Anyone remember House on the Hill?

Anyone remember House on the Hill?

Posted in the Moorestown Forum

Stewie Ewie

Clay, WV

#1 Sep 24, 2011
House on the hill used to be an uppity ice cream parlor with sandwhiches on white bread for $12 including a pickle. Supposedly they made their own ice cream but that was never really known not even to employees. It was on the hill between Masonville and Rt 38 on Ark Road.

I worked there for three days until I realized how slave-driving they were. Boy if they were in business in this day and age they'd be sued in no time flat!

Wierd people though. Is it even there anymore?
Dale

Runnemede, NJ

#2 Sep 24, 2011
Stewie Ewie wrote:
House on the hill used to be an uppity ice cream parlor with sandwhiches on white bread for $12 including a pickle. Supposedly they made their own ice cream but that was never really known not even to employees. It was on the hill between Masonville and Rt 38 on Ark Road.
I worked there for three days until I realized how slave-driving they were. Boy if they were in business in this day and age they'd be sued in no time flat!
I vaguely remember it over there on Hartford road,but I never visted it.I am from the Medford area. Its no longer there. Burlington county college put a building nearby and I think the old victorian style house was torn down because of it.
diane

Clinton Township, MI

#3 Oct 28, 2011
I ate there several times and remember hearing stories that the place was haunted. One story was that the employees heard a terrible fight between the owners that lived upstairs, only to discover that the owners were away that night. Another was that a rack of dishes mysteriously came crashing to the ground when no one was near it.
Monica

Cocoa, FL

#4 Dec 26, 2011
My Mom grew up in that house. My grandparents owned it :) I spent every summer at that house on Ark Road and wished my grandparents never sold it. I have many found memories growing up there. Summers at the pool and family BBQs. We visited the House on the Hill Ice Cream Parlor once as a family after my grandparents sold it and it was weird having ice cream in public where we had all of our Holiday meals in the dining room. It was a grand old house and we used to slide down the banisters. After it was an ice cream shop it was an office and my sister's godmother worked there. She used to joke that her office was in my uncle's old bedroom, it was weird for her lol. And yes sad to say they tore it down :( There were rumors about it being haunted and my uncles even had an article in the paper about it one year. But I never had anything weird experiences growing up there. The 3rd story and basement were a little creept but I spent many many nights there as well with bedtime stories from my "Mimi and Poppop" and no stirrings in the night.
Steve

Medford, NJ

#5 May 28, 2013
Stewie Ewie wrote:
I remember The House On The Hill very well. You do not seem to have your facts straight which does not surprise me much if you couldn't handle a job for more than three days. The ice cream was made three to seven days a week by the owners and a couple of trusted employees that were of the highest caliber. Most of the employees there were great. It was a friendly atmosphere and family oriented which is something that has been lost today. It was not fancy or expensive. Sandwiches with chips and, yes, a dill pickle spear were anywhere from $3.50 to $6.50 for a fresh sliced ribeye cheesesteak. You must not have stayed long enough to learn that. Too bad though, it was a great place. Sorry to see it gone!

“Sock Hop A Doo Bee Doo”

Since: Sep 13

Yards, VA

#6 Oct 4, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember The House On The Hill very well. You do not seem to have your facts straight which does not surprise me much if you couldn't handle a job for more than three days. The ice cream was made three to seven days a week by the owners and a couple of trusted employees that were of the highest caliber. Most of the employees there were great. It was a friendly atmosphere and family oriented which is something that has been lost today. It was not fancy or expensive. Sandwiches with chips and, yes, a dill pickle spear were anywhere from $3.50 to $6.50 for a fresh sliced ribeye cheesesteak. You must not have stayed long enough to learn that. Too bad though, it was a great place. Sorry to see it gone!
That place sucked, Steve. Bunch of parents with a homo moronic son trying to be Queen of the HIll. Heck, maybe it was you, steve. Home Steve of the Hill.

Now go home and tell mommy and daddy you defended their crockeyed business.
Steve

Marlton, NJ

#7 Mar 10, 2014
DJ Mike Bowman wrote:
<quoted text>
That place sucked, Steve. Bunch of parents with a homo moronic son trying to be Queen of the HIll. Heck, maybe it was you, steve. Home Steve of the Hill.
Now go home and tell mommy and daddy you defended their crockeyed business.
Nice language and such intelligent dialogue. Your true nature shines through. You must be proud.
Dave

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Apr 18, 2014
I worked there for some time. The ice cream was homemade along with the sauces, soups and several other items. Hands down the best job I ever had along with some friends I still keep in touch with. I learned a lot about cooking from the owners son. As for the owners, they ran the business tough but they were great people. Just to show you how they were they opened the in ground pool in the back yard for the employees every year. You were aloud to bring family and friends as long as you were not working. Sorry to see this place go. I moved and another cook went into the service at the same time the owners son went back to school. I would probably own that place if I had never left.
Mike Borneo

Long Beach, CA

#9 Jun 2, 2014
I grew up in Larchmont and we would always go to House on the Hill for ice cream after school events. Eventually Friendly's opened and we started going there instead. Eventually the township decided to flatten the hill and widen Ark Road so they tore the old house down. Glad to see there was a post on the interweb about a place I have fond memories of from my childhood.
Steve Marcus

Medford, NJ

#10 Jun 24, 2015
I remember house on the hill very well. Great food and homemade ice cream for an affordable price. The folks that ran the place were awesome and extremely outgoing and friendly as were their staff. it was sad to see a good old fashioned ice cream parlor like that close.
Steve S

Medford, NJ

#11 Dec 12, 2015
I remember The House On The Hill very well. My Dad and his best friend opened it in 1985 and it was open for a little over 5 years. We had some of the best people I have ever met that worked their and we had great customers as well. We did make our own ice cream and food there. My Dad and I made most of the ice cream, however, Mike, one of the great people that worked there, also helped making the ice cream. Dave, we had two there, we're incredible people. We were blessed to have them both helping. They both took on more responsibility and worked hard to achieve excellence in everything they did. They performed well beyond their years and I know how fortunate we were to have had them there and for me to have known them.

To the unhappy employee...sorry that things did not work out for you there. We always tried to be fair to the workers and provide a good, clean and safe environment for the workers and customers. My Dad always made sure that everyone was paid in full for every paycheck, no matter what. He operated the business with honesty and integrity and always tried to do the right and moral thing.

Thank you to all the workers, customers and friends that made The House On The Hill Ice Cream Parlour a success. They were some great years with some EXCEPTIONAL people.

(and yes there were a few times when we could not explain some things there that may be attributed to the supernatural....maybe haunted?)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moorestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Contracts For June 24, 2016 Sun Russian Ainu 3
Anybody know the story behind Holiday Lake? (May '06) Sat Shamong Res 322
mirrow fell down on diners at cafe madison Jun 11 jody1 1
Whats miley cyrus's real phone number (Jan '08) Jun 5 Patience 653
FirePits law? (Mar '07) Jun 4 Lady8ug -nature l... 24
News Seneca High teacher faces on-campus sex charges (Mar '09) May '16 Anthony Scarpuzzi 15
normandy drive flasher May '16 jody up 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moorestown Mortgages