Summit casts primary votes along raci...

Summit casts primary votes along racial, economic lines

There are 138 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Mar 8, 2008, titled Summit casts primary votes along racial, economic lines. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Hillary Rodham Clinton rightly credits Ohio with rejuvenating her presidential campaign.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
joec

Wadsworth, OH

#1 Mar 9, 2008
This story does not reflect the possibility that blacks and the more educated did not vote for Hillary because she is a white woman, or merely because she is "just" a woman. We always assume that Barack does not get votes on account of racial prejudice.
Listen Please

United States

#2 Mar 9, 2008
I would just like to say that as a black person,, and I resent the implication that black folks are overwhelmingly voting for Obama because he is black. Why can't it be that he is qualified to do the job well and that he recognizes the desire of many folks of all colors to build a more fair America? Maybe its part of a deep, inbred perception that blacks are stupid, non-thinking creatures. Please overcome that stereotype. Another factor that folks don't consider about Ohio is its strong roots with the KKK(check your local history,,especially the founding members of Akron School Board and how Ohio was " the hub" of KKK activity back in the day). Like it or not, Descendants with that KKK mentality still exist in Ohio.( I know they endorsed Obama,,but it wasn't the Ohio chapter, believe me) Unfortunately,,some of those folks are in positions of power too,,, but thats another story. Its very unfortunate if anyone would NOT vote for a qualified individual just because he's black(or has a funny name, or a woman!) and its just as sad TO vote for someone for these reasons. Hilary is equally qualified and I hope her passion and energies are used somehow for the good of the country in another capacity, but for me,, Obama represents more of what I want in America and thats change from the status quo and holding folks accountable for giving back to their communities and fighting for whats right like he did. He is not focused on just black this or that, but building America to what it should be,, for all of us. FYI/in my opinion-to all the Mccain supporters,,to support him means you are doing well financially and don't mind the rising gas and grocery prices, our dying youth in Iraq staying another 100 years. It also means you are selfish and don't care about the millions of struggling working folks,,just because you are doing well. You have no heart for your fellow man because its all about your individual pockets and don't believe in fair shares. That does not make for a happy, harmonious world, when the majority are struggling. I challenge all bloggers after me to be intelligent and not hateful in their comments.
Be honest

Northfield, OH

#3 Mar 9, 2008
So if a lot of whites vote for Hillary, it's prejudice. When Obama gets 90% of the black votes, it's, well, they're allowed to be that way.

“Defender of our Constitution”

Since: Nov 07

North Olmsted, OH

#4 Mar 9, 2008
"Hillary Rodham Clinton rightly credits Ohio with rejuvenating her presidential campaign."

You are kidding, right?

Hilary's campaign is over. Someone needs to explain math to her, because there is no way she can beat Obama at this point. He has too big of a lead in the delegate count, and even if she beat him in every remaining primary by the 10 point margin she had in Ohio, she would still lose. And, the simple fact is, she won't win every state, as we saw yesterday in the Wyoming caucus, where Obama beat her by 23 points.
Bubbs

Shelby, OH

#5 Mar 9, 2008
Listen Please wrote:
FYI/in my opinion-to all the Mccain supporters,,to support him means you are doing well financially and don't mind the rising gas and grocery prices, our dying youth in Iraq staying another 100 years. It also means you are selfish and don't care about the millions of struggling working folks,,just because you are doing well. You have no heart for your fellow man because its all about your individual pockets and don't believe in fair shares. That does not make for a happy, harmonious world, when the majority are struggling. I challenge all bloggers after me to be intelligent and not hateful in their comments.
Most republicans are not doing well, they do have the richest in the nation in their camp, but the rank and file are rural voters who don't want their guns taken away, small business owners who see their profits eaten away by taxes and evangelicals who'd throw a mother under the bus to save a fetus. They also don't believe in social programs because of a cultural belief in individual accountability. While the GOP gives lip service to its rank and file, it doesn't actually accomplish anything. After 8 years of GOP control, they still haven't overturned Roe V. Wade and while they will cut taxes to small business owners, they also pave the way to seeing those small businesses run out by mega-corporations. The GOP fundamentally neglects and abuses it's voter base.
That being said, the DNC is guilty of similar crimes. Clinton's NAFTA has played out well for the economy as a whole, especially for white-collar professionals who are most easily tempted by the GOP's stance against capital gains taxes. The DNC has also failed to stand up for equal rights for gays, they offer plenty of lip service, but no hard action. They also haven't ended the drug war which creates an easy economy that perpetuates anti-social behavior and a culture of incarceration.
Both parties are staffed by lawyers. They're not there to change a cash cow that's paying out to them. Their job is to try to convince the public that one side of the two-party coin is more valuable than the other while still not delivering anything to anyone but themselves. Regardless of all the hype, Obama is every bit the criminal that Hillary and McCain are. He's not in this game for anything other than the cash, he's a politician just like the rest of them.
As far as your paleolithic take on race is concerned, 1/3 of whites are failing. Take a drive through Kenmore or Barberton and explain to me how those rickets-ridden slack-jaws have it so much better than the blacks. There's a simple formula for success in the US, apply yourself academically and delay procreation until you've established your career. Whites who can't follow that rule fail at exactly the same rate that blacks who can't follow it fail. There's no difference between failing in a trailer park and failing in a ghetto, it's all about academic apathy, blaming other people and a sense of entitlement to things for which they never applied themselves. When whites try to improve their lot, they're called "Yuppies" by their families. When blacks do it, according to media, they're called "Boogie" or "trying to be white". The race card goes to a game that capitalist economics isn't playing anymore, you need to be examining the class issue a little more closely. Each class in the US has it's own culture that parents hand down to their kids. Failure begets failure because kids learn from example and inherit their attitudes from those examples. Obama learned success from his parents' example, what are poor people teaching their kids through their behaviors? The market doesn't care about your pigment level, it cares about being able to capitalize on you.
Listen Please

United States

#7 Mar 9, 2008
Be honest wrote:
So if a lot of whites vote for Hillary, it's prejudice. When Obama gets 90% of the black votes, it's, well, they're allowed to be that way.
You cannot dispute that both are qualified. The question I pose is what are the true reasons white rural and middle class in Ohio don't support Obama, but white, rural in all classes in Iowa overwhelmingly did. What is the difference in these 2 populations? I've lived/worked in Ohio most of my years so I am used to it. When I get out of town visitors/relatives,, they notice right away and always seem to mention that Akron and Ohio in general is a "good old boys town" and Hilary is more aligned with that club more than Obama. Most of my progressive, open-minded classmates/peers leave Ohio because it is stifling for the young who believe that the world can be what you make it. Unless you follow the status quo in Akron,,life is hard for those who think outside the box. I reiterate from my previous comment,,It is terribly misguided for blacks or anyone to vote or not vote for someone because of their race, sex, name etc. Please don't insult our intelligence to say 90% of us are voting for him "only" because he is black. Blacks(and smart"rich", out of box thinking folks of all colors) are overwhelmingly voting for Obama because they see a qualified person,, who happens to be black(Lord knows there are enough negative images of blacks,,so whats so wrong about blacks being proud of him?)
Listen Please

United States

#8 Mar 9, 2008
True Patriot wrote:
"Hillary Rodham Clinton rightly credits Ohio with rejuvenating her presidential campaign."
You are kidding, right?
Hilary's campaign is over. Someone needs to explain math to her, because there is no way she can beat Obama at this point. He has too big of a lead in the delegate count, and even if she beat him in every remaining primary by the 10 point margin she had in Ohio, she would still lose. And, the simple fact is, she won't win every state, as we saw yesterday in the Wyoming caucus, where Obama beat her by 23 points.
Can she pull something and win with the Super Delegates?
Here we go again

Akron, OH

#9 Mar 9, 2008
With the race issue. Barack has alot of white voters. This crap about Barack getting only the black vote is just stupid, racists and the media is not helping by inciting the flame. Good grief! I agree with JoeC and ListenPlease.
the truth

Canton, OH

#10 Mar 9, 2008
Be honest wrote:
So if a lot of whites vote for Hillary, it's prejudice. When Obama gets 90% of the black votes, it's, well, they're allowed to be that way.
Well said.If Hillary won 90% of the white vote and 40% of the black, I wonder if the press would be writing about racial prejudice among blacks who didn't vote for her. What utter garbage.
Listen Please

United States

#11 Mar 9, 2008
Bubbs wrote:
<quoted text>
Most republicans are not doing well, they do have the richest in the nation in their camp, but the rank and file are rural voters who don't want their guns taken away, small business owners who see their profits eaten away by taxes and evangelicals who'd throw a mother under the bus to save a fetus. They also don't believe in social programs because of a cultural belief in individual accountability. While the GOP gives lip service to its rank and file, it doesn't actually accomplish anything. After 8 years of GOP control, they still haven't overturned Roe V. Wade and while they will cut taxes to small business owners, they also pave the way to seeing those small businesses run out by mega-corporations. The GOP fundamentally neglects and abuses it's voter base.
That being said, the DNC is guilty of similar crimes. Clinton's NAFTA has played out well for the economy as a whole, especially for white-collar professionals who are most easily tempted by the GOP's stance against capital gains taxes. The DNC has also failed to stand up for equal rights for gays, they offer plenty of lip service, but no hard action. They also haven't ended the drug war which creates an easy economy that perpetuates anti-social behavior and a culture of incarceration.
Both parties are staffed by lawyers. They're not there to change a cash cow that's paying out to them. Their job is to try to convince the public that one side of the two-party coin is more valuable than the other while still not delivering anything to anyone but themselves. Regardless of all the hype, Obama is every bit the criminal that Hillary and McCain are. He's not in this game for anything other than the cash, he's a politician just like the rest of them.
As far as your paleolithic take on race is concerned, 1/3 of whites are failing. Take a drive through Kenmore or Barberton and explain to me how those rickets-ridden slack-jaws have it so much better than the blacks. There's a simple formula for success in the US, apply yourself academically and delay procreation until you've established your career. Whites who can't follow that rule fail at exactly the same rate that blacks who can't follow it fail. There's no difference between failing in a trailer park and failing in a ghetto, it's all about academic apathy, blaming other people and a sense of entitlement to things for which they never applied themselves. When whites try to improve their lot, they're called "Yuppies" by their families. When blacks do it, according to media, they're called "Boogie" or "trying to be white". The race card goes to a game that capitalist economics isn't playing anymore, you need to be examining the class issue a little more closely. Each class in the US has it's own culture that parents hand down to their kids. Failure begets failure because kids learn from example and inherit their attitudes from those examples. Obama learned success from his parents' example, what are poor people teaching their kids through their behaviors? The market doesn't care about your pigment level, it cares about being able to capitalize on you.
I agree with you on all points,,,except about what are poor people teaching their kids. Growing up financially poor does not automatically translate into children who are going to be poor adults. It is the values that you teach your children,,whether you are rich, poor, upper, middle,lower or no class at all. I don't think all whites are rich or all blacks poor. I recognize that classism crosses all color lines.
the truth

Canton, OH

#12 Mar 9, 2008
Listen Please wrote:
I would just like to say that as a black person,, and I resent the implication that black folks are overwhelmingly voting for Obama because he is black. Why can't it be that he is qualified to do the job well and that he recognizes the desire of many folks of all colors to build a more fair America? Maybe its part of a deep, inbred perception that blacks are stupid, non-thinking creatures. Please overcome that stereotype. Another factor that folks don't consider about Ohio is its strong roots with the KKK(check your local history,,especially the founding members of Akron School Board and how Ohio was " the hub" of KKK activity back in the day). Like it or not, Descendants with that KKK mentality still exist in Ohio.( I know they endorsed Obama,,but it wasn't the Ohio chapter, believe me) Unfortunately,,some of those folks are in positions of power too,,, but thats another story. Its very unfortunate if anyone would NOT vote for a qualified individual just because he's black(or has a funny name, or a woman!) and its just as sad TO vote for someone for these reasons. Hilary is equally qualified and I hope her passion and energies are used somehow for the good of the country in another capacity, but for me,, Obama represents more of what I want in America and thats change from the status quo and holding folks accountable for giving back to their communities and fighting for whats right like he did. He is not focused on just black this or that, but building America to what it should be,, for all of us. FYI/in my opinion-to all the Mccain supporters,,to support him means you are doing well financially and don't mind the rising gas and grocery prices, our dying youth in Iraq staying another 100 years. It also means you are selfish and don't care about the millions of struggling working folks,,just because you are doing well. You have no heart for your fellow man because its all about your individual pockets and don't believe in fair shares. That does not make for a happy, harmonious world, when the majority are struggling. I challenge all bloggers after me to be intelligent and not hateful in their comments.
Deep inbred perception? So you believe whites are genetically predisposed to automatically believe that blacks are generally stupid? What a racist comment to blanket your argument.
ramon

Canton, OH

#13 Mar 9, 2008
Welcome to Ohio, the Mississippi of the north. Take a look at the county by county vote at CNN.com and you will see why Ohio has earned its reputation of being a red state. It's red in every way imaginable.
SDespot

Avon Lake, OH

#15 Mar 9, 2008
Give me a break! I'm white and I know PLENTY of white people who are voting for Obama because they feel he is qualified to do the job. There are a few Hillary supporters in the mix too. I don't know anyone who is thinking that McCain is the one to vote for.
Michelle

Akron, OH

#16 Mar 9, 2008
Be honest wrote:
So if a lot of whites vote for Hillary, it's prejudice. When Obama gets 90% of the black votes, it's, well, they're allowed to be that way.
I don't believe that the article is necessarily applying that, I do believe that what they're saying is somewhat true about some Ohioans being prejudicial towards minorities especially black people. I'm a white woman and I'm very proud of my accomplishments. I have a very good job and I'm surviving financially. I'm a democrat and have been for some time. I follow the presidential election closely and I listen to all of the candidates. I've found over the years that the republican nominees aren't grasping what I need as an American in order to survive. I do on the other hand work with majority white people and from day one every last one of them with the exception of one, said they wouldn't dare vote for a black man. At that time, I expressed my concerns about listening to everyone and vote for the one who can bring HOPE to our country. It's racial tension at work sometimes because of the high strong white people (smile). I socialize with everyone it doesn't matter what race they are. The black people that I work with are very educated and respectful to their co-workers and it's sad that things are the way they are there. If people felt the way I do and treated everyone the same then the US would be a stronger, loving country.
truth

Norwalk, OH

#17 Mar 9, 2008
The Angry White Man is pissed off. When his job site becomes flooded with illegal workers who donít pay taxes and his wages drop like a stone, he gets righteously angry. When his job gets shipped overseas, and he has to speak to some incomprehensible idiot in India for tech support, he simmers. When Al Sharpton comes on TV, leading some rally for reparations for slavery or some such nonsense, he bites his tongue and he remembers. When a child gets charged with carrying a concealed weapon for mistakenly bringing a penknife to school, he takes note of who the local idiots are in education and law enforcement.

Heís not a racist, but he is annoyed and disappointed when people of certain backgrounds exhibit behavior that typifies the worst stereotypes of their race. Heís willing to give everybody a fair chance if they work hard and play by the rules.
Republican Crossovers

AOL

#18 Mar 9, 2008
Did you look at how many people crossed over in Hudson to vote for Obama ? These are the true believers who voted D to get the weakest candidate in the fall.
ramon

Canton, OH

#19 Mar 9, 2008
SDespot wrote:
Give me a break! I'm white and I know PLENTY of white people who are voting for Obama because they feel he is qualified to do the job. There are a few Hillary supporters in the mix too. I don't know anyone who is thinking that McCain is the one to vote for.
I am a white guy who prefers Obama as well. However, McCain would be my second choice over Hillary simply because he has also demonstrated the ability to work the other side of the aisle over the years. Hillary, on the other hand cannot unite her own party let alone the opposition party. It will not matter in Ohio as it will go republican unless The Dems resurrect Lester Maddox or somebody comparable as their VP on the ticket.
What

Akron, OH

#22 Mar 9, 2008
Here we go again wrote:
With the race issue. Barack has alot of white voters. This crap about Barack getting only the black vote is just stupid, racists and the media is not helping by inciting the flame. Good grief! I agree with JoeC and ListenPlease.
It didn't say that only black people voted for Barack. The well working class white people also voted for him. They separated it according to wards and that's how they broke it down into groups.
Mike

Akron, OH

#23 Mar 9, 2008
If McCain wins in Nov. we're going to be doomed. You think Bush is bad, you haven't seen nothing yet. Let us all pray.
Right on

Akron, OH

#24 Mar 9, 2008
ramon wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a white guy who prefers Obama as well. However, McCain would be my second choice over Hillary simply because he has also demonstrated the ability to work the other side of the aisle over the years. Hillary, on the other hand cannot unite her own party let alone the opposition party. It will not matter in Ohio as it will go republican unless The Dems resurrect Lester Maddox or somebody comparable as their VP on the ticket.
Right on! You hit the majic word re: Hillary UNITE. She is dividing the democratic party each and every day especially with her comparison with McCain have more experience than Barack. If she doesn't win nobody will. She is selfish and paththeic! She doesn't care if Barack wins, she is only concerned with herself. She only caters to Women and Children. She said it herself the other day that she encourages women to vote for her. Enough said!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montgomery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawyers for Ohio ex-lawmaker seek acquittal in ... 22 hr Neighbor 1
News Our History: John Coyne and his tank (Aug '11) Wed SOLOLUCKY 10
News Reaction follows acquittal of Cleveland police ... Tue Charlie 2
mohammed Tue felix 5
CINCINatI is TOO ANTI-gay (Jun '09) Tue Duke Nukem 110
airport parking Tue Kelly 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Tue Bam 19,928
More from around the web

Montgomery People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]