Who courted whom? New accusations in ...

Who courted whom? New accusations in battle over bottler

There are 48 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Aug 24, 2008, titled Who courted whom? New accusations in battle over bottler. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Miffed that the Metro Orlando Economic Development Commission lured Niagara Bottling to a site near Groveland, County Commissioner Jennifer Hill wants to cut Lake's contribution to the agency and use the money ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
What a joke

Decatur, GA

#1 Aug 24, 2008
Now we get a theatrical production between corporate greed mongers on one side and corrupt politicians on the other pointing fingers at each other and calling the other side names. And the citizens are left in between with nothing to do but watch and cry. Wow, what a country we have become.
concerned parent

Center Hill, FL

#2 Aug 24, 2008
we have become a country of clowns, who attempt to govern the normal people.. how can a normal person listen or even respect a clown who does not take responsility for thier actions.. we need to just gert rid of all these public servants.. and if they really wanna serve the public , them let serve for free, without a wage...lets see how many would really stay in their county commisions, board of directors, and all those elected offices..
time to put the clowns in the circus..
confusion

Apopka, FL

#3 Aug 24, 2008
what does Lake Economic Developer Dottie Keedy do for her $100K+ job a year then if the EDC of Metro Orlando is doing the same thing?
Somewhere this is not adding up to anything but citizens money being wasted
Enough Already

Windermere, FL

#4 Aug 24, 2008
confusion wrote:
what does Lake Economic Developer Dottie Keedy do for her $100K+ job a year then if the EDC of Metro Orlando is doing the same thing?
Very good question. Notice her name hasn't been brought up in any of this. Why, exactly, do we have and Economic Development office and we have to pay an outside agency?
June

AOL

#5 Aug 24, 2008
Backing off, are you? I hope every single official who had the slightest connection with this fiasco gets the message at the polls: GO HOME AND STAY THERE.
Listening, Lake county voters??
gjv

United States

#6 Aug 24, 2008
Lake County and Central Florida are benefitting from a new enviornmentally safe and citizen beneficial business. Industrial growth is very important to our region. And when you can attract a business that provides above average paying jobs and delivers a needed quality product to people,it's a win win situation.
Conservative Republican

Cocoa, FL

#7 Aug 24, 2008
Enough Already wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good question. Notice her name hasn't been brought up in any of this. Why, exactly, do we have and Economic Development office and we have to pay an outside agency?
This a prime example of why higher taxes are an abomination, an afront to a responsible budgeting process. Higher taxes? He*l no, lower overhead. Get rid of excess government workers or do not issue contracts to private business for the same service.
Miller is a schill

Orlando, FL

#8 Aug 24, 2008
Miller is a lapdog for developers...bark bark. He's Catherine Hanson with pants.
Unbelievable

Summerfield, FL

#9 Aug 24, 2008
Maybe we should let Niagra just bottle up the recent Faye Floodwaters and send them on their way :O)
Marianne

Sanford, FL

#10 Aug 24, 2008
confusion wrote:
what does Lake Economic Developer Dottie Keedy do for her $100K+ job a year then if the EDC of Metro Orlando is doing the same thing?
Somewhere this is not adding up to anything but citizens money being wasted
The EDC hasn't done a damn thing to encourage development. Ms Keedy has made great inroads into bringing in new business. This one misrepresented itself as a 'family owned' small bottling company. No matter what, it is still brining in jobs and can be a springboard to further development.
Hopefully, Ms Keedy will leave "Mayberry" and it's assassins behind and move on. The Goobers in Lake County deserve the past they so badly want to keep.....trailer parks, tire stores, mini-warehouses. Yee-haw.
Give them Support

Ocala, FL

#11 Aug 24, 2008
Marianne wrote:
<quoted text>
The EDC hasn't done a damn thing to encourage development..... This one misrepresented itself as a 'family owned' small bottling company.
Prove that it is not family owned. How do you pit them against 'big corporations'? They are very honorable and the company takes great care of its communities and workers. I think that this message is very lost in all discussion. They have been very friendly and gratious during all of this uproar with both supporters and non-supporters.
nole boy

Sorrento, FL

#12 Aug 24, 2008
Your joking right? Comm. Hill lies and Miller is the villian. Check 2/19/08 comm minutes where Hill said she didnt know "who" or "what" was applying for the incentives until she read it in the paper[earliest article in either paper on Oct. 12}. Yet she finally admitted last week that she knew it was a bottled water company after denying it for over 5 months. And you have a problem with Miller? Good one.
Miller is a schill wrote:
Miller is a lapdog for developers...bark bark. He's Catherine Hanson with pants.
Less Government

Ocala, FL

#14 Aug 24, 2008
Take away paychecks for School Board Members and County Commissioners. THEN and only then will you get HONEST people wanting to do a honest days work. It will keep them from pandering to the 'minority that shows up to commision meetings'. You want to serve the people? DO it becuase you want too... and not for a paycheck, retirement, insurance or prestige. Do it for free. That is how to keep SPECIAL INTERESTS out of government. Do what is absolutely right, for facts and not for pandering to get re-elected to support your career in Government. There are thousands who would like to serve and not worry about the extravagant compensation packages these folks get.
DPack

Saint Petersburg, FL

#15 Aug 24, 2008
Less Government wrote:
Take away paychecks for School Board Members and County Commissioners. THEN and only then will you get HONEST people wanting to do a honest days work. It will keep them from pandering to the 'minority that shows up to commision meetings'. You want to serve the people? DO it becuase you want too... and not for a paycheck, retirement, insurance or prestige. Do it for free. That is how to keep SPECIAL INTERESTS out of government. Do what is absolutely right, for facts and not for pandering to get re-elected to support your career in Government. There are thousands who would like to serve and not worry about the extravagant compensation packages these folks get.
Are you running? Or are you suggesting one of the other thousands of folks do it on your behalf for free? Even in politics the adage holds true, you get what you pay for! Most are not upset that SB or County Commissioners should be paid to do what has become a full time duty on behalf of citizens. However we should all object to situations such as these where common sense on behalf of the commissioners and others that feed on the public dollar be taken to task for their ineffective management style.
James

Sanford, FL

#16 Aug 24, 2008
I'm not sure what the problem is. A company was actually attracted to Lake County, provides jobs and will (or would have) encourage other companies to do the same.
It seems that the small town mentality of Lake County can't accept any businesses that don't involve elevated trucks, 4 wheelers, or guns.
What terrible, evil thing has this company done to invoke such hatred?
Oh yeah, they use water....but in Lake County, it's okay for landowners to have totally uncapped wells that spew 100k gallons per day out and its okay for neighborhoods to have endless septic tanks that drain into lakes and the aquifer.
I guess Niagra is evil because they employee people who have all of their teeth and don't live in doublewides.
Lake County is a joke. Maybe Niagra will move to another, more friendly area and leave Lake to 'cool hand Luke".
Just stay put with your trailer parks, strip centers and body shops. It's what you need.
Jack Ewing

Watkinsville, GA

#17 Aug 24, 2008
It makes a lot more sense to let Niagara provide 200 jobs for Lake County by letting them bottle water to drink than for homeowners to dump good drinking water on their landscape. If Niagara didn't bottle the water to drink, people would be using the same water to drink out of their facsets.
Less Government

Ocala, FL

#18 Aug 24, 2008
All I'm trying to say is that when you pay people the money they are getting for 'public service' is out of line. They make this a full time job for the perks only. When it truly comes down to issues that really matter they tend to jump on the side that is screaming, which is usually the minority. Typically the minority screamers have nothing better to do, than finding a cause for themselves.

You can take alot of politics out of the commission and board by not paying them. This is when you get them tryiing to appease every little cause that comes before them. Trying to "keep" their job.
Franklin

Sanford, FL

#19 Aug 24, 2008
Less Government wrote:
All I'm trying to say is that when you pay people the money they are getting for 'public service' is out of line. They make this a full time job for the perks only. When it truly comes down to issues that really matter they tend to jump on the side that is screaming, which is usually the minority. Typically the minority screamers have nothing better to do, than finding a cause for themselves.
You can take alot of politics out of the commission and board by not paying them. This is when you get them tryiing to appease every little cause that comes before them. Trying to "keep" their job.
You are right. Of course the politicians in the small towns like Eustis, Tavares, and Mt. Dora, get about 100 bucks a month and still go nuts trying to keep their positions. These types of people are losers in real life and tend to get overblown egos when elected. With that comes the micro-managing of the city/county employees...who actually do try to do a good job but are gun-shy from having a supervisor, manager, city manager, and each city/county commissioner telling them what to do.
And we wonder why government can't get anything done.
Local govt. would be better off with no elected idiots and just a city or county manager who would be responsive to the community and not afraid of the political buffoons.
Hypocrite

Belmont, CA

#20 Aug 24, 2008
Water for drinking is the first and best use of water including that in the Florida Aquifer; which belongs to all citizens of Florida and flows through 3 states. Is this about Lake County histrionics?

Niagra is always identified as a 'California' company; So hypocritical since most of Lake is now from the MidWest. What are you implying? What about Cutrale, the Leesburg orange juice processor? They are from Brazil. Oh, the horror of it all!
Are the adults in Lake so Petty that they will purposely waste water because 'someone else (in their opinion) wastes water. Gee, I've had that conversation with my teenagers.

In the 60's we outdoor workers would take a case of beer in an icebox for the day. Then in the 70s and 80s, when colas became so cheap, we switched to them. Now, after being convinced that beer and cola is not as healthy we switched to putting a case of bottled water in the ice cooler.
Whats with you folks?
Theodore

Sanford, FL

#21 Aug 24, 2008
Hypocrite wrote:
Water for drinking is the first and best use of water including that in the Florida Aquifer; which belongs to all citizens of Florida and flows through 3 states. Is this about Lake County histrionics?
Niagra is always identified as a 'California' company; So hypocritical since most of Lake is now from the MidWest. What are you implying? What about Cutrale, the Leesburg orange juice processor? They are from Brazil. Oh, the horror of it all!
Are the adults in Lake so Petty that they will purposely waste water because 'someone else (in their opinion) wastes water. Gee, I've had that conversation with my teenagers.
In the 60's we outdoor workers would take a case of beer in an icebox for the day. Then in the 70s and 80s, when colas became so cheap, we switched to them. Now, after being convinced that beer and cola is not as healthy we switched to putting a case of bottled water in the ice cooler.
Whats with you folks?
What's with them is that they are either transplants from Ohio or Lake County born country bumpkins. They don't understand anything that involves industry, economics, geology, or much else. What they do know is local politics, klan meetings, and how to screw anyone with "Big Town" thinking. Lake County is the laughing stock of the state(as well as the armpit). Most of the "citizenry" don't want economic development but they do want high paying jobs. They don't want economic development but they do want the services that a decent tax base can provide. A few of them want to play "Big City" but don't quite know how and when a moderately sized company such as Niagra locates there, they squawk about the water loss(while watering their St. Augustine lawns)which causes the local politicians to do a dog and pony show.
The opening of something like Niagra in Orange or Pinellas County would barely have drawn a yawn.
In Gooberville, however, it's the equivalent of the aliens landing in "Independence Day".
It's a pathetic sideshow and will be for a long, long time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montverde Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Ocoee Observer (Jul '10) Oct '17 Donna Kelly 4
Bi gay clermont minneola florida (May '16) Oct '17 Keith 2
where did chiropractor move to? Sep '17 MrBridges 1
Pest Control In Winter Garden www.orlandopestco... Sep '17 Eded 1
Mature, open minded adults, activities (May '15) Sep '17 MerrySm 3
Where to watch the sunset in clermont (Jan '15) Sep '17 Jack89 4
Yalaha Music Thread (Feb '16) Aug '17 Musikologist 3

Montverde Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montverde Mortgages