Vermont-wide TV hearing on health care planned

Feb 13, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: BurlingtonFreePress.com

MONTPELIER -- Vermont lawmakers are holding a statewide public hearing -- via Vermont Interactive Television -- to give people the chance to express their opinions about a health care bill being proposed by Gov.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Concerned

Bennington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2011

Great I would love to attend and suggest others do the same. However, the link provided to obtain locations and driving directions does not provide same. Perhaps one needs to call their local media sources for more info,
jgadsden

Jericho, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

it seems to me that in a small state like Vermont, we could actualkly do something to lower the costs of actually providing care...

take whatever dough we can and put it towards starting a new medical center in Springfield, VT. It shoul dbe a teaching hospital like Dartmouth tied to the new Vermont Medical School. The state will repay student loans in full each year the graduated doctor practices in VT at reduced rates.

Like the law school, a clinic would no doubt open at the school that would service all of southern vermont...

Also like the law school, the quality of life will draw applicants from around the nation and we would have (gasp) a flood of new doctors into the state....

PLUS, vermonters could be born in vermont and the medical dough will not slip across to NH...
A Dartmouth in Springfield Vermont would keep VT dollars in vermont and would provide the entire strata of employment opportunities to a community that really needs it...

increasing supply thereby reducing demand and thus cost...what a crazy idea...

as compared to the single payor that is saving 8 cents per dollar and does nothing with regards to the actual cost of care except to spread it wider...
Jollycurmudgeon

North Bennington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

jgadsden wrote:
it seems to me that in a small state like Vermont, we could actualkly do something to lower the costs of actually providing care...
take whatever dough we can and put it towards starting a new medical center in Springfield, VT. It shoul dbe a teaching hospital like Dartmouth tied to the new Vermont Medical School. The state will repay student loans in full each year the graduated doctor practices in VT at reduced rates.
Like the law school, a clinic would no doubt open at the school that would service all of southern vermont...
Also like the law school, the quality of life will draw applicants from around the nation and we would have (gasp) a flood of new doctors into the state....
PLUS, vermonters could be born in vermont and the medical dough will not slip across to NH...
A Dartmouth in Springfield Vermont would keep VT dollars in vermont and would provide the entire strata of employment opportunities to a community that really needs it...
as compared to the single payor that is saving 8 cents per dollar and does nothing with regards to the actual cost of care except to spread it wider...
Where have you been for the last two years. The only way they can reduce costs for medical services in Vermont is to reduce medical care. If they don't reduce the amount of services they will pay for then they have to raise taxes. The claims that somehow administrative reform will cut costs is unproven and disputed. The claim that anything administered by government is more expensive has been proven over and over again. They are proposing that a board oversee what insurers can charge for premiums like utilities. This will raise, not lower, administrative costs. This is when the discussion of what services they have to pay for will come up. This board will agree that certain services will no longer have to be offered and the people seeking treatment will have their treatment options restricted. This has to happen under the system they are proposing.

Vermont already has 625 state and local employees for every 100,000 people which is 117 per hundred thousand more than the New England average. We already are the highest taxed state in the country with respect to disposable income.

We can't afford health care reform. Nor do we need reform as 80% of us with health insurance rate our current insurance good to excellent. The cure is going to be much worse than the disease. We already drove almost all private health care insurers out of state. If we hadn't health insurance premiums in this healthiest state in the country would be much lower. This indirect tax in the form of higher insurance premiums is being paid solely by the middle class in Vermont because we do not have very many wealthy people.

Open your eyes. We cannot do this. In fact I will make a prediction. Despite all this talk it is not going to happen.
Concerned

Bennington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2011

jgadsden wrote:
I like you idea-BUT

Actually one would think Vermont being so small-the solution would be easy. However, approximately 190,000 people are ,accoridng to stats, considered disabled. Then according to a report in the Rutland Hearld last summer 1 out of six families in Vermont are on some form of Social Service program. Therefore we have a large base of people requring help and a small base of working people (tax base) in Vermont.
This Vermonter

Hardwick, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2011

We must ask; can physician prescribed death honestly be considered 'health’ care?
This Vermonter

Hardwick, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2011

Should terminally ill Vermonters be allowed to end their lives?
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp...
Montpelier, Vermont - February 17, 2011

Speaker after speaker told stories about end of life struggles.

"The hardest thing I have ever done was to care for my father as he suffered as he died," said Aaron Loomis of Patient Choices Vermont. "Every one of those final days my father would look at us, my sister, my brother, please help me end the suffering, but we could not grant his final wishes. Indeed my father had no choice."

Backers of a bill introduced at the Statehouse believe it's time Vermont gave terminally ill patients the choice to end their lives with the help of a doctor.

"The bill offers personal choice. No one, no one is required to exercise the choice," said Dick Walters of Patient Choices Vermont.

"And that choice given to patients who have a prognosis of life expectancy of six months or less. In addition the patient must be mentally competent; able to make up his own mind and communicate his or her own wishes," said Dr. David Babbitt of Patient Choices Vermont.

But members of a group calling itself Patient Choices Vermont will face strong opposition from some churches, right-to-life groups and those in the disability community.

Even what to call the bill stirs emotions. Those who want the choice called it "Death with Dignity." The disabled take issue with that label.

"To those who live with a disability to some extent, the implication is to live with a disability is not a life of dignity and we do not agree with that," said Ed Paquin of Disability Rights of Vermont.

The bill is modeled after an Oregon law. Supporters point to that state's success, citing little or no abuse and the few people who actually take their own lives with the help of a doctor. Critics contend:

"Is that logic enough to change the role of a physician from healing and easing pain to one of hastening death?" Paquin asked.

This is not the first time Vermont has gone down this path. Three years ago a similar bill was defeated in the House. Both sides are gearing up for an emotional debate again. This time it has the backing of the state's new governor.

"I don't think it hurts our state to have the conversation about kind of treatment do you want if you are terminally ill, your doctor knows you are going to die, you are in a lot of pain," said Gov. Peter Shumlin, D-Vermont. "How do you want to spend your last four or five days?"

"Here you are bringing a medical professional into the question of suicide. I guess I don't see what choice the individual doesn't have now other than the choice of getting the assistance of a professional in the suicide," Paquin said.

The governor hopes this remains a Vermont debate and outside forces do not try to influence the legislation at the Statehouse. Regardless, he wants a bill to sign this session. The governor would not predict the outcome of the bill but said he believed the House was close to having enough votes to pass the bill.

Anson Tebbetts - WCAX News
jgadsden

Jericho, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2011

Judged:

Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
I like you idea-BUT
Actually one would think Vermont being so small-the solution would be easy. However, approximately 190,000 people are ,accoridng to stats, considered disabled. Then according to a report in the Rutland Hearld last summer 1 out of six families in Vermont are on some form of Social Service program. Therefore we have a large base of people requring help and a small base of working people (tax base) in Vermont.
regardless, i feel better about using the money to pay for tangibles like training doctors and opening facilities than to open another goverment office to spread around the ever growing costs...

now to mention, many disabled folks can mop...
and hospitals need lots of mopping...
Concerned

Bennington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2011

jgadsden wrote:
<quoted text>
regardless, i feel better about using the money to pay for tangibles like training doctors and opening facilities than to open another goverment office to spread around the ever growing costs...
now to mention, many disabled folks can mop...
and hospitals need lots of mopping...
I agree

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Montpelier Discussions

Search the Montpelier Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Animal cruelty charges at Santa's Land Mar 26 Flat Lander 3
Tipping Point Mar '14 Elmer_J_Fudd 1
IBM leadership notifies Shumlin of layoffs Mar '14 markey 5
Police: taxi driver assaults, robs passenger Mar '14 Greenstreet 2
Corrections Officer accused of sending nude pic... Mar '14 Greenstreet 2
Vermont News in Brief Mar '14 Greenstreet 2
Vt. lawmakers consider fee for shopping bags Mar '14 Richard 2
•••
•••