Lobby calls for $1-a-pack tax hike

Lobby calls for $1-a-pack tax hike

There are 99 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Feb 1, 2011, titled Lobby calls for $1-a-pack tax hike. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Puffing on a Marlboro outside a coin-operated laundry, 19-year-old Dan Blanchard was quick to say how he feels about a plan to add a $1-a-pack tax on cigarettes bought in Vermont.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

Juno

Williamstown, MA

#23 Feb 2, 2011
I live in Mass. and purchase my cigs in Vermont as do a lot of Mass. folks. If Vermont continues to raise thier prices they will lose a lot of out of state revenue.
Juno

Williamstown, MA

#24 Feb 2, 2011
Even though i am a smoker, I find it hard to defend the act. However,on a differant note,those of you who don't supports the rights of others irrespctive of your dislike of that right are faceing the threat of one of thier rights being infringed upon. if you give the government more control over your life it only serves to encourage them to strip more and more of your rights. In other words, I may not agree with a persons life style but I will defend his/her right to life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
who are you

Bennington, VT

#25 Feb 2, 2011
Free_America wrote:
<quoted text>The bans are starting to crumble. Your state is being sued by the Libertarians, Wisconsin has a new Governor who will sign the repeal,Minnesota is working on exemptions, like I said you are all failures just like your silly little ban!
have you sought any psychiatric help for your delusions?
rod56

Shelton, CT

#26 Feb 2, 2011
Vermont dosen't care who they tax just as long as they get more money so they can waste,,just as same as Obama and all his piggys can waste..KEEP TAKING AWAY FROM THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AS SOON WE WILL BE DOING THE SAME AS OTHER COUNTRY IS DOING AGAINST THEIR GOVERMENT...
HumanSpirit

Live Oak, FL

#27 Feb 2, 2011
I see the government is on to the reduction of salt. I agree.

As a chemical, salt has adverse effects with certain Pharmacutical drugs and it does cause high blood pressure.

I think the reduction of Statin drugs should be a priority and would be far more cost effective given the side effects and paralysis it causes.

Chantix and the other Pharmacutical mind drugs need to be removed from the market place altogether. They have a long history of suicide, mass murder and violence. They are a threat to the society.

The only people that prosper from the toxic Pharmacutical mind chemicals are the Pharmacutical and Mental Health Industry along with the private (Republican sponsored )prison system along with the investor in these drugs of human destruction. Don't overlook the courts in the forced medication and the cruel and unusual punishment in the castrating of the human mind. The forced mind drugs violate civil rights.

As we know medically, there has been no neurological test to state anyone has a mental disorder. Psychiatry wouldn't know a good chemical balance from a bad chemical balance. There is no medical model to psychiatry and there is no evidence based medicine. The Pharmacutical / mental health industry admitted it lied about chemical balance to drug the population.

The cost of financially feeding the mental health industry represents 70 percent of our disability payouts at the federal level and that doesn't account for the state level of government. It is the largest problem with healthcare we have.

The high Pharmacutical costs are based on payoffs and kickbacks to doctors and politicians to support the drugs. The drugs as we know, cause severe side effects and that represent other medical costs to the taxpayer.

Certainly smokers have been addicted to the tobacco and the federal government should pay the cost since the government failed to protect the citizens. A hundred thousand dollars per person should be levied against the Pharmacutical industry for introducing a drug that is addictive and that will cost (more in the long run) to the government from adverse medical problems then cigarettes. A 99.9 percent tax on CEO bonuses and pay backs to doctors writing mind drug prescriptions should be a good start. Individuals should be allowed to file a class action suit against the tobacco industry.
HumanSpirit

Live Oak, FL

#28 Feb 2, 2011
In November 2007, the FDA announced that a number of patients taking CHANTIX either committed or attempted suicide. Since then, the FAA prohibited pilots and air traffic controllers from taking CHANTIX. Also, commercial bus drivers and interstate truckers cannot receive their certifications if they are taking CHANTIX.
CHANTIX affects dopamine levels in the brain very similar to the way antidepressants work. When PFIZER conducted studies into the adverse events associated with CHANTIX use, they excluded alcoholics and patients that had a history of depression and other neural psychological conditions. In essence, PFIZER excluded patients most vulnerable to suicidal thoughts from participating in these adverse events studies.CHANTIX MAY WORSEN PREEXISTING PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESSES.
dozens of lawsuits are currently pending naming Pfizer Inc., as a defendant for failing to adequately warn patients of the risk involved in taking CHANTIX.
IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY TAKING CHANTIX AND HAVING SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, TELL YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY.
Tax the idiots

AOL

#29 Feb 2, 2011
rod56 wrote:
Vermont dosen't care who they tax just as long as they get more money so they can waste,,just as same as Obama and all his piggys can waste..KEEP TAKING AWAY FROM THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AS SOON WE WILL BE DOING THE SAME AS OTHER COUNTRY IS DOING AGAINST THEIR GOVERMENT...
Here youo can see a REAL American talking. NOT!
You are a fu88ing addict. A true peckerhead. You are willing to rise up against the government and for what??????? A stupid cigarette. A cigarette is more important to you than your country. You are worse than a crack wh0re. At least a crack wh0re cares about her country. Tell you what- get on the next plane to Egypt. I'll bet THEY don't tax cigarettes- at least not nearly as much as they tax them here. Then you can have a smoke while you riot and destroy priceless artifacts. Either that or take a bullet and blow your brains out. Over here, in America, you are a waste of skin and we really do not need you.
Tax the idiots

AOL

#30 Feb 2, 2011
emma74 wrote:
Being a confirmed smoker I want to say: "Please, get off smokers back!!!" We pay our health insurance, we pay extremely high excise tax on cigarettes. I wonder how long smokers will be a cash-cow for our government! It seems like all this hubbub around smoking harm was exaggerated with the main purpose to get as high tax revenue from smokers as possible! I'm fed up of spending a fortune on cigarettes in this country. European cigarettes are not worse, but they are much more cheaper. A carton of Marlboro http://www.smokin4free.com costs me just $20,40 plus shipping.
Yeah- you are for real, aren't you.£4.35 is a CHEAP rate for smokes in England. In Germany they are about 5 Euros a pack. So there is NO way that you can get European smokes for just over $2.00 a pack. You are either giving your credit card number to a bunch of thieves who will bleed your account dry or you are buying some very cheap Chinese imitations that will kill you even quicker than the American brands (anyone remember the pet food deaths due to the Chinese?) Anyways, go ahead and buy them. Smokers are a bunch of idiots anyways and deserve to be screwed. Tax the smokes, let em get ripped off or let them buy true poison sticks. Makes no difference to me.
Fore

Grundy, VA

#31 Feb 2, 2011
Tax the idiots wrote:
<quoted text>
Here youo can see a REAL American talking. NOT!
You are a fu88ing addict. A true peckerhead. You are willing to rise up against the government and for what??????? A stupid cigarette. A cigarette is more important to you than your country. You are worse than a crack wh0re. At least a crack wh0re cares about her country. Tell you what- get on the next plane to Egypt. I'll bet THEY don't tax cigarettes- at least not nearly as much as they tax them here. Then you can have a smoke while you riot and destroy priceless artifacts. Either that or take a bullet and blow your brains out. Over here, in America, you are a waste of skin and we really do not need you.
Welcome to the New America, I can't wait till all America takes this attitude toward anything and everything. Sounds like a great place to live, huh?
smokes for negros

Brookline, MA

#32 Feb 2, 2011
X-Vermonter wrote:
Guess I'll have to start bootlegging smokes into Vermont from the south... Marlboro Winston $42.50
Kools and Newport for the brothers and sistas $47.50..
And while we're at it, why do cigarette companies always charge more for brands popular with black folk?????
I wasn't aware of any racial preference for cigarettes. Please share what are the cigs that blacks smoke that whites do not.

“Congrats to Green Bay”

Since: Jun 08

Pittsburgh, Pa

#33 Feb 2, 2011
smokes for negros wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't aware of any racial preference for cigarettes. Please share what are the cigs that blacks smoke that whites do not.
Well now, your inquisitive comment tells me that you are a
white Benningtonian that has never ventured past West Road, Pownal,
Manchester or Woodford....

For starters, the comment I used was "popular with black folk"
and not exclusive to blacks....
Studies have shown that over 60% of all blacks smoke and they make
up for almost 70%/80% of the Menthol Cigarette Market.... Their smoke of choice, NEWPORT and KOOLS.... Think I'm joking, ask a black person what the cigarette of choice is among those in the hood....

What cigarette cost the most, MENTHOL....
What cigarette is the hardest to quit, MENTHOL....
Cigarette most often stolen, NEWPORT and KOOLS....

“Veritas Vincit. Pro Libertate”

peoples republic of Madison

#34 Feb 2, 2011
X-Vermonter wrote:
<quoted text>
up for almost 70%/80% of the Menthol Cigarette Market.... Their smoke of choice, NEWPORT and KOOLS.... Think I'm joking, ask a black person what the cigarette of choice is among those in the hood....
Anyone that doubts you can go to fellow freedom of choice fighter.
http://www.prossmoker.net/

“Congrats to Green Bay”

Pittsburgh, Pa

#35 Feb 3, 2011
Free_America wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone that doubts you can go to fellow freedom of choice fighter.
http://www.prossmoker.net/
And then there is the case where Lorillard was passing out FREE
packs of Newports to kids in the inner cities and housing projects.... They target the black population more than Colt 45
and Kool Aid.....

“Congrats to Green Bay”

Pittsburgh, Pa

#36 Feb 3, 2011
Free_America wrote:
<quoted text>I smoke inside and I will when I visit Ohio. As we all know bans like those pushing them are natural born failures. History has proven this time and time again. Those upper crust smokers bow to no one especially trailer trash like you. BTW quit licking your dog, he doesn't like it, grow your own bone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Ban on smoking in Pa restaurants and bars has turned into a total
joke as they don't have the resources to enforce it....
Establishments have for the most part filed for exemption from the
law because it is killing their bar business and those who sell more liquor than food are now exempt from the ban....

Surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that nicotine levels in cigarettes have increased by over 10% in the last 5 years....
LSU

United States

#37 Feb 3, 2011
X-Vermonter wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a black man from the hood, I have to agree that Alex is right on this one. The majority of black folks do smoke MENTHOL cigarettes and if not are smoking blunts filled with imported weed. Having much more money than most brothers, I personally prefer Treasurer Black Cigarettes from Bonds of London. These are excellent when I have an occasional smoke but if not a cigarette, then some good home grown weed from a friend in Salvo NC. will work.
DBTT

Arlington, VT

#38 Feb 3, 2011
You are all a bunch of ignorant losers, find something better to do than whine on a stupid little newspaper article. Idiots.

#39 Feb 3, 2011
X-Vermonter wrote:
<quoted text>
And then there is the case where Lorillard was passing out FREE
packs of Newports to kids in the inner cities and housing projects.... They target the black population more than Colt 45
and Kool Aid.....
I thought they had to quit giving samples after the MSA.

#40 Feb 3, 2011
DBTT wrote:
You are all a bunch of ignorant losers, find something better to do than whine on a stupid little newspaper article. Idiots.
Naw the whiney losers like you pushing for smoking bans and highter taxes should be thrown in jail for theft.

A right, such as a right to free speech, imposes no obligation on another, except that of non-interference. The so-called right to health care, food or housing, whether a person can afford it or not, is something entirely different; it does impose an obligation on another. If one person has a right to something he didn't produce, simultaneously and of necessity it means that some other person does not have right to something he did produce. That's because, since there's no Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy, in order for government to give one American a dollar, it must, through intimidation, threats and coercion, confiscate that dollar from some other American.

Walter E. Williams

Many people want the government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.
Milton Friedman

I'm in favor of legalizing drugs. According to my values system, if people want to kill themselves, they have every right to do so. Most of the harm that comes from drugs is because they are illegal.
Milton Friedman

BTW were you aware that most of the drug laws were racially motivated.
http://veritasvincitprolibertate.wordpress.co...
jgadsden

Windsor, VT

#41 Feb 3, 2011
check the news folks...

first they came for cigartettes and you said nothing
then they came for soda and sugar and you said nothing...
the Fed is now on salt...
wait until salt is taxed to be 10 times is actual price...

its not WHAT they are forbidding by tax, its that they ARE forbidding by tax!
either make them illegal or dont!

How about a 1000% tax on bullets?
or red meat...
or coffee...
Concerned

Manchester Center, VT

#42 Feb 3, 2011
jgadsden wrote:
check the news folks...
first they came for cigartettes and you said nothing
then they came for soda and sugar and you said nothing...
the Fed is now on salt...
wait until salt is taxed to be 10 times is actual price...
its not WHAT they are forbidding by tax, its that they ARE forbidding by tax!
either make them illegal or dont!
How about a 1000% tax on bullets?
or red meat...
or coffee...
If things keep going the way they are we will see huge taxes on those items the government considers "unhealthy" Heavy taxation does not stop people from indulging (well maybe a few) all it does in create a very profitable black market.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montpelier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Congressman wants FDA to take action against 'f... Jan 14 Go Blue Forever 22
Read All Books Authored or Co-Authored By Trump Jan 13 Moscowman 3
Mikela Underwood missing Jan 7 Anonymous 2
Google: TRUMP And The Politics And Business Pra... Nov '16 Truth is Truth 2
News News 14 Mins Ago Sanders' wife defends non-disc... Nov '16 Lawrence Wolf 18
Dear Senator Sanders-------HELP Me Out ! (Jul '16) Nov '16 WATCHDOG 6
Cough Syrup and Opioids Available Nov '16 Connect 1

Montpelier Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montpelier Mortgages