this is what happens when you are liv...

this is what happens when you are living in a meth lab.

Posted in the Monticello Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
poor little children

London, KY

#1 Feb 20, 2009
Children living where meth or other drugs are used or made can suffer harmful health effects from the drugs, the chemicals used to make them, and being exposed to the lives and behaviors of those using drugs. Some of the concerns for children exposed to meth use and making include:
Effects of mother's drug use on the developing fetus
Exposure to meth after birth, through inhalation of smoke or in breast milk
Abuse, neglect and endangerment of children living with drug users
Exposure to chemical and biological contamination in homes where meth is made
Health effects to children living in former lab sites that have not been properly cleaned
Separation trauma to children who must be removed from their homes
Cases have been reported where children living in a house or other structure which formerly contained a meth lab encountered lingering health problems. Exposure to meth residues may cause symptoms similar to those experienced by meth users. Meth affects the central nervous system and will increase heart rate and blood pressure giving the user a euphoric feeling, but with deadly side effects. Meth residues may be fatal to young children.
Exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOCs) may cause symptoms such as nose and throat irritation, headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, confusion and breathing difficulties. Benzene, a potential meth chemical, is a VOC known to cause cancer.
Chemicals that are acids or bases will cause a burning sensation on the skin and in mucous membranes, and can cause severe eye damage. Exposure to hazardous metals and salts can cause a wide range of health effects including respiratory irritation, decreased mental function, anemia, kidney damage and birth defects. Download Children at Risk Brochure
Meth and the Environment
For every pound of meth produced, five to six pounds of highly toxic waste are produced as a by-product. There are more than 30 chemicals used to produce meth and most are explosive, caustic and carcinogenic. According to the California Attorney General�s Office, because meth labs are illegal and unregulated, proprietors rarely show concern over proper toxic waste disposal. The chemicals are often poured into streams, down drains or disposed of in fields, yards or gutters.
Fumes from methamphetamine labs and chemical waste produced during the cooking process is toxic and even deadly for the manufacturers as well as for anyone who is near the laboratories. Many of the chemicals used in the production of the drug are highly flammable and/or explosive. Moreover, cookers often dump their chemicals into the ground, sewers, or septic systems, contaminating the ground, water, and wells, and putting the general public at risk for exposure. The contamination present in a former meth lab can also affect air, furniture, and structure materials, such as flooring, vents, and walls.
Dirty home of meth lab.
Many of the contaminants present during the meth cooking process can be harmful if humans or pets are exposed to them. Meth labs can cause health problems including respiratory illness, skin and eye irritation, headaches, burns, nausea and dizziness. Short-term exposures to high concentrations of some of these chemicals are common to first responders, such as fire departments or law enforcement officers first entering a lab. These exposures may cause severe health problems including lung damage and chemical burns to the body.
Fires caused by these labs have killed innocent children and meth "cookers" alike throughout California. Touching these chemicals or just breathing their fumes can cause sickness, permanent injury and, even, death. One rash act by a meth cooker can also turn our fields and waterways into environmental waste dumps.
poor little children

London, KY

#2 Feb 20, 2009
Meth and the Environment
For every pound of meth produced, five to six pounds of highly toxic waste are produced as a by-product. There are more than 30 chemicals used to produce meth and most are explosive, caustic and carcinogenic. According to the California Attorney General�s Office, because meth labs are illegal and unregulated, proprietors rarely show concern over proper toxic waste disposal. The chemicals are often poured into streams, down drains or disposed of in fields, yards or gutters.
Fumes from methamphetamine labs and chemical waste produced during the cooking process is toxic and even deadly for the manufacturers as well as for anyone who is near the laboratories. Many of the chemicals used in the production of the drug are highly flammable and/or explosive. Moreover, cookers often dump their chemicals into the ground, sewers, or septic systems, contaminating the ground, water, and wells, and putting the general public at risk for exposure. The contamination present in a former meth lab can also affect air, furniture, and structure materials, such as flooring, vents, and walls.
Dirty home of meth lab.
Many of the contaminants present during the meth cooking process can be harmful if humans or pets are exposed to them. Meth labs can cause health problems including respiratory illness, skin and eye irritation, headaches, burns, nausea and dizziness. Short-term exposures to high concentrations of some of these chemicals are common to first responders, such as fire departments or law enforcement officers first entering a lab. These exposures may cause severe health problems including lung damage and chemical burns to the body.
Fires caused by these labs have killed innocent children and meth "cookers" alike throughout California. Touching these chemicals or just breathing their fumes can cause sickness, permanent injury and, even, death. One rash act by a meth cooker can also turn our fields and waterways into environmental waste dumps.
Cleaning up Former Meth Labs
Since meth labs are an emerging problem, there is currently no official federal guidance or regulations on how to clean up a former meth lab property for reoccupation. Responses from across the country to the cleanup of these properties have ranged from doing nothing to complete demolition. The safest way to clean up a former meth lab is to hire environmental companies trained in hazardous substance removal and cleanup. Owners that clean their own properties should be aware that household building materials and furniture can absorb contaminants and give off fumes. Use caution and wear clothing to protect your skin, such as gloves, long sleeves, and eye protection during cleaning. Smoking should not be permitted during the cleanup process.
References
http://www.safestate.org/index.cfm...
keep this bumped to the top please!!!!!!!!!!
Beth

Trenton, NJ

#4 Nov 18, 2010
Hi this is Beth, people who make and sell meth and crack are endangering their families and people who live close by. For example, I live upstairs in an apartment in one unit which includes myself and the downstairs apt. I have strong suspicions of this man downstairs which he isolates himself most of the time. I smell chemical odors through the air ducts are like glue, cat pee, old socks, strong unknown names of chemicals. He always plays his music loud which I believe to mask the sounds of popping and cracking which I've heard them already. Its hard to tell if he is really huffing or just the air vents are musty and dirty, im worried about my health since my throat gets irriated, nausea and dizziness. What is the first step I should do? The fire dept or the police? I have made 2 attempts with the apt manager but she won't listen what the maintaince man told me. I hope someone who is an expert or had experience can help out here, thanks so much. In Phoenix,AZ
Amanda

Battle Creek, MI

#5 Dec 28, 2010
Hi beth! I live in a house that's separated into 3 apts. My neighbors daughter and her boyfriend started coming around all of the time and I started to suspect something because I'm a recovering drug addict. I know the signs. My neighbors are a 60 yr old man and his 90 yrs old mom and since they started coming around, these people have been in and out of the hospital with breathing problems. I did the same thing as you, and told my landlords over and over. I tried telling people but I didn't do enough because last night there was a meth fire downstairs from me! The whole house filled with smoke and I was taking a shower with the door closed and it filled up with black smoke! Now, we have to wait to see if we have to move or not! So I guess what I'm telling you is, don't give up!!! Do everything in your power to find out!! Better same than sorry! I feel like I should've done more! Please call your local hazardous waste people and find out what to do!!! Don't wait like I did!!
Lisa

United States

#6 Feb 17, 2012
I am staying in a hotel with my pets. In the past 2 to 3 weeks, my husband said I'm irritably moody facial numbness has a rash eyes burning throat burns etc. Have sinuses infection. Took my pet to vet has infection and ear problems. Moody. Etc. The neighbor gets extremely noisy about 10 pm til 2 or 3 am. Has a cat. Drives a crappy old truck. Tonight as I'm lying here with sore throat and headaches, I've been smelling citrus scents etc. Is the guy cooking meth?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7 Feb 17, 2012
Move before you get blown away. Chemicals in the air is why children exposed to meth are immediately taken for detox and cleansing. Trust your instincts. Act on your suspicions. Call the police. They ain't cooking stew!
Thought

Hazard, KY

#8 Feb 23, 2012
I hate that it has even come to the place where they are trying to pass a bill that cause an OTC to be prescribed but here we are. My understanding is that people, that need this medication will get a script for it like you do HB meds. Keeping it the way it is or even making it to where someone with a meth related charge, would do no good. The cook of the drug is not the one going in to buy, they send in 10 or more people to buy this. So that's why this way we have now, does not work. I spoke with one of the very few we have in thus county that are able to clean these labs up, and their concern was the cost it raise to clean up each lab, it is very high and the city can not afford to pay for this any longer and our drug task force are running out of money to clean these up, they don't just clean our county they clean others also. So when the funds run out what then? Will we just have toxic wast laying around?. I here that this could cause any hardship on anyone, but I hate even more the hardship it is causing in this town, and to the young people here.
Nkind

Washington, DC

#9 Aug 28, 2012
Hello, I live in an apartment of 4 units. I lived here for 5 years. Lately, for the past 6 months I've noticed a odd smell. First, cigarettes now a weird smell. I cannot explain it. It smells like smoke but not as strong as cigarette smoke. Sometimes I will catch the two male neighbors smoking cigarettes out the window. The neighbor's are very strange. He had different men renting from him. I have heard him fighting with the men before. There were 4 men living there. 2 moved out and 2 stayed. Now there are 2. They are quiet/sneaky during the day and up all night long. They may leave out in the late afternoon but up all night long. I smell the weird odor, its like a resonating odor. I lay in bed and get a dull headache at times. I made complaints but I have a slum lord and management company. I complained of the cigarette smoke in the past but they do nothing about it but call the tenant. Then the tenant will smoke something not as strong as cigarette but its still a weird smoke smell that I cannot describe. I lived here and never smelled them cooking food. This odd smell, smells like a old sickening smell, like musty I cannot explain it, maybe chemical i don't know. And at times, I smell a faint smoke smell but not full blown cigarette smoke. My daughter and I have had headaches, coughing and we stay tired. Is staying tired all the time a symptom of a "drug" coming through the vent? How can our blood be tested for any chemicals in our apartment. Without hard proof it's hard to address this issue with anyone they need proof. I wish a drug dog can smell around the building but if it's not drugs then we would look like idiots reporting nothing. I guess my question's are we take a blood test and can we get a sample of air from our apartment for any chemical? If so, what chemicals should we ask the doctor to test for? HELP!
Liz

Logan, UT

#11 Nov 21, 2012
Nkind wrote:
Hello, I live in an apartment of 4 units. I lived here for 5 years. Lately, for the past 6 months I've noticed a odd smell. First, cigarettes now a weird smell. I cannot explain it. It smells like smoke but not as strong as cigarette smoke. Sometimes I will catch the two male neighbors smoking cigarettes out the window. The neighbor's are very strange. He had different men renting from him. I have heard him fighting with the men before. There were 4 men living there. 2 moved out and 2 stayed. Now there are 2. They are quiet/sneaky during the day and up all night long. They may leave out in the late afternoon but up all night long. I smell the weird odor, its like a resonating odor. I lay in bed and get a dull headache at times. I made complaints but I have a slum lord and management company. I complained of the cigarette smoke in the past but they do nothing about it but call the tenant. Then the tenant will smoke something not as strong as cigarette but its still a weird smoke smell that I cannot describe. I lived here and never smelled them cooking food. This odd smell, smells like a old sickening smell, like musty I cannot explain it, maybe chemical i don't know. And at times, I smell a faint smoke smell but not full blown cigarette smoke. My daughter and I have had headaches, coughing and we stay tired. Is staying tired all the time a symptom of a "drug" coming through the vent? How can our blood be tested for any chemicals in our apartment. Without hard proof it's hard to address this issue with anyone they need proof. I wish a drug dog can smell around the building but if it's not drugs then we would look like idiots reporting nothing. I guess my question's are we take a blood test and can we get a sample of air from our apartment for any chemical? If so, what chemicals should we ask the doctor to test for? HELP!
I am in a four unit also and going through the same thing, there is a burning smell that even comes through our heating vents when the heat runs because my furnace is in the same place as the neighbors. I just want to let you know you aren't alone! Call the police if your landlord won't do anything, call the health dept., call the city that you are in and I promise you they will do something. Get your neighbors involved, or, like everyone is telling me...move. Moving is so complicated though and these people who are endangering our children should be the one's to go. I know you posted this months ago, but I hope you got something figured out. I am just in the process. It's horrible.
a friend

Paw Paw, MI

#12 Mar 11, 2013
I wound call your local police department and they will come and look in to it. Tell them what he is doing and what you have heard.
Don't worry about calling the fire department they will come with the police. Cqll them from outside and get everyone in your apartment out of there. Also tell them of your symtoms. The
paramedics will check you and anyone else out, and then go from there.

I hope I help and I hope everything works out for you and you are not really sick because of it, if he is making meth.

God bless,
A friend
a friend

Paw Paw, MI

#13 Mar 11, 2013
Beth wrote:
Hi this is Beth, people who make and sell meth and crack are endangering their families and people who live close by. For example, I live upstairs in an apartment in one unit which includes myself and the downstairs apt. I have strong suspicions of this man downstairs which he isolates himself most of the time. I smell chemical odors through the air ducts are like glue, cat pee, old socks, strong unknown names of chemicals. He always plays his music loud which I believe to mask the sounds of popping and cracking which I've heard them already. Its hard to tell if he is really huffing or just the air vents are musty and dirty, im worried about my health since my throat gets irriated, nausea and dizziness. What is the first step I should do? The fire dept or the police? I have made 2 attempts with the apt manager but she won't listen what the maintaince man told me. I hope someone who is an expert or had experience can help out here, thanks so much. In Phoenix,AZ
I will get u and everyone else out of the apartment and then call the police and then stay outside, everyone will come with then and u will be checked out tell them what you hear , smell and what your symtoms was and then the cops and fire dartment will take care of the rest.
Paw Paw Michigan

Paw Paw, MI

#14 Mar 12, 2013
Contact the land lord. No resolve?
Contact the Local Police. No resolve?
Contact the County Sheriff. No resolve?
Contact the State Police. No resolve?
Contact the Local health dept. No resolve?
Contact the County health dept. No resolve?
Contact the State health dept. No resolve?
Contact D.H.S.(dept. of human services) No resolve?
Contact the D.E.A. No resolve?
Contact the A.T.F. No resolve?
Contact the F.B.I. No resolve?
Contact the E.P.A. No resolve?

Report the land lord to the B.B.B.
Report law enforement to Internal Affairs office.
Get a medical examination. Get a copy of the medical report, and contract an lawyer and sue the law departments for legal malpractise. Other dept. can be sued under other charges as well.
coopdup

Anonymous Proxy

#15 Mar 13, 2013
in this county. u get caught making meth u will serve a few days at the wayne co hotel with 3 hots a cot cable tv. u get a slap on the hand rat a few out and go about ur way. is this fair?
Questions

Clarkton, MO

#16 Jul 18, 2013
I suspect that my husband has been cooking meth. I have broken out in a rash and been itching terribly. Could this be from the chemicals on him getting in our bed? It has gotten to the point of itching that I began to think it was bed bugs or something. Then a friend suggested that it might be coming off of his body and I am contacting it through sharing a bed. What do you think?
lordy

United States

#17 Jul 18, 2013
My home was recently rented to some shady individuals. I have good suspicion they r cooking meth! But we have no proof.. to make a long story short,they will be moving soon. To the occupants of our home be advised just because we live in Arkansas doesn't mean you are not being watched around the clock... your lease is up soon so find you somewhere else to live!!!!! To much stress and worry because of shady individuals!!!!
Questions

Clarkton, MO

#19 Jul 20, 2013
Is that why people who are cooking change clothes alot?
I would appreciate someone who knows would tell me so I can figure out what is going on. I am really ignorant to this and need information from someone who knows the real truth.
who knows

United States

#20 Jul 20, 2013
Questions wrote:
Is that why people who are cooking change clothes alot?
I would appreciate someone who knows would tell me so I can figure out what is going on. I am really ignorant to this and need information from someone who knows the real truth.
go ask a police officer. Only thing we know is most of time there is fire.
M-Smith

Duluth, GA

#21 Jan 8, 2014
I agreed to help paint a house that a Meth user lived in last year. I'm sitting here tonight and my throat, nose and lips are burning. I'm wondering if this is because of the Meth that was used and made in the house??
Stay Away

Lexington, KY

#22 Apr 14, 2014
M-Smith wrote:
I agreed to help paint a house that a Meth user lived in last year. I'm sitting here tonight and my throat, nose and lips are burning. I'm wondering if this is because of the Meth that was used and made in the house??
Please listen to what I am telling you!! This is a serious situation. You should probably go get yourself checked immediately, because the affects of high meth levels can be very harmful to your health. You should also report the home, because it is not fair for someone to rent some poor family this home, and then they suffer the consequences. Homes that have been previous meth labs in our area, get torn down and bulldozed over. They usually board the house up for a year or longer, and then they tear it down and do all the clean-up. I cant believe someone knows that their was a meth lab, and their trying to have you paint over it. There is a large story online about a mother and her children, who are now very ill from living in a home that was a previous meth lab. These kids had to be taken out school, the mother had to quit working, and they all have to live a super allergenic lifestyle now. They can't use regular detergents, cleaners, or anything. Their story is online. You should report this home to the nearest hazmat company or fire rescue department. At least warn the landlord, that he could be making a very harmful mistake for a future family. No one wants to hurt children just so they can rent a home. Make sure and get yourself checked out. Go to the hospital and tell them that you painted a former meth home and they will know what to test you for. Good Luck and I hope this helps!!!~!!!!!!
notme

United States

#26 May 18, 2014
Y would the white in eyes turn yellow and skin turn yellow after one quits cooking after they been doin it for year or so?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monticello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 20 min Mickey402 142,329
cedar grove Mon redrock 1
Food Stamps Mon jackson 14
Needing place to rent Jul 25 rental 3
Is Bipolar a license to cheat, lie and be mean ... (Oct '09) Jul 25 Florence12 280
Drug Test Jul 23 Truth teller 10
who's hiring NEED JOB Jul 22 dreams can be ful... 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monticello Mortgages