Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
22,921 - 22,940 of 31,189 Comments Last updated 30 min ago
No OEA Indoctrination

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
After seeing some of the irrational personnel actions taken by our board, I strongly support the teachers right to have a union!
As for me and my household of voters, we would be the first to defend the right of Ohio's government workers to protest and to advocate for their positin in the public arena. Such a right is among the foundational rights of our great Republic. The Ohio Education Association however, believes teachers should carry their protest and advocacy into classrooms all over Ohio. The OEA also believes teachers should indoctrinate our children on unionism.

After seeing some of the disruptive, disrespectful protests of our SHS Youth Union students, under the influence of the Springboro Education Association president, Scott Maney, creating havoc of disrespect and ridicule of authority throughout our schools and community, then we say "not with my hard earned investment of school tax dollars in our children's future."
Worth Repeating

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Just Because wrote:
It's time for our fearful ones to stop clinging to "status quo" failed practices of the past; just because we've always practiced past failures. We have a new practice of doing education in the best interest of each individual student under new elected-leadership majority of reform-minded BOE representatives.
Hooray for us! Our school district voters have broken that OSBA/OEA tunnel vision which promotes continuous streams of new school taxes; holding parents hostage over things like increased fees and threats of "brain drain" caused our community by our classroom teachers "walking out” on our Springboro students; IF self-interest demands of grand-standing union activists aren't met.
School districts voters have failed five new money school levy requests;and have voted into elected office school board representatives who support "Levy Alternatives/Budget Reform"... FIRST, before coming to heavily-taxed-burdened homeowners for new money. Our new BOE majority is doing what’s right for our school children and our community! How fortunate are we to hear at the January 22 public school board meeting, from our school district CFO report, that our school finances are in good shape and right where we expected to be! How grateful we are to our BOE budget and finance committee for their amazing achievements during 2012, as we offer continued support throughout greater challenges of the new year.
Our school district’s new philosophy of our reform-minded BOE majority is the right choice for our children's future;and the right way to keep Our Springboro Schools and Our Springboro Community as a whole ...GROWING STRONG.
Have you noticed that SEA/commuunity union activists posting on this board act just like immature children constantly nagging and whining their self-interests; when, truth be told, the only reasonable response is simply Just Because.

How fortunate we are in Springboro to be out of that continuous indoctrination of OSBA/OEA streams of school levies holding our children's greater achievements hostage to that "excellent with distinction" phony mantra of "being the best that you can be."

(Let's have a moment of silence for our good Centerville friends who are still gettting pushed around by this deceptive indoctrination of the OSBA/OEA community union activists. We Love You! Centerville! but we sure wish you could see thing the Springboro Children's First Way!)
No Towne Crafts

Girard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Kabler. Babble. Nonsense. God doesn't like ugly.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
The teachers aren't probably sharing their concerns with you since you were the sponsor of Mr Petroni and Rigano's campaign.
They are very concerned for their jobs and afraid of what could happen to them. These are professionals who should be treated with respect! Not made the scapegoats for everything!
Why would they be concerned about their jobs? The only ones who should ever be concerned about their job in any business are the ones who are underperforming. Everyone in business knows who those people are, as well as the individuals themselves. It never comes as a complete shock to anyone.

I do not believe that the board is scapegoating anyone but the system into which we are all so vested. The system we currently employ cheats children, parents, and taxpayers.

2000 plus children in our school district are getting less than 63% of the material on an achievement test that has been dumbed down. If we measure against international standards the entire district would convulse with repulsion.

We are under no obligation to the state to maintain the status quo and relegate those 2000 plus children to the collateral damaged educational casualty list.

The question becomes, do we have the teachers that are capable of competing on the world stage or just against some of our less fortunate neighbors?
SPIN SPIN

Girard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would they be concerned about their jobs? The only ones who should ever be concerned about their job in any business are the ones who are underperforming. Everyone in business knows who those people are, as well as the individuals themselves. It never comes as a complete shock to anyone.
I do not believe that the board is scapegoating anyone but the system into which we are all so vested. The system we currently employ cheats children, parents, and taxpayers.
2000 plus children in our school district are getting less than 63% of the material on an achievement test that has been dumbed down. If we measure against international standards the entire district would convulse with repulsion.
We are under no obligation to the state to maintain the status quo and relegate those 2000 plus children to the collateral damaged educational casualty list.
The question becomes, do we have the teachers that are capable of competing on the world stage or just against some of our less fortunate neighbors?
Keep the spin going. 2000+ children left behind? You want these same teachers to carry a gun and save your child by risking their lives? What a crazy loon you are. You want everything but you don't want to pay for it and you don't want it any way but yours. You spew arm the teachers to force them to protect your children - but who is going to protect the teachers from you and your cronies???
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

SPIN SPIN wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep the spin going. 2000+ children left behind? You want these same teachers to carry a gun and save your child by risking their lives? What a crazy loon you are. You want everything but you don't want to pay for it and you don't want it any way but yours. You spew arm the teachers to force them to protect your children - but who is going to protect the teachers from you and your cronies???
If you would care to put your interpretation on the district report card utilizing the criteria the state has put forth, please feel free. Explain to the parents of this district how learning half of what their children should is good enough for them.

In case you haven't noticed, we all are paying for that lack of education for over 2000 children in this district. We are paying now through taxes and will be again in lost opportunities for those same 2000 plus children who never got the education they were promised.

I am more than certain that no one has ever advocated passing out shotguns to every school district employee. If you can find that quote, please forward it on for all of the community. You would be free once again to be protected by someone else if you had neither the desire, nor ability, to pass the requisite tests

Secondly, school employees would also be protecting themselves. Once again, who among us does not believe any victim of gun violence did not wish they had more than a gun free zone placard between them and a shooter? How many of those being shot at would rather of had something with which to return fire?

All that is needed at the school is the credible threat that a few people there may be armed and pose a threat to the knucklehead who is seemingly not deterred by signs advertising gun free zones.
It could be five people carrying weapons or it could be none, the knucklehead would never know for sure.

Cowards are generally dissuaded quite easily.
Reflection

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
For the record, the majority of people at the well-attended school board meeting were not part of the teachers union. Just because I support our great teachers, doesn't mean I am a union thug!
For the record......
BORO look in the mirror wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree wholehearedly that many of Jan 10's participants displayed an incredible amount of pretentiousness. Teachers in the audience thinking of nothing but THEMSELVES collectively shouted down further conversion school discussion. Certain parents chimed in with these teachers. That was nothing less than a union on union orgy. If you see parents from the 1/10 speakers list in and around town, you may still notice a strange brown substance smeared in and around their nose and inside their nostrils.
What happened Jan 10th is a gross injustice to parents in this district who have students who are struggling in one or more academic areas. Many have problems at home, sometimes with parents that aren't parents. These are the kids that sometimes get so discouraged that they drop out of school. A lot of them would tell you for various reasons they have trouble keeping up with the rest of the class. Some of these struggling students might tell you they're being completely left behind by a school district's omnipresent subliminal standard....
"Excellent with Distinction...with NO exception"
What happened Jan 10th is a gross injustice to many district parents of gifted children. Ask some of these kids. Many of them will tell you they reach a point where they feel they are no longer being challenged. They'll tell you in certain classes they get held back to the "rest of the pack" because there's not enough people or resources for them, or the TYPE of resourses they need at their level.
Fly Swat

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

SPIN SPIN wrote:
<quoted text>
such pesky little flies leaving nasty droppings all over this blog. swat,swat.
Question

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

you are kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
levy "ladies" ? Babb, Carlisle, Jobe ?....you must have low standards..they are not ladies, but B*****S.
So What's In a Name? Babb, Carlisle, Jobe are all badd for boro kids, just the same as their full band of community bullies led by Springboro board of education member, Don Miller, protesting crudely and rudely against our children's best interest.
Question

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Question worth repeating, again and again....
Worth Repeating wrote:
<quoted text>
hey don, will you please concede to the people's will and admit that your Babb for Boro November 2011 campaign failed; and will you please stop wasting taxpayers time and money with your continued protests against a free election;
Will you please resign your status quo leadership position of just "sitting" on the board, year after year, protesting all changes for the good of all our students;
offering nothing in service to our schools and community except your time and money wasting protests against doing what's right; and offering only your whines and longings for keeping our kids left behind, just like during the long ago forgotten glory days of the good ole boys BOE pro-union rule in our schools and community.
Will you step up to honor the voter's trust in you as a board representative to finally do the right thing?
Will you please resign and join our former "has been a BOE president" as one who simply does not agree with the new direction of our BOE majority; in whom our school district voters have placed our trust to assure every child in our community a quality education, while living within our community financial resources.
not working

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Fly Swat wrote:
<quoted text>
such pesky little flies leaving nasty droppings all over this blog. swat,swat.
Our fly swatter is back? Get a life and learn how to articulate and argument instead of use the things you learned in union school. Dirty tricks are not working for you.
Dish

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Boro Backer wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not close to the Carlisle family, but I do have children the same age as her children, and what you posted about her family could not be further from the truth. Not only was her son not kicked off of the cross country team, he was one of their better runners this season and has never been suspended. Her children are smart, polite, well-rounded, and well-mannered and are the kind of children that both teachers and coaches enjoy having in their classroom or on their team. I should know as my husband has coached her son in the past. To wrongly disparage her family as you have done is a disgrace and is yet another example of why I take any of the "facts" as presented by posters such as yourself with a grain of salt.
Character attacks are painful. Try to stop doing it Tiffy. You have called Dr. Kohls many things in public, all untrue. Are you going to apologize to her? I doubt it. You can dish it but you can't take it. Mentioning kids in an argument is wrong, anywhere. So stop doing it Tiffnay.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Let me know when anyone wants to see the 2012 report card?

While all of these little weasel attacks on one another seem to be great fun for none and all, they fail to address the systemic issues we have within our educational system that allows us to pass on 2000 plus students a year who simply aren't getting the education the taxpayer's are funding.

Perhaps some of the union members have solutions to these problems that fit within the constraints of our physical, fiscal, and cultural issues.
Fly Swat

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

not working wrote:
<quoted text>
Our fly swatter is back? Get a life and learn how to articulate and argument instead of use the things you learned in union school. Dirty tricks are not working for you.
Swat, Swat.
Tiffany

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Long ago, I pledged to never post here again. I have no interest in topix and the hatred that is so prevalent here. But I have been made aware of a post about my children, and I feel the need to respond to it directly. You can say whatever you want about me, post whatever lies you want about who and what I am, or make up lies about what I say, and I could really care less. But to post outright lies about my kids is not OK. It is disgusting. Nothing you said was even close to the truth. My kids work very hard, and get excellent grades. My son has never been suspended, and he was not kicked off the XC team, or any team, for that matter. You are a COWARD to start such horrible rumors. Hiding behind an anonymous name to say such terrible things is cowardly.

I am not a "union activist". And I am not a "bully". I am a mom who cares about her kids more than anything. I am passionate about my kids, Springboro schools, and my community. I will continue to speak out when I am concerned with decisions being made. This is my right as a community member. But I will always do it with confidence, not hiding behind a fake name.
reality

Girard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Tiffany wrote:
Long ago, I pledged to never post here again. I have no interest in topix and the hatred that is so prevalent here. But I have been made aware of a post about my children, and I feel the need to respond to it directly. You can say whatever you want about me, post whatever lies you want about who and what I am, or make up lies about what I say, and I could really care less. But to post outright lies about my kids is not OK. It is disgusting. Nothing you said was even close to the truth. My kids work very hard, and get excellent grades. My son has never been suspended, and he was not kicked off the XC team, or any team, for that matter. You are a COWARD to start such horrible rumors. Hiding behind an anonymous name to say such terrible things is cowardly.
I am not a "union activist". And I am not a "bully". I am a mom who cares about her kids more than anything. I am passionate about my kids, Springboro schools, and my community. I will continue to speak out when I am concerned with decisions being made. This is my right as a community member. But I will always do it with confidence, not hiding behind a fake name.
Tiff, It's good to have you back. You are 100% correct in one regard. No one in their right mind takes down someone else's children as part of an overall ad hominem attack on one of their parents.

Regarding your perception of "bully" and /or "union activist", I'm quite confident I can speak for the majority of Springboro when I state that you most certainly are in need of a check-up from the neck-up.
Just Say No

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
This is rich, right out of Stalin's Young Pioneer's teaching guide. Long live the proletariat!
(tongue in cheek sarcasm for those with a defective sense of humor)
http://www.radicalmath.org/
Just Say No to OEA Indoctrinaton
Our priority should be (for the best education for all children) taking the politics out of our children's classrooms. Teaching unionism (for self-interest union activists' empowerment) is a waste of our school tax dollars; and teaching unionism wastes our children's time; wastefully indoctrinating our children's minds that they should "grow up and vote for revenge" does not fit within our community/city schools mission statement.

"The future of the nation is on the shoulders of teachers and how they teach kids; the future of the world is in the classroom where the teachers are. And if we have any chance to guarantee a positive bridge to the 21st century, it is how we educate the children in the classrooms today." - Richard Reginald Green
First Things First

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
The first thing we need to do is disabuse ourselves of the notion that we are the best thing since sliced bread. We have some deep systemic issues that need to be dealt with in this community in regards to educating our children.
1) We need to realistically evaluate where our deficiencies exist, both inside and outside the classroom. Education is not a drop your child off for 7 hours and they return educated. It involves the parents backing up and supporting the teachers at home, Requiring and helping with homework to make sure it is done. Not all parents are created equal, so we need to make sure that the parents have the resources to learn the material being taught so they can help the children learn. There seems to be a need for a study island for parents who wish to help their children but have been away from school for many years.
2) Just like there are no two children who are alike in their abilities, we need to recognize that teachers are much the same. Not all teachers are created equal, some are excellent, some are good, some are mediocre, and some are bad. Nodding our head at the union mantra that all teachers are excellent is a bit too Animal Farm for me. Let us begin to call a spade a spade and utilize our resources in house to bring those less talented up to speed or show them the door. The ones paying the price for mediocre or less ability are the very ones we are here for, the children.
3) Raising the standards by which we choose to operate and then enforcing those standards will pay huge dividends for all involved, from administrators, to teachers, to parents, to children, to taxpayers. We are not condemned to troll the base standards that the state employs, we are perfectly free to aim so much higher.
4) Real achievement that can be measured and quantified. While some may call that teaching to the test, I call that basic knowledge required to function productively in this society. Feasting on semantics to cover up failure is no substitute for actual learning and academic achievement. Rote learning of your math tables may seem boring, but the results are undeniable. Build self esteem with actual accomplishment, not with a false Honor Society where the top 70% of your class is recognized as deserving that accolade.
5) Recognize that not all children learn in the same environment and realize that other choices may be necessary. Some may thrive under a more rigorous discipline setting, while different children wilt under the same authority. Build programs that allow parents the choice of where their child should attempt to succeed.
6) We are not fated to repeat the past in hopes of gaining an alternate ending. We are free to reinvent the system, let us grasp this opportunity and move both our school district and our children forward now.
7) Speak up against the status quo and demand true excellence throughout the school district. Only the vox populi can stem this tide of mediocrity.
First thing our school district needs is an outside-the-union professional group hired to explore "Why Springboro Should Consider a Conversion School."
First Things First

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
The first thing we need to do is disabuse ourselves of the notion that we are the best thing since sliced bread. We have some deep systemic issues that need to be dealt with in this community in regards to educating our children.
1) We need to realistically evaluate where our deficiencies exist, both inside and outside the classroom. Education is not a drop your child off for 7 hours and they return educated. It involves the parents backing up and supporting the teachers at home, Requiring and helping with homework to make sure it is done. Not all parents are created equal, so we need to make sure that the parents have the resources to learn the material being taught so they can help the children learn. There seems to be a need for a study island for parents who wish to help their children but have been away from school for many years.
2) Just like there are no two children who are alike in their abilities, we need to recognize that teachers are much the same. Not all teachers are created equal, some are excellent, some are good, some are mediocre, and some are bad. Nodding our head at the union mantra that all teachers are excellent is a bit too Animal Farm for me. Let us begin to call a spade a spade and utilize our resources in house to bring those less talented up to speed or show them the door. The ones paying the price for mediocre or less ability are the very ones we are here for, the children.
3) Raising the standards by which we choose to operate and then enforcing those standards will pay huge dividends for all involved, from administrators, to teachers, to parents, to children, to taxpayers. We are not condemned to troll the base standards that the state employs, we are perfectly free to aim so much higher.
4) Real achievement that can be measured and quantified. While some may call that teaching to the test, I call that basic knowledge required to function productively in this society. Feasting on semantics to cover up failure is no substitute for actual learning and academic achievement. Rote learning of your math tables may seem boring, but the results are undeniable. Build self esteem with actual accomplishment, not with a false Honor Society where the top 70% of your class is recognized as deserving that accolade.
5) Recognize that not all children learn in the same environment and realize that other choices may be necessary. Some may thrive under a more rigorous discipline setting, while different children wilt under the same authority. Build programs that allow parents the choice of where their child should attempt to succeed.
6) We are not fated to repeat the past in hopes of gaining an alternate ending. We are free to reinvent the system, let us grasp this opportunity and move both our school district and our children forward now.
7) Speak up against the status quo and demand true excellence throughout the school district. Only the vox populi can stem this tide of mediocrity.
Genius without Education is like Silver in the Mine.
-Benjamin Franklin
First Things First

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

We need to stop focusing on the status quo no-leadership of "just sitting" board member Don Miller, and his failed tunnel vision Babb for Boro union activists campaign; and we need to bring the conversation on this blog back to common sense in our classrooms, and higher inspiration for our children's future, projected by the broader vision of our children first budgeting school board members. for "our children's future."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Moraine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 56 min Duke for Mayor 30,438
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Ancient One 18,817
Robert Browning- Sexual Pedophile (Oct '09) 6 hr Beth Myers 18
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! 13 hr K T Spyder 37
Trotwood Music Selection (Sep '12) 15 hr Musikologist 10
Be respectful 16 hr Mike Brown High C... 2
Dr Commander selvam swamiji sri selvam siddhar ... (Dec '11) 20 hr Albert Stidham 39

Search the Moraine Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Moraine Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Moraine People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••