New DNA test possible in 1994 killing...

New DNA test possible in 1994 killings : The Morning Call Online

There are 97 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 21, 2007, titled New DNA test possible in 1994 killings : The Morning Call Online. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

A Lehigh County judge has left the door open for further DNA tests and a bid for a new trial for a woman convicted of kidnapping, beating and shooting the wife of her ex-boyfriend in a Heidelberg Township woods ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

“DIRTY BIRDY”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#23 Mar 21, 2007
----deep thought---- wrote:
<quoted text>
You are probably right! But I say let her do the DNA thing and anyone who had second thoughts about the first conviction can rest assured.
You know I would'nt want an innocent person sitting in jail for a crime they did'nt commit..But then I would'nt want a guilty person set free either...

Since: Feb 07

York Haven, PA

#24 Mar 21, 2007
----deep thought---- wrote:
I don't understand why they will not test the hair that was found in the victim's hand? I would think that is a vital piece of evidence. I wasn't present in the courtroom, and didn't follow the story when it occurred, so I cannot determine whether she is guilty or not just by Mcall's reporting alone. But, I do think that additional DNA testing would put this case to rest once and for all. If she is guilty, she would have to admit her guilt and the victims can finally rest in piece.
If I remember correctly, she had dyed her hair and they said it couldn't be tested for that reason.

“Undulation Mania!”

Since: Dec 06

Bethlehem, PA

#25 Mar 21, 2007
Claire wrote:
A while back, I heard from a mutual acquaintance that Andy married a woman named Teresa Benckini and moved to Colorado shortly after Rorrer was put away. Living in CO was a "dream" he and Joann had. I think he has since moved back to the area and is single again. Joann was a sweet, kind person. She did not deserve this terrible fate. Pat Rorrer killed her and needs to realize that nothing will exhonorate her. DNA was already done on her hair and the murder had her name written all over it. Stop wasting taxpayers money.
Why would you post this woman's full name?

“Undulation Mania!”

Since: Dec 06

Bethlehem, PA

#26 Mar 21, 2007
Hi Michelle!:)

“DIRTY BIRDY”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#27 Mar 21, 2007
Anna from LV wrote:
Hi Michelle!:)
Hi Anna where have you been??? Have'nt seen you for a while..

“The Princess on her throne”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

#28 Mar 21, 2007
MICHELLE D wrote:
<quoted text>You know I would'nt want an innocent person sitting in jail for a crime they did'nt commit..But then I would'nt want a guilty person set free either...
From what I understand today's DNA tests are very accurate, so if she is guilty the DNA would only prove that further. I don't think she could be set free because of it..

“The Princess on her throne”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

#29 Mar 21, 2007
Labyrinth wrote:
<quoted text>
If I remember correctly, she had dyed her hair and they said it couldn't be tested for that reason.
But wasn't it her hair that they tested? I think the article said that they tested hairs found in the victim's car and diaper bag. Wasn't all of her hair dyed?

“DIRTY BIRDY”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#30 Mar 21, 2007
----deep thought---- wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I understand today's DNA tests are very accurate, so if she is guilty the DNA would only prove that further. I don't think she could be set free because of it..
DNA is a good tool..Providing everything was properly stored..I could see the Attorneys claiming evidence was tamperd with or some other load of crap that could drag things for a while or maybe even get a guilty person aquitted on a technicality...

Since: Mar 07

Wonderland

#31 Mar 21, 2007
Okay, a little lesson in forensics: with all of the advances in DNA science, testing dna in a hair sample still cannot definitively point to one individual. They can only compare characteristics of hair samples. The results of the test of the hair previously done could not EXCLUDE Rorer, as her hair exhibited the same characteristics as the sample tested. The only exception to this is if part of the root is still attached to the hair, holding cells. However, if I remember correctly, they DID determine that it was a hair that had been dyed.

Since: Mar 07

Wonderland

#32 Mar 21, 2007
Oh, and by the way - she's guilty as sin. Of course she's going to fight to try to get more DNA testing, and probably pray that the whole thing gets mishandled, to get herself a new trial. People facing life/death in prison are DESPARATE. THat is what this is - a desparate, last ditch effort conjured up to try to get the hell out of prison. She is still a relatively young woman, so she's staring at a lot of time yet.

Since: Feb 07

York Haven, PA

#33 Mar 22, 2007
CheshireCat wrote:
Okay, a little lesson in forensics: with all of the advances in DNA science, testing dna in a hair sample still cannot definitively point to one individual. They can only compare characteristics of hair samples. The results of the test of the hair previously done could not EXCLUDE Rorer, as her hair exhibited the same characteristics as the sample tested. The only exception to this is if part of the root is still attached to the hair, holding cells. However, if I remember correctly, they DID determine that it was a hair that had been dyed.
Yes...that's how the dyed hair became a factor in this! Thanks for helping to jolt my memory.

As for the DNA testing, I think this was one of the first times that mitochondrial DNA was tested. This could be one of the reasons for wanting to do another DNA testing.
royalarrival

Hamburg, NJ

#34 Mar 22, 2007
Who ever did it had to know the terrian of the area where the bodies where dumped. I was in the military at the time. My husband (boyfriend at the time) was 4 wheeling in the area the day the bodies where found. Our high school friend lives on farm right up the road. They were driving in the area and didn't see anything. After lunch they noticed police in the area and thought they were in trouble for 4 wheeling. They were questioned to see if they saw anything. They were about 10 feet away from the bodies and didn't know it. If I recall correctly. This lady had connection with a horse barn near by. She trailed the area (horse back) and was familiar with the terrian.

“Undulation Mania!”

Since: Dec 06

Bethlehem, PA

#35 Mar 22, 2007
MICHELLE D wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Anna where have you been??? Have'nt seen you for a while..
It's been crazy busy at work, I just haven't had time to post. Hopefully I'll get some quality posting time in today :)
Claire

Allentown, PA

#36 Mar 22, 2007
Uh, this woman's name is not a big secret because it was published in the newspapers more than once. Aside from that, you can easily find almost anything via the Morning Call's archive search, and anyone with half a brain could find out who someone remarried simply by calling the court house. Or if you are crazy enough, you could just stalk the person until you know who they've been spending their time with.

“Undulation Mania!”

Since: Dec 06

Bethlehem, PA

#37 Mar 22, 2007
Claire wrote:
Uh, this woman's name is not a big secret because it was published in the newspapers more than once. Aside from that, you can easily find almost anything via the Morning Call's archive search, and anyone with half a brain could find out who someone remarried simply by calling the court house. Or if you are crazy enough, you could just stalk the person until you know who they've been spending their time with.
Well you are not the media, nor the courthouse. You really had no reason to post her entire name... just wrong to do.
Claire

Allentown, PA

#38 Mar 22, 2007
Didn't realize you were the Dutchess of Protocol!

And don't tell me what's "just wrong to do" - tell the Morning Call, for publishing it in the story in the first place.

“Undulation Mania!”

Since: Dec 06

Bethlehem, PA

#39 Mar 22, 2007
Claire wrote:
Didn't realize you were the Dutchess of Protocol!
And don't tell me what's "just wrong to do" - tell the Morning Call, for publishing it in the story in the first place.
Please bow the next time you address me...

Posting her full name was wrong... not your place to do it.

Since: Mar 07

Nazareth, PA

#40 Mar 22, 2007
does this open up every case using "old method" dna?

Since: Mar 07

Wonderland

#41 Mar 22, 2007
Anna from LV wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you are not the media, nor the courthouse. You really had no reason to post her entire name... just wrong to do.
Okay, I think your point has come across, so let it go already.

“Karma”

Since: Mar 07

Lehigh Valley

#42 Mar 22, 2007
Anna from LV wrote:
<quoted text>
Please bow the next time you address me...
Posting her full name was wrong... not your place to do it.
Claire obviously didn't realize who she was dealing with.

Of course she shouldn't have posted the wife's full name, but some people just don't think.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montoursville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
J.K. Rishel Furniture Company (Aug '07) Mar '18 CMarlene 55
corruption by pa state police at f troop in mon... (Feb '10) Mar '18 God 33
transgender (Nov '11) Feb '18 Monica 3
ECM Realty (Jan '15) Jan '18 AAP 3
News A golden discovery: Philadelphia Butter Cake : ... (Mar '07) Jan '18 weapon X 76
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Pennsylvan... (Oct '10) Aug '15 Archie Bunker 8
Mary Griggs of Mountoursville (Apr '15) Jul '15 Allan 2

Montoursville Jobs

Personal Finance

Montoursville Mortgages