Jack Staggs returns to Montreat Polic...

Jack Staggs returns to Montreat Police force

There are 44 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 8, 2008, titled Jack Staggs returns to Montreat Police force. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Jack Staggs, former police chief of Black Mountain and a 20-year veteran officer of the Black Mountain Police Department has returned to the Montreat Police Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bob

Arden, NC

#1 Jan 12, 2008
I have had the pleasure in knowing and working with Officer Staggs, and he is a true professional in everyway.I just want to take a moment and to say I hope him the very best in whatever he does, which always will his very best.He is second to none and will always have my respect for his professional life style and the support he has shown me through the years.
A retired brother in law enforcement.

Since: Aug 07

Hickory, NC

#2 Jan 12, 2008
Jack is a first class individual.
Amethystlady

Maxton, NC

#3 Jan 19, 2008
The Black Mountain Police Department has changed dramatically since the days it resembled the Montreat Police Department. Many of the citizens wish we could return to such a time. I remember the time when the police were friendly and their main goal was to assist tourists find their way and keep us all safe. Now it's speed traps and d.u.i. license checks and Dennis Bishop handing out tickets right and left like Barney Fife.

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Elizabethton, TN

#4 Jan 19, 2008
Amethystlady wrote:
The Black Mountain Police Department has changed dramatically since the days it resembled the Montreat Police Department. Many of the citizens wish we could return to such a time. I remember the time when the police were friendly and their main goal was to assist tourists find their way and keep us all safe. Now it's speed traps and d.u.i. license checks and Dennis Bishop handing out tickets right and left like Barney Fife.
So now you want the Police to do nothing so you can whine about speeders? Typical citizen.
dispatcher

United States

#5 Jan 19, 2008
Sgt Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
So now you want the Police to do nothing so you can whine about speeders? Typical citizen.
Back in 1982 while being a Police Dispatcher for the B.M.P.D. when Sonny Slagle was the Police Chief, the department was a joke. Allen Willet, in my opinion, was about as sorry as a LEO could be. Bert Stone, so so. As for the rest at that time, they were alright. Don't know how the department is now. As for Jack Staggs, I have known him for quite a while now, he is a top-notch LEO. One of the best.
Larry

United States

#6 Jan 19, 2008
Sgt Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
So now you want the Police to do nothing so you can whine about speeders? Typical citizen.
Sgt Rock... if you condone this butthole cops approach to LE, then, you my friend, SUCK also as a cop...

Our sheriff in my hometown not only drove our schoolbus, but he also took us home after a night of drinking at the only dance hall in the county... and he would bring us back the next day to get our vehicles...

There was NO crime, everybody respected him...

He was our friend, not the LAW... he didn't have to be the LAW...
why me

Maxton, NC

#7 Jan 19, 2008
Amethystlady wrote:
The Black Mountain Police Department has changed dramatically since the days it resembled the Montreat Police Department. Many of the citizens wish we could return to such a time. I remember the time when the police were friendly and their main goal was to assist tourists find their way and keep us all safe. Now it's speed traps and d.u.i. license checks and Dennis Bishop handing out tickets right and left like Barney Fife.
DWI enforcement, sounds goooooooooood to me!!!!

Speed traps, seem to only apply to those who opt to speed which by the way is a very high percentage of the drivers.

Personally, I'm glad to be getting some government service for my tax $$$$$$$$$$

In summary, I would simply add, keep up the goooooooooooood work boys and girls.

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Jonesborough, TN

#8 Jan 19, 2008
dispatcher wrote:
<quoted text> Back in 1982 while being a Police Dispatcher for the B.M.P.D. when Sonny Slagle was the Police Chief, the department was a joke. Allen Willet, in my opinion, was about as sorry as a LEO could be. Bert Stone, so so. As for the rest at that time, they were alright. Don't know how the department is now. As for Jack Staggs, I have known him for quite a while now, he is a top-notch LEO. One of the best.
I agree with what you are saying. Staggs is alright, just don't believe ANYTHING that comes out of his mouth.

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Jonesborough, TN

#9 Jan 19, 2008
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>Our sheriff in my hometown not only drove our schoolbus, but he also took us home after a night of drinking at the only dance hall in the county... and he would bring us back the next day to get our vehicles...
There was NO crime, everybody respected him...
He was our friend, not the LAW... he didn't have to be the LAW...
You are either FOS or you lived in Mayberry. I prefer believing the first. You're FOS!
dispatcher

United States

#12 Jan 19, 2008
Sgt Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with what you are saying. Staggs is alright, just don't believe ANYTHING that comes out of his mouth.
I thought Frankie Owens was a top-notch Auxiliary Police Officer for B.M., but that got shot all to hell after what he did. Remember?
dispatcher

United States

#13 Jan 19, 2008
I talked to Tootie at Lake Tomahawk, Frankie was with her, the day before it happened. Frankie seemed upset about something.

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Jonesborough, TN

#14 Jan 19, 2008
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
his name was Bobby Lee... town cop, deputy sheriff, constable, school bus driver... etc...
ain't FOS, just you are a f-in punk azzhole that never made a mark on anyone except on thier driver's licenses...
Bobby brought one of my brothers that was home from NAM on leave home every night... never took him to jail... he needed to, but he didn't...
Bobby had the chance to lock me up for a long time, but he didn't...
So... you Sgt Crock... are a fool...
I'd biatch slap you if you ever raised your voice to me... you demand no respect, especially from me...
I would pizz on you if you were on fire after you last post to me...
Hey Gomer and Goober,
Yes. Andy should have put both of you in jail. LMAO!!!!!

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Jonesborough, TN

#15 Jan 19, 2008
dispatcher wrote:
<quoted text> I thought Frankie Owens was a top-notch Auxiliary Police Officer for B.M., but that got shot all to hell after what he did. Remember?
Yep. I remember that. Sad. You're right. That department was a joke when Slagle was Chief. Hasn't gotten much better.They've had a huge turnover, with some sorry personell. They can't keep a Chief.

“Keep lookin' over ur shoulder!”

Since: Jan 08

NATIVE

#17 Jan 19, 2008
Bob wrote:
I have had the pleasure in knowing and working with Officer Staggs, and he is a true professional in everyway.I just want to take a moment and to say I hope him the very best in whatever he does, which always will his very best.He is second to none and will always have my respect for his professional life style and the support he has shown me through the years.
A retired brother in law enforcement.
I've known Jack since high school. He is going t be missed. Montreat had him first, now they got him back. A rue professional that loves the people of WNC. The time he takes educating children about LE is unsurpassed in the valley.

I'd pick Jack on my team anytime.

“Keep lookin' over ur shoulder!”

Since: Jan 08

NATIVE

#18 Jan 19, 2008
Sorry about the typos, not on my regular computer.
dispatcher

United States

#19 Jan 19, 2008
RetMCPO wrote:
Sorry about the typos, not on my regular computer.
Good excuse as any. I can't type either. ROTGLMBFAO
dispatcher

United States

#20 Jan 19, 2008
Couldn't believe it when the town made sorry-a-- Willet the Police Chief. Ignorant a-- would take his sweet time whenever I dispatched his sorry, fat a-- to a call for help.
dispatcher

United States

#21 Jan 19, 2008
The B.M.P.D. used to be were Pug Stepp's service station was. Same building, beside the old F.D. and Town Hall. During my dispatching days, I was lucky to get the Good Ol' Boys, including Sonny, from the back of the department to go answer a call for help. Their Uno game, a card game, seemed more important.
dispatcher

United States

#22 Jan 19, 2008
Rumor had it that Frankie shot and killed Tootie because Tootie didn't want to take Frankie with her to her high school class reunion. When he finally realized what he had done, that is when he shot and killed hisself. That was the rumor at the time. Ain't heard no other yet.

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Johnson City, TN

#23 Jan 19, 2008
dispatcher wrote:
Rumor had it that Frankie shot and killed Tootie because Tootie didn't want to take Frankie with her to her high school class reunion. When he finally realized what he had done, that is when he shot and killed hisself. That was the rumor at the time. Ain't heard no other yet.
Yep. I heard the same thing. I was shocked to hear what happened. They had some sorry Officers there at one time during the 80"s.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montreat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
P.G school 2 hr Legends and Losers 36
Armpit of McDowell County 3 hr frank 32
John Hubbard 6 hr Jacktown 1
Randy Webb (Jan '17) 6 hr she is a little b... 8
Zaraida aka Zina 9 hr info 1
Dear HUSBAND w/ another girl 11 hr Shell 28
Black women and hairy arm pits 11 hr NCWoman 5

Montreat Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montreat Mortgages