My Turn: Property tax structure hurts downtowns

Apr 15, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Burlington Free Press

Vermont's traditional downtown retail centers need our af fection. To under mine these historic but struggling commercial and civic centers would be a sad loss of our heritage.

Comments
61 - 74 of 74 Comments Last updated Jul 29, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 09

Graniteville, VT

#65 May 26, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
McNutt you don't even comprehend American Politics let alone stick your clueless conscience into how foreign aid works to benefit the US economy.... Since the tin foil hat thing is not working for you, might I suggest standing on your roof during a thunder storm while holding a 6 foot metal rod.....
Try getting out from under the Ultra/Liberal/Democrat cult. Try answereing questions. First what year is it 2011 like onnthe calander or 2008 like " THE MESSIAH" signs on his visit to England. Foreign aid Answer why Americans over 55 are still working to give aid to Greece so they can retire at 55? Answer if foreign aid and trade is so good why do so many complain about the cheap poor quality goods at Wal Mart that is costing so many American Jobs. Answer if "THE MESSIAH with his MAJIC TELEPROMER" is doing such a great job unemployment can not go below 9% when high under Bush was 7.9%. If "THE MESSIAH" was doing so great why is debt going up 3 times as fast as under Bush?
Alex

United States

#66 May 26, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>Try getting out from under the Ultra/Liberal/Democrat cult. Try answereing questions. First what year is it 2011 like onnthe calander or 2008 like " THE MESSIAH" signs on his visit to England. Foreign aid Answer why Americans over 55 are still working to give aid to Greece so they can retire at 55? Answer if foreign aid and trade is so good why do so many complain about the cheap poor quality goods at Wal Mart that is costing so many American Jobs. Answer if "THE MESSIAH with his MAJIC TELEPROMER" is doing such a great job unemployment can not go below 9% when high under Bush was 7.9%. If "THE MESSIAH" was doing so great why is debt going up 3 times as fast as under Bush?
Why is it that I have to keep repeating the fact that you haven't got a fcking clue what you are talking about and merely repeating bullshit from a CNN or Fox sock puppet?????

If you want FACTS, unemployment was actually much higher under Bush and the only thing that saved his ass was new job creation
which kept those numbers in check..... Bush was leaving office when all hell let loose with the banking industry which carried over into the Obama era.... Failing financial institutions and banks not lending money are the biggest factors in this present unemployment fiasco because small businesses can't get the needed capital for expansion, something Bush did not have to deal with....

Some FACTS of which are on the current table to deal with unemployment are as follows: Permanently doing away with the Davis Bacon Act which deals with wages to be paid to workers on government projects and making it more competitive by allowing smaller businesses to bid on government jobs.....

Lowering the corporate tax to 26% instead of the current 35% and also lowering the tax on foreign earnings if those earnings are invested within the US......

Now as for the National Debt, please allow me to laugh my fcking ass off for a few minutes....
Why are you so concerned NOW but not concerned when the GOP raised the debt ceiling 19 times under the Bush administration after they "were warned" of the risk it would cause to the market and the effects it would have on interest rates for decades to come?????
Now in case your dumb ass missed it, look out your window and see what damage was done UNDER BUSH!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Obama is adding to that debt by offering programs to smaller businesses because BUSH fcked up our financial markets with his unlimited line of credit to pay off his cronnies building his military machine.... And while I'm on the subject, how is it that the between 2004 and 2007 the defense department and pentagon fcking LOST $9 billion, never to be found and nobody was ever held accountable????? Did someone steal their abacus or were they using Mexican bean counters from the Bush ranch?????

By the way, those retirement ages in Greece are FALSE.... Tell Mr Limbaugh he's talking with a paper asshole AGAIN.....

Colchester, VT

#67 May 27, 2011
Alex wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it that I have to keep repeating the fact that you haven't got a fcking clue what you are talking about and merely repeating bullshit from a CNN or Fox sock puppet?????
If you want FACTS, unemployment was actually much higher under Bush and the only thing that saved his ass was new job creation
which kept those numbers in check..... Bush was leaving office when all hell let loose with the banking industry which carried over into the Obama era.... Failing financial institutions and banks not lending money are the biggest factors in this present unemployment fiasco because small businesses can't get the needed capital for expansion, something Bush did not have to deal with....
Some FACTS of which are on the current table to deal with unemployment are as follows: Permanently doing away with the Davis Bacon Act which deals with wages to be paid to workers on government projects and making it more competitive by allowing smaller businesses to bid on government jobs.....
Lowering the corporate tax to 26% instead of the current 35% and also lowering the tax on foreign earnings if those earnings are invested within the US......
Now as for the National Debt, please allow me to laugh my fcking ass off for a few minutes....
Why are you so concerned NOW but not concerned when the GOP raised the debt ceiling 19 times under the Bush administration after they "were warned" of the risk it would cause to the market and the effects it would have on interest rates for decades to come?????
Now in case your dumb ass missed it, look out your window and see what damage was done UNDER BUSH!!!!!!!!!!
Yes Obama is adding to that debt by offering programs to smaller businesses because BUSH fcked up our financial markets with his unlimited line of credit to pay off his cronnies building his military machine.... And while I'm on the subject, how is it that the between 2004 and 2007 the defense department and pentagon fcking LOST $9 billion, never to be found and nobody was ever held accountable????? Did someone steal their abacus or were they using Mexican bean counters from the Bush ranch?????
By the way, those retirement ages in Greece are FALSE.... Tell Mr Limbaugh he's talking with a paper asshole AGAIN.....
Again & again & again I never said the debt was good under Bush I say It is worse under Obama. Worse to say it as simple as possible means it was bad under Bush but is now worse. Military budget you should support it how would have Obama Killed a unarmed man & his wife without the military? "WARNED" about debt increase ANSWER if it is bad how does it become right when Obama does it at three times the rate? Economy how do you explain that people & companys are saving money at record levels? Is it because they have no faith in the way the country is heading. Report on Greece was no net work news not talk radio.
itsme

Bennington, VT

#68 May 27, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>If as you say Bush lite the fuse Obama poured gas on it. Look at Obamas record. His Unemployment low is higher than Bushs high. Debt in two years under Obama almost equal to eight years unded Bush. Gas was under $2 a gallon when Bush left office now under Obama $4 a gallon. What have you got against Subaru? Could it be it was good enough to not need tax payer bail out. Like say Obama motors I mean general motors. Might I point out on Walmart that people who don't have high paying Obama jobs like General Motors or Wisconsin teachers have to shop by price. The President is like a head coach. He is Judged on his record bad season gets fired. Obama has had 2 1/2 years things just keep getting worse.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart...
itsme

Bennington, VT

#69 May 27, 2011
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart...

At the top of the chart click on the 18 month chart an pay close attention to the period from early April thru Sept. of last year (2010) and keep in mind of what happened on April 20, 2010. You want to make people think it's all the Presidents fault the gas prices are high and the oil companies have nothing to do with it. During that time frame prices here in Bennington all summer hung out around $2.50 a gallon.
Alex

United States

#70 May 27, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>Again & again & again I never said the debt was good under Bush I say It is worse under Obama. Worse to say it as simple as possible means it was bad under Bush but is now worse. Military budget you should support it how would have Obama Killed a unarmed man & his wife without the military? "WARNED" about debt increase ANSWER if it is bad how does it become right when Obama does it at three times the rate? Economy how do you explain that people & companys are saving money at record levels? Is it because they have no faith in the way the country is heading. Report on Greece was no net work news not talk radio.
Yea I'm sure Obama "personally" shot and killed a man and his wife.... You're more looney than I thought...... I suppose in your eyes war stops automatically when a President leaves office and turns out the lights to the oval office.....

There seems to be a lump of Doi Di Doi blocking the blood flow to your brain McNutt.... Bushes record breaking attack on the piggy bank will be felt for years to come.... There is one thing that has been tried before, with disastrous results, and that is cutting taxes and supporting a war at the same time, which Bush did, although only the rich benefited from the cuts....

Let me take you back to 2001 when Bush decided to add a drug benefit schedule into Medicare which has cost to date over $1 Trillion and fattened the banks of major pharmaceutical companies......

Another major fck up by Bush was allowing Greenspan to lower short term interest rates to zero back in 2002.... Now what do you suppose the Boy Scouts and Alter Boys of Wall Street did with all of this FREE CASH and you can bet your ass that it was not invested in the United States...... Greenspan the money man for Bush who told the world that it was a good idea for commercial banks and investment banks to work hand in hand by trashing the Glass Steagall Act which forbid such practices and acted as an oversight for the greedy bastards on Wall Street.... Sure, lets blame the entire fcking mess on sub prime mortgages and the failure of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, but don't forget that financial institutions like the giant Washington Mutual and others were into the same game as Freddie and Fannie... You had a government program leveraged to death by the private sector McNutt.... A program which didn't even have capital adequacy rules which applied to the private banking sector... The elimination of the Glass Steagall Act was a major reason for the CRASH on Wall Street in 2008 and the cause for the federal bailout..... Now who do you think was behind this great plan to allow the merger of commercial and investment banking as one entity?????

Now let me explain something McNutt, if consumers aren't spending and corporations aren't investing and banks aren't lending, that only leaves one avenue of escape from this mess, which is federal stimulus cash.... This is called short term deficit spending and if it's not done there will be world wide repercussions....

"Report on Greece was no net work news not talk radio."
Ohhhhh, so you made it up I suppose..... Greece is a very pro union country and their laws governing early retirement are for those working in high risk jobs.... Their normal retirement age is 62, not 55.....

Colchester, VT

#71 May 27, 2011
Alex wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea I'm sure Obama "personally" shot and killed a man and his wife.... You're more looney than I thought...... I suppose in your eyes war stops automatically when a President leaves office and turns out the lights to the oval office.....
There seems to be a lump of Doi Di Doi blocking the blood flow to your brain McNutt.... Bushes record breaking attack on the piggy bank will be felt for years to come.... There is one thing that has been tried before, with disastrous results, and that is cutting taxes and supporting a war at the same time, which Bush did, although only the rich benefited from the cuts....
Let me take you back to 2001 when Bush decided to add a drug benefit schedule into Medicare which has cost to date over $1 Trillion and fattened the banks of major pharmaceutical companies......
Another major fck up by Bush was allowing Greenspan to lower short term interest rates to zero back in 2002.... Now what do you suppose the Boy Scouts and Alter Boys of Wall Street did with all of this FREE CASH and you can bet your ass that it was not invested in the United States...... Greenspan the money man for Bush who told the world that it was a good idea for commercial banks and investment banks to work hand in hand by trashing the Glass Steagall Act which forbid such practices and acted as an oversight for the greedy bastards on Wall Street.... Sure, lets blame the entire fcking mess on sub prime mortgages and the failure of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, but don't forget that financial institutions like the giant Washington Mutual and others were into the same game as Freddie and Fannie... You had a government program leveraged to death by the private sector McNutt.... A program which didn't even have capital adequacy rules which applied to the private banking sector... The elimination of the Glass Steagall Act was a major reason for the CRASH on Wall Street in 2008 and the cause for the federal bailout..... Now who do you think was behind this great plan to allow the merger of commercial and investment banking as one entity?????
Now let me explain something McNutt, if consumers aren't spending and corporations aren't investing and banks aren't lending, that only leaves one avenue of escape from this mess, which is federal stimulus cash.... This is called short term deficit spending and if it's not done there will be world wide repercussions....
"Report on Greece was no net work news not talk radio."
Ohhhhh, so you made it up I suppose..... Greece is a very pro union country and their laws governing early retirement are for those working in high risk jobs.... Their normal retirement age is 62, not 55.....
Obama ordered the raid that killed A unarmed Obama & his wife. Does that not make him responsible. AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN I am not overlooking anything Bush did or happened on his watch. I am pointing out what has and is happening on the Obama watch. High unemployment even higher in fact much higher increase in Nationsal debt. Then I ask the question with a supper majority in the Senate why could he not fix things? As for not spending money is that because Companys & People have no faith in the future under the Dear Leader or to use his title "THE MESSIAH" Then when I see things like in England he does not even know what year it is I think that might be a clue. As for Greece 55 Retirement it was reported on Fox News and the Clinton News Network {Also known as CNN}.

Since: Feb 11

McHenry, MD

#72 May 27, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>Obama ordered the raid that killed A unarmed Obama & his wife. Does that not make him responsible. AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN I am not overlooking anything Bush did or happened on his watch. I am pointing out what has and is happening on the Obama watch. High unemployment even higher in fact much higher increase in Nationsal debt. Then I ask the question with a supper majority in the Senate why could he not fix things? As for not spending money is that because Companys & People have no faith in the future under the Dear Leader or to use his title "THE MESSIAH" Then when I see things like in England he does not even know what year it is I think that might be a clue. As for Greece 55 Retirement it was reported on Fox News and the Clinton News Network {Also known as CNN}.
"Obama ordered the raid that killed A unarmed Obama & his wife"????
What the fck is this???? Have you lost your fcking mind or did you steal some of daddies Mad Dog 20/20?????? I'm going to assume you are talking about Osama bin Laden and one of his whore wives, NOT Obama.... If that is your point, who gives a fck..... They should have cut off his dick and stuffed it in his mouth and then hung his rag headed ass from a tree to rot.... Does that bother you that he was unarmed McNutt????? If so, jump on a plane and go throw his family a fcking pity party.....

Obama forgot what year it was???? Shit, I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday so does that make me incompetent???? I think not.........

The retirement age in Greece averages around 62 years of age, NOT 55 and their pensions are sponsored by the government just like many other European countries.... That misleading bullshit story you are referring to was about people who have what they consider dangerous jobs which could cut their life expectancy compared to the average worker.... Once again you take the headline and throw out the story!!!!!!!!!!

People afraid to spend, businesses afraid to spend, no faith in the future!!!!! Well fcking Boo Hoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!

It's apparent you are weak little fool who loves to follow the misguided crying masses created by the media.....

I'm a gambler and I follow FACTS... Facts such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average.... When Obama took office the DJI was sitting at 8279.63... Today it closed at 12441.58.... After his first 2 years in office the S & P 500 was up 60% and the NASDAQ was up 90%..... These are facts McNutt....

The REAL Real Vermonter

Harrison, NJ

#73 May 29, 2011
Where's Shaft ???

Since: Feb 11

McHenry, MD

#74 May 29, 2011
The REAL Real Vermonter wrote:
Where's Shaft ???
In the emergency room at SVMC getting his head removed from a sheep's ass!!!!!!!!!!
Elmer

United States

#75 May 29, 2011
The REAL Real Vermonter wrote:
Where's Shaft ???
A better question would be where the flock have you been?

Shaft (aka Marky) floats in and out. He is something like the unofficial mascot here. Small, yipping and annoying, but we are supposed to tolerate his sheet. We generally agree with the first part, but not the second.
Elmer

United States

#76 May 29, 2011
And by small, I am not talking about circumference. More in the sense of insignificant.

“I am here to pump you up!!!”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#77 Jul 10, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
The politicians and people of Vermont are all responsible for the demise of DOWNTOWN which all
created when they allowed big box to steam roll
through the state like an out of control freight
train.....
Mr Pelham loves to throw around numbers but fails
to state how many millions were lost due to tax
incentives and rebates given to the likes of Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes.....
If he thinks things are bad now just wait until that battalion of attorneys from Walmart show up across Vermont demanding a tax abatement of half the assessed value of their property... That's an automatic for Walmart as soon as they open a Super Center....
You have got to be a complete idiot to think these stores save you money!!!!!!!!!!
Once they are dug in they ride shotgun over our town governments

“Get off my lawn!”

Since: Jun 11

People's Republic of VT

#78 Jul 29, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
In the emergency room at SVMC getting his head removed from a sheep's ass!!!!!!!!!!
This post must be from a sunday morning.

From a Marky sob fest:

"
The ad uses the workers in their own words rather than a script. One of them, Mark Santelli, lost his job when Johnson Controls, the maker of Diehard batteries, moved from Bennington to Mexico. He says Sanders helped get the company's abandoned plant restored to the Superfund environmental cleanup program and subsequently torn down and cleaned up.

"Anywhere Bernie needs my help, I'll be there," Santelli said.
"

Nice of a Marky to help Brooklyn Bernie rid the state of those nasty 'jobs'.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montpelier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police Investigating Series of Suspicious Fires... Aug 26 Community Disorga... 1
OMG....they allow you people to vote? Aug 5 New Englander 2
Ship illegal cockroaches to vermont Jul '14 Former New Englander 1
Bothersome bear damages cars in Island Pond Jul '14 zoom46 1
IBM leadership notifies Shumlin of layoffs (Feb '14) Jun '14 Snooker 6
Barre School Board: Teachers must lead pledge Apr '14 Atheists are patr... 2
New GMO Label Law- VTs 32 Pieces of Sh-t Apr '14 Monsanto is Evil 1
•••
•••
Montpelier Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••