Vt. lawmakers consider fee for shoppi...

Vt. lawmakers consider fee for shopping bags

There are 2 comments on the WCAX-TV Burlington story from Feb 26, 2014, titled Vt. lawmakers consider fee for shopping bags. In it, WCAX-TV Burlington reports that:

Lawmakers in Montpelier are looking at imposing a 10-cent fee on every carry-out bag you pick up at the grocery or any other retailers whether it's paper or plastic.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCAX-TV Burlington.

Linda

Peterborough, NH

#1 Feb 28, 2014
OMG ! You can NOT tell me we don't already PAY for these bags in the HIGH cost off EVERYTHING we purchase now! GET OUT OF HERE with this BULL SHIT !

10 cents per bag over the course of a year is a lot of money ! Are we going to pay SALES TAX on the stupid bags too?

Don't you stupid politicians have anything else to divert your attention too that would better serve the people WHO PAY your salary?

This state has gone to HELL in a hand bag now!
Richard

Placerville, CA

#2 Mar 1, 2014
You're right! They should eat the bird with their obnoxious taxes. Although I doubt that is what they want. They want to eliminate plastic bags. We could carry string bags or other carriers and that would be that. Except, it would be unsanitary. And furthermore, the cause is so damn dated. In the 80's I would have been for it.
But since then we learned the amount of oil it takes to make a plastic bag is small. Especially compared with our overal use of oil. Secondly, having endured at least a decade of wondering "paper or plastic?" plenty of us found good reuse of the bags. I use them as kitchen size trash bags. Where I live they are also banning grocery bags--but you can buy them?
So now I will have to go out and buy kitchen trash bags in addition.

"Sacramento is just like Hollywood, but for the ugly people."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montpelier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Modern Day Brown Shirtsó-Its Real Wed Electronic Gang S... 2
News Vermont poised to enact legal pot through Legis... Jan 12 Dopeheads 1
News Vermont Gov. Scott wants to attract people to t... Jan 5 Fed up 1
News Our View: Woodford wise to revote on Act 46 Dec '17 Sherif Fife 1
News Small-town police coverage seeks upgrade Oct '17 Brooklyn Bernie 10
Montpelier vt needs a Bypass Road Oct '17 Celebrate Diversity 3
Senator Sanders This Is For Real----No Spoof Sep '17 Comrade deBlowzio 2

Montpelier Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance