Missing woman's family sues over police missteps

Feb 13, 2009 Full story: BeavertonValleyTimes

The family of a 69-year-old Beaverton woman who disappeared for 12 days two years ago is suing the state of Washington, Grays Harbor County, Wash., and the city of Beaverton for what they say was negligence ...

Full Story

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#1 Mar 8, 2009
That's right, sue, it's the American way..any reason why the old lady with Alhiemer's was allowed access to a vehicle? We should be suing you. She should have had a babysitter, not a car.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#2 Apr 3, 2010
Debra27 wrote:
2) That's right, sue, it's the American way.

3) any reason why the old lady with Alhiemer's was allowed access to a vehicle?

4) We should be suing you. She should have had a babysitter, not a car.
2) A lawsuit is the only way to bring information to light in front of a jury and a judge who is acting as the independent trier of fact. Additionally, civil process has a purpose, it keeps people from having pistol duels in the streets over civil matters.

3) I don't think the article was clear enough on why the woman was driving. She may have taken off with the vehicle without consent or a proper driver's license. My wife's sister is going through a dimentia disease at age 50, prior to her admission into a hospice, she had become a runaway several times even though her husband and daughter were watching her at home 24/7.

4) Baby sitter? Hmmmmmm, interesting comment considering the last year's discussion in politics regarding health care. If the woman was dangerous to be around machinery, the keys should have been guarded better.

As for whether or not the plantiff has a claim, I don't know, but what I do know is that I cite warren v. the district of columbia several times a week in regards to people who believe that police are responsible for protecting individuals. Warren v. The District of Columbia and many other cases hold that police are only responsible for individuals when a special duty is owed.

Additionally, if there's some sort of criminal negligence on behalf of police, they could be sued as individuals, but it is really tough to sue a government agency. I got an out of court settlement from a police agency back in the 1980s, it was for 3,500.00 bucks, the fact that they settled out of court is probably proof that they believed they would have lost their ass in court and since government agencies can often time claim "soverign immunity", I consider my suit against that agency as successful, not to money grubby and a great way to have the last word.

That said, I'd have to see more information before I'd believe that the widower would be able to get a settlement much less have a claim to begin with.

“yikes”

Since: Apr 10

school of hard knocks

#4 Apr 30, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>
2) A lawsuit is the only way to make some real big bucks off the public's back...settlements come from public coffers. Go for it!!

3) I don't think the article was clear enough on why the woman was driving. But I will go on to speculate, and compare this situation with my own...

4) Baby sitter? Hmmmmmm, I'm too stupid for an intelligent comment on this, so I will just hum instead.

As for whether or not the plantiff has a claim, I don't know, but again, I will comment as if I did know.

It is a public forum and I seem to feel the need to share my semi-intelligence...enjoy, as there will be no charge this time.
oh, yeah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montesano Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
locating the dragon (Mar '13) Dec 19 Annalisa Arnold 5
A little understanding goes a long way (Apr '09) Dec 15 Sandra Leo 150
aberdeen is a very dangerous place to live and ... (Aug '07) Dec 9 ANN 372
Why do Cosmopolis smell weird? Dec 9 Dot202 1
Pregnant woman wanted Dec 5 Fashin 1
Montesano parents concerned about school distri... (Mar '12) Dec 1 ann 3
Vigra Nov '14 Scotty2014 1

Montesano News Video

Montesano Dating
Find my Match