Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,266

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
boosters

Springboro, OH

#24090 Apr 11, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not gloat too much over the fact that you allowed your organization to be looted.
Well, you must be one of the ones then that said the police and others were sweeping everything under the rug and then when you turn out to be wrong....nothing...crickets... ..typical. It really is ok to admit you are wrong sometimes. Everyone is...well except for Just Watching. He/she is never wrong.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24091 Apr 11, 2013
boosters wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you must be one of the ones then that said the police and others were sweeping everything under the rug and then when you turn out to be wrong....nothing...crickets... ..typical. It really is ok to admit you are wrong sometimes. Everyone is...well except for Just Watching. He/she is never wrong.
We will see what comes of this, sometimes we need to be vigilant or things do get swept away.

Perhaps now we shall discover the truth and how best to prevent this sort of looting from occurring in the future.

You had best thank Mr Petroni and Mr Rigano if you are passing around atta boys. They were the ones who began looking into the funding and asking for more information. Had they not pressed forward, in spite of the the ferocious push back from certain booster members, the looting would in all likelihood be continuing today.

In the end, the BOE policy of transparency works to the betterment of our children.
boosters

Springboro, OH

#24092 Apr 11, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
We will see what comes of this, sometimes we need to be vigilant or things do get swept away.
Perhaps now we shall discover the truth and how best to prevent this sort of looting from occurring in the future.
You had best thank Mr Petroni and Mr Rigano if you are passing around atta boys. They were the ones who began looking into the funding and asking for more information. Had they not pressed forward, in spite of the the ferocious push back from certain booster members, the looting would in all likelihood be continuing today.
In the end, the BOE policy of transparency works to the betterment of our children.
Being vigilant is accusing people of sweeping things under the rug? That's interesting. When you admit you were wrong about the "conspiracy", I would be more than happy to thank Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano for asking others to be transparent when they are not. But knowing your track record on here, I don't believe I will be saying thank you anytime soon.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24093 Apr 11, 2013
In response to Mr. David Bowman union blog, section 2

I believe #2 is in the contract in case the taxpayers decline to fund the new contract with enough money.

The alternative is reducing expenses, staff, resources, etc to meet revenue.

That reduction won't be too bad if you have seniority, it is the younger teachers who need be concerned and will pay the price. Unfortunately, the young teachers are the very ones we need for the future, those with advanced seniority will be retiring in the not too distant future regardless.

Personally signing off and guaranteeing the contract does not mean the taxpayers will also sign off on its funding.

Given today's economic climate are we to believe a $9.2 million dollar renewal levy and another one for (how much much more money does the union want?) x number of dollars will pass?

If we go into Fiscal Watch because we spent too much money we did not have, the state will enforce the above.

Isn't it smarter too stay within your means rather than incur the joys of state control?

The ones who will pay the price first and foremost will be the youngest, the children, followed closely by the newest teachers, and the support staff, from bus drivers to custodians.
interesting info

Springboro, OH

#24094 Apr 11, 2013
Let Freedom Ring wrote:
Ultimately it has been America's political leadership that has underminded the values of our great nation, as politicians are more and more than willing to promise that government can solve all our problems.
When the government took responsibility for schools, some parents lost control of their children's education.
When the government took responsbility for the poor, voluntary charity from churches and community groups declined.
When government took responsibility for retirement security, many Americans quit saving.
When government and employers took responsibility for health insurance, individuals became dependent on others for their health care.
Now the traditional values of personal responsibility, hard work, frugality and saving, independence, family, and faith give way to government promises of more security, more income, more health care, more education... more!more! more!
Today, too many Americans look to the federal government to solve all problems for all people; and today, too many Americans have become gullible clients of politicians..... promising to solve every need.
What we hear every day is that they will save us money and do a better job. Please see the facts. When has govt ever taken over anything and done it better for less? Please someone help me here?

Prove me wrong.
Just get the facts

Springboro, OH

#24095 Apr 11, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Really???? So the fact that the teachers willingly sacrificed five years of raises and three years of step increases has nothing to do with the district having more money??? The BOE has done everything they can to be financially responsible but on the backs of who - the teachers and students! Of course they are going to show more money on the books, their solution, remove all higher paid teachers and keep all other salaries the same - for an indefinite period of time. Oh and if healthcare should go up - teachers should pay for that too, reducing their salaries even more.
As for the children first philosophy: How is wanting to remove educational after school clubs (Club Med, JCOWA, Mentor, etc.) good for the students? How is giving incentives for good teachers to retire early good for the students? How is having a complete turnover of the administrative staff good for the students? Ask a student if they feel like the board is behind them 100%(not that anyone on this site really cares about the kids).
And as for the test scores, just curious, if Springboro is doing such a bad job lately, how come the ACT scores have gone up in every subject and the number of students taking the test has gone up almost 20% since 2007?
This should say "really stupid and really wrong".

Look at the facts, the kids are getting what they have always had and more your own comments prove that. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

The district employees are getting more than what they had before. You are forgetting the step raises for 3 of those 5 years, education raises and the merit raises that actually match what the community has seen in raises so to imply that that was a sacrifice means that you can say that for our community members as they have "sacrificed" to pay their ever increasing property taxes while Sacrificing their raises also. If this sacrifice deserves enormous raises than we need to reduce property taxes by that amount to give our generous community and our sacrificing community members a raise for their sacrifice.

Maybe you should ask the treasurer what % of the Personnel budget increases have been for raises the last 5 years.

Mr. B. your rhetoric, is such a bunch of nonsense. Pay increases and benefits should match what the community they serve is seeing and not more. So lets see those #'s and maybe we can talk.
Stop the War of Words

Piqua, OH

#24096 Apr 11, 2013
boosters wrote:
<quoted text>
Being vigilant is accusing people of sweeping things under the rug? That's interesting. When you admit you were wrong about the "conspiracy", I would be more than happy to thank Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano for asking others to be transparent when they are not. But knowing your track record on here, I don't believe I will be saying thank you anytime soon.
This politics of personal destruction launched against reform-minded board members is nothing more than OEA/SEA union activists' severely misguided strategy "to distract school district voters from the board's achievements by distorting their record of success."

No thanks to the "boosters" for joining the union activists in this war of words, spreading lies throughout the community about good Springboro citizens, who are willing and capable to serve as elected officials on the Board of Education.

Special Thanks to Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano for standing firm, doing what's right for our school children and our community.
Rarely do we see elected officials get to work for the people after they get elected, doing for the people what they said they would do. But, the record speaks for itself, and that's just the kind of honest civic- minded community leaders that we have in the leadership of Springboro Board of Education representatives, Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano. Thank You!
Just get the facts

Springboro, OH

#24097 Apr 11, 2013
walk a mile wrote:
<quoted text>
Always the "what if" arguments.......your what if arguments do not fit the REALITY of the situation. Mr Petroni currently has school aged kids and he chooses to not send them to the orgnization that he is in charge of.
And you are correct - someone that chooses, or chose to send their kids to a parochial school should not have a say in the community schools - from an elected Board perspective. And I say that having gone to parochial schools all my life. I would not feel it would be right to run for school board because I never had any direct dealing with the schools or had any prior expertise. Can I get up in Board meetings and voice my opinion. You bet. Can I vote for school issues - you bet. Again, the example of a CEO who is the head of a company that chooses to NOT use the products of the company that he/she heads? I am trying to put it in a business perspective for you - I think you are big on thinking the schools are a business, right?
And I always find it facinating that people love to provide stats and examples on how things are wrong with everything, but no one ever offers solutions on how to fix things. So, how would you solve the problem of the 2000+ kids you claim are being left behind? Its funny you site state statistics for everything, yet that is the same state educational system and standards that you would like to abolish or change, isn't it?
WOW you are living in a different world than any taxpayer. When people say you have to have skin in the game what that means is your money and everyone that lives in this country has skin in the game. Until we stop using Federal monies and State money and local money and just charge tuition for the full cost of education public education will never be and should never be allowed to have board members that only parents. You see a private school is aloud to have board members that they choose and are not elected for this reason.

As to solutions, elect people that hold education accountable, OH we did that, thank you for pointing this out. Good for us!
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24098 Apr 11, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
How exactly is Petroni volunteering his time??? Every board member gets paid for each meeting they attend and since they have created so many extra committees they get even more money than before. How much did they get paid last year? How many meetings did they attend? Since we are such a transparent district let's show the total paid to the board?
Untold people in this community volunteer time over and above what is required of them. Mr. Petroni is no different in that regard. BOE members receive $125 per board meeting, I don't believe they receive anything for the committee work, but don't quote that until you receive verification.

The typical board meeting runs 5 hours, so they get $25 an hour plus I think they get the 14% paid by the taxpayer retirement fund contribution.(Though I have my doubts whether or not any of them ever collect a dime).

Untold hours of research and preparation go into a board meeting if the member is to come prepared. Some members do not bother and just show up for the meeting solely dependent on others to present the facts and figures correctly. Without a certain degree of due diligence on the part of the board members, who can testify to the veracity of the facts or figures being presented.

If our teachers take home hours of work each night, then they know full well what Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano do each evening for a fraction of the money.

If you make a public records request they could dig up that information fairly quickly.
check it out

Springboro, OH

#24099 Apr 11, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
From Mr. David Bowman's latest blog for the union
"Do we have a powerful, bullying union that is making insane demands on the public? I donít think so. Judging by the simple fact that the teachers have had their pay frozen for years, itís pretty easy to discern that unreasonable union demands are not a problem that needs to be addressed in our community."
Pay frozen for years?
Laughable.
Check out the associated link and tell me how many teachers have not seen their pay rise over the past 4 years.
http://www.springboro.org/userfiles/6/Staff%2...
330 teachers, can you tell me how many have not had a raise for years?
Add to this amount the 14% of every dollar that the taxpayers fund for their retirement.
No raises? Not hardly.
Payroll
Go to the Transparency Project now available on the www.springboro.org web site. these questions can be answered.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24100 Apr 11, 2013
boosters wrote:
<quoted text>
That is because you have no manners.
check it out

Springboro, OH

#24101 Apr 11, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
From Mr. David Bowman's latest blog for the union
"9. Thanks for Nothing Ė Section 9.01 paragraph e removes seniority as a consideration for filling vacant positions in the district. This means that teachers who have faithfully served the district for years could be bypassed for cheaper, less qualified teachers. Seniority should not be the only consideration, but experience is important to any job. Apparently the board sees educating our children as somehow different Ė a unique job where experience in the field, relationships with the community, and accumulated tribal knowledge are all meaningless.
10. Iím Sorry, I Know You How? Not to be outdone by paragraph e, Section 9.01 paragraph f removes language that seeks to keep our existing teachers employed within the district by seeking to fill open positions from within the district before hiring from the general public. Again this gives the board the power to cut positions and remove experienced teachers from the district as opposed to reassigning them within the district. This is consistent with the boardís desire to intimidate, punish, and weaken our teachers."
What Mr. Bowman fails to realize is that not everyone who has managed to stick around somewhere a long time is necessarily the best and brightest.
And while experience would seem to be a good thing, people must keep in mind that experience can be both good and bad.
Employing someone who has lots of "experience" that is mostly mediocre or bad cheats the children.
What is wrong with hiring the best available person for the job whether or not they are within the system or outside of the system?
Those who are good at their jobs should be enthralled by the opportunities this presents because now they can fairly compete for better positions.
Who benefits in the end?
The really good teachers and our children.
The data on years of service and the impact on effective teaching is available at the ODE. ODE has given presentations on this topic. I think you would find it interesting.
They determined 7 years ago that years of service was not correlated with teaching effectiveness past three years of service.

Just ask the experts.
Let Freedom Ring

Piqua, OH

#24102 Apr 11, 2013
Just get the facts wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW you are living in a different world than any taxpayer. When people say you have to have skin in the game what that means is your money and everyone that lives in this country has skin in the game. Until we stop using Federal monies and State money and local money and just charge tuition for the full cost of education public education will never be and should never be allowed to have board members that only parents. You see a private school is aloud to have board members that they choose and are not elected for this reason.
As to solutions, elect people that hold education accountable, OH we did that, thank you for pointing this out. Good for us!
"Freedom is the right to question and change the established way of doing things. It is the continuous revolution of the marketplace. It is the understanding that allows us to recognize shortcomings and seek solutions."
-Ronald Reagan
boosters

Springboro, OH

#24103 Apr 11, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
That is because you have no manners.
Manners. That's cute. But good manners are accusing people of wrongdoing then not admitting you were wrong in your accusations when they are proven incorrect?

I have plenty of manners - thank you though. See, I just said thank you......
Really

Piqua, OH

#24104 Apr 11, 2013
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding? Get a clue. They sure as heck don't work on the board for the pay.
Please inform us, the great unwashed, what this board has done that is so horrible for our children?
Held people accountable for doing the jobs they are paid to perform?
Investing in a technology program that addresses the future and provides tangible results for the money spent?
Spent more on text books for our children?
Discovered the ruse that was 'no high school busing' and 'pay to participate' and reduced its costs by 30% and then gave the families that chose to participate another venue by which they could reduce it by another $100?
Hired a new Superintendent that is on the ball?
Hired a new Curriculum Director who is top notch?
Hired an actual Human Resources person who knows what she is doing?
Turned the cameras back on so the community could see what is going on and make up their own minds?
Pushed through a transparency program that now exists on our school website so everyone in the community can see what they see?
Etc, etc, etc...
Now which of those tasks do you wish to see undone?
So you're saying that the board members do work outside of the board room? And that is different from the teachers how, but yet the teachers get bashed for just mentioning the fact that they do work on their own time but you praise the board members???

As for the busing, yeah they brought that back but don't forget who had to do without to allow that to happen - and don't forget we are paying our bus drivers $3 less than surrounding areas so let's see what quality bus drivers we actually get. As for the reduced pay to participate fees, yeah they reduced those but the board is now complaining that there is not enough money in the budget for all of the sports and therefore are forcing all of the sports to do additional fundraising - how does that make sense???? As for the technology, yeah they pushed to get that into all of the schools but lets not forget there is a requirment for all tests to be electronic by next year - they had to increase the technology in the schools. As for the superintendent, yeah they hired a new one, but lets not forget that everyone else dropped out that was considering the position and therefore Petrey was able to ask for additional $$$ which he got! How exactly does the new HR person do her job any better than the previous one, except for the fact that she is good at receiving resignations!

You asks what is undone, lets see - how about hiring some teachers to fill all of the open voids so that our students can take classes above and beyond the core English, Math, SS, and Science. How about offering classes that encourage our students to improve their education and test scores. How about actually praising some of our worthwhile teachers and students. How about finding ways to bring this community back together as one rather than continuing the language that separates this community. How about agreeing to pay our teachers competitive wages with some hope for increases in the future so that we can hope to hire competent teachers? There is a lot undone, not to mention the final question, how is this board going to encourage their constituents to vote for a continuing levy when all of their constituents only want a reduced tax bill and not a healthy school?????????
Supporters

Brunswick, OH

#24105 Apr 11, 2013
Any of you on here that support our BOE this question is for you. Do you think the contract proposal from the BOE to your teachers is fair? I read it and can't believe they had the gall to offer such a contract. What are your reasons for supporting this proposal? Do you all feel it's ok that the BOE will only meet on Fridays to discuss the contracts? Not sure if this is true or not but apparently Rigano will only meet on Fridays. In my opinion both sides should meet everyday until an agreement is reached. Why are they dragging their feet? If they are "for the kids".(Both sides) shouldn't their number one priority be to avoid a strike?
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#24106 Apr 11, 2013
Supporters wrote:
Any of you on here that support our BOE this question is for you. Do you think the contract proposal from the BOE to your teachers is fair? I read it and can't believe they had the gall to offer such a contract. What are your reasons for supporting this proposal? Do you all feel it's ok that the BOE will only meet on Fridays to discuss the contracts? Not sure if this is true or not but apparently Rigano will only meet on Fridays. In my opinion both sides should meet everyday until an agreement is reached. Why are they dragging their feet? If they are "for the kids".(Both sides) shouldn't their number one priority be to avoid a strike?
get out of our forum you Kommie from Kalifornia. Stick to bankrupting your own state.
the inside track

Girard, OH

#24107 Apr 11, 2013
Supporters wrote:
Bend your mind a little so you can attempt to think like a politician. There is solid reasoning behind why our BOE has taken this stubborn initial line.

The board majority certainly knows, at the end of the day, they'll end up giving a certain amount of ground. In business negitiations, one hundred percent of the time it is easier to start out saying "NO" then finish with a some "YESes", than it is to start out the other way around.

Scott Maney's been around long enough to understand this strategy. But of course he'll happily keep his mouth clamped shut so the teachers and the SEA can continue to work the current manipulative red shirt brainwashing scheme on our district's student population. Of course along with all other stupidity, this will soon pass. Maney certainly understands the word compromise is on the near horizon for Boro teachers as well.
Healthy Choice

Piqua, OH

#24108 Apr 11, 2013
Because of our children first budgeting "reform-minded" BOE majority, OUR schools are HEALTHIER than ever before, thanks to the "healing financial prescription" of Dr. Kohls, Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano, doing what's right for our school children and community, assuring a quality education for our children in a very "sick" economy.

Not only are our schools "healthy" but our schools our SAFER today than before 2009 (when Dr. Kohls was elected by concerned citizens as our first reform-minded board representative). It did take a long process of failing five unnecesary levies and two school board elections, but concerned citizens stayed to the task and in November 2011, finally elected a reform-minded BOE majority.

Do you remember how previous board members ignored our kids' needs such as textbooks, materials and supplies for our classrooms, safety transportation needs and repairs to our buildings and properties? And at every board meeting all the public heard from the SEA is ..."WE NEED A BAND-AID" meaning a new levy to pay for increased salaries and benefits for union employees, all the while board members (prior to Dr. Kohls' coming on board) were IGNORING all the needs of our school children!
Do you remember how the five year forecast (before Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano were elected to the board) did not include textbooks?
Now this year the district purchased $400,000 in new textbooks for the K-5 levels and the board has budgeted for more materials and supplies to the classroom, more special ed and gifted services...
all for children FIRST.

Do you remember before Dr. Kohls, Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano were elected to the board, that the past 5 year forecast did not include repairs needed to our buildings --Windows, heating and air conditioning systems, roofs, and many more items for creating a SAFE and comfortable environment for our kids? NOW the school district has budgeted $2.5 million for a capitol investment plan as recommended to us by an audit firm and our own administrative assessments. This capitol plan will be able to replace, roofs, windowns, paint, flooring and other infrastructures as needed. Again, this was NOT done in previous forecasts.
... and there is so much MORE....
Healthy Choice

Piqua, OH

#24109 Apr 11, 2013
Springboro parents and taxpaying homeowners remember that our school district has a vastly aging fleet of buses that have not been getting replaced (by board members prior to Dr. Kohls, Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano) on a "SCHEDULE" so that means many can no longer run, and others that "fail" loaded with our kids.
Now, under the leadership of our children first budgeting BOE majority, our school district has budgeted for transportation needs of our kids so that they can be safely transported to and from school. The school district has purchased eleven new buses this year! and will purchase nine more over the next few years for a total of twenty new buses! The school district has allocated two million for transportation needs.
AGAIN, please remember that this safety planning for our kids was never planned BEFORE this current board of members, including Dr. Kohls, Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano.
and there is more!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moraine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 59 min woo-boy 31,017
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr WARRIOR 19,210
This is your lucky Monday! 12 hr masterofconcretep... 4
Charter school complaints prompt wider probe 19 hr Fan of Leon The Man 2
Looking for Prentice Richardson (Aka Buddy) (Apr '12) Tue hitchiker 7
Community Keeps Calm Despite Questions About Wa... Tue Fan of Leon The Man 1
Yuna Lee named 40/29 News Sunrise Co-Anchor Tue Fan of Leon The Man 3
•••
•••
•••

Moraine Jobs

•••
•••
•••