Michelle Obama and our flag

Michelle Obama and our flag

Posted in the Monticello Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
whoa 1

Manchester, KY

#1 Nov 11, 2012
did she or did she not?

The internet was buzzing this week with video of First Lady Michelle Obama apparently showing extreme disrespect to the American flag at a ceremony in honor of the victims of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks. As police and firefighters fold the flag to the sound of marching bagpipers, a skeptical looking Mrs. Obama leans to her husband and appears to say,“all this just for a flag.” She then purses her lips and shakes her head slightly as Mr. Obama nods.
Just for a flag? If that is what she said it is regrettable. Even with all her years being around those who hold high public office Mrs. Obama does not seem to understand the purpose and importance of ceremonies. They reaffirm the bonds of loyalty and fellowship that cement our national unity. Yes, at one level a flag is just a colorful piece of cloth. But it symbolizes much more. It is the emblem of our land and all its ideals. It has been present at every major event of any importance to the country, battles, celebrations, meetings, and the lunar landings. It is a symbol of unity that transcends party, faction and time. It is something uniquely and explicitly American. Men and women have fought and died for it. Our enemies hate us for it and burn it in the streets. All that should mean something.
Perhaps Mrs. Obama thinks that all the pomp and circumstance she experiences in her daily life has something to do with her, rather than the unofficial office she holds. If so she should disabuse herself of that notion quickly. The official gestures of respect shown to her are the same shown to any First Lady, and if she wasn’t married to the president she would be just another citizen. Ruffles and flourishes are not hers by right, but by coincidence of marriage. Yet this is the same woman who said she had never in her adult life been really proud of America before her husband ran for president, so it is no wonder she might dismiss a flag ceremony as just so much nonsense.
All this just for a flag? Has anyone said,“All this just for Michelle Obama?”

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#2 Nov 11, 2012
...
Why?
You demonstrated some glimmer of intelligence and non-extremism just the other day, and now this stupidity. Congratulations, you've disappointed me.
Ummmmmmm

London, KY

#3 Nov 11, 2012
I thought you were bright, but just another dim light . I am brilliant. I researched it to be sure.
whoa 1

Manchester, KY

#5 Nov 11, 2012
_Ummm_ wrote:
...
Why?
You demonstrated some glimmer of intelligence and non-extremism just the other day, and now this stupidity. Congratulations, you've disappointed me.
Ummm..do you recall when her husband was first elected she made the statment that for the first time she was proud to be an American. I did not say that she said those words only that some thought this was what she was muttering. Personally, I do not care a lot about her. I think she is a fake. Just my opinion.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#6 Nov 11, 2012
whoa 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm..do you recall when her husband was first elected she made the statment that for the first time she was proud to be an American. I did not say that she said those words only that some thought this was what she was muttering. Personally, I do not care a lot about her. I think she is a fake. Just my opinion.
It's fine to think that some politician's wife is disingenuous. It's not fine to repeat an obviously fake email that was written and disseminated only to incite hatred.
If you want to state an opinion based on some fact you've observed, state it. Don't do what you did and lend credibility to complete garbage.
whoa 1

Manchester, KY

#8 Nov 11, 2012
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's fine to think that some politician's wife is disingenuous. It's not fine to repeat an obviously fake email that was written and disseminated only to incite hatred.
If you want to state an opinion based on some fact you've observed, state it. Don't do what you did and lend credibility to complete garbage.
I did not lend credibility to that..I simply put it out for conversation. it is credible information and fact her statement about feeling like an American now that her husband was elected. she could have went without saying that as Americans did not deserve that statement. From that point on she did not have my respect.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#9 Nov 11, 2012
whoa 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not lend credibility to that..I simply put it out for conversation.
You're wrong. By implying that it was even remotely worth conversation, you give it infinitely more credibility than it deserves. So while it may not have been intentional, it was wrong. Don't talk about BS political chain emails, because that is what the scumbag who wrote it wants you to do.
tim burks

Somerset, KY

#10 Nov 11, 2012
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. By implying that it was even remotely worth conversation, you give it infinitely more credibility than it deserves. So while it may not have been intentional, it was wrong. Don't talk about BS political chain emails, because that is what the scumbag who wrote it wants you to do.
weres your romney lover at hahahahaha
casper

League City, TX

#11 Nov 12, 2012
i liked the way they dressed their children like little piccaninnies during the first elections. and shed sneek out and shop at target. i guess she had to since she paid over five million dollers in personal taxes that year. i wonder if the purchase of barrack hosains senate seat was tax deductable.
JopJo

Vilonia, AR

#12 Nov 12, 2012
Casper your remark is VERY ignorant and uncalled for. Evidently you like to pick on children. And if the Obamas paid $5 million in taxes, what do you think the Romneys paid.... oh wait, I guess they paid less, as the rich do pay less and have all the tax right offs.... You must be one of the rich ones too...

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#13 Nov 12, 2012
tim burks wrote:
<quoted text>weres your romney lover at hahahahaha
What?
Raul Duke

London, KY

#14 Nov 12, 2012
whoa 1 wrote:
did she or did she not?
The internet was buzzing this week with video of First Lady Michelle Obama apparently showing extreme disrespect to the American flag at a ceremony in honor of the victims of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks. As police and firefighters fold the flag to the sound of marching bagpipers, a skeptical looking Mrs. Obama leans to her husband and appears to say,“all this just for a flag.” She then purses her lips and shakes her head slightly as Mr. Obama nods.
Just for a flag? If that is what she said it is regrettable. Even with all her years being around those who hold high public office Mrs. Obama does not seem to understand the purpose and importance of ceremonies. They reaffirm the bonds of loyalty and fellowship that cement our national unity. Yes, at one level a flag is just a colorful piece of cloth. But it symbolizes much more. It is the emblem of our land and all its ideals. It has been present at every major event of any importance to the country, battles, celebrations, meetings, and the lunar landings. It is a symbol of unity that transcends party, faction and time. It is something uniquely and explicitly American. Men and women have fought and died for it. Our enemies hate us for it and burn it in the streets. All that should mean something.
Perhaps Mrs. Obama thinks that all the pomp and circumstance she experiences in her daily life has something to do with her, rather than the unofficial office she holds. If so she should disabuse herself of that notion quickly. The official gestures of respect shown to her are the same shown to any First Lady, and if she wasn’t married to the president she would be just another citizen. Ruffles and flourishes are not hers by right, but by coincidence of marriage. Yet this is the same woman who said she had never in her adult life been really proud of America before her husband ran for president, so it is no wonder she might dismiss a flag ceremony as just so much nonsense.
All this just for a flag? Has anyone said,“All this just for Michelle Obama?”
I'm going to assume the person that wrote this did so while taking a dump on the American flag. Obviously there's no evidence to say they didn't, so my presumption must be true using the logic of this post.
whoa 1

Lexington, KY

#15 Nov 13, 2012
Raul Duke wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to assume the person that wrote this did so while taking a dump on the American flag. Obviously there's no evidence to say they didn't, so my presumption must be true using the logic of this post.
you obviously don't know me and you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You seem to speak very easy of dumping on the flag so I would ask that you please do not disgrace the American flag by speaking of it that way. I served this country and flag for 6 yrs so unless you know what you speak about please cease your jabbering.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#16 Nov 13, 2012
whoa 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
you obviously don't know me and you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
DING DING DING
You're starting to see their point, though you are failing to understand the hyperbole and how it applies to your post.

“Expect the unexpected”

Since: Dec 09

Or maybe not

#20 Nov 14, 2012
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. By implying that it was even remotely worth conversation, you give it infinitely more credibility than it deserves. So while it may not have been intentional, it was wrong. Don't talk about BS political chain emails, because that is what the scumbag who wrote it wants you to do.
I don't know anything about chain emails, but I ran across it on youtube.
I am also not a lip reader but once the thought was put in my head, then I could agree that it IS what she said.
That being said, I don't know if it is truth or not, but I have seen many reports of her asinine behavior. And I'm still wondering what cause, as first lady, she has take up. Disabled children? Cancer research? Fried chicken? I just don't know of anything for sure.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#21 Nov 14, 2012
Pibbstraa wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know anything about chain emails, but I ran across it on youtube.
I am also not a lip reader but once the thought was put in my head, then I could agree that it IS what she said.
That being said, I don't know if it is truth or not, but I have seen many reports of her asinine behavior. And I'm still wondering what cause, as first lady, she has take up. Disabled children? Cancer research? Fried chicken? I just don't know of anything for sure.
Lip reading... NOT an exact science, and very easy to fool people if you understand the way different vocalizations look. If somebody leads you to believe a person is saying something that is even somewhat similar in mouth motion, when you see them speak you will be very inclined to believe that is what they are actually saying.

dimwit

United States

#22 Nov 14, 2012
Pibbstra does it mean you are a dimwit if you don't know when you are being called a dimwit by the smartest old gal in the world.
Raul Duke

London, KY

#23 Nov 14, 2012
whoa 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
you obviously don't know me and you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You seem to speak very easy of dumping on the flag so I would ask that you please do not disgrace the American flag by speaking of it that way. I served this country and flag for 6 yrs so unless you know what you speak about please cease your jabbering.
As Ummm said, hyperbole/sarcasm. The point I was making is that my statement is no more true than the one you posted. I can sit at the tv, put it on mute, and just make up what I think is being said. Which is pretty much exactly what the author did based on what was written in the post. Notice it was never said that she actually said that, just what the author presumed she said.

Here's a good example...
http://youtu.be/UwA9PZEWvr8
Raul Duke

London, KY

#24 Nov 14, 2012
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QlwilbVYvUgXX
haha I didn't see this before I posted something similar.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#26 Nov 14, 2012
NO WAY wrote:
<quoted text>anyone that voted for OBAMA can not be a true CHRISTIAN. Look what he and his wife stand for. abortion, gays, gay marriage. ULK
THATS RIGHT OBAMER BE MAKIN EREBODY GAY AND GIVEN ABORTIONS.

Ayn Rand, you ingrate. Go look her up. She could easily be called the anti-Christ, yet she is exactly what you would bow to if you pulled the R/R switch last week. I've already explained this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monticello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 21 min CCR 165,540
Monticello motel 2 hr Spiv a Little 14
66 indictments 13 hr My 2 cents 20
Piggy Denney 14 hr home run 5
Does anyone know Eula Catron 14 hr Dude 4
Johney Foster 15 hr Spiv a Little 4
needing a stove and refrigerator for free or cheap (Jul '14) 18 hr Latavia 34

Monticello Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monticello Mortgages