Paddling becoming less popular at Ind...

Paddling becoming less popular at Indiana schools

There are 53 comments on the WTHR-TV Indianapolis story from Dec 5, 2009, titled Paddling becoming less popular at Indiana schools. In it, WTHR-TV Indianapolis reports that:

Corporal punishment is still legal in Indiana, but many schools have put away the paddle in favor of other forms of student discipline.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHR-TV Indianapolis.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

#1 Dec 6, 2009
Erosion of parental authority: Pharmaceutical state for employment. Mental health drugging for compliance over discipline.
just my thoughts

Capon Bridge, WV

#2 Dec 7, 2009
bat their buts it won't hurt them it might help them6103

“Randy”

Since: Jun 09

The South

#3 Dec 10, 2009
The way I see it: if it works, go for it. The trouble is that there isn't a whole lot of empirical evidence suggesting that it works at all. There's quite a bit suggesting that it causes even more problems--either inherently or because people don't know how to do it properly, at the right time (immediate), and in the right situations.

If "batting their butts" was a clean-cut and easy solution to behavior problems, it ought to show up more obviously in controlled studies. And more importantly, the risks associated with encouraging the whole population to engage in it (regardless of how clueless or cruel they may be) should never outweigh the benefits of a perfectly behaved child. And they certainly seem to.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4 Dec 10, 2009
Be careful to be exact with some of the perv taechers that are making news more & more these days. Put in the language that "bending them over your knee" is not acceptable.

Location hidden

#5 Dec 10, 2009
Guess I should be spanked for spelling "taechers".
just my thoughts

Capon Bridge, WV

#6 Dec 10, 2009
never did have this problem back in the old day when you done something wrong you knew you was going to get your but beat so you did not do anything wrong they should still let teacher beat kids but if they get out of hand
just my thoughts

Capon Bridge, WV

#7 Dec 10, 2009
but should be butts
nope

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Aug 9, 2010
SURE
Joe D Bryant GREENWOOD

Warsaw, IN

#9 Aug 10, 2010
If EVERY child who breaks the same rule is paddled by the principal, then paddle; however, if he is required by the school board to ask for the parents' permission first, then don't paddle anyone. I gave permission for my son to be paddled at Center Grove, and he was. The boy who started the fight, spent an hour in detention. NEVER AGAIN AFTER THAT!
Joe D Bryant GREENWOOD

Warsaw, IN

#10 Aug 10, 2010
BTW, it made me angry that they sent a form home asking permission. He was in their care when he misbehaved, not mine. I didn't set their rules.
Ole John

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Aug 10, 2010
Yeah,..now a days they want to drug them up, pamper therm, send them to Child Psychologist, so they can tell your children how bad a parent you are.

The Government steps in and tells YOU that you can NOT lay your hands on your child to discipline them,..

Well then don't blame the parents when the child misbehaves and causes problems.

Back in my day,..Kids knew better than to act up.

You misbehave, you got sent to the Principals Office,..if it warranted it, YOU got Paddled,...sent home with a note,..Your Mom Paddled you, then said those dreaded words you NEVER wanted to hear,.........

"Just Wait till Your DAD gets Home !"

There was nothing so heartbreaking as to see the disappointment in DADS eyes when he found out I'd misbehaved, after all the help he had gave me to become a better person, and to grow up to be the kind of person that your own kids would look up to for guidance.

It only took a couple of times, to learn that you have to face the responsibility for your own actions, and that you never want to disappoint your parents, or others, when they are teaching you the morals and values to be a responsible adult later in life.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#12 Aug 10, 2010
Paddling? Why not just toss them out a second-story window or kick them down the stairs? Maybe if they realize you really ARE an insane barbarian, they'll behave.

We were never paddled or spanked in my family, nor were my parents in theirs. Spanking is admission that your child is smarter and stronger than you are. There are many non-violent ways to discipline.

The problem here is that, by the time the kid gets to school, they should already have the internal discipline to follow the rules. Parents need to do their job--BOTH parents. Leaving discipline to one is is creating a good cop/bad cop household, which is great for the good cop but the other one is feared more than loved. Don't even have kids until you can agree on how they will be raised.
matress skanks

Noblesville, IN

#13 Aug 11, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote:
Paddling? Why not just toss them out a second-story window or kick them down the stairs? Maybe if they realize you really ARE an insane barbarian, they'll behave.
We were never paddled or spanked in my family, nor were my parents in theirs. Spanking is admission that your child is smarter and stronger than you are. There are many non-violent ways to discipline.
The problem here is that, by the time the kid gets to school, they should already have the internal discipline to follow the rules. Parents need to do their job--BOTH parents. Leaving discipline to one is is creating a good cop/bad cop household, which is great for the good cop but the other one is feared more than loved. Don't even have kids until you can agree on how they will be raised.
Kind of hard to have both parents discipline when "Baby daddy" not around!
triose

Bolingbrook, IL

#14 Aug 11, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote "There are many non-violent ways to discipline."....and this is exactly why we are seeing youth behave the way they do currently. Please site examples of school shootings, gang drive by's, etc. that were done by "youth" in the 50's, 60's and 70's when children were held accountable for their actions....the only thing different now is the attitude that "it's not their fault...they are a victim of their enviroment..we should understand their "issues" and strive to make their life easier.....BS.

Location hidden

#15 Aug 11, 2010
triose wrote:
cpeter1313 wrote "There are many non-violent ways to discipline."....and this is exactly why we are seeing youth behave the way they do currently. Please site examples of school shootings, gang drive by's, etc. that were done by "youth" in the 50's, 60's and 70's when children were held accountable for their actions....the only thing different now is the attitude that "it's not their fault...they are a victim of their enviroment..we should understand their "issues" and strive to make their life easier.....BS.
I see that the "best" response you got was a big red X plastered on your post. Even though yours is the only opinion that cites responsibility & accountability as the obvious PROVEN solutions.
The mindset anymore is that a few shootings & stabbings must be preferable to the occasional fistfight from back in the day.

Indianapolis

#16 Aug 11, 2010
So one parent with a heavy hand equals two non-spanking parents?
matress skanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of hard to have both parents discipline when "Baby daddy" not around!

Indianapolis

#17 Aug 11, 2010
Evidently you forget that teen violence was such a problem in the 50's that congress even created a commission to study it. They blamed music and comic books.

There are more shootings now because guns are far more common now; most households in the 50's did not have guns, and those that did kept them locked up.

The problem is not a lack of accountability, but the idea that teens can make adult decisions. Parents aren't demanding respect and aren't creating homes in which the child is subservient to the parents.
triose wrote:
JKH

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Aug 11, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote:
Evidently you forget that teen violence was such a problem in the 50's that congress even created a commission to study it. They blamed music and comic books.
There are more shootings now because guns are far more common now; most households in the 50's did not have guns, and those that did kept them locked up.
The problem is not a lack of accountability, but the idea that teens can make adult decisions. Parents aren't demanding respect and aren't creating homes in which the child is subservient to the parents.
<quoted text>
I agree:)
matress skanks

Columbia City, IN

#19 Aug 11, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote:
So one parent with a heavy hand equals two non-spanking parents?
<quoted text>
I'll take 1 heavy handed versus 1 or 2 non-spanking anyday. Usually the non-spanking doesn't know where juniors at anyways when shes out making her next spawn in her quest to rope the next baby daddy, the same reason you see toddlers on the news walking down the road or on a busy highway, mom don't care enough about junior to even know where he/shes at. Same goes for when they join gangs.

Its the same reason kids now days don't respect any elders. No discipline or structure. Nobodies talking about beating their kids the infamous argument always used by liberals.

Instead liberalism has taught them to sedate, medicate or get diagnosed with ADD, by a school nurse mind you,(these school nurses are so good at diagnosing they don't even need to run lab test, just because they know) all because the parents can't deal with the kids and don't want to hurt little johnnies feelings with a spanking and actually be a parent. Brilliant, we have pharmaceutical companies throwing a gazillion products on the market in order to make a buck, with every dam pill out there causing some kind of complication or other serious problem, and these parents would rather trust a pharmaceutical company to control their kids mind, brain and actions with a pill that could cause god knows what kind of problems further down the road.
I took my chance with what worked.....spanking...not beating like liberals would like to portray and the kids are fine, polite, and respectful.
Proably the same reason you don't see scientific studies or headlines talking about how screwed up the medication or these kids are now days from being on Ritalin waaaaaaay to long.
At least long enough to calm junior down until they can push him out of the house and on his own.....then suddenly they don't need ritalin anymore..........more like rehab for the meth when reality kicks in and junior has to learn to deal with the real world but can't because the pills were the only thing he/she was taught on how to deal with the real world by loser parents.

Indianapolis

#20 Aug 12, 2010
My parents didn't spank, and there were seven of us kids. My father's side didn't spank, and there were ten kids in that family. Spanking is not required to create or maintain discipline. To be effective, a punishment has to mean something to the kid, and once they figure out that spanking stops hurting after a few minutes, what's the concern?

There have always been and always will be a percentage of people who should NOT have kids. That's a given in any society where children are raised by individual family groups. But we encourage people to have kids, calling it a "blessed event" even when it's exactly the opposite.

Nurses don't diagnose ADD; they refer kids to therapists or physicians who do the testing. There is no lab test for ADD or most other learning disorders; diagnostic protocols are entirely non-invasive.

ADD was, for a time, the "go to" dx when a kid had problems, just like every kid now is dx'd as "autistic". But ADD does exist and those prescriptions actually work when the diagnosis is correct.

Are you a $cientologist or something?

ADD occurs in adults as well, but ritalin isn't the prescription of choice. There's whole line of adult ADD drugs like Strattera. You obviously have never seen a kid--or adult--exhibit true ADD, where they can be on the verge of tears because they can't stay on task, even when they want to. These pharmaceuticals can and do help these people.
matress skanks wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take 1 heavy handed versus 1 or 2 non-spanking anyday. Usually the non-spanking doesn't know where juniors at anyways when shes out making her next spawn in her quest to rope the next baby daddy, the same reason you see toddlers on the news walking down the road or on a busy highway, mom don't care enough about junior to even know where he/shes at. Same goes for when they join gangs.
Its the same reason kids now days don't respect any elders. No discipline or structure. Nobodies talking about beating their kids the infamous argument always used by liberals.
Instead liberalism has taught them to sedate, medicate or get diagnosed with ADD, by a school nurse mind you,(these school nurses are so good at diagnosing they don't even need to run lab test, just because they know) all because the parents can't deal with the kids and don't want to hurt little johnnies feelings with a spanking and actually be a parent. Brilliant, we have pharmaceutical companies throwing a gazillion products on the market in order to make a buck, with every dam pill out there causing some kind of complication or other serious problem, and these parents would rather trust a pharmaceutical company to control their kids mind, brain and actions with a pill that could cause god knows what kind of problems further down the road.
I took my chance with what worked.....spanking...not beating like liberals would like to portray and the kids are fine, polite, and respectful.
Proably the same reason you don't see scientific studies or headlines talking about how screwed up the medication or these kids are now days from being on Ritalin waaaaaaay to long.
At least long enough to calm junior down until they can push him out of the house and on his own.....then suddenly they don't need ritalin anymore..........more like rehab for the meth when reality kicks in and junior has to learn to deal with the real world but can't because the pills were the only thing he/she was taught on how to deal with the real world by loser parents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mooresville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Returning to Martinsville Jul 17 Cure 2
Unsolved Plainfield Homicide (Jul '09) Jul 16 Donna McIntyre 8
News When The KKK Was Mainstream (Mar '15) Jun 27 Evelyn 17
Where all the white women at Jun 26 Blacktacular 1
Neighbor on main street Jun 24 Samanthabarber 3
Camby village Jun '17 Nobody 3
Do you know these people? May '17 Curious 1

Mooresville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance