wacked her and took it and then proceeded to do what he did DID BANNING THEM PREVENT THIS no not at all.....is that a solution not really! This thread has no point other than using this incident for more gun control it's my right to own one if I choose that was established by MY forefathers what part of GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE......PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE! don't you understand take em away all you want it'll never happen there's too many out there already this thread is absurd
WRONG

Palm City, FL

#93 Dec 24, 2012
Al Capone wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw hollow points could do the same damage!!!!! do you even know what your talking about about or are you one of those types that believe everything you read with a link! People like you are ignorant! Link this CT already had a ban on "assault rifles" BANNING THEM did the rifle belong to the kid???? No it belonged to his mother he wacked her and took it and then proceeded to do what he did DID BANNING THEM PREVENT THIS no not at all.....is that a solution not really! This thread has no point other than using this incident for more gun control it's my right to own one if I choose that was established by MY forefathers what part of GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE......PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE! don't you understand take em away all you want it'll never happen there's too many out there already this thread is absurd
Yes, actually I do know what I'm talking about. I learned to shoot and care for guns when I was 8, I own many guns and I'm not about to give them up. So your assumptions, as was the post that I originally responded to, are inaccurate. Your rabid and obnoxious response to the other poster is what I took issue with, not the issue of gun control. You stated that it was handguns used for this particular carnage when the facts revealed in the forensic coroner's statement proved otherwise. You, sir, need to get your facts straight before criticizing the statements of others and attempting to demean them.
Guns make us less safe

Hillsboro, KY

#94 Dec 24, 2012
Wisdom

Jeffersonville, IN

#95 Dec 24, 2012
So what about England, after all, we are trying to mimic their healthcare system...

In reality, the English approach has not re-duced violent crime.-> Instead it has left law-abiding citizens at the mercy of criminals who are confident that their victims have neither the means nor the legal right to resist them.->->Imitating this model would be a public safety disaster for the United States.

The illusion that the English government had protected its citizens by disarming them seemed credible because few realized the country had an astonishingly low level of armed crime even before guns were restricted.->-> A government study for the years 1890-92, for example,>> found only three handgun homicides, an average of one a year, in a population of 30 million. In 1904 there were only four armed robberies in London, then the largest city in the world. A hundred years and many gun laws later, the BBC reported that England's firearms restrictions "seem to have had little impact in the criminal underworld." Guns are virtually outlawed, and, as the old slogan predicted, only outlaws have guns. Worse, they are increasingly ready to use them.

Nearly five centuries of growing civility ended in 1954. Violent crime has been climbing ever since. Last December, London's Evening Standard reported that armed crime, with banned handguns the weapon of choice, was "rocketing."

**->-> In the two years following the 1997 handgun ban, the use of handguns in crime rose by 40 percent, and the upward trend has continued. From April to November 2001, the number of people robbed at gunpoint in London rose 53 percent.

Gun crime is just part of an increasingly lawless environment.->-> From 1991 to 1995, crimes against the person in England's inner cities increased 91 percent. And in the four years from 1997 to 2001, the rate of violent crime more than doubled.->-> Your chances of being mugged in London are now six times greater than in New York. England's rates of assault, robbery, and burglary are far higher than America's, and 53 percent of English burglaries occur while occupants are at home, compared with 13 percent in the U.S., where burglars admit to fearing armed homeowners more than the police.

->->In a United Nations study of crime in 18 developed nations published in July, England and Wales led the Western world's crime league, with nearly 55 crimes per 100 people.

This sea change in English crime followed a sea change in government policies. Gun regulations have been part of a more general disarmament based on the proposition that people don't need to protect themselves because society will protect them. It also will protect their neighbors:*** Police advise those who witness a crime to "walk on by" and let the professionals handle it.
Wisdom

Jeffersonville, IN

#96 Dec 24, 2012
" They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty, nor safety"
Ben Franklin
my two cents

Morehead, KY

#97 Dec 27, 2012
DISGUSTED wrote:
This, http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-attempts-... that right there is how you STOP SCHOOL SHOOTINGS DEAD IN ITS TRACKS! You allow people to be armed! I think teachers and administrator, even janitors should have their pay scale bumped up if they are willing to train with and carry a firearm with them at all times, especially schools.
That sounds good until.... http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story...
Gramp

Greenup, KY

#98 Dec 27, 2012
I would like to see the teachers and administrators at the school where my grand kids go have guns and know how to use them.Am sure all wouldn't want to carry weapons but think enough who know how and when they needed to be used would carry to help keep kids safer than without them.Hate that our country is coming to this but it has.I believe just knowing they would be up against arms would deter the idiots intending to go into a school for the purpose of shooting kids.
Wisdom

Jeffersonville, IN

#99 Dec 28, 2012
To accomplish this is not too much a stretch, in most high schools there is a "resource" officer- a policeman, who may be, or can be armed. Simply placing a police cruiser in front of a school may be a deterrent enough, as an outsider may not know whether there is an officer inside or not. Given the likelihood of a reoccurrence of the Connecticut event, this may be all the reasonable prevention that would be needed in an elementary/middle school in most cities.
sad

Nicholasville, KY

#100 Dec 28, 2012
aka will wrote:
I'm all for a person's right to bear arms. I believe we should have guns if we want but is everyone equal in that right? Should everyone be allowed to have weapons like an AR 15? Is the AR 15 the kind of weapon the forefathers had in mind when they formalized our right to bear arms?
I believe our forefathers intended for us to be armed at least equal if not better than our opposition.
sad

Nicholasville, KY

#101 Dec 28, 2012
I think the whole world is morally starved. If some parents spent more time teaching their children respect for life and each other instead of plopping them down in front of the TV so THEY wont have to be bothered by them they might not learn their values from an electronic machine.

Just a thought from someone that has raised 3 kids that are drug free and all working and productive citizens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chris carroll 1 hr a neighbor 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr old man 172,932
Liberal left lunacy 2 hr Wisdom 1
"Wisdom" still unsaved... 6 hr Wisdom 2
Making America Great Again! 6 hr Wisdom 207
Whizzy and 45 16 hr Wisdom 11
moving to Morehead? 16 hr Wisdom 2

Morehead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morehead Mortgages