Single-payer option in Vt.? Experts to discuss possibility

Full story: Brattleboro Reformer

Vermont could become a national model for advancing health care reform, said Richard Davis, a local health care advocate.
Comments
1 - 20 of 50 Comments Last updated Feb 4, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Local

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2010

Good! We could die waiting for the feds to do anything meaningful about health care.
flat lander

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2010

Judged:

There is single payer already. Half of us are paying and half get it for free, ah no the first half are paying the way for all
Aaron Kent

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2010

Local wrote:
Good! We could die waiting for the feds to do anything meaningful about health care.
Why wait for the Feds? Shouldn't it be a State level function since it's more local and your voice and opinion would be heard more loudly?
TNB

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2010

Who pays for the free health care? Oh,thats right, the taxpayers who now pay for their own insurance will be expected to pay for the "free" health care for the uninsured. Great plan, Comrade.....
Clean it up

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

It is not a right, it is a benefit. You should have to work to earn a benefit.
Will not work

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Single payer health care is a system similar to that of social security; one big pot split amongst all. We see how well that is working out for us. It will soon be broke. How will this system of health remain sustainable in the future? Let me answer that, it won't!! It will be borrowed from and stolen from, doctors will raise their cost knowing the "Government" is paying for it, and it will become bankrupt. How much will our taxes rise for this charade? Another great idea. Why is it that the answer is never to cut taxes to businesses to allow them to HIRE more people and provide them with benefits they will earn themselves and get off the damn system?
Aaron Kent

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Will not work wrote:
Why is it that the answer is never to cut taxes to businesses to allow them to HIRE more people and provide them with benefits they will earn themselves and get off the damn system?
Because that makes too much sense and is considered jive talk in VT.
Merry Crispness

Brattleboro, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Stupid right-wingers, never tiring of claiming that cutting taxes is the solution to every problem. That does no more good than raising taxes.

Stupid right-wingers also delude themselves that they are now going to have to pay for free care for others, when in fact they already are, and it's the most expensive kind, at the emergency room.

Health care is like education; if you leave it to the private market, a lot of people will never get any. Private insurers cherry-pick the rich and healthy and leave everyone else to rot. Like education, health care needs a public option. By combining universal coverage with cost-control measures, we'll get better and less exorbitant health care, like the 36 countries that have cheaper care and better health than the U.S.
Aaron Kent

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
Stupid right-wingers, never tiring of claiming that cutting taxes is the solution to every problem. That does no more good than raising taxes.
Lowering taxes and reducing spending is bad? Do you not do that with your own personal finances? But seriously if lower and raising taxes isn't good then you must have been in favor of extending the Bush era tax cuts? Didn't think so stupid left-winger.
Merry Crispness wrote:
Stupid right-wingers also delude themselves that they are now going to have to pay for free care for others, when in fact they already are, and it's the most expensive kind, at the emergency room.
Yes we are already paying for others, and if your silly health care system passes it will increase to cover even more people, no thanks.
Merry Crispness wrote:
Health care is like education; if you leave it to the private market, a lot of people will never get any. Private insurers cherry-pick the rich and healthy and leave everyone else to rot. Like education, health care needs a public option. By combining universal coverage with cost-control measures, we'll get better and less exorbitant health care, like the 36 countries that have cheaper care and better health than the U.S.
There is a public education system that is available to ever child in this country, stupid left-winger. You just want a hand out and get free health care and have people motivated themselves to get out and do something with thier lives pay for it. Health insurance should be a benefit that is offered from an employer, give the company tax breaks for hiring and offering health care that way freeloaders will HAVE to get a job.
What 36 countries have cheaper care and better health than the U.S?
Merry Crispness

Brattleboro, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Aaron Kent wrote:
<quoted text>
Lowering taxes and reducing spending is bad?
Who said that? I said it's not the solution to every problem. It's not going to fix the economy, for instance, according to just about any economist. Lowering taxes doesn't lead directly to job creation, and it certainly does NOT help fix the deficit problem.
Aaron Kent wrote:
you must have been in favor of extending the Bush era tax cuts?
Yep - for most people. I'm not in favor of extending Bush tax cuts for the wealthy because it's fiscally irresponsible - raising the debt & borrowing money to subsidize people who don't need it. The Greed Society.
Aaron Kent wrote:
Yes we are already paying for others, and if your silly health care system passes it will increase to cover even more people, no thanks.
So you're OK with a country where over 40 million people, most of them working, have no health coverage? I'd say that makes you an anti-patriot.
Aaron Kent wrote:
There is a public education system that is available to ever child in this country
That's my point - HELLO?!?! The private market will never provide education or health care for everybody; it's more profitable to cover the rich & healthy and let the others rot. That's anti-American.
Aaron Kent wrote:
Health insurance should be a benefit that is offered from an employer, give the company tax breaks for hiring and offering health care that way freeloaders will HAVE to get a job.
WRONG! That's in your wonderful world of right-wing theory. It has nothing to do with reality. No other industrialized country puts health insurance on the backs of business, and many of those countries are now passing us by.
Aaron Kent wrote:
What 36 countries have cheaper care and better health than the U.S?
The U.S. has the most expensive health care system per capita, and according to the World Health Organization we rank 37th in the overall quality of health services, measured by things like life expectancy, maternal & child health, disease incidence, etc. We're actually 48th in life expectancy. Any patriotic person can see that this is unacceptable and needs to be reformed.

Yet the industry lobbyists have got gullible right-wingers convinced that this is a government take-over of health care and that that's a fate worse than death.

Too bad, it was a great country.
XXX

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

i love how liberals act like only they know who deserves to keep their money, and who does not. the ignorance in their narrow view is so incredibly entertaining, if it were not so incredibly anti-american.

and to add insult to injury, they have fooled themselves into believing their baked government run wet dream is actually going to reduce costs. absolutely insane.
estanson

Jericho, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
its my favorite when libs name another faile dprogram as an example for MORE FEDERAL involvement...

you mean the FAILING public education system?
like the post office, these programs are a designed financial loss because including the entire public is ultra expensive...
equal access requires a post office for 1 person as much as for 1 million people...in short, the definition of unsutainable..

education is also a great example ...forget the current finance problems....check out the policy of inclusion...
so that the very bottom students can do better, they are included with the top students...
the top students are then forced to go at the pace of the very bottom....

these systems are always pitched as ways of bringing the bottom up...but we all know that they bring the top and middle DOWN.

Since: Dec 10

Ron Paul 2012

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
Who said that? I said it's not the solution to every problem. It's not going to fix the economy, for instance, according to just about any economist. Lowering taxes doesn't lead directly to job creation, and it certainly does NOT help fix the deficit problem.
If less taxes are paid it leaves more money for a company to grow and create jobs. If you as an individual pay less taxes you spend that money in commerce in your local community (Buy local campaign). Basically growth from the top and bottom.
Merry Crispness wrote:
Yep - for most people. I'm not in favor of extending Bush tax cuts for the wealthy because it's fiscally irresponsible - raising the debt & borrowing money to subsidize people who don't need it. The Greed Society.
Where exactly do you start not giving tax breaks? 250k? 300k? Most small buisness, the root to stimulating local economy, would fall into the "wealthy" category.
Merry Crispness wrote:
So you're OK with a country where over 40 million people, most of them working, have no health coverage? I'd say that makes you an anti-patriot.
Does it really make me an anti-Patriot? Does it really make me an anti-Patriot that the businesses that employ them if offered a substantial tax break if they offered health coverage? Have the businesses buy into coverage as a group. I firmly believe that someone who does not work, who physically and mentally can but doesn't work, should not be offered coverage unless they can pay for it. Also my twelve years serving this country would beg to differ with the anti-Patriot label, don't even go there.
Merry Crispness wrote:
That's my point - HELLO?!?! The private market will never provide education or health care for everybody; it's more profitable to cover the rich & healthy and let the others rot. That's anti-American.
You missed my point. Go ask the people of Hinsdale just how nice they enjoy the taxes they pay for that school. My fiancee is a teacher and I hear all the time just how much money is wasted on spending in the school system that doesn't benefit the children, yet school boards cry about the budgets not getting passed while they walk around with brand new crackberries. You say private coverage systems are corrupt but thats exactly what would happen if Washington controlled it, if you don't believe me look up Medicare/Social Security fraud. You are correct that Nutrition/Healthy living does need to be educated to the public, but why should I have to pay for some fat ass to get his third triple by-pass because he can't stop going to McDonalds and ordering a triple cheeseburger everytime he passes by.
Merry Crispness wrote:
WRONG! That's in your wonderful world of right-wing theory. It has nothing to do with reality. No other industrialized country puts health insurance on the backs of business, and many of those countries are now passing us by.
Most countries do not have the population we have or the logistical nightmare of running a health care system that would be as HUGE as the one you propose

Honestly I really don't care what the W.H.O. says.
Merry Crispness

Brattleboro, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

So - just more of your ideological theory - let the marketplace do everything. Just cut taxes and businesses will automatically create jobs, with health care.

You live your life with blinders on.
Aaron Kent wrote:
Honestly I really don't care what the W.H.O. says.
That just about says it all - never mind data, never mind that our place in the world has seriously slipped and continues slipping; to hell with any intrusion of reality into your theoretical dreamscape where the Magic Marketplace cures all ills with tax cuts! You've got stars in your eyes, dreamer!
Will not work

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

estanson wrote:
<quoted text>
its my favorite when libs name another faile dprogram as an example for MORE FEDERAL involvement...
you mean the FAILING public education system?
like the post office, these programs are a designed financial loss because including the entire public is ultra expensive...
equal access requires a post office for 1 person as much as for 1 million people...in short, the definition of unsutainable..
education is also a great example ...forget the current finance problems....check out the policy of inclusion...
so that the very bottom students can do better, they are included with the top students...
the top students are then forced to go at the pace of the very bottom....
these systems are always pitched as ways of bringing the bottom up...but we all know that they bring the top and middle DOWN.
You are absolutely correct. I saw a television documentary about how a proffessor broke his class up into groups, by grades. He had them do a 4 week graded project. At the end of the first week they all had an A. By week 4 they all failed. This was due to the fact that all of the "go getters" started out working hard to get a good grade. Well into the project the energetic students realized they were doing all the work and the lazy students were doing nothing but going along for the ride knowing they would share in a good grade. All of the energetic students unconciously slacked off wondering why they were doing all of the work. They figured that they would be just as lazy as the others. Eventually no work was getting done and they all failed. That is why successful people are successful. They work hard and have pride in themselves. The lazy ones sit around and complain about why the successful people don't want to help pay for them. GET A JOB!!!

Since: Dec 10

Ron Paul 2012

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
So - just more of your ideological theory - let the marketplace do everything. Just cut taxes and businesses will automatically create jobs, with health care.
You live your life with blinders on.
<quoted text>
That just about says it all - never mind data, never mind that our place in the world has seriously slipped and continues slipping; to hell with any intrusion of reality into your theoretical dreamscape where the Magic Marketplace cures all ills with tax cuts! You've got stars in your eyes, dreamer!
We have a fundamental difference of opinion. We are both in reality. No need to get ignorant dude.
TNB

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
In those other countries it ain't cheaper and it sure ain't better.If you believe so you're naive or stupid yourself!
Anywhere

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
So, when you get sick - which one of those 36 countries are you going for treatment? Oh and give us specfics on how you want to control costs?
Local

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2010

Anywhere wrote:
Oh and give us specfics on how you want to control costs?
I assume you meant to say 'specifics'. It's easy, the first few things to do: cut out the insurance companies and their astronomical profit margin (I want affordable health care, not health insurance); get rid of the preferential treatment of the pharmaceutical companies (like the legislation where the federal gov't was BARRED from seeking group discount rates); get a handle on overcharges for hospital stays, testing, etc..

This is not rocket science. It's the corporate profit-taking that's the problem. We can afford to pay health care providers well, it's all the layers of profit that cause the high costs.
estanson

Jericho, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2010

Local wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume you meant to say 'specifics'. It's easy, the first few things to do: cut out the insurance companies and their astronomical profit margin (I want affordable health care, not health insurance); get rid of the preferential treatment of the pharmaceutical companies (like the legislation where the federal gov't was BARRED from seeking group discount rates); get a handle on overcharges for hospital stays, testing, etc..
This is not rocket science. It's the corporate profit-taking that's the problem. We can afford to pay health care providers well, it's all the layers of profit that cause the high costs.
explain how non-profits (medicare medicaid) who are MAJOR players in the field fair no better?

the first thing you have to wrap your mind around is that cutting edge healthcare is EXPENSIVE...

The first REAl solution is to provide greater Acess...ya know...increase SUPPLY...
in short, why cant the fed just set up some funds for scholarships for doctors who then have to work in low income clinics for a few years out of med school?
if the routine stuff costs WAY less, then we save the funds for the cutting edge stuff which is just going to be expensive...
I dont get how libs think we can just make a rule that care is not expensive...

take that drug rule...
in REALITY...that rule where the federal gov't was BARRED from seeking group discount rates means a promise of great profits for INNOVATION...It means we will always have a SUPPLY...
have you noticed that folks dont wait here for drugs?
Even ones that are BRAND NEW?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Montpelier Discussions

Search the Montpelier Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OMG....they allow you people to vote? Jul 15 Former New Englander 2
Ship illegal cockroaches to vermont Jul 15 Former New Englander 2
Bothersome bear damages cars in Island Pond Jul '14 zoom46 1
IBM leadership notifies Shumlin of layoffs Jun '14 Snooker 6
Barre School Board: Teachers must lead pledge Apr '14 Atheists are patriots too 2
New GMO Label Law- VTs 32 Pieces of Sh-t Apr '14 Monsanto is Evil 1
Animal cruelty charges at Santa's Land Mar '14 Flat Lander 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Montpelier Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Montpelier People Search