Tax Bill-a Collina

Tax Bill-a Collina

There are 53 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 26, 2007, titled Tax Bill-a Collina. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

When developer Bobby Ginn first shared plans for a new ultra-upscale community on the southwest shore of Lake Apopka, buyers flocked from around the world to pay a small fortune for a slice of his ambitious ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Grandma Fudd

Orlando, FL

#1 May 26, 2007
Aren't we all now seeing the folly of the Democratic mentality that raising taxes of any kind guarantees increased collections ? Whether it be income tax or property tax -- as you raise it, people will take any measures they have at hand to avoid it or just walk away and leave you with nothing at all. We need to look at the needs of the taxing district and divide those needs equally amongst all its inhabitants equally and get away from this notion that just because someone is deemed to be "rich" in our eyes, that we have any right at all to make him pay multiple times what we make anyone else pay. This was and is still today the cornerestone of Communism that we pretend to deplore, "From each according to their ability to pay, and to each according to their need". Redistribution of wealth is all it amounts to: Take from those who work and produce and give to those who choose not to. It's a lousy idea, it's doomed to failure and it's going to cripple and destroy development and investment. When you buy a piece of land and build a house on it, you should not face having to pay a lifetime mortgage payment to the government just to hang onto it long after you''ve paid off the mortgage to the seller.
Real Estate Analyst

Orlando, FL

#2 May 26, 2007
This set of circumstances truly reveals that subdivision on the cesspool to be the most artifically-inflated, speculative piece of real estate boom/bust, snake-oil salesmanship in the entire area. Have they build the companion super WalMart yet? Maybe those deadbeat investors can save enough pennies to meet their tax obligations to the community ...

“Dare to be stupid!”

Since: Dec 06

Groveland, Florida

#5 May 26, 2007
Those greedy tax collectors, they pulled over 11 million dollars in taxes on that property before people even move in! Keep soaking people till everyone goes broke and complain when we try to correct the rediculaous tax rates. Just a few years ago that propery only brung in a couple of thousand dollars in taxes.

“Dare to be stupid!”

Groveland, Florida

#6 May 26, 2007
Rich people pay bills at the last minute when possible.
Many compaines pay 90 days net or longer.
Lazy Assessing

Sanford, FL

#7 May 26, 2007
The assessing practices in Florida are the laziest in the nation. Just because a bunch of fools are willing to pay out of sight prices for something does not mean it is worth that much. The assessors job is to weed through all the hipe. This Florida system of highest and best use value is unjust and the other method used "market value" is prone to manipulation by squeing the computer model used. Assessors are giving the budget commities all the extra milage they need to produce undeclared windfall budget growth. The broken system should be challenged in a court of law. This is taxation without representation and unequal treatment under the law. It will not be long before those skyhigh sales will be used for compareables to set your taxable property value. You will never own your own property is this state. This is not a Republican/Democrat issue it is a American property owner issue. Florida has succeeded in dividing and conquring the citizens of the State of Florida, the protected voters, special interest, save our homers, and tons of other special exemptions. It is a nightmare of unfair treatment. THE LAST TIME TAXABLE VALUES IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA WENT DOWN WAS 1931 AND IT TOOK 9 YEARS FOR PROPERTY TO REGAIN THE VALUE IT HAD IN 1930. Goverment greed is going to suck the well dry again and a lot of people who turn a blind but knowing eye now are going to suffer.

Sure wish these high rollers would use some of their extra cash is legally challenge this unfair system. If those that can pay but know it is unfair do so those that can't afford to fight unless united will never get out of the hole this place is in. Do not look to politicians to save you or you will die waiting. The trench out of which they feed is directly connected to your property.
Chris

Osteen, FL

#8 May 26, 2007
R.E.A., we are in agreement here! Overinflated, contrived-out-of-nothingness, "exclusive" subdivisions just can't pop up where a developer wants them to be! Whoever bought into this new-age FL swampland deal finally realized that, ahem, "Who the hell would pay millions to live in Clermont?!?!" Damn, go live somewhere considered a DESTINATION, a PLACE-TO-BE, not a place you are escaping from!!
WTF

West Monroe, LA

#9 May 26, 2007
Every time that I have closed on a property I made sure of what ALL future expenses were going to be. If the taxes or the HOA dues were to much then I didn't buy. Theses people bought beyond their means, its not the goverments fault.Proerty taxes will reduced as values are reduce, that is econmics 101.
Needed Reporters

Sanford, FL

#10 May 26, 2007
Property owner Volusia County owns 47,500 acres valued at 300,000,000 dollars pays 127,000 dollars in property taxes That is .000423% of vaue. The average protected home owner is paying 30 times that amount in property taxes on their asset. Leval playing field you bet ya. We need a news publication that has the guts to dig in to matters of this mature and let the chips fall where they may.

“Dare to be stupid!”

Groveland, Florida

#11 May 26, 2007
Chris wrote:
R.E.A., we are in agreement here! Overinflated, contrived-out-of-nothingness, "exclusive" subdivisions just can't pop up where a developer wants them to be! Whoever bought into this new-age FL swampland deal finally realized that, ahem, "Who the hell would pay millions to live in Clermont?!?!" Damn, go live somewhere considered a DESTINATION, a PLACE-TO-BE, not a place you are escaping from!!
You are not from Clermont. Some of the nicest veiws are in this Collina area. One day the lake also will be restored and it makes Orlandos lakes look like mud puddles. Plus the area has great bike trails and easy access to the turnpike.
WTF

West Monroe, LA

#12 May 26, 2007
I think you are having a pipe dream if you think Lk Apopka will ever be restored ( at least in the next 50 years.This lake has been pretty much written off till the smaller lakes in the area are restored....
garym1a2 wrote:
<quoted text>You are not from Clermont. Some of the nicest veiws are in this Collina area. One day the lake also will be restored and it makes Orlandos lakes look like mud puddles. Plus the area has great bike trails and easy access to the turnpike.
Cinco Toys

Orlando, FL

#13 May 26, 2007
garym1a2 wrote:
easy access to the turnpike.
Imagine that -- one of the project's great features is how easy it is to LEAVE to immeadiate area !! Hmmm...
celebrity 101

United States

#14 May 26, 2007
Real Estate Analyst wrote:
This set of circumstances truly reveals that subdivision on the cesspool to be the most artifically-inflated, speculative piece of real estate boom/bust, snake-oil salesmanship in the entire area. Have they build the companion super WalMart yet? Maybe those deadbeat investors can save enough pennies to meet their tax obligations to the community ...
i see the people who cant afford to live at bella collina making fun of it.. i am a big celebrity and just bought a lot there and ive been all over the world and its not because of clermont im moving to bella collina. im moving there because ive never seen a clubhouse or golf course like the ones that they have built there.. if you dont believe me, go see for yourself.. but be careful, they dont let the general public drive around so you might not get in...
Cinco Toys

Orlando, FL

#15 May 26, 2007
celebrity 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
i see the people who cant afford to live at bella collina making fun of it.. i am a big celebrity and just bought a lot there and ive been all over the world and its not because of clermont im moving to bella collina. im moving there because ive never seen a clubhouse or golf course like the ones that they have built there.. if you dont believe me, go see for yourself.. but be careful, they dont let the general public drive around so you might not get in...
It has nothing to do with being able to afford it: Indeed, many of the people who were suckered into buying multimillion dollar plots on a cesspool in Clermont apparently can't even pay their own tax bills!

So if you're into golf and want easy highway access, and a nearby Walmart, and are willing to spend California-league prices, then have I got a lot to sell YOU !! PT Barnum was right.
Jim

AOL

#16 May 26, 2007
Why would people pay those prices for land on a former orange grove in the middle of central Florida? They are not even coastal properties.
You can get properties in West Florida on the coast for the same price or cheaper.
RE Buyer

Orlando, FL

#17 May 26, 2007
Jim wrote:
Why would people pay those prices for land on a former orange grove in the middle of central Florida? They are not even coastal properties.
You can get properties in West Florida on the coast for the same price or cheaper.
You can buy land on the Côte d'Azur for less!
steve 8348

Daytona Beach, FL

#18 May 26, 2007
go see bella collina personally and you will see for yourself.. lake apopka is not a feature at the community... it just happens to be on the lake.. my wife and i liked the dr. phillips area better because it fit our needs better so we bought in dr. phillips, but its a wonderful place if you want a very upscale country club.. also, i heard that the golf pro there, who is a two time u.s. open winner is building on 2 lots on lake apopka... isnt his opinion worth taking.. he's seen the world and he chose that place over others in the area.. the designer of the clubhouse, gatehouse and equestrian center is the same guy who built phil mickelson's and scotty cameron's club in california...anyone who doesnt believe me about bella collina-you really need to go see it for yourselves.. its very obvious that the trash talkers on this site have never seen it or dont understand it. ive never seen anything like it, and ive lived in some of the nicest locations in the world including naples which in most peoples opinion-is where rich-old people go to live their final years...houses are close together though, but the guy who showed us around told us that lots go up to 3 acres there.. i dont care if the lake is polluted or not, 3 acres in central florida in ANY private club is worth the money.
steve 8348

Daytona Beach, FL

#19 May 26, 2007
jim,

you cant compare that community with coastal properties.. they are 2 different monsters.. quit thinking in investment terms and think about buying real estate to enjoy real estate..
dave 6656

Daytona Beach, FL

#20 May 26, 2007
Steve, i have a question.. you said a developer cant place a community anywhere and expect it be succeed.. i have news for you.. windermere was there a long, long time before isleworth got there but until that club was established, windermere was considered by locals as out in the middle of nowhere...if isleworth would have been started. there would be no keenes point, lake butler sound and windermere and the butler chain would be worth nothing.. its funny, people said the same thing about those clubs about 15 years ago.. does everyone know that isleworth went bankrupt twice!!!!! look at it now.
scott strong-orlando

Daytona Beach, FL

#21 May 26, 2007
i heard that oprah and a bunch of celebrities have bought property there.. i know for a fact that chris tucker from rush hour bought there recently because my neighbor is good friends with the guy whose house he bought. these people really do their research before they buy somewhere so what do the guys writing all the negative press know that the millionaires and billionairs dont know? sounds to me like someone is a bit jealous.. not accusing anyone but when my kids act that way towards something or someone 9 times out of 10- it stemms from jealousy. ive never seen it-great place? but i think its overpriced for todays market but i guess people are buying anyway, there has to be something else i dont know.. im riding out next week to look.. ill post what i find.
scott
Chris

Osteen, FL

#22 May 26, 2007
garym1a2 wrote:
<quoted text>You are not from Clermont. Some of the nicest veiws are in this Collina area. One day the lake also will be restored and it makes Orlandos lakes look like mud puddles. Plus the area has great bike trails and easy access to the turnpike.
Yeah, it sucks...I just recently moved out here (not really my choice though...) from College Park and I don't see the allure. There are some decent views, but the traffic is just as bad as driving thru Orlando and there is NO industry, just unplanned sprawling residential subdivisions and commercial plazas. I like a sense of community around me, not a sense of "a subdivision that just popped up on a country road one day and then Clermont or Groveland or whoever annexed the land into their so-called city limits."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montverde Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Audit 'stunningly critical' of MPO Apr 19 L C is Bush world 2
News Lake County investigating abuse allegations at ... (Jun '08) Apr 5 dont look ethel 52
Lindsey Browning Mar 29 meowingmetal 1
Bonnie Kurowski Mar '16 Concerned 1
News Teen surrenders in fatal-shooting case (Feb '07) Mar '16 Lawyer 21
News Montverde jazzing up its downtown (Nov '08) Nov '13 2_TRUE_4_U 19
News Montverde mayor passes his first crisis (Dec '07) Nov '13 2_TRUE_4_U 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montverde Mortgages