Pulp mill sale expected in February

A group of investors is set to buy the Samoa pulp mill by Feb. 5, nearly four months after it was shut down due to a dismal market. Read more
anonymous

Arcata, CA

#1 Jan 16, 2009
What's really going on?
another view

Santa Rosa, CA

#2 Jan 16, 2009
Hmmm Samoa Acquisition Corp.... Eel River Acquisition Corp... um gee do we see a resemblance here??? Is Buck Olson going to show his slimey head again and dupe more good men out of their future and leave a mess in his wake like he did at Eel River Sawmills?

There is too much a coincidence, All I can say to many of my fellow co-workers is to watch your ass-etts and keep a close hold on the rope attatched to the soap...HERE WE GO AGAIN!
Bernard Fokke

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Jan 16, 2009
The water district is liable to sink the deal with their greed if they aren't careful
Eric Kirk

Jackson St Forest, CA

#5 Jan 16, 2009
Their greed? I'll use that argument next time I don't want to pay my own water bill. "Hey, don't be greedy!"
Jeff E

Eureka, CA

#6 Jan 16, 2009
Eric Kirk wrote:
Their greed? I'll use that argument next time I don't want to pay my own water bill. "Hey, don't be greedy!"
If you are really worried about your water bill, you should be demanding the Water District work with the new owners & get this deal done.

Otherwise, if the pulp mill shuts down for good your water bills will skyrocket. The pulp mill pays almost half of the water district bills !!!

“Truth is Difficult to Find!”

Since: Dec 07

Eureka/Hoopa, CA

#7 Jan 16, 2009
It is said that the Pulp Mill pays 40% of the Water District's bills, is this because they use 40% of the water and services required?

I don't want to see more jobs lost, but if the mill completly closed, would the work to provide water also be reduced, thus lessening the cost for suppling water to the plant?

Yes, it may increase the monthly water bill for the general public, but by how much? Taking into consideration that a large bulk of water is not being used and costs to provide it to the mill is not there, if the mill is not there.

I think the Water Board maybe using this as a tactic for future increases.

Of course, this is just a thought and could be wrong.
Grasshopper

Oroville, CA

#8 Jan 16, 2009
Sounds like the mill may have been subsidizing the the District's other users. I have to believe the water the mill used is not treated potable water. Why would rates go up? Time to take a closer look at the District's revenues and expenditures.
Rey

Arcata, CA

#9 Jan 16, 2009
Unless you had to develop and supply your own water out of some creek or a self dug well, you don't know how inexpensive your water really is, pure and deliverded to your tap, just look at New Orleans and how long the lines for fresh water were...
unanonymous

United States

#10 Jan 16, 2009
a wise man once said, "when the well run dry you have no water.."
Codypup

Eureka, CA

#11 Jan 17, 2009
My understanding is that the capacity of the HBMWD is aboput 22 million gallons per day. When the two pulp mills were running, they used about 20 million gallons per day.

It would seem that any business experiencing a 90% drop in sales, without a comensurate drop in costs, would be raising prices a lot.
Alf Doten

United States

#12 Jan 17, 2009
This Moraga group will probably scrap the mill?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moraga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Tattoos on women disgusting? 7 min Sizemick 4
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr TOASTER 19,740
Kristina Nelson (Sep '14) 17 hr Local 20
News Are School Police Real Police? Tue Tell the Whole Truth 1
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Tue Psycho Bob 17,004
Review: Redwood Convalescent Hospital Tue THE ONE 1
News E-Loan exiting out of loan business (Nov '08) Mar '14 Marlene 2
Moraga Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Moraga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]