GM to close four plants

GM to close four plants

There are 156 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jun 3, 2008, titled GM to close four plants. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

General Motors is closing four truck and SUV plants in the U.S., Canada and Mexico as surging fuel prices is hastening a dramatic shift to smaller vehicles.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Laughing

Belle Vernon, PA

#153 Nov 10, 2008
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
And you Steve, how do you plan on getting to your job if it wasn't for GM? And it's wonderful workers out there huh? You must be a teacher or professor cause you sure aint ever got your hands greasy!
How would steve get to his job??/ he'd buy ford!
Laughing

Belle Vernon, PA

#154 Nov 10, 2008
Voice of Reason wrote:
I got an idea. Lets give the autoworkers a 10% increase in pay and raise the price of vehicles 20% so the CEO's can still get their multi million dollar bonuses. Today a Chevy Cobalt is 13K tomorrow 16K. Go GM!!! Go UAW!!! Unions are the greatest!!! How can I make more money for doing less work??? UAW has perfected it!!!
friggin right. these people think that the uaw is their meal ticket...that the uaw gave them their job...that the uaw is their job security...where is the union at for you now? bailing on you because they used you for what they wanted...to bilk your company and you out of millions of dollars so that they can line their coffers with their hard earned money. good luck living like the rest of america...having to actually work for a paycheck and a living

“Disgruntled ”

Since: Apr 08

Wyoming MI

#156 Nov 10, 2008
Laughing wrote:
<quoted text>friggin right. these people think that the uaw is their meal ticket...that the uaw gave them their job...that the uaw is their job security...where is the union at for you now? bailing on you because they used you for what they wanted...to bilk your company and you out of millions of dollars so that they can line their coffers with their hard earned money. good luck living like the rest of america...having to actually work for a paycheck and a living
Yeah yuck it up big boy, In case you haven't heard the unions spent billions getting Obama elected, he and his minions are going to do all they can to support and build the unions in this country. If you are not in a union paying dues now you will be in the next eight years.
Laughing

Belle Vernon, PA

#157 Nov 10, 2008
turdface wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah yuck it up big boy, In case you haven't heard the unions spent billions getting Obama elected, he and his minions are going to do all they can to support and build the unions in this country. If you are not in a union paying dues now you will be in the next eight years.
well shitface, i'm not going to yuck it up. for the record, union membership peaked in the 1970's, and has been on a steady decline since. Why is that? because of many factors, but several of the main factors are: better management and enforcement of labor laws, better management period, actually treating employees of companies as human beings, management putting in place and enforcing better working conditions, the media....i can go on and on. the time and place for unions in this country has passed. unions don't run companies, people run companies, and if you treat your people right, you don't need a union. the big three did not treat their people right in the beginning, and therefore the union was needed to represent the people busting balls in their factories. then you guys got greedy, the companies lost their balls, and are now in the pickle that they are in. alot of people in my family used to be in the union environment, and most of them have seen the light of day as they now do not have a pension, the union is taking their benefits, and so on...in reality you have been working to pay dues to another company that is seeing it's bankroll decline, and is going to do whatever is in it's power to stay afloat...mark my words, you guys are gonna get hosed by the unions too!! glad you have that many holes to screw? take some initiative for yourself instead of relying on everyone else to do it for you. you probably haven't banked any of that 30 bucks an hour that you've made, nor have you used any of that cash to better yourself by going to school have you?
Laughing

Belle Vernon, PA

#158 Nov 10, 2008
and the billions spent on getting obama elected??? that's your hard earned dues paid to the union...you ask about company accountability, but have you ever asked for an audit of the uaw or iue?

Union All The Way

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

#159 Nov 10, 2008
turdface wrote:
<quoted text>
unions spent billions getting Obama elected,
LMBO on that one turdface. Were you standing on your head when you thought this one up??
If you are not in a union paying dues now you will be in the next eight years.
LOLOLOL
Karen

Montague, MI

#160 Nov 10, 2008
Rob wrote:
I think that going on strike to get job security is the way to go here. It has worked before
Striking doesn't mean they have to stay in business. They owe you nothing. Besides, the stike fund pay isn't going to make you rich.
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#161 Nov 12, 2008
OBAMA or McCAIN....WE MUST SAVE Our beloved ...GENERAL MOTORS,toooooooooooooo booooooooot!!!!.....WAKE-UP... ..eh.

“Disgruntled ”

Wyoming MI

#162 Nov 13, 2008
Union All The Way wrote:
<quoted text>
LMBO on that one turdface. Were you standing on your head when you thought this one up??
LOLOLOL
yeah billions is kinda a stretch, closer to millions if you count all the advertising (t-shirts, hats, tv ads,and I'm not counting just the UAW either).
But for Laughing and Tom in Caledonia, I still say that management (yeah all them smarty pants college grads in upper management) is responsible for planning organizing directing and controlling a company not the little guy on the line. Forcasting market trends is not voodoo. Slashing wages won't lower the price of a car or improve quality, it'll just mean more money for stock holders and management bonuses.
And no I am not a member of the UAW and haven't worked in manufacturing for over 35 years.
Wei

Chengdu, China

#163 Nov 13, 2008
GM, the pride of the United States, the most mismanaged company in the world!
dHat Pawlo

Calgary, Canada

#164 Nov 13, 2008
Wei wrote:
YHA...LIKE...MILLIONS of the Worlds' CHILDREN...DIE...from you'r homemade-poisened Products.....eat egg in you's face,toooooo boooot!!!.....eh...
dHat Pawlo

Calgary, Canada

#165 Nov 13, 2008
Wei wrote:
IS IT TRUE .....that tokyo rose,communist china and sly india...want the total-destruction,of OUR-Beloved North American Auto/Truck Industry?????????.WAKE-UP..... eh.....

Since: Mar 07

AOL

#166 Nov 13, 2008
Union All The Way wrote:
<quoted text>
LOLOLOL
you can't use union dues for politics its against the law. thats why the teamsters have the drive fund. that money is for campaigning etc.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#167 Nov 13, 2008
German diesels SUPERIOR wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh YES they can, and you're GOING TO. It's called a STATION WAGON.
You know, the car that Germans now supply because the US has fallen out of love with them since the 60's vacations.
They stopped calling them station wagons but they still make them. If you take a close look at the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx and the Dodge Caliber, you will see that although they do not call them station wagons, that is what they are.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#168 Nov 13, 2008
Gwinnie wrote:
Yeah last I checked station wagon's didn't have 4x4. AWD maybe but even then that isn't necessarily enough sometimes. Nice try though. And no I'm not "going to" drive one.
<quoted text>
Jeep Cherokee, a 4x4 station wagon which they call an SUV. Subaru also makes a 4x4 wagon.
HakunaMatata

Greenville, SC

#169 Dec 1, 2008
I see you all are quiet now that reality has set in. I don't like to see people lose their jobs, but you all had it coming. No reason you should get paid the money you do to read books and steal movies at work...welcome to the real world!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moraine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cousin 4 hr Family 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Big city 20,609
Baby bump on gabrielle enright 15 hr The Duke of Hazard 2
To raise Abortion Nut awareness... Fri Literature Lover 1
Cop thinks... Fri Fan of Leon The Man 3
Oakwood Swimmer Brock Turner (May '15) Fri I h8 rapists 11
$$$Ice game most wanted crook'd crook's$$$ Fri Jynxz 1

Moraine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moraine Mortgages