Butte County government gets new chief

Butte County government gets new chief

There are 4 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Nov 16, 2009, titled Butte County government gets new chief. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

Scott Tandy of Moraga was today named interim chief administrative officer for Butte County, after a closed door session of the Board of Supervisors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

stephens1949

Chico, CA

#2 Nov 17, 2009
Why are so many public issues being discuses behind closed doors? It only leaves me thinking suspiciously? It makes me think there is something secret and crooked about the deals. Isn't the new fashion in government transparency? There is just one hell of a lot of it, is why I ask.
Reality

West Tehama County, CA

#3 Nov 17, 2009
stephens1949 wrote:
Why are so many public issues being discuses behind closed doors? It only leaves me thinking suspiciously? It makes me think there is something secret and crooked about the deals. Isn't the new fashion in government transparency? There is just one hell of a lot of it, is why I ask.
Hiring and firing of someone is considered a personnel issue and not allowed in public forum.
Chico Chico

Roseville, CA

#4 Nov 18, 2009
stephens1949 wrote:
Public issues are discussed behind closed doors to keep special interests out. So much money is poured into influencing public policy that it isn't even funny... look at how many pork barrel projects were handed out over the past decade as transparent government bowed to advertisements on TV.

I understand closed door sessions. You know that the Constitution was composed under closed doors, right? If they'd tried to compose that document under perpetual pressure from special interests, it would've been a wreck. Public policy makers need the opportunity to express their beliefs and opinions, even if those beliefs are politically expedient. Remember the old Roman line about "bread and circuses"? Our Democracy cannot afford to beggar itself to that level.
stephens1949

Chico, CA

#5 Nov 18, 2009
Thanks folks you have given me "food for thought" and it will take me some time to think it over. But first I must patch the holes in my boat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moraga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 1 hr Legal Analyst 17,231
Trump as Chief of O P D? 14 hr Mayorz Reepoart 1
Donald to Close Courts & Libraries Fri miybudt 1
News Man fatally shot in San Leandro driveway identi... (Jul '10) Fri murder dosh 15
All Pensions Must Go Fri TRUMPWINS 1
Put Trump in Charge of O P D Jun 22 TRUMP4Ever Plus8 1
Cleveland smacked the taste outta the Warriors ... Jun 21 Tin man 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moraga Mortgages