The Walk to Emmaus
Awesome Weekend

Mentor, OH

#203 Apr 30, 2012
I attended the Emmaus Walk a few weeks ago and heartily agree with "Great Weekend." It was amazing! I only wish my husband attended the men's walk the weekend before, but I will continue to pray for that someday. Though I was initially worried about being out of contact with my family, I knew that they had the emergency phone number to get a hold of me should something important come up. As it turned out, my husband and son spent a wonderful buddy weekend together, which would never have happened if I had been home in my usual "Mom" role. So don't worry about cell phones and clocks; especially in our age of high technology and immediate communication, it's a welcome and much-needed break NOT to have those. You know what Psalm 46:10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." For those who encounter clickish, holier-than-thou attitudes from former pilgrims on the walk, I am so sorry that is your experience. None of us in my group (there were 7 on the walk from my church) have ever thought of ourselves as above anyone. We are simply on fire for the Lord and are all excited to serve Him at our local churches and in our every day interactions with others. If anything, I can't wait to tell everyone about the awesome experience and will quitely encourage others to attend so that they might feel the same closeness to our Heavenly Father as I had. If someone doesn't want to attend, that is his/her perogative, and I would never judge their decision. One last thing: I am SO HAPPY that nobody spoiled my weekend by letting me in on all that was planned. I am glad to have been able to experience it all first hand for myself, and it was beautiful!!! Nothing cultish about it! I have also been on a women's renewal at my sister's Catholic church in the last 16 months, and there were surprises on that retreat as well, though I am sure nobody would call that a cult. It too was a wonderful experience, though I am no longer a practicing Catholic (had to receive a blessing at Communion and just had a chat with the priest when everyone else went to confession). All that having been said, I see Christ's church as ecumenical; we are ALL belong to Him. Praise God and De Colores!!!!!
Never

Tishomingo, MS

#204 May 2, 2012
I am a very devout believer and am concerned that fellow Christians have been duped into the walk to Emmaus. It is not of God but of man. The Emmaus crowd all get together and spend time in holy huddles and don't use that time for the body of Christ. You can tell from the postings here that it is divisive!
Delta Cottrell

Crossville, TN

#205 May 2, 2012
I have not been on the Walk To Emmaus. But, I do hope to go in the future.Hopefully my husband will attend first and I plan for my daughter to go also. Growing closer to God , should be the hope and plan of all christians.For a woman to be away from her family for the week-end is not a crime.
Mark

Amarillo, TX

#206 May 3, 2012
"Never", it's easy to claim that WTE is "...not of God but of man." without giving any reason(s) why. Give facts or recant.
Never wrote:
I am a very devout believer and am concerned that fellow Christians have been duped into the walk to Emmaus. It is not of God but of man. The Emmaus crowd all get together and spend time in holy huddles and don't use that time for the body of Christ. You can tell from the postings here that it is divisive!
Never

Tishomingo, MS

#207 May 4, 2012
Because God does not want us to be separate and select but to be in the world reaching others. This so called retreat just creates division, envy and superiority. Those who go think they are super Christians. They miss church to go and then they keep on meeting. It is wrong. People should speak out against this secret society!
Danny O

United States

#208 May 5, 2012
Never wrote:
Because God does not want us to be separate and select but to be in the world reaching others. This so called retreat just creates division, envy and superiority. Those who go think they are super Christians. They miss church to go and then they keep on meeting. It is wrong. People should speak out against this secret society!
I too believe this to be "Cult" like. Secret club to make them feel Superior. If it was so GOOD you'd see a change in their life. Not being secret.
sunny

United States

#209 May 6, 2012
I went and it was just plain corny, I could not wait to leave.
Yvonne-Texas

Waco, TX

#210 May 6, 2012
Terrible experience. Left at the end of the first day.
Lisa

Waco, TX

#211 May 6, 2012
Very controlling, no time to shower, told when to eat, when to take breaks, who to eat with, will tell you what is coming up next, get very little sleep if at that,15-17 hour day so upset I started crying , throwing up then asked for someone to call so I could leave. Made to participate in everything. Number of presentation sessions ,church/chapel 2-3 times a day. Very isolated. Can seek spiritual growth through Bible study or Christan friends.
Lisa

Waco, TX

#212 May 6, 2012
Should have said will not tell you what is coming up next in my previous post. No watches, newspapers, clocks, phones.However, the staff members sent around at the back and text on their phones.
Lisa

Waco, TX

#213 May 6, 2012
I had heard how great it was through church members and you should go. Husband asked from time to time when are you going on the Walk to Emmaus.Hubby said I would be a transformed woman. If you go be prepared to be worn to the bone. As I said in previous post stayed one day and left. The experience made me very upset to the point of throwing up. Walk to Emmaus is promoted in my church and those who have been seem to express that they have something you do not.
sunny

United States

#214 May 7, 2012
I could not even go to work the next day! I was so worn out! I had to speak in front of about 100 people at the end and it made me very angry. Could not talk to anyone on the first night, no one was allowed to say anything to each other till the next morning when we arrived at the chapel, talk about awkward! 6 women trying to get ready in one bathroom with only 2 sinks, it was horrible, I would not send my enemy to that walk. People from different religions are there falling all over each other and all that crap, that is definitely not my cup of tea, I was embarrassed by all of it. Good thing I didn't have to pay for it.
Mark

Amarillo, TX

#215 May 7, 2012
Never - I'm assuming that your judgement is based on the behavior you've observed from some who have attended the WTE and have behaved in a way which conflicts with what the WTE teaches and for this I apologize. Anyone who attends a retreat or conference of any kind and becomes divisive, creates envy, or carries an air of superiority should be lovingly but firmly corrected by their church elders and by the local WTE leadership! Judging the WTE by the actions of a few members is like judging the ministry of Jesus by the wrong actions of one of His apostles (Judas, Peter - take your pick). The WTE has no 'secrets'. If you want to ask any question about WTE and get an honest answer I'll give you one.
Never wrote:
Because God does not want us to be separate and select but to be in the world reaching others. This so called retreat just creates division, envy and superiority. Those who go think they are super Christians. They miss church to go and then they keep on meeting. It is wrong. People should speak out against this secret society!
Mark

Amarillo, TX

#216 May 7, 2012
Danny O - cults don't let you go back to your own church when they're done with you. They tell you that your church is wrong and that they are the only true believers. That is not the WTE. If you feel like they are keeping secrets then maybe it's your opinion based on the actions of some WTE attendees. There are no secrets - ask us anything and we must give you an answer - that's a basic WTE policy. If anyone is keeping secrets then they are wrong, not WTE.

And...if church was so good you'd see a change in the life of every person who attends, but you don't. By your own logic you place every church under the same condemnation as WTE.

And finally...every church has 'secrets' and private meetings which not even every church member can attend or know about. Again, by your own logic, this is a cult.
Danny O wrote:
<quoted text>
I too believe this to be "Cult" like. Secret club to make them feel Superior. If it was so GOOD you'd see a change in their life. Not being secret.
Mark

Amarillo, TX

#217 May 7, 2012
Lisa,

I'm so sorry your experience made you feel controlled. From what I can gather by your reply the leadership and specifically the timekeeper did not do a good job of keeping the Walk moving properly. The WTE schedule allows for 45min-1hr each morning/evening for attendees to shower/bathe.

Since the walk includes many activities it can feel like you are being told what to do, but the walk leadership must provide time for multiple activities for a group of 50-75 people which means your regular routine will be disrupted. These activities include:
15 talks of 15-20 min in length,
3 meals per day,
five or more short breaks for snacking and using the bathroom,
time to discuss each talk with others and prepare a group response,
group response to each talk,
worship each day,
communion each day,
Cross service
Candlelight
Closing

You are right that the WTE is not the only means of spiritual growth and that personal study and contact with Christian friends are other ways to grow in Christ. BTW, both of these are recommended in one of the WTE talks and emphasized at multiple times during the Walk.
Lisa wrote:
Very controlling, no time to shower, told when to eat, when to take breaks, who to eat with, will tell you what is coming up next, get very little sleep if at that,15-17 hour day so upset I started crying , throwing up then asked for someone to call so I could leave. Made to participate in everything. Number of presentation sessions ,church/chapel 2-3 times a day. Very isolated. Can seek spiritual growth through Bible study or Christan friends.
speakntruth

Jacksonville, NC

#218 May 8, 2012
Mark,
Well said WTE is a wonderful life changing experience. It is heartbreaking when folks don't have a great experience.
Mark wrote:
Lisa,
I'm so sorry your experience made you feel controlled. From what I can gather by your reply the leadership and specifically the timekeeper did not do a good job of keeping the Walk moving properly. The WTE schedule allows for 45min-1hr each morning/evening for attendees to shower/bathe.
Since the walk includes many activities it can feel like you are being told what to do, but the walk leadership must provide time for multiple activities for a group of 50-75 people which means your regular routine will be disrupted. These activities include:
15 talks of 15-20 min in length,
3 meals per day,
five or more short breaks for snacking and using the bathroom,
time to discuss each talk with others and prepare a group response,
group response to each talk,
worship each day,
communion each day,
Cross service
Candlelight
Closing
You are right that the WTE is not the only means of spiritual growth and that personal study and contact with Christian friends are other ways to grow in Christ. BTW, both of these are recommended in one of the WTE talks and emphasized at multiple times during the Walk.
<quoted text>
okeydookie

Knox City, TX

#219 Jun 23, 2012
I am surprised at the negativity being portrayed by outsiders. Number one we are not a cult but rather an indept 3 days of intense praise and worship of the same sex! If you go with an open mind and open heart you will be blessed! Now some harp on the secretive nature of the walk there is a REASON for this. If I told you all that is going to happen on this walk you most likely will have "shut out" vision. The secretive nature is really a GOOD thing! Just imaging this being as close to heaven on earth. All your needs are met on this retreat-no watches, no cell phones, no outside interference, etc. All your needs are met for 3 days-food out of this world, being able to OPEN up about sins we keep hidden, feeling alone in not being able to seek forgiveness, reconciliation, etc. Comradalty with brothers of sisters depending on your sex. Training to return to your church and entering a mode of servantude, teaching, lay ministry, etc. At no time do we advocate leaving your church and forming a "walk to Emmaus" church-ever! I am sorry that many have a preconceived notion about this retreat that was one of the best times I ever had and spiritual renewalship. So before you bash something that is largely rumors open up your mind/heart and attend. Seek for yourself-an no it is not a bunch roman catholic mumbo jumbo. This by and large is a protestant movement. They teach on being commited to your marriage, mate, church, standing behind the pastor, etc. I have to admit I do get upset when people spread rumors and nay sayings just because the events are kept secret so as to have the element of surprise. What is wrong with that? A true cult would demand no contact to outsiders EVEN AFTER the retreat. Do we, have we? If so THEY were misguided this is not in the norm. I would urge any and all skeptics stop fanticising rumors, hopwash, garbage, etc and seek a spirit of Truth. So if you have NO TRUE facts kindly just hush. If you do have facts and they are real then share but do not talk one person or incident and say that is true for all. The reunion groups are wonderful-a time once a week or two for an hour of accountability and confession with fellow peers, or as in my area a once a month meeting at a local church with praise and worship where both spouses can pray, worship, fellowship, etc with other walk to Emmaus members. Yes, the meetings are secret, as what joy would you get if you know everything that is going to happen? I believe it is more that you are a control freak that cannot just cannot let go and let God for 3 days and nights! If you are I really wonder what your true spiritual walk with God is REALLY like.
Mary

Ontonagon, MI

#220 Jun 23, 2012
Whoa - "Outsiders?" That attitude is exactly what we are concerned about. Can you say judgmental? People are posting from their experiences. Their voices don't matter? If you are an example of people who come out of WTE...

okeydookie wrote:
I am surprised at the negativity being portrayed by outsiders. Number one we are not a cult but rather an indept 3 days of intense praise and worship of the same sex! If you go with an open mind and open heart you will be blessed! Now some harp on the secretive nature of the walk there is a REASON for this. If I told you all that is going to happen on this walk you most likely will have "shut out" vision. The secretive nature is really a GOOD thing! Just imaging this being as close to heaven on earth. All your needs are met on this retreat-no watches, no cell phones, no outside interference, etc. All your needs are met for 3 days-food out of this world, being able to OPEN up about sins we keep hidden, feeling alone in not being able to seek forgiveness, reconciliation, etc. Comradalty with brothers of sisters depending on your sex. Training to return to your church and entering a mode of servantude, teaching, lay ministry, etc. At no time do we advocate leaving your church and forming a "walk to Emmaus" church-ever! I am sorry that many have a preconceived notion about this retreat that was one of the best times I ever had and spiritual renewalship. So before you bash something that is largely rumors open up your mind/heart and attend. Seek for yourself-an no it is not a bunch roman catholic mumbo jumbo. This by and large is a protestant movement. They teach on being commited to your marriage, mate, church, standing behind the pastor, etc. I have to admit I do get upset when people spread rumors and nay sayings just because the events are kept secret so as to have the element of surprise. What is wrong with that? A true cult would demand no contact to outsiders EVEN AFTER the retreat. Do we, have we? If so THEY were misguided this is not in the norm. I would urge any and all skeptics stop fanticising rumors, hopwash, garbage, etc and seek a spirit of Truth. So if you have NO TRUE facts kindly just hush. If you do have facts and they are real then share but do not talk one person or incident and say that is true for all. The reunion groups are wonderful-a time once a week or two for an hour of accountability and confession with fellow peers, or as in my area a once a month meeting at a local church with praise and worship where both spouses can pray, worship, fellowship, etc with other walk to Emmaus members. Yes, the meetings are secret, as what joy would you get if you know everything that is going to happen? I believe it is more that you are a control freak that cannot just cannot let go and let God for 3 days and nights! If you are I really wonder what your true spiritual walk with God is REALLY like.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#221 Jun 24, 2012
What happened to the Mountain View Baptist Camp website? Its gone. Did they go under this year?
camper

Vilonia, AR

#222 Jun 25, 2012
No. Going strong and having a great summer. Love Mountain View.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monticello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 27 min Paul 165,485
Carolyn Pendleton 2 hr Facts 4
Looking for a male pitbull to breed to a female... 3 hr Mustard 4
john bently and his wife 3 hr Otis the town drunk 5
Devils and Backstabbers Disquised at Platinum B... 20 hr crustybird 9
Third Thursday bands 22 hr yeah 12
Pam allred Wed Yes yes 5

Monticello Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monticello Mortgages