Tax Bill-a Collina

Tax Bill-a Collina

There are 53 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 26, 2007, titled Tax Bill-a Collina. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

When developer Bobby Ginn first shared plans for a new ultra-upscale community on the southwest shore of Lake Apopka, buyers flocked from around the world to pay a small fortune for a slice of his ambitious ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Dare to be stupid!”

Since: Dec 06

Groveland, Florida

#46 May 28, 2007
who cares wrote:
most of you posting on here are morons who dont understand what is going on here.
these people bought these properties for half of what it is now worth. they have 2 years to pay their property taxes before they lose their lots. the penalties they will end up shelling out and interest is just like taking out a regular loan. in 2 years they can turn around and sell the lot for 3 or 4 times what they paid and easily repay their interest.
its a brilliant strategy for this specific circumstance.
Correction, they brought it for what it is worth and now it is appraised for taxes at twice what it is worth. No way that lnd is worth over a mill for one acrea lot!
Tohan

Dover, NJ

#47 May 28, 2007
who cares wrote:
most of you posting on here are morons who dont understand what is going on here.
these people bought these properties for half of what it is now worth. they have 2 years to pay their property taxes before they lose their lots. the penalties they will end up shelling out and interest is just like taking out a regular loan. in 2 years they can turn around and sell the lot for 3 or 4 times what they paid and easily repay their interest.
its a brilliant strategy for this specific circumstance.
If that's a "brilliant" strategy I can imagine what your investments look like.I'd rather think you have none of those and work for the government.
Produce Pete

Clermont, FL

#49 May 28, 2007
Someone that needs a '2 year loan' to pay their property taxes, and rationalizes the penalties as 'interest' is woefully overextended. Not surprising since so many massively overpaid for environmentally nasty land at the height of the inflated, speculator-fueled real estate frenzy. The developer is having the last laugh on this one.
dumb new message board

Lakeland, FL

#50 May 28, 2007
Grandma Fudd wrote:
Aren't we all now seeing the folly of the Democratic mentality that raising taxes of any kind guarantees increased collections ? Whether it be income tax or property tax -- as you raise it, people will take any measures they have at hand to avoid it or just walk away and leave you with nothing at all. We need to look at the needs of the taxing district and divide those needs equally amongst all its inhabitants equally and get away from this notion that just because someone is deemed to be "rich" in our eyes, that we have any right at all to make him pay multiple times what we make anyone else pay. This was and is still today the cornerestone of Communism that we pretend to deplore, "From each according to their ability to pay, and to each according to their need". Redistribution of wealth is all it amounts to: Take from those who work and produce and give to those who choose not to. It's a lousy idea, it's doomed to failure and it's going to cripple and destroy development and investment. When you buy a piece of land and build a house on it, you should not face having to pay a lifetime mortgage payment to the government just to hang onto it long after you''ve paid off the mortgage to the seller.
It wasn't the democrats that drove the real estate sky high by speculative buying & grabbing everything up & trying to flip at an exhorbitant profit. When house value goes up, so do taxes.
Leonard

Apopka, FL

#51 May 28, 2007
Taxman

Let me tell you how it will be,
Thereís one for you, nineteen for me,
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
Should five per cent appear too small,
Be thankful I donít take it all,
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
If you drive a car, Iíll tax the street,
If you try to sit, Iíll tax your seat,
If you get too cold, Iíll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, Iíll tax your feet.
Taxman.
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
Donít ask me what I want it for
(Taxman Mister Wilson)
If you donít want to pay some more
(Taxman Mister Heath),
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
Now my advice for those who die,
Declare the pennies on your eyes,
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
And youíre working for no-one but me,
Taxman.
Thanks George Could not have said it better.
Orlando OverTaxed

Winter Haven, FL

#52 May 28, 2007
WTF wrote:
Every time that I have closed on a property I made sure of what ALL future expenses were going to be. If the taxes or the HOA dues were to much then I didn't buy. Theses people bought beyond their means, its not the goverments fault.Proerty taxes will reduced as values are reduce, that is econmics 101.
Property values never get reduced, and further, a lot of people (like myself) move into a property where the taxes are $3000 a year and expect it to increase $800 after the assessment. Instead, they increased it $2200. This home was built 4 years ago.

If Lake County could get by with collecting $3,000 2 years ago on my property, they certainly don't need $5200 this year. Yet, my next door neighbor pays $1100 a year.

Government Greed at its finest.
Question

Lake Mary, FL

#53 May 28, 2007
Leonard wrote:
Taxman
Let me tell you how it will be,
Thereís one for you, nineteen for me,
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
Should five per cent appear too small,
Be thankful I donít take it all,
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
If you drive a car, Iíll tax the street,
If you try to sit, Iíll tax your seat,
If you get too cold, Iíll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, Iíll tax your feet.
Taxman.
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
Donít ask me what I want it for
(Taxman Mister Wilson)
If you donít want to pay some more
(Taxman Mister Heath),
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
Now my advice for those who die,
Declare the pennies on your eyes,
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
And youíre working for no-one but me,
Taxman.
Thanks George Could not have said it better.
So sad but so true. You end up feeling canibalized
MannyG

AOL

#54 May 28, 2007
The Stamp Act of 1765, the Townshend Act of 1767, the Tea Tax Act of 1773, the Sugar Act of 1764, the Currency Act of 1764, The Quartering Act of 1765, etc., etc. These are taxes and the reasons why a young nation rose in arms against the governing bodies when the hard working colonists could no longer bear the burden of so much taxation.
I rest my case.
Orlando OverTaxed

Winter Haven, FL

#55 May 28, 2007
Manny G you are right on.
Everybody Stand Up

Lake Mary, FL

#56 May 29, 2007
If they do not fix the property tax holdup now we the people need to standup in mass, by the thousands and refuse to pay.
I do not care if you are rich or poor the property tax syatem is broken and unfair.
It is the system/method that is broken not the actions of any property owner.
Goverment is out of control.
New Clermont Resident

Ocala, FL

#57 Jul 22, 2007
It has definitely been interesting reading all the negative comments about Clermont and Lake County. Everyone believes that their city is the best place to live. The funny thing is, while I like to visit Winter Park I wouldn't want to live there. It's too urban for me. Me and a few of my friends moved from Pembroke Pines (which is a suburb of Miami) to get away from the congestion and uncontrolled growth to Clermont which is much slower and family oriented. We have good schools and compared to other cities crime is low. In my opinion, to each his own. What's good for you may not be good for me and vice versa. I along with thousands of other Clermont residents am dead against another Walmart being built. What's wrong with that?!?!?!

“Dare to be stupid!”

Since: Dec 06

Groveland, Florida

#58 Jul 23, 2007
New Clermont Resident wrote:
It has definitely been interesting reading all the negative comments about Clermont and Lake County. Everyone believes that their city is the best place to live. The funny thing is, while I like to visit Winter Park I wouldn't want to live there. It's too urban for me. Me and a few of my friends moved from Pembroke Pines (which is a suburb of Miami) to get away from the congestion and uncontrolled growth to Clermont which is much slower and family oriented. We have good schools and compared to other cities crime is low. In my opinion, to each his own. What's good for you may not be good for me and vice versa. I along with thousands of other Clermont residents am dead against another Walmart being built. What's wrong with that?!?!?!
At least in South lake people can still afford land and horses!
Mary Jane Green

Kissimmee, FL

#59 Jul 23, 2007
New Clermont Resident wrote:
Me and a few of my friends moved from Pembroke Pines (which is a suburb of Miami) to get away from the congestion and uncontrolled growth to Clermont which is much slower and family oriented.
Not for long. Thousands of people just lke you, and their friends, are packing themselves into Clermont - which used to be a nice, small town -- and turning it into a cookie-cutter rooftop suburb filled with people that don't know each other or the area, people that will bring with them congestion, uncontrolled growth, problems and crime. Then when Clermont is ruined the transients will move on to the next town - like locusts - perhaps near Gainesville, next time - and devour and landscape leaving something resembling Pembroke Pines.

Towns that are long-since urbanized and developed have a distinct advantage. They're either planned or built-out, and growth management and zoning practice is a time based system that refines over generations.

It is the newly developing "greener pastures" that transients invade that are doomed to rapid and often unwanted (by longtime residents) change. Places like Clermont stand to lose a lot from being 'loved to death' by too many people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montverde Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News School supplies, fun offered at back-to-school ... Aug 4 anonymous 1
Clermont Dairy Queen (Oct '11) Jun '17 Gary Winthorp 2
News Bills seek to ban immigrant a sanctuariesa in F... (Feb '17) Jun '17 Old Man 4
Winter Garden racism (Mar '08) May '17 Janssenb 14
Jennifer Bucholz May '17 Suri 1
Gov. Scott Stop Illegal Gang Stalking and Crook... May '17 Gang stalked in LC 3
Canal cleaning in Yalaha! May '17 Hibiscus 1

Montverde Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montverde Mortgages