Niagara forges ahead with plans for L...

Niagara forges ahead with plans for Lake water-bottling plant

There are 22 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 21, 2008, titled Niagara forges ahead with plans for Lake water-bottling plant. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A California company may change course to ensure that it opens a bottled-water plant in south Lake County despite huge opposition from local governments and residents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Delusionole

Lady Lake, FL

#1 May 21, 2008
Stop the madness. I can be fined for watering the grass and these people get approval from our govt.
yalaharon

Lady Lake, FL

#2 May 21, 2008
Follow the money.......The Southwest Florida Water Management District, which is urging residents in that part of the state to reduce their water use because of pressing drought conditions, issued a permit in January for a bulk bottled-water operation in east Sumter County. Wildwood Springs Bulk Water Inc., run by William and Debbie Farkus of Wildwood, is permitted to withdraw an average of 181 million gallons of groundwater a year...
start with the officials at SFWM.... prosecute the crooks and get them out of there...they are not serving the residents....who has to get involved to stop this insanity ? Boycott Niagara Water products....
Save our water

Winter Garden, FL

#3 May 21, 2008
when are we going to understand that water is precious.....MONEY is all our county and cities care about, they don't care about the citizens. Someone has its hand in Niagara's pockets.
Loco

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#4 May 21, 2008
I'll bet Stivender has something to do with this.
beckster

Ocala, FL

#5 May 21, 2008
Never buy another bottle of their water again and pass the word - quickly! It is a bad habit we need to break and one putting our ground water and future needs at risk now. If the government won't stop the madness, we the consumers can.
beckster

Ocala, FL

#6 May 21, 2008
Which by the way, Niagra bottles all the water for Costco, Wal Mart and many other stores with the stores own label. Do the research. Get a Brita filter and save yourself big $$ and our groundwater.
Weary Floridian

Orlando, FL

#7 May 21, 2008
The biggest lie told in modern times is that our tap water is unsafe. On the contrary, tap water is the safest source for clean, drinkable water. No need for filters, and no need for plastic bottles.

We have become victims of predatory advertising, mixed with a fad involving walking around with a clear plastic bottle of water. Break the habit and buy a reusable water bottle, filling it from the source.

This story would be different if all the water drawn from our source was consumed in Florida. However, the water is drawn from here, and shipped all over the country without a tax benefit or payment of any kind for the resource. Florida loses and big business wins. This is only made possible because appointed officials of the different water management districts are not held accountable.

When you say follow the money, you are spot on. However it is hard to follow money that is passed under the table.
kmjn

Carrollton, TX

#8 May 21, 2008
Weary Floridian wrote:
The biggest lie told in modern times is that our tap water is unsafe. On the contrary, tap water is the safest source for clean, drinkable water. No need for filters, and no need for plastic bottles.
We have become victims of predatory advertising, mixed with a fad involving walking around with a clear plastic bottle of water. Break the habit and buy a reusable water bottle, filling it from the source.
This story would be different if all the water drawn from our source was consumed in Florida. However, the water is drawn from here, and shipped all over the country without a tax benefit or payment of any kind for the resource. Florida loses and big business wins. This is only made possible because appointed officials of the different water management districts are not held accountable.
When you say follow the money, you are spot on. However it is hard to follow money that is passed under the table.
Well said! This problem needs to be addressed on the state level. If we could get a state law passed on restricting the export of water from the aquifer, that would help. We also need a state-wide bottle bill. Returnable bottles with a deposit would greatly reduce the empty container problem that is now wasting resources and filling up the landfills. Plastic is made of pterolem. The current recycling pickup program is grossly inefficient. I agree with the earlier comment about just filter your own tap water and take a re-usable bottle with you.
kmjn

Carrollton, TX

#9 May 21, 2008
Bottled water is just a big ripoff. Zephyrhills bottling plant uses City of Casselberry utilities for most of their sales. The plant is located just off 17-92, across from city hall, north of Target, west of the city water tower. The 'deepest source in Florida' they advertise is the city's 3,600 foot deep well located to the south on SR 436.
Water for the people

Winter Garden, FL

#13 May 21, 2008
But guess what????nobody says anything....is not in the media, the media does not amke a big deal, they don't care. They car about stupid crap that has no impact but they are not willing to rock the boat and make our legislators accountable mean while lets issue permits for 500.00 dollars and extract millions os gallons of water a month and sell then in bottles 8 oz at 1.29...or better of lets get mad because we pay .91 cents per thousands gallons of water at home so we can put it on our St agustine......better solution have people buy water in bottles at sams or anywhere to put in their lawns....how much longer would it take for people to change their maind...goverment needs to take action. Our elective officials need to work in our interest not their own.
Understand the true Issue

United States

#14 May 21, 2008
Our water is a precious resource,however how much water do the local orchards and golf courses utilize? It's a fraction of what companies like Nestle, Silver Springs and Niagara consume. We need jobs in the area to stimulate our deprived economy.
Another Idea

Eddyville, KY

#15 May 21, 2008
Save our water wrote:
when are we going to understand that water is precious.....MONEY is all our county and cities care about, they don't care about the citizens. Someone has its hand in Niagara's pockets.
Cities and counties don't have any authority to grant a consumptive use permit to take groundwater or surface water. That power is in the hands of the water management districts in Florida, and the boards of those water management districts are appointed by the Governor of this state. Contact the Governor's office and tell him to recall this board.
Richard

Euless, TX

#16 May 22, 2008
The answer is very simple
Florida is running out of WATER
Why do people buy bottled water ?
Fill your bottle form the tap or boil the water from the tap,
guess what, you have pure water
Isn't that amazing
Obama no

Lady Lake, FL

#17 May 22, 2008
Understand the true Issue wrote:
Our water is a precious resource,however how much water do the local orchards and golf courses utilize? It's a fraction of what companies like Nestle, Silver Springs and Niagara consume. We need jobs in the area to stimulate our deprived economy.
We don't have orchards in Florida.
RLS

Orlando, FL

#18 May 22, 2008
Great idea bring a water plant to central florida when we are in a drought condition, wild fires flaring up & lakes & canals ( Lake Harris Chain) is almost at a all time low.what kind of elected officials do we have in office ?
MARK FALLACE

Orlando, FL

#19 May 22, 2008
AS A RESEDENT OF LAKE PANASOFFKEE I AM APPALLED WITH THE CRIMINAL ACTIONS OF SWIFTMUD (SOUTHWEST WATER MANAGEMENT). THEY CONTINUE TO DESTROY OUR LAKE WITH NO REGUARDS OR CARE AS TO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR US THE CITIZENS.
THIS GROUP OF CRIMINALS NEED TO BE DISBANDED AND CHARGED WITH THE ENVIORMENTAL CRIMES THEY HAVE COMMITED.
WHY DO THEY WANT TO DESTROY OUR LAKE? DO THEY WANT TO DESTROY OUR PROPERTY VALUE SO THEY CAN BUY IT AT A CHEAP PRICE? SINCE THEY CAN'T JUST TAKE IT THROUGH EMINENT DOMAIN AND GIVE IT TO A PRIVATE COMPANY ANYMORE; BUT EVEN THEN THEY HAVE TO GIVE US "FAIR MARKET VALUE" SO BY RUINING THE LAKE THEY LOWER THE VALUE OF OUR HOMES. IS THIS THEIR PLAN?
YES NEW JOBS ARE GREAT BUT NOT AT THE EXPENCE OF THE ENVIORMENT, AND NOT FOR THE PROFIT OF SWIFTMUD.
THIS STATE BELONGS TO US NOT SWIFTMUD IT IS NOT THEIRS TO DESTROY.
THIS IS A "LAW & ORDER" STATE THROW THESE CROOKS IN JAIL BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.
MARK FALLACE

Orlando, FL

#20 May 22, 2008
I just noticed that this site has me listed as living in Leesburg, I don't. I do live in the next county over (West) in Sumter County Fla. in the small Town of Lake Panasoffkee, it's located betweem Wildwood & Bushnell.
I also want to set the record straight "I AM NOT" some Greenpeace, PETA, tree hugger.
I HUNT every chance I get, I FISH almost everyday,and I vote REPUBLICAN.
Am I an Environmentalist? Well if they are allowed to destroy the enviroment where will I hunt and fish?
Get Swiftmud under control they only operate for their own best intrest not ours.
I think it's time to let Tallahassee "We don't want our TAX dollars going to support these Environmental Criminals!"
"I VOTE THEREFORE MY OPINION MATTERS"
MARK FALLACE

Orlando, FL

#21 May 22, 2008
That was between Wildwood & Bushnell and I left out ...time to let Tallahassee KNOW "We Don't...
But I am so outraged by this that my thoughts are coming too fast to get it typed as slow as I type.
"VOTE IT'S HOW WE LET THE GOVERNMENT KNOW WHAT WE WANT!"
They are our "Employees" and they can be "FIRED"
MARK FALLACE

Orlando, FL

#22 May 22, 2008
Obama no wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't have orchards in Florida.
What about the fishing lodges that closed because nobody fishes at a dry lake; and the other jobs that depend on tourists, don't their jobs count.
This is selling or lives to make Swiftmud rich.
Montverder

Apopka, FL

#23 May 23, 2008
I cant even water my lawn more than 2 days a week legally , but I have to watch it die and will have to replace it in a few years. Yet an outside company can come in , get a permit and remove millions of gallons of water from the LOCAL aquifer depleting local wells dry and its perfectly legal AND make profits off of it. And to boot shipp the water elsewhere. Lets not forget Bella Collina and its golf course who are permitted to suck thousands of gallons a day for the benefit of who ? I dont think I have seen a single golfer on that golf course every time I drive by it for the past year. And lets not forget its not even open to the public -its a private elitist entity consuming a coveted precious local resource. People its time to protect our local water resources and keep them local - benefitting locals. Where will Niagara or Bella Collina be when we need to build or expand our current treatment plants due to increased demand caused partailly by them ? Your bills will go up as a result to fund treatment plant expansion. Will they offer to help defray some of those costs directly related to their consumption ? Say no to Niagara.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montverde Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yalaha Music Thread (Feb '16) 21 hr Musikologist 3
News School supplies, fun offered at back-to-school ... Aug 4 anonymous 1
Clermont Dairy Queen (Oct '11) Jun '17 Gary Winthorp 2
News Bills seek to ban immigrant a sanctuariesa in F... (Feb '17) Jun '17 Old Man 4
Winter Garden racism (Mar '08) May '17 Janssenb 14
Jennifer Bucholz May '17 Suri 1
Gov. Scott Stop Illegal Gang Stalking and Crook... May '17 Gang stalked in LC 3

Montverde Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montverde Mortgages