Health care a 'right'

May 2, 2009 Read more: Berkshire Eagle 790
The contention that "health care is a human right" brought hundreds of people to the Statehouse steps on Friday to demand that Vermont implement universal health care coverage. Read more

“CARPE DIEM”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#134 May 6, 2009
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoopee. The leftist ranks are filled with people
like yourself who know they were more lucky than
talented (ex. Hollywood stars) and try to make up
for that unworthy, guilty feeling with phony
compassion.
Do you wear $540 shoes like Michelle when you take
beans to the food bank?
nothing phony here. And my shoes come from Payless. I dont believe in wasteful spending.

Since: May 08

Chester, MA

#135 May 7, 2009
Dbone7 wrote:
We've been through this a number of times. Conservatives donate substantially more than liberals in time and money. Don't fool youself. The volunteerism and advocacy for the poor by a lot of folks you don't agree with help millions of people have a better life. Don't be dopey. Debate the Health Care issue; that's sensible. Don't challenge the hearts of the "extreme right". They often have the same "end game" that you do on supporting the less fortunate; they just disagree with the process and means of going about it. Seriously - you are way off with your comment.
<quoted text>
No,I do not think I am off at all!
Throwing a starving person a fish is far less humane and caring than taking the time to teach that person to fish,and therefore be able to eat for life!
Emerald

Waldorf, MD

#136 May 7, 2009
Good morning Ramdan, Cold, rainy one here in MD.
I think both Rep and Dem contribute equally but in different ways. Your comment about teaching a man to fish is what brought to mind that , though your statement is true, someone needs to provide means to the person doing the teaching.
Now, if you buy the premise that the Rep are the party of the rich then those are the ones paying for the fishing lesson. Whether for tax purposes or humanitarian only they know, but they do provide the money for the teacher. through their donations to charitable organizations.
Now, if you buy the premise that Dems represent the common man(?), then it stands to reason they donate more personal time than money. They volunteer for soup kitchens etc.
Either way, you need both to carry on charitable work.
PEACE
William K

Indian Trail, NC

#137 May 7, 2009
ramdan wrote:
<quoted text>No,I do not think I am off at all!
Throwing a starving person a fish is far less humane and caring than taking the time to teach that person to fish,and therefore be able to eat for life!
we have way to many people who would rather all the fisherman feed them rather than learn to fish and feed themselves.

“CARPE DIEM”

Location hidden

#138 May 7, 2009
William K wrote:
<quoted text>
we have way to many people who would rather all the fisherman feed them rather than learn to fish and feed themselves.
You cannot speak for averyone! you have distorted view.

Chester, MA

#139 May 7, 2009
Emerald wrote:
Good morning Ramdan, Cold, rainy one here in MD.
I think both Rep and Dem contribute equally but in different ways. Your comment about teaching a man to fish is what brought to mind that , though your statement is true, someone needs to provide means to the person doing the teaching.
Now, if you buy the premise that the Rep are the party of the rich then those are the ones paying for the fishing lesson. Whether for tax purposes or humanitarian only they know, but they do provide the money for the teacher. through their donations to charitable organizations.
Now, if you buy the premise that Dems represent the common man(?), then it stands to reason they donate more personal time than money. They volunteer for soup kitchens etc.
Either way, you need both to carry on charitable work.
PEACE
Good morning oh reasonable one!
I agree with what you say,more or less!
I buy the premise that what is in your heart is far more important than what is in your bank account! Time is the one thing that we cannot make more of!
Are the soft shells being fished yet?
Cold and drizzly here as well!
PEACE!
William K

Indian Trail, NC

#141 May 7, 2009
CURLY1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot speak for averyone! you have distorted view.
Somehow I don't think you speak for everyone either. However, if you want to pay for people to sit on the couch like slugs feel free, I don't.

“CARPE DIEM”

Location hidden

#142 May 7, 2009
William K wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow I don't think you speak for everyone either. However, if you want to pay for people to sit on the couch like slugs feel free, I don't.
good thing you are required to pay your taxes whether you like it or not. It is because of people like you that Obama won the election.
We are tired of the arrogent, all for me mentality of the GOP!
William K

Indian Trail, NC

#143 May 7, 2009
CURLY1 wrote:
<quoted text>
good thing you are required to pay your taxes whether you like it or not. It is because of people like you that Obama won the election.
Who's part of the GOP, not me. You are batting below the mendoza line so far.

I don't have a problem with paying taxes genius, I just feel there are more important things around than paying for people who don't help themselves. Welfare is temporary, it is supposed to help you get back on your feet not become an every month check so you can sit on the couch watching Oprah or Ellen.

IMO it's not the taxpayers responsibility to pay for everyone. I am already paying for my neighboors house, car , bailing out his company and now his healthcare. Sooner or later the taxpayers will just quit working and we will not have anyone to pay taxes, who pays for it then? If want to live in a place where people can't have their own opinion and voice it then you are in the wrong country. I didn't get shot at defending people like you so that when I got home I couldn't voice my opinion.
Emerald

Waldorf, MD

#144 May 7, 2009
CURLY1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Curly1,
As I see it we have a gigantic public assistance problem. We are seeing third generation, sometimes fourth,families on aid. Why? The idea was to give people a hand up...not a hand out. But for three or four generations? Where did we go wrong with this group? Why haven't they moved up, got their act together and made something of themselves. Wasn't that the aim of the program?
It is this group, the entitled group that the complaints are about.
There are people who are very deserving of aid...like the single mom trying to get through college, the young family who suddenly loses both breadwinners to unemployment. old folks who barely have enough to get by.
But 3 and 4 generations of them? This has been a problem for many years. No administration has figured out how to change it. Rep & Dem alike, it just keeps getting worse.
What type of action do you believe will help solve the problem?

“CARPE DIEM”

Location hidden

#145 May 7, 2009
Emerald wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Curly1,
What type of action do you believe will help solve the problem?
one word.....EDUCATION!
Emerald

Waldorf, MD

#146 May 7, 2009
We have all kinds of educational programs, technical schools, community colleges, scholarships, student aid, vocational schools, preK,s and Head Start...I probably missed a few.
So, why is it that even though the educational opportunities are out there this particular percentage does not take advantage of them. We are talking 3 or 4 generations here.Maybe every once in a while one or two break the chain, but not often enough to stop the trend. So, how do we get these kids to go to school?
William K

Indian Trail, NC

#147 May 7, 2009
CURLY1 wrote:
<quoted text>
one word.....EDUCATION!
Don't know about your state but mine is LAYING TEACHERS OFF, guess too many people wanted freebies this year instead of EDUCATION.

Chester, MA

#148 May 7, 2009
Emerald wrote:
We have all kinds of educational programs, technical schools, community colleges, scholarships, student aid, vocational schools, preK,s and Head Start...I probably missed a few.
So, why is it that even though the educational opportunities are out there this particular percentage does not take advantage of them. We are talking 3 or 4 generations here.Maybe every once in a while one or two break the chain, but not often enough to stop the trend. So, how do we get these kids to go to school?
I think they need to be shown how easy it really is to make something of themselves! They need to hear on a daily basis that earning something makes it more valuable than being given the same thing!
Workfare,where daycare is provided,and a LIVEABLE wage is paid in return for the productivity!
Children learn by their parents example for the most part,so the problem is self sustaining and actually may grow!

“CARPE DIEM”

Location hidden

#149 May 7, 2009
ramdan wrote:
<quoted text>IWorkfare,where daycare is provided,and a LIVEABLE wage is paid in return for the productivity!
!
AMEN!

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#150 May 7, 2009
hahaha wrote:
well not if your American.
But every other civilized country has socialized medicine, and holy shite IT WORKS!
It isn't a right unless you can provide yourself. No one has to practice medicine.
Krakus

United States

#151 May 7, 2009
ramdan wrote:
<quoted text>Workfare,where daycare is provided,and a LIVEABLE wage is paid in return for the productivity!
Daycare provided and liveable wage? Nice idea, but such a plan would cost far more than we currently pay on the welfare dole; but it might be an ivestment worth making. But you have to add education to get away from make-work jobs, and then the cost rolls on up.

“Dan Allen Dot Com”

Since: Jul 07

Montpelier, Vermont

#152 May 8, 2009
Everyone needs payment to live, but healing others out of profit motive is a conflict of interest. Genuine healers live by high principles.
Dbone7

Germantown, MD

#153 May 8, 2009
Some of the best thought leaders in many areas of medicine are VERY motivated by the financial aspects of their roles. Dream on. Your statement is a judgement based on sappy ideals. Get your local Shaman to rub berries on the soles of your feet to cure your cancer if you want to. I'll head to Johns Hopkins or Dana-Farber or the Cleveland Clinic.
danallendotcom wrote:
Everyone needs payment to live, but healing others out of profit motive is a conflict of interest. Genuine healers live by high principles.
Common Sense Says

Agawam, MA

#154 May 8, 2009
A healthier America will be a Richer more prosperous America.
Let's get the millions of people who are sick now because of lack of affordable healthcare the coverage they need,this is The United States of America not some third world country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montpelier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Occupy Wall St - Montpelier, VT (Nov '11) Apr 12 Peter 9
Lock and Load Apr 10 Community Disorga... 1
News Letters: Bennington Pizza Plaza has big news Mar 27 markey da masshole 2
News HCRS compensation package angers lawmakers Mar '15 tanya 2
News It's time to make purely economic decisions of ... Feb '15 markey the masshole 2
News Bothersome bear damages cars in Island Pond (Jul '14) Feb '15 richard 2
News IBM leadership notifies Shumlin of layoffs (Feb '14) Feb '15 markey da masshole 15
More from around the web

Montpelier People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]