Four dead in single-car crash in Oswego

Four dead in single-car crash in Oswego

There are 10 comments on the The Southern Illinoisan story from Feb 11, 2007, titled Four dead in single-car crash in Oswego. In it, The Southern Illinoisan reports that:

Four teenagers died and five other people were injured Sunday when a car struck a utility pole in the Kendall County town of Oswego, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Southern Illinoisan.

tracey d

United States

#1 Feb 11, 2007
I am devastated by this event. I am a parent. I also personally know and love the father of one of the children involved in this accident. How dare any person not associated with this family pass judgement on a parent of any of these children. I have known this family for 25 years. This man is a single parent and a loving father. He has had a difficult journey raising four daughters alone. His children mean the world to him. He has been trying to repair the scars left on his children by the abandonment of their mother while dealing with his own critical health issues.

Perhaps as a society, we should not be so quick to judge a person without knowing all the facts.
sues

Westmont, IL

#2 Feb 11, 2007
NO JUDGEMENT SHOULD BE PLACED AS MY FRIEND DIED ON MY LAP 27YEARS AGO FEB 10, THIS IS TRAGIC FOR THE FAMILIES AND THE SURVIVORS WHO MADE A BAD CHOICE. I WALKED MY SON THRU A CEMETARY BEFORE HE GOT HIS LICENCE THIS YEAR , AND HE STILL HAS NOT BEEN GIVEN A CAR, WE AS PARENTS CAN ONLY TEACH FROM EXPERIENCE, THESE CHILDREN AND FAMILIES WILL TAKE YEARS TO HEAL LETS SUPPORT THEM THE BEST WE CAN, THE DRIVER MADE A BAD CHOICE, AND SHE WILL PAY FOR IT MORE MENTALLY THAN AYTHING ELSE. OSWEGO
Jessica

Niles, MI

#3 Feb 11, 2007
tracey d wrote:
I am devastated by this event. I am a parent. I also personally know and love the father of one of the children involved in this accident. How dare any person not associated with this family pass judgement on a parent of any of these children. I have known this family for 25 years. This man is a single parent and a loving father. He has had a difficult journey raising four daughters alone. His children mean the world to him. He has been trying to repair the scars left on his children by the abandonment of their mother while dealing with his own critical health issues.
Perhaps as a society, we should not be so quick to judge a person without knowing all the facts.
i completely agree with you--in the other stories peole were saying that parents needed to be more responsible...it's not the parents fault and these children did not deserve it---they will be missed! r.i.p katie matt jessica and tiffany
Anon

Oswego, IL

#4 Feb 12, 2007
LOVE don't HATE!!! Too many people want to blame somebody. Don't the parents have enough to deal with? Send them your prayers and offer your support, they will blame themselves PLENTY! Treasure the time you have with your loved ones, there are no guarentees they will be here tomorrow.
Sandy

Bolingbrook, IL

#5 Feb 12, 2007
No don't blame the parents but what about the 23 year old drunk driver, who also happens to be the mother of 2?? She SHOULD be to blame and she did get a DUI and possibly other charges to come. I think it is easy to blame the parents and the teens but teens do this all the time, even the best teens with the best parents. It just happens unfortunately. These kids didn't deserve this neither did their families and friends. No good comes from this except maybe to teach others not to make the same mistake. But as for the driver, she will have to live with this for the rest of her life and hopefully she won't make the same mistake again. She has 2 children who need a mother. Sad all the way around.
Clair G

AOL

#6 Feb 12, 2007
Good point Sandy. The only good that could possibly come from this awful tragedy is if in the future other kids might pause and think and not get in harms' way. If it saves lives to remember
this, that will be a definitive step in the right direction. Nothing can bring those precious children back to life, or assure the health of those that are critically wounded. I know one of the families well, they are so giving and loving, my heart goes out to them and everyone else affected. It is hard to find the right words now.
I wish there could be something helpful we could all do. It is so very, very sad indeed.

Since: Feb 07

Oswego

#7 Feb 14, 2007
First, this is extremely SAD and I pray for all involved God will be with you and your children always, just open your heart!

Second, What are the consequences of having these children out past curfew? If there are to be village laws that govern our behavior should they not be enforced regardless of the very sad circumstances? What will the rest of the community learn from this? We as parents must be held responsible for our children and their actions. When I was 15 I drove a friends car without a license with 7 people in the car (including my little brother who was not given a choice) no seatbelts were worn and we crashed into a utility pole causing a power outage and BY THE GRACE OF GOD only somewhat minor injuries occurred. My parents were held accountable for MY actions along with the other parents (owners of the vehicle) which makes sense of curfew laws to me now. From that day on my parents ALWAYS knew where I was at and we both made that agreement.
Parents everywhere need to talk with your children and make sure that this could not happen to your family, this is simply a case of PARENTS and their chidren NOT Communicating PERIOD. Parents have been interviewed and have admitted they thought their child was here or there and NO ONE knew the location of their child. With honest discussions, trust (not to mention technology ie cell phones, GPS from home computers)or getting in your car and checking on your child. NO one has ever said that raising adults was easy nothing wonderful ever is!
Lennis Geiken

AOL

#8 Feb 14, 2007
I don't know all the kids involved, but I do think whom ever they got the alchol from should be on charges as well as the driver.
I also feel the kids should have to do community service or something for a year for drinking and riding in a car with that many kids when they knew it was not allowed. And none should get a drivers license till at least 21 years old. Most all had a permit or soon would, or had a license.

No more I am not 18 you can't do anything to me it was someone elses fault
They new right from wrong ALL of them
Daniela Romo

Montgomery, IL

#9 Dec 13, 2009
I remember my 7th grade year i was in my class room and my friend was crying because his brother was in that crash. Every one was shaking and wondering why here? We're just a small town nothing bad should happen here. We were so young to realize that death can happen to any one...
fed up too

Melrose Park, IL

#10 Dec 14, 2009
yes daniela death is not easy.... it is much harder when a young person is taken away in this way....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montgomery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Raymond Theodore Powell 23 hr UNKNOWN 2
Review: Woof Beach In Batavia Illinois Jul 28 Jerry 1
Why were Police at Joliet & Lagrange road yeste... Jul 23 Wondering 1
Designer's garage sale/moving sale! Multi family! Jul 23 bree 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Aurora Jul 20 bmack_91 22
Review: LA Fitness (Oct '09) Jul 14 raylene 12
Kendall County Property Taxes OUT OF CONTROL!! (Nov '07) Jul 9 noreliefmiddleclass 133
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montgomery Mortgages