Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Feb 11, 2013
Cows for Sale

Monticello, KY

#1 Feb 7, 2013
The state denied Monticello schools their chance to submit a plan to keep the school open at the hearing. Its done. Give up. Over.
anothertaxpayer

Somerset, KY

#2 Feb 7, 2013
Good. Now lets get to the process of getting this merger done.
the Guardian

London, KY

#3 Feb 7, 2013
Yes...and let's not forget a thorough investigation on what brought that school district to this point so that others can learn from it all over the state. But, still feel for the students, parents, staff, and taxpayers that seemed to have been blind-sided by those intrusted to look after the best interest of that historical school.
sad

London, KY

#4 Feb 8, 2013
This is just so sad. I went to that school 42 years ago, this school needs to be open, operating and stay on the map.
really

Hodgenville, KY

#5 Feb 8, 2013
sad wrote:
This is just so sad. I went to that school 42 years ago, this school needs to be open, operating and stay on the map.
Why? Because of nostalgia by former students?
Sorry but this school district needs to close. Operating costs are astronomical for a district of this size. I feel for the staff because it is hard finding teaching positions right now. But that does not negate the fact that the district made poor choices and in turn is having to pay for them.
Taxpayer

London, KY

#6 Feb 8, 2013
Sounds like the board keep this quiet,trying to cover up their wasteful spending, until it was to late to save the school.
So in my opinion this entire mess falls back on the board members,This mess did'nt happen over night. If anyone ever needed to be kicked out of school its the board members that spent all the money or sit back and allowed it to take place!They have suspended students for alot less..These are grown adults.
the Guardian

London, KY

#7 Feb 8, 2013
Hope the Attorney General is just as relentless to prosecute towards any of the Monticello School officials that illegally spent public and taxpayer dollars as he is towards county clerks and other public officials. They shouldn't get away with this by pleading ignorance, just made some bad decisions, or that they didn't known they were out of money. Duh? I don't think that helped your county clerk any.
sad

Lexington, KY

#8 Feb 8, 2013
if they really were serious about submitting a "real" plan the current board should have been willing to resign in masse so that confidence could be restored. do you think the state board would be dumb enough to agree to let the board that in the middle of them mess keep running it? laughable
the Guardian

London, KY

#9 Feb 9, 2013
Once the State Board takes control this month, the Monticello Board will have no power at all so they should indeed all resign and hope they can avoid the grand jury and the Attorney General; the state will handle everthing and decide what will happen at the end of June. Things like this doesn't happen only in your town but also in other schools accross the state.
whoa 1

Manchester, KY

#10 Feb 10, 2013
the Guardian wrote:
Hope the Attorney General is just as relentless to prosecute towards any of the Monticello School officials that illegally spent public and taxpayer dollars as he is towards county clerks and other public officials. They shouldn't get away with this by pleading ignorance, just made some bad decisions, or that they didn't known they were out of money. Duh? I don't think that helped your county clerk any.
I believe that is a totally different issue. I have no dog in the hunt but the board could be innocent on this if information was withheld from them! And that can happen to any board. they are given information by the institution and that normally is all they have to go on when making a decision.
Oh Please

Monticello, KY

#11 Feb 10, 2013
whoa 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that is a totally different issue. I have no dog in the hunt but the board could be innocent on this if information was withheld from them! And that can happen to any board. they are given information by the institution and that normally is all they have to go on when making a decision.
And the earth is flat right? That just sounds stupid.
Cows for Sale

London, KY

#12 Feb 10, 2013
Who withheld the information from the board? Lets hear some names if you have a theory, then lets not just throw that out there. Put some legs under it.
whoa 1

Manchester, KY

#13 Feb 10, 2013
Oh Please wrote:
<quoted text>And the earth is flat right? That just sounds stupid.
stupid is as stupid does! does that include you? Seriously, if you have ever had dealings with a board you would know that I am correct. information conveyed by those at the institution (or outside contractors etc) provides finance #'s (numbers)and all the other information that the board considers for business transactions. By the way, is the earth flat? have a good evening
whoa 1

Manchester, KY

#14 Feb 10, 2013
Cows for Sale wrote:
Who withheld the information from the board? Lets hear some names if you have a theory, then lets not just throw that out there. Put some legs under it.
sorry but I did not mean to imply that information was held from the board, etc. It was however simply an opinion that could or perhaps did. I don't know and as stated before if there was wrong doing on purpose it needs to be made right.
Geezer

Evansville, IN

#15 Feb 11, 2013
The fact is this board is obviously guilty of the same sin Congress and the State Legislature have been guilty of : spending money they don't have. Just because you WANT something and even if you can show some fraction of the school NEEDS something doesn't always mean you can spend the money to provide it. The school clearly needed every spare dime spent on rebuilding its academic programs, which have become very poor the last few decades (most people here have no idea how far we've fallen behind other schools because Wayne, Clinton, Pulaski, McCreary and Russell Counties aren't much better). So to divert $500,000 to buy property and build a sports field was just folly. Now, we also didn't have the money to spend on academics, but the difference was they could have applied for grants from various foundations for those academic uses and not spent themselves into bankruptcy. This is a classic example of terrible, terrible mismanagement.
Reality

Duluth, GA

#16 Feb 11, 2013
The people responsible will get out of it. People like that always do. Just look at the countless number of our public officials that have been caught red handed doing things that would send a normal citizen to jail. The only time a local official is punished is when it is a political thing. Either they broke away from the good old boy system, or they get other officials upset. I highly doubt any charges will be pressed and upheld against any of these men.
the Guardian

London, KY

#17 Feb 11, 2013
I think you're wrong. If the KSP investigation reveals any unauthorized or unapproved obligations and spending of public money, then it goes to a grand jury for indictments of those responsible whether it be superintendents, board members, or other school officials. And if others are involved, then maybe even conspiracy to defraud the system of public money.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monticello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bocephus (Mar '10) 6 min Peter Cheeks 7
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min SICK OF MITCH 1,291
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 28 min The_Box 130,471
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Nutz 151,117
grand jury (Nov '11) 3 hr jsa 18
Single women at beldens? 4 hr former employee 2
Any gay/bi guys around wayne county? (Aug '10) 8 hr hillbillibare 4
Kindergartener Leaves School 11 hr truth 29
•••
Monticello Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monticello Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monticello People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monticello News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monticello
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••