No criminal charges filed against teacher videotaped wrestling ...

There are 20 comments on the May 27, 2008, Orlando Sentinel story titled No criminal charges filed against teacher videotaped wrestling .... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Prosecutors will not file criminal charges against a Clermont Middle School science teacher who was videotaped wrestling with a student in class, Asst State Attorney Bill Gladson said today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Doug

Ocoee, FL

#1 May 27, 2008
Finally - a prosecutor with brains to determine the difference between a teacher bonding with students and a crime. I am not for crime, but a person that has been a coach wrestling with kids to detract them from real fighting - I hope we have more adults that care about kids.

I hope the district shows a brain as well.
sigh

Boston, MA

#2 May 27, 2008
what a relief! now we can all focus on more important Non Issues such as lapel pins and religious affiliation.
carrie

Kissimmee, FL

#3 May 27, 2008
The teacher sounds he's acting more like a student. He should have realized that this would have come to bite him in the butt. What if one of the students gotten seriously hurt? To bond with students doesn't have to be physical, just intellectual. If this teacher were to continue teaching in the school, there would have been more inappropriate behavior on both students and teacher. I hope he moves on to another place and has learned a lesson from all of this and won't let something like this happen again.
Fat Albert

Kissimmee, FL

#4 May 27, 2008
Let this grown man get his rocks off and humiliate a teenage boy and get away with it. Great call. If it had been a female student, the teacher would be under the prison. We need to stop giving preference to homosexual teachers and make them obey by the same code of ethics as straight teachers.
TheRunningNurse

Orlando, FL

#5 May 27, 2008
Fat Albert wrote:
Let this grown man get his rocks off and humiliate a teenage boy and get away with it. Great call. If it had been a female student, the teacher would be under the prison. We need to stop giving preference to homosexual teachers and make them obey by the same code of ethics as straight teachers.
Just because wrestling with men is something that arouses YOU, doesn't make it a homosexual act.
Wrestling is a sport...sure there are some pervs out there such as yourself who fantasize about it.......

Glad to see a proscecutor with a brain. Now, what about the student who was using their cellphone in class ???????
Just Passing Time

Boca Raton, FL

#6 May 27, 2008
Was he wearing a singlet?
sigh

Boston, MA

#7 May 27, 2008
Fat Albert wrote:
On that note, we should stop giving preference to FAT people and make them obey the same weight watching ethics as skinny people. What a tool.
perry mason

Orlando, FL

#9 May 27, 2008
thank goodness they have the good judgment to leave this alone. no crime occurred here.
Mirko Crocop

Orlando, FL

#10 May 27, 2008
Wow...we live in such a Nanny State these days. No one would've ever thought twice about this when I was a kid.
A Sad Day

Ocala, FL

#11 May 27, 2008
It is a sad day and sad commentator on the Florida education "system" when a good-hearted teacher can't horse aroung with the boys in his class that seldom if ever even have a man in their lives to take a few minutes to "show them who is boss" -- just goof around abit. I remember my 9th grade social studies teacher whom was also an ex-marine and then wrestling coach. I thought that I was just sooo smart and tough so when I grabbed Coach Friend in a hammerlock behind his back with all my strength I thought "boy this will show him". Well to make a long story short and as they used to say in the old WWII movies, the next thing I knew I was on my back looking up at blue sky and all I could hear were bells ringing where there were none. Morale of story, after that you never saw a better and more respectful student in your life, for a few weeks at least, BUT, I learned my limits in a hurry and will never forget Coach William Friend. He didn't need to act tough cause he was and one hell of a man!
hmmmmmmm

United States

#12 May 27, 2008
All of you who thought this about pervs must really have some "mental issues" This was horseplay pure and simple. The teacher should be punished for wrestling with the kid in class, but crimal charges are rediculous ! Glad that someone who works in Law enforcement had some common sense, what are they gonna charge him with "Wrestling with intent to Pin"

Florida is so full of idiots, bigots, and racists it makes me sick! If you need to see who they are just read the comments above mine, you'll be able to figure it our real quick.

I am going to go call U haul and move away from this crappy state!
snitches

Orlando, FL

#13 May 27, 2008
This wasn't a matter of the prosecutor deciding whether the teacher was "bonding" with the students or not. It was a matter of whether there was a criminal charge to be made. I've never thought there was any indication from the video that any criminal activity was going on, but I do think that the teacher was stepping over the boundaries which exist in school system policies and in state law for both the teacher's safety and for the safety and education of the students. No matter how many posters come on this board to tell how important it is for a male teacher to wrestle with young students to make "men" out of them (huh?), the simple fact is this: there is a time and place for most everything, and the science class was not the time or the place for such behavior. Let the teacher play at wrestling outside of class with the prior approval of parents and administration and in a safe arena with mats and floor space. He can then prove to the smaller males how much more powerful and skilled he is than they. Hopefully, if this teacher continues to teach, he will use a little more common sense in his dealings with children who are physically and emotionally immature. His administrators should provide further training so he understands the possible repercussions of such poor judgment.
Naitve Floridian

Phoenix, AZ

#14 May 27, 2008
lab-rat wrote:
Some guy dry-humps a kid and gets away with it while the blonde teacher has normal sexual relations with one and gets in trouble.
Something is wrong with this picture.
You are a complete moron for this post. Try and get a life.
Gnostic

Tampa, FL

#15 May 27, 2008
Kids these days NEED more beat-downs. We should hire more wrestling-teachers, and a new curriculum:

Day 1: Get CRUSHED.

Day 2: Sit up straight, shut your mouth, and open your book to page 1.
MJDDJM

Miami, FL

#16 May 27, 2008
Just Passing Time wrote:
Was he wearing a singlet?
No, a "doublelet"
Orlando Moron

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 May 27, 2008
hmmmmmmm wrote:
Florida is so full of idiots, bigots, and racists it makes me sick! If you need to see who they are just read the comments above mine, you'll be able to figure it our real quick.
I am going to go call U haul and move away from this crappy state!
When you find utopia, let me know. Its not just Florida, but the Earth that is full of them.
Truly concerned

Orlando, FL

#18 May 27, 2008
Fat Albert wrote:
Since when does homosexuality = wrestling?

I had no idea this teacher was gay, I guess it takes one to know one..
Bittersweet

Winter Springs, FL

#19 May 27, 2008
carrie wrote:
The teacher sounds he's acting more like a student. He should have realized that this would have come to bite him in the butt. What if one of the students gotten seriously hurt? To bond with students doesn't have to be physical, just intellectual. If this teacher were to continue teaching in the school, there would have been more inappropriate behavior on both students and teacher. I hope he moves on to another place and has learned a lesson from all of this and won't let something like this happen again.
I agree, and lots of people screamed at me on here saying that the only way to bond with students is in ways like this. I hope those people are not teachers, or, like this guy, they won't be around long.
snitches

Orlando, FL

#20 May 27, 2008
A Sad Day wrote:
It is a sad day and sad commentator on the Florida education "system" when a good-hearted teacher can't horse aroung with the boys in his class that seldom if ever even have a man in their lives to take a few minutes to "show them who is boss" -- just goof around abit. I remember my 9th grade social studies teacher whom was also an ex-marine and then wrestling coach. I thought that I was just sooo smart and tough so when I grabbed Coach Friend in a hammerlock behind his back with all my strength I thought "boy this will show him". Well to make a long story short and as they used to say in the old WWII movies, the next thing I knew I was on my back looking up at blue sky and all I could hear were bells ringing where there were none. Morale of story, after that you never saw a better and more respectful student in your life, for a few weeks at least, BUT, I learned my limits in a hurry and will never forget Coach William Friend. He didn't need to act tough cause he was and one hell of a man!
These stories always sound so heart-warming - when they end up with the student not being permanently harmed. If things had not gone so well for you, you might be writing a different opinion from the confines of your wheelchair. I'm glad your coach's administration of a concussion taught you a lesson, and he may have been justified legally in defending himself from an unprovoked physical attack from you. If a student attacked me from behind I would fight against him with all my might. That's different than orchestrating a match between teacher and student, as well as student to student, with onlookers, desks arranged in a circle, and a throng of cheering students.
lab-rat

Pompano Beach, FL

#21 May 27, 2008
Naitve Floridian wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a complete moron for this post. Try and get a life.
LOL, yeah I'm a complete moron, but you're at least a partial one, Mr. "Naitve"...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montverde Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rattlesnakes Apr 23 the circus is in ... 1
He's back...... Apr 23 the circus is in ... 1
Debate: Marijuana - Clermont, FL (Sep '10) Apr 21 Regular Adult 13
Review: Raphael Acupuncture Clinic Apr 10 lopaz0212000 5
Where to watch the sunset in clermont Apr 10 Kay 3
News Witness told deputies double shooting near UCF ... Apr 10 _Learsi 1
Looking for people that live at Winter Garden V... (Apr '10) Mar '15 Randy 3
More from around the web

Montverde People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE