Football season is near so get ready 0-10
mimi

Charleston, WV

#2 Jul 7, 2011
if only they had a coach, then maybe there would be hope for the greyhounds
PR Marketing

Charleston, WV

#3 Jul 7, 2011
The community is proud of the Valley football team and stands behind the athletes and their coaches 100 percent.

However, Tech no longer plans to welcome the team on Martin Field.

Oops! Just count that Tech move as just another climb in the continual decrease of student enrollment for the Montgomery campus.
valley grad

Charleston, WV

#4 Jul 8, 2011
As long as I can remember, Montgomery High School and Valley High School has always been more than welcome at Martin Field.

It is not surprising that Scott Hurst, interim Provost, would break a long standing agreement with Fayette County schools, and once again smack the community in the face.

The good news, in todays Charleston Gazette, it is reported that WVU will begin a national search this fall for a new campus provost. Scott will be in place no more than one more year.

I encourage everyone to write letters to the editors, post comments, Tweet, take a up petitions, do whatever is necessary to continue the support of our high school athletes by allowing the use of Martin field to continue. After all, it is state property and our taxes pay for it.

Go Greyhounds!!!!
question

Charleston, WV

#5 Jul 8, 2011
Wonder how prior Tech administrators were successful--financially (making a profit at that)and morally--in accommodating Valley High School's use of the field, and the present administration can't even cope with the sheer aspect of public relations with the community.

Ah, well. Just another problem on the Tech campus that continues rapidly spreading to the community and the students within.

One would question how Tech uses the East Bank baseball field (in Kanawha County) without being charged fees. One would, also, question how Tech uses Riverside High School's softball field (also in Kanawha County) at a very minimal fee.

Shame, shame on Tech!! Just another deterrent to student enrollment.

Where's WVU??
makes no sense

Charleston, WV

#6 Jul 10, 2011
Why would Tech/WVU not want to support Valley High School? When Tech could use every graduating senior from Valley and even future graduating classes in terms of recruiting. The institution is in dire straights because of declining enrollment.

Rather that shunning high school support, Tech should be fostering relationships, especially relationships that have been around for many, many years.

Another public relations nightmare for Scott Hurst. But he doesn't care. He is on his way out as provost.

Please everyone. Contact WVU and Tech and let's correct this situation.
yeh

Charleston, WV

#7 Jul 11, 2011
Best of luck in correcting this situation. Tech can't even solve its own problems much less our having any success with solving them.

The athletic department is one fine example of the lack of even adequate leadership on that campus. Meanwhile, their enrollment continues to suffer.

Sad to say, but you can't help those who won't help themselves.
what a mess

Charleston, WV

#8 Jul 12, 2011
I have received first hand information that Tech was requesting $16,000 for this years upcoming football season at Martin Field. They have now dropped that figure to $10,000. Knowing that Valley/Montgomery High paid zero in years past, it seems that inflation is a little out of control!!!

Tech has the nerve to use East Bank Middle and Riverside properties at little to no cost, but wants to bleed Valley of money they do not have.

This will be out soon in the media and the pressure will be applied. Let's see if Tech wants to play with political and community pressure. They've tried before and lost.

May the best man win.
insider

Charleston, WV

#9 Jul 12, 2011
Valley will be playing at Martin feild. Tech is raising prices for them to play. Also remember tech is raising money for new turf and etc.

That team will be on that feild on Friday nights!
Carlton

Charleston, WV

#10 Jul 12, 2011
Insider, you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

Valley will NOT be playing on that field unless Tech agrees to remove the stupid stipulation and continues honoring the tradition of Valley/Montgomery High's use of the field for over a century.

So, you say Tech is raising money. Well, it's not a bright idea to raise money through their neighboring high school, through the Fayette County Board of Education, and through the many propective students on the Valley campus and the many students spread thoughout Fayette County.

Ask yourself why Tech can't raise money through their alumni, through local supporters, and through the other venues that have supported Tech for over a hundred years.

The answer: Because Tech has treated those groups in the same manner that they are presently treating the Valley football team and their coaches (several of them being Tech graduates).

Wonder how the Valley coaches will explain to the football squad that they can no longer use Martin Field? Wonder what the squad will think?
1 post removed
omg

Charleston, WV

#12 Jul 19, 2011
I personally know every coach of valley high school. I have asked them a number of times about this issue and the same answer comes out, "They are raising prices!"
no no

Charleston, WV

#13 Jul 20, 2011
who is the official people that have said that vhs cannot play at Tech without paying 10,000.? Does anyone know the names for sure. The community would be more than willing to protest but must get his information from the "horses mouth".
articlenewspaper

Charleston, WV

#14 Jul 20, 2011
there was an article on the front page of the newspaper about this issue today. It stated that valley high school has to pay 1 thousand dollars per game at home. i dont think that adds up, because i do think VHS Has some away games in their schedule.
Not

United States

#15 Jul 22, 2011
Scott Hurst, WVU Tech.
person who knows

Charleston, WV

#16 Jul 28, 2011
what a mess wrote:
I have received first hand information that Tech was requesting $16,000 for this years upcoming football season at Martin Field. They have now dropped that figure to $10,000. Knowing that Valley/Montgomery High paid zero in years past, it seems that inflation is a little out of control!!!
Tech has the nerve to use East Bank Middle and Riverside properties at little to no cost, but wants to bleed Valley of money they do not have.
This will be out soon in the media and the pressure will be applied. Let's see if Tech wants to play with political and community pressure. They've tried before and lost.
May the best man win.
Tech does not pay anything to East Bank Middle school for the use of the baseball field at East Bank Middle School!! In fact, East Bank Middle school Baseball team has to schedule their games around Tech schedule, does that seem fair to you??? What a waste when 50% of those kids will end up at Tech.....My advice is protest, start a petition, and call every news station in the Valley, that should get Valley the use of the field!!!
1 post removed
cedar grove trucker

Charleston, WV

#18 Jul 28, 2011
No matter if if they win or lose every game only true fans will stick behind them
1 post removed
valleyandtechalu mni

Charleston, WV

#20 Jul 29, 2011
person who knows wrote:
<quoted text>Tech does not pay anything to East Bank Middle school for the use of the baseball field at East Bank Middle School!! In fact, East Bank Middle school Baseball team has to schedule their games around Tech schedule, does that seem fair to you??? What a waste when 50% of those kids will end up at Tech.....My advice is protest, start a petition, and call every news station in the Valley, that should get Valley the use of the field!!!
Tech asked valley years ago if they could renovate the baseball field and use it, they were going to replace EVERything... Valley said no. So that is why they play at eastbank, they agreed ti this offer. Yes they play free there and eastbank schedules games around them, but that was a stipulation that eb was in agreement with. The field looks wonderful now and tech does all the upkeep on the grounds.
we shall overcome

Charleston, WV

#21 Jul 30, 2011
Tech didn't renovate East Bank's field. Ed Robinson did. He wanted his son to have a coaching career. It was not a favor to East Bank or Kanawha County schools. Did it benefit EB, yes in terms of having a nice field. Did it benefit Tech? Of course it did. Tech and their cronies don't do anything that doesn't benefit them personally. They are raping Valley High School. Bottom line, Valley cannot afford to pay for Martin Field, nor should they have to. Let Tech find their needed money in administrative cuts, starting with Scott Hurst and all of his followers. A new administration will benefit the college and the community. The sooner the better.
peace brother and sister

Morgantown, WV

#22 Jul 30, 2011
seems to me everybody wants something for nothing, tech did fix eb baseball field nobody else did, it was techs people down there that fix the field. they opened the pool to the citezens of the the public.???????
peace brother and sister

Morgantown, WV

#23 Jul 30, 2011
I was there and help EB ball teams back then so I know what happen, want you think about this, should Tech have to pay for the power that Valley uses? no don't get me wrong I like watching Valley play I know most of the people over there,it cost a lot of money to turn those lights on. if Valley uses the field than they should have to share the cost of the up keep of the field., they use the locker rooms , there is a field at Gauley Bridge that belongs to the schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montgomery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 3 min Sundog512 1,618
Jerry Odell's missing wife 27 min Sensi 51
News Domestic incident results in murder charge in F... 8 hr Donna 1
Local girl, Madolyn Williamson, making shoplift... 10 hr Angelfood McSpade 9
Bobbie Rae Webb 18 hr The Devil knows all 1
Travis Grose 19 hr Winifred 9
Tammy mcclung Mon yep 23

Montgomery Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance