My Turn: Property tax structure hurts downtowns

Apr 15, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Burlington Free Press

Vermont's traditional downtown retail centers need our af fection. To under mine these historic but struggling commercial and civic centers would be a sad loss of our heritage.

Comments
1 - 20 of 74 Comments Last updated Jul 29, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 11

McHenry, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2011

Judged:

The politicians and people of Vermont are all responsible for the demise of DOWNTOWN which all
created when they allowed big box to steam roll
through the state like an out of control freight
train.....

Mr Pelham loves to throw around numbers but fails
to state how many millions were lost due to tax
incentives and rebates given to the likes of Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes.....

If he thinks things are bad now just wait until that battalion of attorneys from Walmart show up across Vermont demanding a tax abatement of half the assessed value of their property... That's an automatic for Walmart as soon as they open a Super Center....

You have got to be a complete idiot to think these stores save you money!!!!!!!!!!

LSU

Palatka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2011

Hey Scooter, he's talking to you!

Since: Jan 09

Ellsworth, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2011

Judged:

Ultra/Liberal?/Democrat Heaven. High taxes Low paying jobs what more could we want. We are just getting what Vermonters voted for.
LSU

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2011

j w mcsherry wrote:
Ultra/Liberal?/Democrat Heaven. High taxes Low paying jobs what more could we want. We are just getting what Vermonters voted for.
You voted for that?

Ellsworth, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

LSU wrote:
<quoted text>You voted for that?
Not me but a majority of Vermonters did.

McHenry, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

LSU wrote:
<quoted text>You voted for that?
He didn't vote for it but is one of the two faced idiots that
does 99.9% of his shopping there.....

South Burlington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2011

Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't vote for it but is one of the two faced idiots that
does 99.9% of his shopping there.....
Why not my family has lived in Bennington. Even before the war {ie Revolutionary War}. With then high price of { OBAMA GAS } it would cost more to shop out of town.

McHenry, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>Why not my family has lived in Bennington. Even before the war {ie Revolutionary War}. With then high price of { OBAMA GAS } it would cost more to shop out of town.
It for not to say for it not cause it to be it for all was it not????

Revolutionary war you say???? So you're like Lt Dan in Forrest Gump
with a family member going down to martyrdom in every war known to mankind????? "I pwedge aweedgence to da fwag"!!!!!!!!!!

Obama Gas???? That's odd McNutt, because as I recall it, it was the
GOP boyz club who handed out a $14 Billion tax break to big oil
because they only made a measly $50 Billion in profits...
Now as if that weren't enough, you have the GOP controlled House Natural Resources Committee pushing for more FREE MONEY incentives
to these greedy bastards for domestic oil production.....

Turn off your fcking TV and try reading McNutt... I suggest the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and the Washington Post, NOT the Bennington Banannener.....

Bennington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
It for not to say for it not cause it to be it for all was it not????
Revolutionary war you say???? So you're like Lt Dan in Forrest Gump
with a family member going down to martyrdom in every war known to mankind????? "I pwedge aweedgence to da fwag"!!!!!!!!!!
Obama Gas???? That's odd McNutt, because as I recall it, it was the
GOP boyz club who handed out a $14 Billion tax break to big oil
because they only made a measly $50 Billion in profits...
Now as if that weren't enough, you have the GOP controlled House Natural Resources Committee pushing for more FREE MONEY incentives
to these greedy bastards for domestic oil production.....
Turn off your fcking TV and try reading McNutt... I suggest the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and the Washington Post, NOT the Bennington Banannener.....
Allow me to say you have reached the level of the person who when I pointed out Joseph Kennedy said in Time magazine Hitler was the type America could work with answered I don't know enough abot Hitler to have a opinion. Now please tell me after over two years of { THE MESSIAh & his MAGIC TELEPROMPTER} gas has gone up 48% in just the last couple of months? Second if as you and only you look to be upset with the GOP tax cuts Answer this why did not [THE MESSIA with his SUPER MAJORITY repeal them? I can think of only three reasons. ONE he likes them. TWO he is so INCOMPETENT he was not able. Three he was so busy making his basketball picks he did not have the time.

McHenry, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>Allow me to say you have reached the level of the person who when I pointed out Joseph Kennedy said in Time magazine Hitler was the type America could work with answered I don't know enough abot Hitler to have a opinion. Now please tell me after over two years of { THE MESSIAh & his MAGIC TELEPROMPTER} gas has gone up 48% in just the last couple of months? Second if as you and only you look to be upset with the GOP tax cuts Answer this why did not [THE MESSIA with his SUPER MAJORITY repeal them? I can think of only three reasons. ONE he likes them. TWO he is so INCOMPETENT he was not able. Three he was so busy making his basketball picks he did not have the time.
Joseph Kennedy was a fcking gangster with a degree from Harvard tard boy and what the hell has he got to do with the price of tea in China????? His thoughts were that the United State should not get involved with any conflict between Britain and Germany... "So What"!!!!!

Every spring you can count on fuel prices rising by at least 10% because warm weather formulations are different than winter grade fuel.... See McNutt, you just learned something!!!!!! Blame that one on tree hugger Vermonters.....

Now since you are such an expert on microeconomics and their affects on oil pricing, please explain to me why in 2008 oil
prices rose 22% in the 2nd quarter and an additional 25% in the third quarter and at the same time the demand for oil was in a downward trend???? You might wanna turn that tinfoil hat to point towards the south-southwest for better reception before you try to answer.....

Big oil pays $95 million PER DAY in taxes to the fed but manage to recoup that loss in billions by fed subsidies... These subsides have been battled since their inception back in 1920's and NO PRESIDENT has ever been successful in cutting them so what makes you think Obama qualifies as the pied piper of oil greed??? The Republicans are the ones in bed with Big Oil to a percentage rate of around 80% which includes GOP Governors....$45 Billion was given to Big Oil by the Bush administration for exploration and Big Oil used those billions to buy up smaller oil companies in an effort to create the greediest of the greedy, Exxon and BP.... Now for some strange fcking reason the board of directors of all these greedy bastards seems to include ex GOP Politico's.... I guess that's just coincidental right McNutt???? After all, these guys needed a job when they lost their bid for reelection.....

Back to my question to you because I know you don't have the brain cell output to answer it.... Oil prices that exceed demand,(supply vs. demand) are generated by speculators within the futures market much like when Greenspan would talk his Fed shit and the S & P would go haywire and drop like rock and people were convinced that the sky was falling, much like you do with your dumb ass remarks against the Dems..... It has gotten to the point where as if you so much as set off a firecracker anywhere in the Middle East, the speculators are on the horn with news of a major crisis and futures rise..... This my little man, in many cases can be construed as what they call "artificial demand" which is why Obama wants an investigation into the market....

If and I mean IF Obama were to cut or trim these subsidies from big oil or increase their tax rate which in presently 9.2%, just who in the hell do you think is going to pay for it????? WE ARE Idiot!!!!!!!! Big Oil is not a public utility in this country and if the government tried to dictate a variable pricing structure using supply vs. demand whats going to stop them from doing the same damn thing with the auto industry and others......

Take a few pills and stay in bed McNutt, it's apparent you can't handle the truth and you may develop ulcers or have a breakdown.... If you become sick I won't have anybody to play with, Doi Di Doi Di Doi!!!!!!!!!!

South Burlington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Joseph Kennedy was a fcking gangster with a degree from Harvard tard boy and what the hell has he got to do with the price of tea in China????? His thoughts were that the United State should not get involved with any conflict between Britain and Germany... "So What"!!!!!
Every spring you can count on fuel prices rising by at least 10% because warm weather formulations are different than winter grade fuel.... See McNutt, you just learned something!!!!!! Blame that one on tree hugger Vermonters.....
Now since you are such an expert on microeconomics and their affects on oil pricing, please explain to me why in 2008 oil
prices rose 22% in the 2nd quarter and an additional 25% in the third quarter and at the same time the demand for oil was in a downward trend???? You might wanna turn that tinfoil hat to point towards the south-southwest for better reception before you try to answer.....
Big oil pays $95 million PER DAY in taxes to the fed but manage to recoup that loss in billions by fed subsidies... These subsides have been battled since their inception back in 1920's and NO PRESIDENT has ever been successful in cutting them so what makes you think Obama qualifies as the pied piper of oil greed??? The Republicans are the ones in bed with Big Oil to a percentage rate of around 80% which includes GOP Governors....$45 Billion was given to Big Oil by the Bush administration for exploration and Big Oil used those billions to buy up smaller oil companies in an effort to create the greediest of the greedy, Exxon and BP.... Now for some strange fcking reason the board of directors of all these greedy bastards seems to include ex GOP Politico's.... I guess that's just coincidental right McNutt???? After all, these guys needed a job when they lost their bid for reelection.....
Back to my question to you because I know you don't have the brain cell output to answer it.... Oil prices that exceed demand,(supply vs. demand) are generated by speculators within the futures market much like when Greenspan would talk his Fed shit and the S & P would go haywire and drop like rock and people were convinced that the sky was falling, much like you do with your dumb ass remarks against the Dems..... It has gotten to the point where as if you so much as set off a firecracker anywhere in the Middle East, the speculators are on the horn with news of a major crisis and futures rise..... This my little man, in many cases can be construed as what they call "artificial demand" which is why Obama wants an investigation into the market....
If and I mean IF Obama were to cut or trim these subsidies from big oil or increase their tax rate which in presently 9.2%, just who in the hell do you think is going to pay for it????? WE ARE Idiot!!!!!!!! Big Oil is not a public utility in this country and if the government tried to dictate a variable pricing structure using supply vs. demand whats going to stop them from doing the same damn thing with the auto industry and others......
Take a few pills and stay in bed McNutt, it's apparent you can't handle the truth and you may develop ulcers or have a breakdown.... If you become sick I won't have anybody to play with, Doi Di Doi Di Doi!!!!!!!!!!
ONE in Ultra/Liberal/Democrat the Kennedys are gods. So everything they do is right because they are Kennedy's. TWO As for Oil I don't follow you are having a good debate with Post # 8 Which says it was bad when Bush did it and now good because Obama keeps it. Which side are you on?

McHenry, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text> ONE in Ultra/Liberal/Democrat the Kennedys are gods. So everything they do is right because they are Kennedy's. TWO As for Oil I don't follow you are having a good debate with Post # 8 Which says it was bad when Bush did it and now good because Obama keeps it. Which side are you on?
I keep forgetting that you hold a degree in DUuuuuuuhhhhhhh....
The big lie to the American people was when Bush handed out these billions to Big Oil it was for job stimulus within the industry....
The results were just the opposite because jobs were lost when these greedy bastards tried to monopolize the market by buying up smaller oil companies and throwing their employees out on the street.....

As for the subsidies, like I said, they have been there for damn near 100 years and people have tried long before Obama to get rid of them, but it was always fought off by the GOP....

Read your fcking history books McNutt, the GOP is Big Oil and should be included when ever talking Big Oil/GOP!!!!!

Your boys are so two faced on the subject of Big Oil that it has come to the point where they tell one story in the morning and do just the opposite in the afternoon.... Case in point, Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-SC), shooting his mouth off last week about placing billions in oil subsidies on the chopping block but voted twice to extend $50 Billion in taxpayer subsidies to Big Oil....
Are all of you republicans skilled in the art of talking with a paper ass hole??????

South Burlington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep forgetting that you hold a degree in DUuuuuuuhhhhhhh....
The big lie to the American people was when Bush handed out these billions to Big Oil it was for job stimulus within the industry....
The results were just the opposite because jobs were lost when these greedy bastards tried to monopolize the market by buying up smaller oil companies and throwing their employees out on the street.....
As for the subsidies, like I said, they have been there for damn near 100 years and people have tried long before Obama to get rid of them, but it was always fought off by the GOP....
Read your fcking history books McNutt, the GOP is Big Oil and should be included when ever talking Big Oil/GOP!!!!!
Your boys are so two faced on the subject of Big Oil that it has come to the point where they tell one story in the morning and do just the opposite in the afternoon.... Case in point, Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-SC), shooting his mouth off last week about placing billions in oil subsidies on the chopping block but voted twice to extend $50 Billion in taxpayer subsidies to Big Oil....
Are all of you republicans skilled in the art of talking with a paper ass hole??????
Why not Debate the person in POST 8. Then answer my questions?? wWhy did not Obama repeal them? was it ONE he likes them TWO is he to incompent to do it THREE was he to busy with his Basketball picks
Elmer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text> Why not Debate the person in POST 8. Then answer my questions?? wWhy did not Obama repeal them? was it ONE he likes them TWO is he to incompent to do it THREE was he to busy with his Basketball picks
You have to forgive our friend Alex. He is normally reasonable, except when you criticize the dumbocrats. Other than that, he is on the sane side, but he can be a persistant pita. Too bad he's 'taken a shine to you'.

Just remember he works in the gas industry. That may increase his hatred of 'big oil' and the "Cheney/Haliburton" hurricane machine!

McHenry, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text> Why not Debate the person in POST 8. Then answer my questions?? wWhy did not Obama repeal them? was it ONE he likes them TWO is he to incompent to do it THREE
Please allow me to reiterate what I have said many times in the past, McNutt, you are one dumb sum bitch!!!!!

Why not Debate the person in POST 8????
Ummmmm, Post 8 is mine and I never talk to myself for fear of a response!!!!!

Why did not Obama repeal them?
Why for it thou see not for it thou shalt not be it for all but heard Jack and Jill did for go up thou hill so Jack could get
his Dick N Jane it was said!!!!!!!!

"NEWS FLASH" my little tin foil hat Guru of politics!!!!!
On Friday the GOP defeated a bill that would have taken away
$17 billion of that "GREED FUND" and added a 25% tax penalty to Big Oil companies who don't invest in new refineries and R & D for clean technology.... Personally, I don't give a flying fck if it hits $50 a gallon because I will still be able to afford it and I'm not leaving my money to some child diddling house of prayer when I die!!!!!

Was he to busy with his Basketball picks????
You keep using this comment and I find it somewhat racial....
Trust me, Obama is not the first president to join in with 75%
of the country with March Madness picks...... Oh shit wait a minute Louise, wasn't your tard boy down in Texas playing "MACHO MAN" cut'n and prun'n and burn'n him some brush and a mend'n them thar fence post so the critters didn't run awry when his spoiled children in the house and senate passed that gift of $45 billion
to Big Oil???? I believe he was.... Must have been afraid of some flying Rockport shoes when it passed!!!!!

Don't be blaming Obama on the rising price of gas McNutt....
There was even a quote in the Washington Post last week from
one of the Saudi oil ministers who said there no justification for the increasing prices in the United States....

Now since you don't read "GOOD NEWSPAPERS" there was also some other fine work done by the GOP when it tossed out that bill...
It seems it's okay to extend those gifts to big oil but the GOP also decided that the American people no longer deserved those energy tax credits and the one I find comical as hell, the GOP voted "AGAINST" a bill that would stop hedge fund managers from "deferring taxes paid on income held in offshore accounts"!!! Now why do you suppose they were against that one???? Oh Christ why am I asking you, you haven't got a fcking clue what a hedge fund is or how deferred taxes are structured.....

Harwich, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Please allow me to reiterate what I have said many times in the past, McNutt, you are one dumb sum bitch!!!!!
Why not Debate the person in POST 8????
Ummmmm, Post 8 is mine and I never talk to myself for fear of a response!!!!!
Why did not Obama repeal them?
Why for it thou see not for it thou shalt not be it for all but heard Jack and Jill did for go up thou hill so Jack could get
his Dick N Jane it was said!!!!!!!!
"NEWS FLASH" my little tin foil hat Guru of politics!!!!!
On Friday the GOP defeated a bill that would have taken away
$17 billion of that "GREED FUND" and added a 25% tax penalty to Big Oil companies who don't invest in new refineries and R & D for clean technology.... Personally, I don't give a flying fck if it hits $50 a gallon because I will still be able to afford it and I'm not leaving my money to some child diddling house of prayer when I die!!!!!
Was he to busy with his Basketball picks????
You keep using this comment and I find it somewhat racial....
Trust me, Obama is not the first president to join in with 75%
of the country with March Madness picks...... Oh shit wait a minute Louise, wasn't your tard boy down in Texas playing "MACHO MAN" cut'n and prun'n and burn'n him some brush and a mend'n them thar fence post so the critters didn't run awry when his spoiled children in the house and senate passed that gift of $45 billion
to Big Oil???? I believe he was.... Must have been afraid of some flying Rockport shoes when it passed!!!!!
Don't be blaming Obama on the rising price of gas McNutt....
There was even a quote in the Washington Post last week from
one of the Saudi oil ministers who said there no justification for the increasing prices in the United States....
Now since you don't read "GOOD NEWSPAPERS" there was also some other fine work done by the GOP when it tossed out that bill...
It seems it's okay to extend those gifts to big oil but the GOP also decided that the American people no longer deserved those energy tax credits and the one I find comical as hell, the GOP voted "AGAINST" a bill that would stop hedge fund managers from "deferring taxes paid on income held in offshore accounts"!!! Now why do you suppose they were against that one???? Oh Christ why am I asking you, you haven't got a fcking clue what a hedge fund is or how deferred taxes are structured.....
Again debate Post 8 Bush tax breaks to oil bad. Post 13 Obama keeping tax breaks good. Still say post 8 shoud debate post 13

McHenry, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

j w mcsherry wrote:
<quoted text>Again debate Post 8 Bush tax breaks to oil bad. Post 13 Obama keeping tax breaks good. Still say post 8 shoud debate post 13
Jesus Christ McNutt you are the KING of DUMB FCK!!!!
What part of the GOP defeated efforts last week to get rid
of those subsides didn't you fcking understand....
You got a bitch now, call a republican because they want it left
in place as is.....

This shit has been going on since March but I guess you didn't
understand a fcking part of it...

Read this ass hole......

http://dccc.org/blog/entry/house_republicans_...
LSU

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Calm down Alex, your going to have a stroke next!

McHenry, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

LSU wrote:
Calm down Alex, your going to have a stroke next!
Probably!!!! The doc told me to avoid stress which means avoiding stupid....
LSU

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably!!!! The doc told me to avoid stress which means avoiding stupid....
Hey, leave Marky out of this! How's the weather down Aruba way? I still haven't made it there yet.....we talked about again this weekend for our next adventure in the future.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Montpelier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OMG....they allow you people to vote? Aug 5 New Englander 2
Ship illegal cockroaches to vermont Jul '14 Former New Englander 1
Bothersome bear damages cars in Island Pond Jul '14 zoom46 1
IBM leadership notifies Shumlin of layoffs Jun '14 Snooker 6
Barre School Board: Teachers must lead pledge Apr '14 Atheists are patr... 2
New GMO Label Law- VTs 32 Pieces of Sh-t Apr '14 Monsanto is Evil 1
Animal cruelty charges at Santa's Land Mar '14 Flat Lander 3

Search the Montpelier Forum:
•••
•••