My Turn: Property tax structure hurts...

My Turn: Property tax structure hurts downtowns

There are 74 comments on the Burlington Free Press story from Apr 15, 2011, titled My Turn: Property tax structure hurts downtowns. In it, Burlington Free Press reports that:

Vermont's traditional downtown retail centers need our af fection. To under mine these historic but struggling commercial and civic centers would be a sad loss of our heritage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Burlington Free Press.

Since: Jan 09

Graniteville, VT

#44 May 4, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Now just how much do you think these clowns are going to accomplish
with a Democratic-led Senate and Republican-led House????
Answer: Absofuckinglutely Nothing..........
McNutt, your lack of knowledge on political issues is beyond belief... Take a vacation and we'll call you if we need you....
I do know that after the 2009 election when "THE MESSIAH" became President he had a "SUPER MAJORITY" in Senate and 257 to 178 majority in the house. That is a fact. Let me ask do you lack the knowledge that if he wanted to in 2009 or 2010 would have been a good time to try. ONE does he like it? TWO is he to incompentent to try? THREE was he to busy with Basketball? FOUR was his majoc teleprompter broke? Remember Obama was President with a Democrat led House From 2009-2010 Before he made such a mess the house went Republicans 242 Democtrats 193 in 2010.

Since: Feb 11

McHenry, MD

#45 May 5, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>I do know that after the 2009 election when "THE MESSIAH" became President he had a "SUPER MAJORITY" in Senate and 257 to 178 majority in the house. That is a fact. Let me ask do you lack the knowledge that if he wanted to in 2009 or 2010 would have been a good time to try. ONE does he like it? TWO is he to incompentent to try? THREE was he to busy with Basketball? FOUR was his majoc teleprompter broke? Remember Obama was President with a Democrat led House From 2009-2010 Before he made such a mess the house went Republicans 242 Democtrats 193 in 2010.
Your ignorance to facts is baffling McNutt..... Now since you live in a fantasy world please let me reiterate the point that presidents are not issued magic wands upon appointment to office.... Obama likes basketball, big fcking deal and he hasn't been absent from the White House 35% of his time in office like Bush was... Telepromter, Bush had one but nobody knew how to spell his language of Duhhhhhh so it was put in the closet..... Bush, 77 trips to his ranch for a total of 490 days and 149 trips to Camp David for a total of 487 days..... Get your your shit together McNutt........
LSU

United States

#46 May 5, 2011
Alex, your from VT. Are you and McNutt related?

South Pomfret, VT

#47 May 5, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance to facts is baffling McNutt..... Now since you live in a fantasy world please let me reiterate the point that presidents are not issued magic wands upon appointment to office.... Obama likes basketball, big fcking deal and he hasn't been absent from the White House 35% of his time in office like Bush was... Telepromter, Bush had one but nobody knew how to spell his language of Duhhhhhh so it was put in the closet..... Bush, 77 trips to his ranch for a total of 490 days and 149 trips to Camp David for a total of 487 days..... Get your your shit together McNutt........
Let me point out Facts that count. basketball does not trips to texas do not. The job they do in office does. Unemployment 6.9% Oct 2008 with good news of Obama being elected started and lowest under the Messiah has yet to reach high of Bush. National debt has gone up more in a little over two years than Bush in eight. So lets hope Obama spends 490 days in Texas and 149 at Camp David and less time on Basketball if that is what it takes to have Jobs and less debt.

McHenry, MD

#48 May 6, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>Let me point out Facts that count. basketball does not trips to texas do not. The job they do in office does. Unemployment 6.9% Oct 2008 with good news of Obama being elected started and lowest under the Messiah has yet to reach high of Bush. National debt has gone up more in a little over two years than Bush in eight. So lets hope Obama spends 490 days in Texas and 149 at Camp David and less time on Basketball if that is what it takes to have Jobs and less debt.
It for not it be he was said to not!!!! For was it not to oh boy
now ya done it?????

Now listen closely helmet head, Bush lite the fuse for this fcking
explosion and Obama showed up when it detonated..... All of you crying dip shits love to point fingers at Washington for the loss of jobs and as soon as your done bitching you jump in your Subaru and head out to Walmart to buy more imported shit... I hope you all starve or get run over by a Wakmart delivery truck.....

You want a fcking pity party, call Glenn Beck!!!!!!!!!
LSU

United States

#49 May 6, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
now ya done it?????
explosion and Obama showed up when it detonated..... All of you crying dip shits love to point fingers at Washington for the loss of jobs and as soon as your done bitching you jump in your Subaru and head out to Walmart to buy more imported shit... I hope you all starve or get run over by a Wakmart delivery truck.....
That's no way to talk to your brother Alex!

Tunbridge, VT

#51 May 7, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
now ya done it?????
If as you say Bush lite the fuse Obama poured gas on it. Look at Obamas record. His Unemployment low is higher than Bushs high. Debt in two years under Obama almost equal to eight years unded Bush. Gas was under $2 a gallon when Bush left office now under Obama $4 a gallon. What have you got against Subaru? Could it be it was good enough to not need tax payer bail out. Like say Obama motors I mean general motors. Might I point out on Walmart that people who don't have high paying Obama jobs like General Motors or Wisconsin teachers have to shop by price. The President is like a head coach. He is Judged on his record bad season gets fired. Obama has had 2 1/2 years things just keep getting worse.

McHenry, MD

#52 May 7, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>Let me point out Facts that count. basketball does not trips to texas do not. The job they do in office does. Unemployment 6.9% Oct 2008 with good news of Obama being elected started and lowest under the Messiah has yet to reach high of Bush. National debt has gone up more in a little over two years than Bush in eight. So lets hope Obama spends 490 days in Texas and 149 at Camp David and less time on Basketball if that is what it takes to have Jobs and less debt.
Okay numb nuts, its cocktail hour and time for me to give you some tutelage into the antics of one each, George W Bush....
During his last year in office there were 4.4 million jobs lost and the downward trend carried over into Obama's watch.... Bush as a president showed the LOWEST number of jobs increase of ANY president EVER.........

Does DR-CAFTA ring a bell through your tin foil hat????
As if daddy Bush's fck up with NAFTA wasn't bad enough, his son invited a few more countries to the party in 2005 and for some strange fcking reason job growth slowed soon afterward and then just plummeted..... To put it bluntly McNutt, Bush didn't create
one (1) frigg'n private sector job in 8 years of office...
Clinton started office with an unemployment rate of 7.3 and ended with a rate of 4.2.... Bush took office with that 4.2 and left office with 6.5 and on the rise with the worst employment rate of any president in 70 years.....

Median household income under Clinton rose by $5,825 and fell by $1,273 under Bush....

The poverty rate during Clinton fell by 6.4 million people
and under Bush "increased" 5.4 million people....

Clinton leaves office with a SURPLUS of $236 billion and Bush leaves with the highest deficit in history....

These are the facts McNutt so now you can remove that halo from your George W Duhhhh Blow-Up Doll.....

McHenry, MD

#53 May 7, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text> Gas was under $2 a gallon when Bush left office now under Obama $4 a gallon.
I don't give a fck if it was .25 cents when Bush left office and
you're dumber than hell to even make such a statement when gas
prices zoomed to the $4.00 mark many times when Bush was in office...

OIL IS A WORLD COMMODITY AND THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES HAS NOT GOT A FCKING THING TO DO WITH ITS RETAIL PRICE AT THE PUMP...

Go to Europe helmet head,$8.00 a gallon and has been for quit some time.....

Tunbridge, VT

#54 May 8, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't give a fck if it was .25 cents when Bush left office and
you're dumber than hell to even make such a statement when gas
prices zoomed to the $4.00 mark many times when Bush was in office...
OIL IS A WORLD COMMODITY AND THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES HAS NOT GOT A FCKING THING TO DO WITH ITS RETAIL PRICE AT THE PUMP...
Go to Europe helmet head,$8.00 a gallon and has been for quit some time.....
I have been to Europe and it has been reported if take into account the tax breaks to big oil, gas in the US costs more. Europe pays at the pump we pay when we pay our taxes but with smoke & mirrors as we don't see it we think it's cheaper. Yes went to $4.00 under Bush then went down to uner $2.00. His policy of drill brough it down. So You are telling me Obama policy of no drilling in Gulf of Mexico or in most places in America because of environmental issues has nothing to do with price? Now when do you think "THE MESSIA" will read a speech from his "MAGIC TELLPROMTE" and bring the price down. What I find Intersting is $4.00 under Bush was his fault and is bad.$4.00 under Obama is due to others and is good.

McHenry, MD

#55 May 10, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>I have been to Europe and it has been reported if take into account the tax breaks to big oil, gas in the US costs more. Europe pays at the pump we pay when we pay our taxes but with smoke & mirrors as we don't see it we think it's cheaper. Yes went to $4.00 under Bush then went down to uner $2.00. His policy of drill brough it down. So You are telling me Obama policy of no drilling in Gulf of Mexico or in most places in America because of environmental issues has nothing to do with price? Now when do you think "THE MESSIA" will read a speech from his "MAGIC TELLPROMTE" and bring the price down. What I find Intersting is $4.00 under Bush was his fault and is bad.$4.00 under Obama is due to others and is good.
Prices went down because Bush lifted drilling bans?????
You're out of your fcking mind McNutt....
Bush/Recession= less demand, less production and lower prices which made Bush look like a God to idiots like you....

Once again I will explain to you, "OIL" is a fcking commodity on the "WORLD" market and if the USA were to start drilling in every nook and cranny within its borders starting today, it would not even put a small dent in overall world production nor would it effect oil prices..... It's also a fcking stupid ass assumption to blame Obama for rising gas prices because of his ban on drilling because at present, the US is producing more daily output of oil than it was during the entire Bush era.... "Blow that one out ur ass Buckwheat".....

Now to put this into perspective my little tin foil hat wearing friend, the US consumes over 20 million barrels of oil "per day".... The US currently produces 5.5 million per.... If Obama lifted his bans on exploration, predictions show that it would increase production by "maybe" 2 million barrels per day or in terms you might understand, "a flea on an elephants ass"....

And then there is the problem for drillers, who is going to supply the cash for all of this high risk exploration????
LSU

Elkridge, MD

#56 May 10, 2011
All this talk of drilling is getting me aroused!

McHenry, MD

#57 May 11, 2011
Why's that Stevie, you got a thing for power tools????

McHenry, MD

#58 May 11, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
Why's that Stevie, you got a thing for power tools????
Oppps, I meant to say "Interest in hand tools"....

Colchester, VT

#59 May 19, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Prices went down because Bush lifted drilling bans?????
You're out of your fcking mind McNutt....
Bush/Recession= less demand, less production and lower prices which made Bush look like a God to idiots like you....
Once again I will explain to you, "OIL" is a fcking commodity on the "WORLD" market and if the USA were to start drilling in every nook and cranny within its borders starting today, it would not even put a small dent in overall world production nor would it effect oil prices..... It's also a fcking stupid ass assumption to blame Obama for rising gas prices because of his ban on drilling because at present, the US is producing more daily output of oil than it was during the entire Bush era.... "Blow that one out ur ass Buckwheat".....
Now to put this into perspective my little tin foil hat wearing friend, the US consumes over 20 million barrels of oil "per day".... The US currently produces 5.5 million per.... If Obama lifted his bans on exploration, predictions show that it would increase production by "maybe" 2 million barrels per day or in terms you might understand, "a flea on an elephants ass"....
And then there is the problem for drillers, who is going to supply the cash for all of this high risk exploration????
Bush/resession Please bring it back unemployment tops of 7.7 Debt going up at a rate that is less than 1/3 of what it's now. How much longer do you think America can support Obama before we are ruined? If I Follow what you are saying Obama could only use oil to meet Amaricas energy needs. No Solar No Hydro just to name two. But when all is said and done REMEMBER all THE MESSISA has to do is get in front of his MAJIC TELEPROMPTER and promise good things. Like Unemployment will not go above 8%. one round of bailouts will work. When pass Obama health care the cost will go down [National average went up 7.3% last year]. Fact is Obama gives good speeches delivers bad results. So You give him credit for what he says I will point out the results.
Mr Obama

United States

#60 May 19, 2011
Alex, are you coming over for dinner tonight? Bring your buddy Mr. McNutt and we can discuss the worlds oil problems after we eat.

Colchester, VT

#61 May 19, 2011
Mr Obama wrote:
Alex, are you coming over for dinner tonight? Bring your buddy Mr. McNutt and we can discuss the worlds oil problems after we eat.
I got a better idea. Let us discuss why THE MESSIAH can find BILLIONS for Egypt but not fot American states & citys that are going broke.

McHenry, MD

#62 May 22, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>Bush/resession Please bring it back unemployment tops of 7.7 Debt going up at a rate that is less than 1/3 of what it's now. How much longer do you think America can support Obama before we are ruined? If I Follow what you are saying Obama could only use oil to meet Amaricas energy needs. No Solar No Hydro just to name two. But when all is said and done REMEMBER all THE MESSISA has to do is get in front of his MAJIC TELEPROMPTER and promise good things. Like Unemployment will not go above 8%. one round of bailouts will work. When pass Obama health care the cost will go down [National average went up 7.3% last year]. Fact is Obama gives good speeches delivers bad results. So You give him credit for what he says I will point out the results.
McNutt, the more you respond, the harder you step on your dick
with a blend of ignorance and Doi Di Doi.....

Let us return to the promises of one each George Bush, in 2001 when he so confidently informed the little people, "after we fund important priorities in the ongoing operations of our Government, I believe we ought to pay down national debt. And so my budget pays down a record $2 trillion in debt over the next 10 years."
Now lets see what actually happened!!!!!
They were forced to ask congress to raise the debt ceiling from $6 trillion to $9 trillion...(Turn on flashing applause sign)

Bush promises to help those in the Northeast by increasing the funding for energy assistance to the needy and what do you suppose happened????? HE CUT FUNDING TO THIS PROGRAM BY 20%....

Bush ran his pie hole and jammed the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND down educators throats with promises of federal support.... What happened when the dust settled was that the cost of implementing this mandatory program was roughly $600 per student and the Bush administration, "after budget cuts" was nice enough to hand over $80 per student forcing schools to devy up approximately $520 per student for this piece of shit program that is a total failure.....

Here is a good one for ya McNutt... Bush goes fcking bonzo in increasing defense spending "BUT" reduces the budget for taking care of our veterans....

No Solar No Hydro?????
As long as there is BIG OIL controlling the United States, there will never be any substantial effort or funding from the government, PERIOD....... This is another pile of shit left by the Bush administration when they basically cut all funding for research to pennies, and implemented more tax breaks for oil.....

s=2.9u^2 + 29u (where s=distance, u=initial velocity)
Here is your homework McNutt.... Using Newtons Law in respect to the out of control freight train that Bush handed over to Obama, please inform us of the proper solution or answer to this equation.....

South Burlington, VT

#63 May 22, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
McNutt, the more you respond, the harder you step on your dick
with a blend of ignorance and Doi Di Doi.....
Let us return to the promises of one each George Bush, in 2001 when he so confidently informed the little people, "after we fund important priorities in the ongoing operations of our Government, I believe we ought to pay down national debt. And so my budget pays down a record $2 trillion in debt over the next 10 years."
Now lets see what actually happened!!!!!
They were forced to ask congress to raise the debt ceiling from $6 trillion to $9 trillion...(Turn on flashing applause sign)
Bush promises to help those in the Northeast by increasing the funding for energy assistance to the needy and what do you suppose happened????? HE CUT FUNDING TO THIS PROGRAM BY 20%....
Bush ran his pie hole and jammed the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND down educators throats with promises of federal support.... What happened when the dust settled was that the cost of implementing this mandatory program was roughly $600 per student and the Bush administration, "after budget cuts" was nice enough to hand over $80 per student forcing schools to devy up approximately $520 per student for this piece of shit program that is a total failure.....
Here is a good one for ya McNutt... Bush goes fcking bonzo in increasing defense spending "BUT" reduces the budget for taking care of our veterans....
No Solar No Hydro?????
As long as there is BIG OIL controlling the United States, there will never be any substantial effort or funding from the government, PERIOD....... This is another pile of shit left by the Bush administration when they basically cut all funding for research to pennies, and implemented more tax breaks for oil.....
s=2.9u^2 + 29u (where s=distance, u=initial velocity)
Here is your homework McNutt.... Using Newtons Law in respect to the out of control freight train that Bush handed over to Obama, please inform us of the proper solution or answer to this equation.....
{POINT ONE} Giving you points on Bush even if 100% correct are you saying it is all right for Obama now that he is in charge of "the out of control freight train" greatly increase the speed?{POINT TWO} Increase of 5.7 trillion from January 2001 to December 2008 to 10.7 Trillion total 5 Trillion. under Bush. Under Obama by Febuary 2011 Increase of 3.5 trillion. A example of kicking the speed into overdrive. But at least can still find Billions for foreign aid. As he is so smart where are all the inprovements he promised?

McHenry, MD

#64 May 25, 2011
j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>{POINT ONE} Giving you points on Bush even if 100% correct are you saying it is all right for Obama now that he is in charge of "the out of control freight train" greatly increase the speed?{POINT TWO} Increase of 5.7 trillion from January 2001 to December 2008 to 10.7 Trillion total 5 Trillion. under Bush. Under Obama by Febuary 2011 Increase of 3.5 trillion. A example of kicking the speed into overdrive. But at least can still find Billions for foreign aid. As he is so smart where are all the inprovements he promised?
McNutt you don't even comprehend American Politics let alone stick your clueless conscience into how foreign aid works to benefit the US economy.... Since the tin foil hat thing is not working for you, might I suggest standing on your roof during a thunder storm while holding a 6 foot metal rod.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montpelier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Montpelier, VT May '15 coerrectone 5
News One of McAllister's alleged victims was an inte... May '15 McCann skool dropout 10
Debate: Occupy Wall St - Montpelier, VT (Nov '11) May '15 Harrison Snapp 10
News Bill Cosby: Consider his social message, not th... May '15 hmmm 1
News Hundreds join May Day demonstration at statehouse May '15 Elmer_J_Fudd 1
News Windsor officials worry about call to close prison Apr '15 jhimD 1
Lock and Load Apr '15 Community Disorga... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montpelier Mortgages