Vermont deer harvest drops by 23% in November

Preliminary figures show Vermont's buck harvest during the November firearms season declined by 23 percent. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
buckslayer

Bennington, VT

#1 Dec 6, 2010
Must be we need to kill more doe as the biologist been saying for the last 5 yrs, when the hunters have been saying no more doe killing for a while....
constant liars

Bennington, VT

#2 Dec 6, 2010
It's all due to bad weather conditions which kept hunters hanging in camp. Bad economy kept hunters from purchasing licenses and hunting supplies. There are more deer than necessary. Kill more doe and send in your money !!!
GMB

Graniteville, VT

#3 Dec 6, 2010
Well then un-post your land and we'll bring the numbers down, you anti hunters make me laugh, stop eating beef then
Bandit

Bennington, VT

#5 Dec 6, 2010
I guess it isn't hard to understand why the herd is down, just follow the money. Let's have a few more seasons and give out more doe tags. We need a year or two of no doe hunting. bow or gun, and that goes for youth day. In a few years there won't be any hunting. Maybe it is time to change the whole commission.
Elmer Fudd

New York, NY

#7 Dec 6, 2010
I got this, on the way.
kevin

Harrisburg, PA

#8 Dec 6, 2010
we need to have a few years like it was in the old days, make it a 16 day season where u can hunt with gun or bow, 1 deer per person, let the hurd build up b4 its gone,
night shot

Bennington, VT

#9 Dec 6, 2010
We pay all this money to hunt this state and it is p...poor hunting. TO get anything back out of it you have to hunt at night. Wardens are baiting and im hunting at night. Keep moving boys. Don't stay in one spot to long. Moving targets are hard to see!!
Hoopskip

Watervliet, NY

#10 Dec 6, 2010
@ Bandit,
It is time to change the whole commission. VT fish and game are more interested in selling permits than wildlife management. Like all state agencies they a motivated by money.
I put my time in the woods this year and came up empty handed. I do have a doe tag, but I can't justify using it. The herd numbers are not there. If I kill a mature doe this time of year itís the same as killing up to 3 deer. In my neck of the woods we need those fawns, last year was a slaughter and we are paying the price this year.
The "science" the state biologist keeps touting about is more like science fiction. You want the herd to recover, cut permits, don't increase them. You can't manage a deer herd that doesnít exist. Letís build up the herd before we start talking management!
The Future of Hunting

Auburndale, MA

#11 Dec 6, 2010
I'm sure the heat and high winds had something to do with it, but the big problem is the decline in hunter participation - less hunters = less deer taken. This National problem has been ongoing for years... how much did VT license sales drop this year? When we lose 12%, 14% every year it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell the sports in trouble. The State of Montana lost an incredible 21% last year (that's license sales)... imagine running a business that has to cut their budget by 10-20% every year - you won't be in business long! It's up to us as hunters to save this great American heritage and tradition... and it's as simple as taking a kid hunting! I urge everyone out there to introduce someone new to our wonderful sport whenever you get the chance... and before we're all out of chances. Kevin Hoyt
droop

Alstead, NH

#12 Dec 6, 2010
Bandit wrote:
I guess it isn't hard to understand why the herd is down, just follow the money. Let's have a few more seasons and give out more doe tags. We need a year or two of no doe hunting. bow or gun, and that goes for youth day. In a few years there won't be any hunting. Maybe it is time to change the whole commission.
i agree with you 100%!! stop the doe hunting !!! give it a few years of no hunting like you said. and make it buck only and it has to be a six pointer or better
buckslayer

Bennington, VT

#13 Dec 6, 2010
i think the biologist need to do real work when figuring the deer population.don't sit at the deer park eating burgers from tastee freeze and counting deer in inside the fence.
deer me

Montpelier, VT

#14 Dec 6, 2010
I am trying to take a kid hunting but where can I take him that isn't posted? I asked 16 people if they would allow me and my kid to hunt their posted property and all 16 denied us.

There are tons of great hunting areas but you can't get to them.

In my area there are literally hundreds of deer running around but it is all posted and there is no one hunting it. This area is posted by several landowners. It's a shame and I don't understand it.

I was told that the Agency is planning on adding a muzzleloader season beginning in September of 2011. Has anyone heard of this?

done time in vermont

Queensbury, NY

#15 Dec 6, 2010
scroo all that bothersome permit and hunting safety classes. I go hunting wherever, whenever, I also have 2 felonies so I cant even own a gun (haha). I get then deer anyway i can. I aint bought me a license in 20 yrs, I go into n.y. and vermont.
Research

Bennington, VT

#16 Dec 7, 2010
Take a kid hunting is a great idea and you better have a bit of success quick which is rare. No kid is gonna put up with not seeing any deer and still stay interested. 75% of the state is posted but a very small portion of it posted correctly. Disregard the poster signs and hunt it anway. It's all owned by the govoernment anyway when it comes down to it......
ricketts

Bennington, VT

#17 Dec 7, 2010
Research wrote:
Take a kid hunting is a great idea and you better have a bit of success quick which is rare. No kid is gonna put up with not seeing any deer and still stay interested. 75% of the state is posted but a very small portion of it posted correctly. Disregard the poster signs and hunt it anway. It's all owned by the govoernment anyway when it comes down to it......
That's the spirit. Take a kid hunting and show him/her it is okay to break the law and trespass on private property. I also like it when hunters with high-powered rifles take their kids into areas with houses in every direction just a few hundred yards away. That's the way to show the kids how to hunt responsibly. I am a hunter, but I post my land strictly for safety reasons because of this problem of hunters using poor judgment on where they hunt.
estanson

Bellows Falls, VT

#18 Dec 7, 2010
look at the posts here...
no more needs to be said why more and more people post their land...
hunting right next to residences...
at night...
no permit...
I saw one pack with out of state plates with beer cans literally falling out of the truck...
my land was posted the next day...
the good hunters need to start patrolling the bad ones!
DJG

Mount Holly, VT

#19 Dec 7, 2010
The hunting down in Windsor County this year was the worst in quite a while. Here's how we fix things:
1. End the muzzleloader doe tags for at least 3 years.
2. Limit the deer/person to 1/year.
3. If farmers or large land-owners post their land, no land-use tax credit.
4. Admit the real size of deer herd is only 1/4 of what they have been saying.
5. Shoot more turkeys, they eat a lot of deer feed.
6. Admit coyotes are a problem and offer incentive to harvest.
7. Pray for a mild winter.
EJF

Baltimore, MD

#20 Dec 7, 2010
Elmer Fudd wrote:
I got this, on the way.
What the EJF are you doing using my screen name, maggot?

As far as posted property goes, mine is posted, per the law and registered. NO ONE has ever requested to deer hunt that was denied permission.

SEVERAL people have been caught JACKING DEER FROM MY PROPERTY.

Read the previous post on why the 'real' hunters should be pzzzed off on the wanna be's.
EJF

Baltimore, MD

#21 Dec 7, 2010
estanson wrote:
look at the posts here...
no more needs to be said why more and more people post their land...
hunting right next to residences...
at night...
no permit...
I saw one pack with out of state plates with beer cans literally falling out of the truck...
my land was posted the next day...
the good hunters need to start patrolling the bad ones!
Eric,

Once again, I agree with you.

Frightening, isn't it?

EJF

“Sponsored by Miller Lite”

Since: Dec 09

Phuket, Thailand

#22 Dec 8, 2010
EJF wrote:
<quoted text>
What the EJF are you doing using my screen name, maggot?
As far as posted property goes, mine is posted, per the law and registered. NO ONE has ever requested to deer hunt that was denied permission.
SEVERAL people have been caught JACKING DEER FROM MY PROPERTY.
Read the previous post on why the 'real' hunters should be pzzzed off on the wanna be's.
I find it very hard to believe that the deer kill this year is so low.... Perhaps it's the weapon of choice or lack of skill of todays hunters.... I use a Dodge Durango and have bagged one the last 2 years at speeds below 55mph......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montpelier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vermont Yankee prepares to power down 17 hr Arnie 10
Mumia Selected as Commencement Speaker for College Oct '14 ANTIFA 7
Serial arsonist suspected in string of fires Sep '14 Tony 1
Police Investigating Series of Suspicious Fires... Aug '14 Community Disorga... 1
OMG....they allow you people to vote? Aug '14 New Englander 2
Ship illegal cockroaches to vermont Jul '14 Former New Englander 1
Bothersome bear damages cars in Island Pond Jul '14 zoom46 1
Montpelier Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Montpelier People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Montpelier News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Montpelier

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]