U.S. Rep. John Lewis speaks Sunday at...

U.S. Rep. John Lewis speaks Sunday at Montreat

There are 4 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 2, 2009, titled U.S. Rep. John Lewis speaks Sunday at Montreat. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

MONTREAT U.S. Rep. John Lewis , one of the leaders of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s, is visiting Montreat for a conference this weekend and offer a question-and-answer session Sunday morning at ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Ronald Frobnitz

United States

#1 Jan 3, 2009
It is an honor to welcome a truly great American patriot to our community. We owe Congressman Lewis our thanks for his heroic deeds in the struggle for human rights in the south.
ashkat

United States

#2 Jan 3, 2009
I pray that our young people can find hope in the story of Rep Lewis who stood up for what he believed at his own peril. Today we take for granted what was won at great cost.
Jackson Girl

United States

#4 Jan 3, 2009
ashkat wrote:
I pray that our young people can find hope in the story of Rep Lewis who stood up for what he believed at his own peril. Today we take for granted what was won at great cost.
You are so right. I talk to many younger people who are surprised when I tell them of the courageous struggles in the civil rights movement that have happened within my lifetime.
Jen Hooper

United States

#5 Jan 3, 2009
Jackson Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right. I talk to many younger people who are surprised when I tell them of the courageous struggles in the civil rights movement that have happened within my lifetime.
My students do not have a full appreciation of the bravery African-Americans displayed to fight for the things that are taken for granted today. They find it hard to believe that a person could be denied the right to vote or even sit at a lunch counter and drink coffee. I often mention Rep. Lewis and his role as one of Dr. King's colleagues. I also tell them how this member of Congress was severly beaten by the vicous racists of Alabama.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montreat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
walt mitchell?? whats his deal? anyone know?? (Dec '13) 21 min swimming girl 27
What is the best little town in North Carolina? (May '08) 28 min Timmy_ 168
Low flying planes in PG 36 min BigJohn 2
miss you 3 hr nobody 1
Stone Mountain Cult in Old Fort (Jul '13) 11 hr COF89 15
Emmy Furr (Mar '14) 12 hr YallKnow 15
Thirty something guy looking Fri Thirty Something 15
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montreat Mortgages