Tax hike would maintain services

Tax hike would maintain services

There are 24 comments on the Oswego Ledger-Sentinel story from Mar 30, 2010, titled Tax hike would maintain services. In it, Oswego Ledger-Sentinel reports that:

Like virtually every municipality throughout the Chicagoland area, the Village of Oswego has found itself in extremely difficult financial straits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oswego Ledger-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LilIrish

Warrenville, IL

#1 Mar 31, 2010
Shop in Montgomery. It's now cheaper
Farmer Joe

La Grange Park, IL

#2 Mar 31, 2010
Yeah sure, use up that $3.00 gas .............
Leigh

Oswego, IL

#3 Mar 31, 2010
I think given the alternatives it was a good decision. A lot of nonresidents shop in Oswego and they will be paying that sales tax. You can try and shop in Montgomery, but I don't think they have any good place to shop, and it just doesn't seem as safe.
LilIrish

Warrenville, IL

#4 Apr 1, 2010
Leigh - not as safe? Are you kidding me? There have been so many armed robberies and thefts in Oswego in the past 6 months, it's a joke. Tell me about any of this going on in Montgomery.
NONE.
Montgomery has some great places to shop - esp. the Super WalMart.
I won't shop in Oswego once this tax increase goes through. Compared with Montgomery's sales tax, it will save me more than $200 a year.
taxed to death

Mount Prospect, IL

#5 Apr 1, 2010
Too bad about Oswego hiking thier taxes...I make it a point to shop there and Montgomery. Looks like I'll just go to Montgomery now.
fed up too

United States

#6 Apr 2, 2010
maybe this will keep out the mexicans that come into town to shop
PO_d

Elk Grove Village, IL

#7 Apr 2, 2010
If you dig down, what they really need this money for is to continue the golden benefits package to public employees, like regular pay raises, pensions and fully paid health care. Public employees should have a 401K and pay 1/3rd of their health care just like the private citizens they are supposed to be serving. We could have more teachers in the schools and more police on the beat for less money.
Tim

Romeoville, IL

#8 Apr 2, 2010
What difference does it make keep taxing us into poverty, Illinois will truly turn back into nothing but prairies and organized crime. Hell we got the Chicago mob in the White House.
MLB

United States

#9 Apr 4, 2010
PO_d wrote:
If you dig down, what they really need this money for is to continue the golden benefits package to public employees, like regular pay raises, pensions and fully paid health care. Public employees should have a 401K and pay 1/3rd of their health care just like the private citizens they are supposed to be serving. We could have more teachers in the schools and more police on the beat for less money.
The Village employees do pay a lot for health care & pay own pension. Where did you get your information?
Joe

Warrenville, IL

#10 Apr 4, 2010
MLB wrote:
<quoted text>
The Village employees do pay a lot for health care & pay own pension. Where did you get your information?
It depends on what you think a lot is. As a Village employee I only pay around 15 % of the monthly premium for my health insurance.
andy

Shorewood, IL

#11 Apr 4, 2010
yes raise the taxes.. keep those free spending progressive politicans spend money on beautification of downtown, with empty bulidings.. and payoffs ahhh money rebates to developers.. got to make sure mr. lamb have a job.. yep drive out businesses.. whats next sec. 8 housing..
anothermom

Montgomery, IL

#12 Apr 5, 2010
andy wrote:
yes raise the taxes.. keep those free spending progressive politicans spend money on beautification of downtown, with empty bulidings.. and payoffs ahhh money rebates to developers.. got to make sure mr. lamb have a job.. yep drive out businesses.. whats next sec. 8 housing..
Oswego already has Sec. 8 housing. At least it is pretty sec. 8 housing.
Taxed Enough Yet

Oswego, IL

#13 Apr 10, 2010
I read last week's Ledger Sentinel and read Brian LeClercq's defense of his tie breaking vote to raise the sales tax rate.
First, he argued that because it would "cost someone $3 more to purchase a $600 suit or $5 more for someone who buys a $1500 flat screen TV...I don't think in either case that will be a deal-breaker for most people." My problem with this reasoning is that we've heard this same line of reasoning before as the Sales Tax rate has climbed all the way up to 7.75%! My grandparents used to call this "being nickeled and dimed" - I guess with inflation its more like we're being quartered and half-dollared
Next, he actually said that the rate would be "less than the sales tax being charged in nearby Aurora." Oh Joy! Is Aurora now the benchmark for all things we want to see in Oswego!!??
I read more of the article and got confused. First he said that "we've made the cuts" and then he said that the board would be "coming back with another $500,000 in cuts in the next few weeks." If you've "made the cuts," how can there "be more cuts." Something seems amiss.
Then the last thing in the article that really irked me was the claim that "the big ball" (development) stopped rolling because of the economy. The economy was a big part of it, yes. But isn't this exactly what LeClercq wanted to have happen when he ran for the office? "We're going to ask what the developers can do for us, not what we can do for the developers," he campaigned. He's a finance guy who served on the board before he became Village President. He had to know that when the development slowed, that there would be a negative impact on revenues.
Today, I see a new Buona Beef going up in Montgomery. A new Emergency Center will be developed in Yorkville. I thought we had a nice development in the works for the old Alexander Lumber property, but I guess the developers aren't willing to do enough in Oswego. Too bad.
Of course, today, Mr. LeClercq's full time job is Community Development Officer at Allied Bank. I guess one of the things that LeClercq must be asking the developers is to finance their project through Allied. I'm not sure why no one has called LeClercq out on this conflict of interest, especially after there were three full page ads by Allied announcing his appointment - Hey look! We've got your Village President on our payroll!
Underwhelmed

United States

#14 Apr 12, 2010
fed up too wrote:
maybe this will keep out the mexicans that come into town to shop
Again, more racist comments. What is wrong with you, dude
Underwhelmed

United States

#15 Apr 12, 2010
Taxed Enough Yet wrote:
I read last week's Ledger Sentinel and read Brian LeClercq's defense of his tie breaking vote to raise the sales tax rate.
First, he argued that because it would "cost someone $3 more to purchase a $600 suit or $5 more for someone who buys a $1500 flat screen TV...I don't think in either case that will be a deal-breaker for most people." My problem with this reasoning is that we've heard this same line of reasoning before as the Sales Tax rate has climbed all the way up to 7.75%! My grandparents used to call this "being nickeled and dimed" - I guess with inflation its more like we're being quartered and half-dollared
Next, he actually said that the rate would be "less than the sales tax being charged in nearby Aurora." Oh Joy! Is Aurora now the benchmark for all things we want to see in Oswego!!??
I read more of the article and got confused. First he said that "we've made the cuts" and then he said that the board would be "coming back with another $500,000 in cuts in the next few weeks." If you've "made the cuts," how can there "be more cuts." Something seems amiss.
Then the last thing in the article that really irked me was the claim that "the big ball" (development) stopped rolling because of the economy. The economy was a big part of it, yes. But isn't this exactly what LeClercq wanted to have happen when he ran for the office? "We're going to ask what the developers can do for us, not what we can do for the developers," he campaigned. He's a finance guy who served on the board before he became Village President. He had to know that when the development slowed, that there would be a negative impact on revenues.
Today, I see a new Buona Beef going up in Montgomery. A new Emergency Center will be developed in Yorkville. I thought we had a nice development in the works for the old Alexander Lumber property, but I guess the developers aren't willing to do enough in Oswego. Too bad.
Of course, today, Mr. LeClercq's full time job is Community Development Officer at Allied Bank. I guess one of the things that LeClercq must be asking the developers is to finance their project through Allied. I'm not sure why no one has called LeClercq out on this conflict of interest, especially after there were three full page ads by Allied announcing his appointment - Hey look! We've got your Village President on our payroll!
wow yea that's crazy! I read that that development won't happen (Alexander in Oswego) because the developer can't get a loan? Maybe he went to LeClerq's bank. I hear that Oswego (village and school district) is dirtier than Chicago in behind closed doors deals.
bad data

Elk Grove Village, IL

#16 Apr 12, 2010
Underwhelmed wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, more racist comments. What is wrong with you, dude
lol, Underwhelmed, I'd say you answered your own question. If it quacks like a duck...
Underwhelmed

United States

#17 Apr 13, 2010
So yea, looks like this Oswego "community" is full of baby-racists who don't do or say anything when their taxes go up or when they are bullied by the school district into accepting anything they do.
It's amazing what one can find out about a community by accessing local blogs and news.
bad data

Elk Grove Village, IL

#18 Apr 13, 2010
You're looking at a small subset, Underwhelmed. Don't judge the whole town based on the anonymous ranting of a few people who may or may not actually be FROM Oswego. I could just as easily say that Bristol is full of judgemental, brash loudmouths who like to peek in on the discussions of their neighboring villages and cast aspersions. Thankfully, I know a few good, upstanding citizens from Bristol, who are kind, thoughtful and polite, so I can balance the two viewpoints.

You've made several posts here in the past few days. Do you have something constructive to add to the conversation, or are you just going to stir the pot, like the baby-racists you so vehemently despise?
Underwhelmed

United States

#19 Apr 14, 2010
I love stirring the pot "bad data" (how telling). I have so much money this is entertaining to me because I don't have to work. Yea I agree there are some really great people who live in Oswego. And for all you know, you've already met me. haha
fed up too

United States

#20 Apr 14, 2010
so will it keep the mexicans out or not?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montgomery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former U.S. House Speaker Hastert indicted on f... 3 hr Drifter 46
News Demilitarizing the cops: States retool police t... Sun goonsquad 38
News Latest on Hastert: Source: Payments to conceal ... May 30 John Drabble 1
News Hastert case is linked to sex abuse May 30 John Drabble 1
News Five reasons why the Dennis Hastert scandal dis... May 30 John Drabble 1
News Ex-US Speaker Hastert indicted on bank-related ... May 29 judge judy 7
Oswego Police Suck (Dec '10) May 29 LOLatOPDPorkPatrol 27
More from around the web

Montgomery People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE