Documentary sheds light on human side...

Documentary sheds light on human side of GM plant closing in Mo...

There are 50 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Sep 7, 2009, titled Documentary sheds light on human side of GM plant closing in Mo.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Given that almost 1,100 autoworkers in Moraine were about to lose their jobs, it's hard to believe that The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant began in comparatively innocent times.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Freado

Sylvania, OH

#1 Sep 7, 2009
holy crap, so your telling me that this economy is affecting white people too?!!!!
oh brother

Columbus, OH

#3 Sep 7, 2009
American steelworkers, auto workers, newspapers... Let's see what other industries unions can ruin. They're doing a fine job with education.
Wu-Wei Worley

Chillicothe, OH

#4 Sep 7, 2009
Slavery is illegal here but it is still the ideal workforce model for a business manager. This is a problem of ethics which do not exist in American corporate structures.

Because of this lack of ethics, the United States no longer exists as it was envisioned, a nation of personal freedom. It has become a nation of usury with an oligarchal hegemony governed by plutocrats who are nothing but self-serving thieves.

WASP managers are the worst of the lot with utter conviction of their own importance and superiority. As a white New Englander whose family dates back to 1621 on this continent, and a retired business owner, I have deep shame for what leadership has become in America.

Business managers and leaders are the scourge and scum of the earth in today's America. They are traitors to the nation, its people and its ideals. They have corrupted our political system, impoverished our people and created a set of principles that are nothing short of criminal and foul in nature.

American business leaders have become gluttonous, bullying pigs.

Posted by: 1623yankee at September 7, 2009 9
John Galt

Galloway, OH

#5 Sep 7, 2009
oh brother wrote:
American steelworkers, auto workers, newspapers... Let's see what other industries unions can ruin. They're doing a fine job with education.
Spot on!
Gary

Columbus, OH

#6 Sep 7, 2009
If it weren't for the unions,companies would have never paid a fair wage for services.Big business is what has brought us too this point in our economy.Who pulls the politicians strings with their lobbyists and campaign contributions,who is moving jobs overseas in order to pay lower wages to workers?Now that big business has taken all the manufacturing jobs out of America,there former & current employees can't afford to buy the products.Gotta' agree w/Mr.Worley,business leaders lack of ethics and morals
Jon

United States

#7 Sep 7, 2009
Yep ... The middle class is gone too . At one time , we all had good health insurance and a piece of the apple pie + were driving chevrolets . Today , Oil prices are destroying the labor force faster than Corporate America's millionaires are becoming billionaires . From 2001 thru 2008 the rich have gotten richer faster than anytime in the history of our civilization . In fact , the worlds wealth doubled in that period which at one time took thousands of years . However , not all are enjoying this tremendous period of wealth . Who knows what the future holds for most ?
Grouchyoldman

Lucasville, OH

#8 Sep 7, 2009
I used to live in Kentucky and I would frequently take visitors to two places to show them the dramatic difference in US/Japanese, union/union free manufacturing. I would take them one day to Bowling Green to see Corvettes being made and the next day to Georgetown to see Camrys, Avalons, etc being made. I didn't even have to narrate. The inefficiencies at Chevy were so obvious a fifth grader could see it. Not only that but the Corvette plant was filthy. Yes management is to blame too for letting the unions manhandle them in good times, thinking that the buyers would pay anything for their cars.
Hannitys Shrunken Head

Royersford, PA

#9 Sep 7, 2009
Ah, the retarded union bashers! What would a day be like without you sycophantic cinderblock-heads chiming in about how unions have ruined the country? Yet, never a peep about out-of-control American executive compensation, regardless of how poorly the company does. Never a word about the billions paid by them to lobbyists to influence laws, "overhead" that is tacked on to their goods and services. Never a mention of the corruption and cheating by the boards and the company leadership, resulting in fines and lawsuits, such as the $2 billion and some change judgment against Pfizer for fraud against consumers. Instead, you lapdogs for the crooks and their pundits -- fathead Limbaugh, lightbulbhead O'Reilly, Pillsbury doughboyhead Beck, and microcephalichead Hannity -- bootlick about how the big, bad unions have been so mean to them. Boohoo! How's it fel to be a tool for the wealthy? The true joke is what do you make --$40K a year?
oh brother

Columbus, OH

#10 Sep 7, 2009
Fact: Average auto worker making American cars makes $75 per hour.
Average hourly wage for foreign auto workers in America:$46 per hour.
Who's selling more cars with higher customer satisfaction? Here's a hint: It ain't GM, Ford or Chrysler.
Fact: Detroit, Cleveland, Sandusky, Toledo, etc. already have the infrastructure to build cars. Why then would foreign-car makers build brand-new plants in Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia and most recently Indiana? Harder to unionize in those states.
Call me names all you want. Irresponsibility and fat-cat union wages and pension plans have decimated all the big manufacturing cities. They don't call it the rust belt for nothing.
Hannitys Shrunken Head

Royersford, PA

#11 Sep 7, 2009
Fact: "In fact, in recent years, U.S. CEOs have made vastly more than what their counterparts make in other nations. For example, in 2005, a typical Japanese executive made 11 times what a typical Japanese worker earned. In the U.S., the average CEO pulled down a staggering 475 times what the typical American worker earned."
Fact: "Ford Motor Co. reported $5.45 billion loss in 2001. Workers were laid
off, and salaries for nearly everyone left suffered. Even though former Ford CEO Jacques Nasser was fired, he still received about $20 million in compensation for the year.
Fact: "Investors were outraged when E Trade Group Inc. disclosed it had paid out a $77 million compensation package for CEO Christos M. Cotsakos in 2001- a year in which the financial-services company lost $242 million."
Fact: "On average, chief executives at Japanese companies with more than $10 billion in annual revenues are paid about $1.3 million a year, including bonuses and stock-option grants, according to Towers Perrin, a consulting firm, based on data gathered between 2004 and 2006. But chiefs in the U.S. are paid about $12 million, and chiefs in Europe are paid $6 million."

Here's a name for you: Jackass. If you support the wealthy raping the system while condemning the workers for wanting a decent living -- when there's plenty of money to go around if the people in charge aren't so greedy -- that's what you are. Check the facts before you start bashing the people who really work, who really made this great country great.
karon

AOL

#12 Sep 7, 2009
It is time for passenger trains in this country! We can make those trains in OHIO!
fred

Columbus, OH

#13 Sep 7, 2009
in times like these...its time to go make me a sandwhich
dave

Groveport, OH

#14 Sep 7, 2009
Hannitys Shrunken Head wrote:
Ah, the retarded union bashers! What would a day be like without you sycophantic cinderblock-heads chiming in about how unions have ruined the country? Yet, never a peep about out-of-control American executive compensation, regardless of how poorly the company does. Never a word about the billions paid by them to lobbyists to influence laws, "overhead" that is tacked on to their goods and services. Never a mention of the corruption and cheating by the boards and the company leadership, resulting in fines and lawsuits, such as the $2 billion and some change judgment against Pfizer for fraud against consumers. Instead, you lapdogs for the crooks and their pundits -- fathead Limbaugh, lightbulbhead O'Reilly, Pillsbury doughboyhead Beck, and microcephalichead Hannity -- bootlick about how the big, bad unions have been so mean to them. Boohoo! How's it fel to be a tool for the wealthy? The true joke is what do you make --$40K a year?
Right on Brother !! Workers Unite !!!
Jeff

Columbus, OH

#15 Sep 7, 2009
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Spot on!
For those who may have missed point of Mr. Galt's post, John Galt is a fictional person in the novel "Atlas Shrugged." This novel predicts a lot of this trouble.

The novel asks the questoion "Where is John Galt?"

Now I know from this post, he is in Sunbury, Ohio. Who knew?
Ohio Man in USA

United States

#16 Sep 8, 2009
I remebered that I was born in Dayton, Ohio & grew up many yrs till I saw internet news by Whio tv 7 news about G M Plants closed on Dec 23, 2008 , I shocked about it .. One time I visited there for tour there of S - 10 truck assembly there in 1980 or 1981 ,, I know that my brother worked ist job at ice box of freiage before closed , then changed new suite of S- 10 truck assemlby plant same place in Moraine , ohio till he got retired between 2003-2006 , Few yrs ago of 2008 or 2009 that I saw internet news of Dayton Daily News ( newspaper ) & Whio tv 7 news report that New create soon of Maintence dept for train passenger for high speed railroad soon or new create new windmill for save enrgery company in Former of G M plants in Moraine,, I know that high rate of unempleyment of Mongotery County in Ohio ( Dayton, Ohio - U S A 45400 by now ,, I hope it will be reduce unemploeyment down after any job would be making create other new different job place soon , I pray for them need new job soon of the future ,,, Thank You by Bill
the truth

Lindsay, OK

#18 Sep 8, 2009
Wu-Wei Worley wrote:
Slavery is illegal here but it is still the ideal workforce model for a business manager. This is a problem of ethics which do not exist in American corporate structures.
Because of this lack of ethics, the United States no longer exists as it was envisioned, a nation of personal freedom. It has become a nation of usury with an oligarchal hegemony governed by plutocrats who are nothing but self-serving thieves.
WASP managers are the worst of the lot with utter conviction of their own importance and superiority. As a white New Englander whose family dates back to 1621 on this continent, and a retired business owner, I have deep shame for what leadership has become in America.
Business managers and leaders are the scourge and scum of the earth in today's America. They are traitors to the nation, its people and its ideals. They have corrupted our political system, impoverished our people and created a set of principles that are nothing short of criminal and foul in nature.
American business leaders have become gluttonous, bullying pigs.
Posted by: 1623yankee at September 7, 2009 9
Well said by a comuinst ACORN plant. Obama and the unions are your plantation masters. They think they will put chainson everyone but this will never happen.

yo master is a calling yo Obama wants yo to protest again.
the truth

Lindsay, OK

#19 Sep 8, 2009
Fact: "In fact, in recent years, U.S. CEOs have made vastly more than what their counterparts make in other nations. For example, in 2005, a typical Japanese executive made 11 times what a typical Japanese worker earned. In the U.S., the average CEO pulled down a staggering 475 times what the typical American worker earned."
Fact: "Ford Motor Co. reported $5.45 billion loss in 2001. Workers were laid
off, and salaries for nearly everyone left suffered. Even though former Ford CEO Jacques Nasser was fired, he still received about $20 million in compensation for the year.
Fact: "Investors were outraged when E Trade Group Inc. disclosed it had paid out a $77 million compensation package for CEO Christos M. Cotsakos in 2001- a year in which the financial-services company lost $242 million."
Fact: "On average, chief executives at Japanese companies with more than $10 billion in annual revenues are paid about $1.3 million a year, including bonuses and stock-option grants, according to Towers Perrin, a consulting firm, based on data gathered between 2004 and 2006. But chiefs in the U.S. are paid about $12 million, and chiefs in Europe are paid $6 million."
Here's a name for you: Jackass. If you support the wealthy raping the system while condemning the workers for wanting a decent living -- when there's plenty of money to go around if the people in charge aren't so greedy -- that's what you are. Check the facts before you start bashing the people who really work, who really made this great country great.
Oh so you want the chosen one with ties to every terrorist in the USA that has taken oaths to serve and protect when they in their own words want to bring down the USA. The USSR coals of 1963 in the congress record by Fl Congressman Herlog.

You and your union brown shirt brothers know little and are brainwashed. Your unions take your money and give it to the DNC. Yet when you get a polling place to vote you may not like the person who wines or vote for them yet you put them there by letting the unions think and take your money,

One thing they are right about on the left you yoyos are not smart enough to think for your selves and so you take orders from the ACRON, Apollo, and Tides, and yes the chosen one, chosen not by your vote but by your masters.

You use one or two examples to make the free market system sound bad in your communist rants when you project of your self. You may not know what this means so for you and the others from Rio Linda I will tell you. It means what you, do you say others are the ones doing it. You learned something today.

You on the left want to force everyone with card check just like healthcare by taking choice away. This is not (choice) that you jump from one side to the other. In 2010 you can see the end of the DNC and the unions as a whole. Americans not you communist will bring the down fall of your acts of treason.

Now what about the beatings and murders unions have been doing for many years, intimidation, not allowing people to work if they do not do what your tell them to do. You can talk all you want about some bad businessman so I will talk about YOU. Your hero’s are Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini and Pol Pot. And maybe we can meet sometime at a town hall but you better bring more of your brown shirts as you will need them.

And now the unions have been given a payoff of two of the three big 3 auto industries we the people will let them fail in 2010. Obama the chosen one will not be able to save you. It is free marker and small business without government and unions that bring jobs and you are going to be needing one if you are not in a cell in gitmo from treason.
the truth

Lindsay, OK

#20 Sep 8, 2009
Oh so you want the chosen one with ties to every terrorist in the USA that has taken oaths to serve and protect when they in their own words want to bring down the USA. The USSR coals of 1963 in the congress record by Fl Congressman Herlog.

You and your union brown shirt brothers know little and are brainwashed. Your unions take your money and give it to the DNC. Yet when you get a polling place to vote you may not like the person who wines or vote for them yet you put them there by letting the unions think and take your money,

One thing they are right about on the left you yoyos are not smart enough to think for your selves and so you take orders from the ACRON, Apollo, and Tides, and yes the chosen one, chosen not by your vote but by your masters.

You use one or two examples to make the free market system sound bad in your communist rants when you project of your self. You may not know what this means so for you and the others from Rio Linda I will tell you. It means what you, do you say others are the ones doing it. You learned something today.

You on the left want to force everyone with card check just like healthcare by taking choice away. This is not (choice) that you jump from one side to the other. In 2010 you can see the end of the DNC and the unions as a whole. Americans not you communist will bring the down fall of your acts of treason.

Now what about the beatings and murders unions have been doing for many years, intimidation, not allowing people to work if they do not do what your tell them to do. You can talk all you want about some bad businessman so I will talk about YOU. Your hero’s are Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini and Pol Pot. And maybe we can meet sometime at a town hall but you better bring more of your brown shirts as you will need them.

And now the unions have been given a payoff of two of the three big 3 auto industries we the people will let them fail in 2010. Obama the chosen one will not be able to save you. It is free marker and small business without government and unions that bring jobs and you are going to be needing one if you are not in a cell in gitmo from treason.
Hannitys Shrunken Head

Broomall, PA

#21 Sep 8, 2009
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Take your medication, fruit cup, no one's out to get you. If you have a job, check with the company's EAP to see if you can get some help -- or is that too socialist for you?
the truth

Lindsay, OK

#22 Sep 8, 2009
<quoted text>Take your medication, fruit cup, no one's out to get you. If you have a job, check with the company's EAP to see if you can get some help -- or is that too socialist for you?
Seeing you hate the person the suceeds which is why someone in you past maybe a grandfather understood was right. He must likly lived under the brown shirts like Stalin, Hitler or some other dictator like Obama. At least someone in you blood line was not a nut job like you.

Anyone with a mind or a bussiness person would never hire you. You think everyone else has to give to you will you play X box.

No more unions we will crush you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moraine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why will we still vote for Trump? 37 min Net Nut 3
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Earl 20,642
Do you have to pound and peck on the keys? Thu The Old Cold Warrior 3
Leon is the hack checker Thu Fan of Leon The Man 2
New film in Dayton Thu Fan of Leon The Man 4
oink oink Thu Vote Trump 4
"Protesters perform and pester" Thu Leon Harrison 1

Moraine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moraine Mortgages