Pulp mill sale expected in February

Full story: Eureka Times Standard

A group of investors is set to buy the Samoa pulp mill by Feb. 5, nearly four months after it was shut down due to a dismal market.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
anonymous

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

What's really going on?
another view

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Hmmm Samoa Acquisition Corp.... Eel River Acquisition Corp... um gee do we see a resemblance here??? Is Buck Olson going to show his slimey head again and dupe more good men out of their future and leave a mess in his wake like he did at Eel River Sawmills?

There is too much a coincidence, All I can say to many of my fellow co-workers is to watch your ass-etts and keep a close hold on the rope attatched to the soap...HERE WE GO AGAIN!
Bernard Fokke

Newark, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

The water district is liable to sink the deal with their greed if they aren't careful
Eric Kirk

Jackson St Forest, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Their greed? I'll use that argument next time I don't want to pay my own water bill. "Hey, don't be greedy!"
Jeff E

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Eric Kirk wrote:
Their greed? I'll use that argument next time I don't want to pay my own water bill. "Hey, don't be greedy!"
If you are really worried about your water bill, you should be demanding the Water District work with the new owners & get this deal done.

Otherwise, if the pulp mill shuts down for good your water bills will skyrocket. The pulp mill pays almost half of the water district bills !!!

“Truth is Difficult to Find!”

Since: Dec 07

Eureka/Hoopa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

It is said that the Pulp Mill pays 40% of the Water District's bills, is this because they use 40% of the water and services required?

I don't want to see more jobs lost, but if the mill completly closed, would the work to provide water also be reduced, thus lessening the cost for suppling water to the plant?

Yes, it may increase the monthly water bill for the general public, but by how much? Taking into consideration that a large bulk of water is not being used and costs to provide it to the mill is not there, if the mill is not there.

I think the Water Board maybe using this as a tactic for future increases.

Of course, this is just a thought and could be wrong.
Grasshopper

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Sounds like the mill may have been subsidizing the the District's other users. I have to believe the water the mill used is not treated potable water. Why would rates go up? Time to take a closer look at the District's revenues and expenditures.
Rey

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Unless you had to develop and supply your own water out of some creek or a self dug well, you don't know how inexpensive your water really is, pure and deliverded to your tap, just look at New Orleans and how long the lines for fresh water were...
unanonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

a wise man once said, "when the well run dry you have no water.."
Codypup

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

My understanding is that the capacity of the HBMWD is aboput 22 million gallons per day. When the two pulp mills were running, they used about 20 million gallons per day.

It would seem that any business experiencing a 90% drop in sales, without a comensurate drop in costs, would be raising prices a lot.
Alf Doten

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

This Moraga group will probably scrap the mill?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Moraga Discussions

Search the Moraga Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 20 min Cali Girl 2014 199,107
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 47 min Chuck 17,828
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 1 hr Science is Fake 7,325
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 2 hr jef helms 15,674
Oakland officials launch campaign to rebrand city 11 hr OaklandEquestrian 6
9400 Boyz Oakland, CA (Nov '09) 11 hr OaklandEquestrian 51
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Apr 19 Drafty 4,559
•••
•••

Moraga News Video

•••
Moraga Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Moraga Jobs

•••
•••
•••