A new high school for Monterey?

A new high school for Monterey?

There are 163 comments on the Cookeville Herald story from Aug 6, 2011, titled A new high school for Monterey?. In it, Cookeville Herald reports that:

Should high school students in Monterey get a new school building to replace the 60-year-old dilapidated structure that is now considered more costly to repair than it is worth? Or should planners be thinking about a new high school in the eastern Cookeville area which could accommodate future growth here and to which the Monterey students could be ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cookeville Herald.

Too Funny

Santa Barbara, CA

#22 Aug 9, 2011
What is a new school going to help? It sure won't help the children to learn any better. This is the generation of lazy kids, and broken homes. Baxter got a new school, and the kids are still a joke. The money should be spent elsewhere, and not on b.s.
well

Cookeville, TN

#23 Aug 9, 2011
agreed wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right about the driving down & up the mountain. It would also make lot more driving for the parents and citizens that are also involved with the high school.
what about winter time ,monterey has alot more snow and ice than cookeville has.the roads get slicker up on the mountain than it does in the valley.go ahead and let your kids on the interstate in the winter time and get'em killed . get your head out of your asses people and get real.would you want your kids hurt or killed on the slick interstates think about it! i would rather see a new school built rather than a kid get in a wreck and get hurt.
icky

United States

#24 Aug 9, 2011
well wrote:
<quoted text>
what about winter time ,monterey has alot more snow and ice than cookeville has.the roads get slicker up on the mountain than it does in the valley.go ahead and let your kids on the interstate in the winter time and get'em killed . get your head out of your asses people and get real.would you want your kids hurt or killed on the slick interstates think about it! i would rather see a new school built rather than a kid get in a wreck and get hurt.
ok so don't build the Monterey hs closer to Cookeville to get more students into it because of mud slides and snow storms. That makes no sense. We are out of school when in frost, much less actual snow.
to Just Say NO

Monterey, TN

#25 Aug 9, 2011
Read Logic's remarks again but this time think about what he's saying...you just proved his point about arguing among ourselves. This is why we don't get much in Monterey, people like you!!!
really

Crossville, TN

#26 Aug 9, 2011
to Just Say NO wrote:
Read Logic's remarks again but this time think about what he's saying...you just proved his point about arguing among ourselves. This is why we don't get much in Monterey, people like you!!!
I totally agree w/ you. If everyone would step back for a moment & get ALL the facts on all the area schools, who's supporting them, what perks those kids recive, why they get them (parent involvment, ect) & compare it to MHS everyone can state facts that will actually get the attention of those in charge of these kids futures.
wrong

United States

#27 Aug 9, 2011
Too Funny wrote:
What is a new school going to help? It sure won't help the children to learn any better. This is the generation of lazy kids, and broken homes. Baxter got a new school, and the kids are still a joke. The money should be spent elsewhere, and not on b.s.
I currently work with two professionals from Upperman and one from Monterey that are top performers in our company. The kids in those communities are just as intelligent, talented and well educated as the kids at CHS. The new buildings are needed at both places but not to save the kids from their own stupidity. Being from a small community doesn't necessarily mean you are an uneducated idiot.
backroads

United States

#28 Aug 9, 2011
icky wrote:
<quoted text> they can ride down the mountain with their parents on the way to work. Lord knows they need to get use to leaving monterey for work.
I was raised until 16 in West Virginia in a very rural area and now am a college student. I get surprised about people talking wintertime during school. We went to school except if there was a blizzard. Why can't chains be used on the buses? Is this against the law? What do people do when they have to go to work? West Virginia has a lot of mountainous regions regions too, but if this is a great concern is there not an area to build the school where it would be easier for students to reach?
Too Funny

Oakdale, TN

#29 Aug 9, 2011
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
I currently work with two professionals from Upperman and one from Monterey that are top performers in our company. The kids in those communities are just as intelligent, talented and well educated as the kids at CHS. The new buildings are needed at both places but not to save the kids from their own stupidity. Being from a small community doesn't necessarily mean you are an uneducated idiot.
I am talking about kids in general. This generation of kids, is a joke. You can take respectful children and teach them under a tree, and they will learn more than these disrespectful children. They don't need a new school, what they need is a clue.
wrong

United States

#30 Aug 9, 2011
Too Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
I am talking about kids in general. This generation of kids, is a joke. You can take respectful children and teach them under a tree, and they will learn more than these disrespectful children. They don't need a new school, what they need is a clue.
I have three children who would benefit from the new buildings. I can assure you that no one who knows them would describe them as either lazy or disrespectful. While they can learn some things under a tree, in order to learn the things they need to compete for scholarships and jobs in today's economy, they need facilities that provide them with tools and technologies necessary to achieve what is provided in most other school systems. My daughter is in Honors Spanish 3 and is taking it via the new Distance Learning System. Opportunities like that don't exist under trees.
sad

Martin, TN

#31 Aug 9, 2011
backroads wrote:
<quoted text> I was raised until 16 in West Virginia in a very rural area and now am a college student. I get surprised about people talking wintertime during school. We went to school except if there was a blizzard. Why can't chains be used on the buses? Is this against the law? What do people do when they have to go to work? West Virginia has a lot of mountainous regions regions too, but if this is a great concern is there not an area to build the school where it would be easier for students to reach?
Chains could probaly be used on buses...chains does not work on ice...some of the really mountainous roads are iced over and no one should try to drive a school bus over them...and I appreciate the school officials that decide its safer staying at home instead taking the chance of losing one of precious children..
crazy

Crossville, TN

#32 Aug 9, 2011
the people of Monterey have been going at it, I mean fighting each other, talking about how awful cookeville & cookeville schools are since this started. How bout this, form your own county & build your own school! we'll see how far you go then,lol! poor ol' monterey can't get nothing, then it's "I don't like you!" "we'll I don't like you" on all the public discussions about this. yall need to muzzel a few. they're making the town look bad while ya trash talk cookeville. & the "don't shop in Cookeville, they don't need our tax money" & "I don't anyway I shop in Crossville" get crossville to build your school ;)
SueEm

Cookeville, TN

#33 Aug 9, 2011
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
I have three children who would benefit from the new buildings. I can assure you that no one who knows them would describe them as either lazy or disrespectful. While they can learn some things under a tree, in order to learn the things they need to compete for scholarships and jobs in today's economy, they need facilities that provide them with tools and technologies necessary to achieve what is provided in most other school systems. My daughter is in Honors Spanish 3 and is taking it via the new Distance Learning System. Opportunities like that don't exist under trees.
Just park your three precious little snowflakes under a tree with an ipad.
some ppl

Martin, TN

#34 Aug 9, 2011
crazy wrote:
the people of Monterey have been going at it, I mean fighting each other, talking about how awful cookeville & cookeville schools are since this started. How bout this, form your own county & build your own school! we'll see how far you go then,lol! poor ol' monterey can't get nothing, then it's "I don't like you!" "we'll I don't like you" on all the public discussions about this. yall need to muzzel a few. they're making the town look bad while ya trash talk cookeville. & the "don't shop in Cookeville, they don't need our tax money" & "I don't anyway I shop in Crossville" get crossville to build your school ;)
Monterey ppl are great...when things get rough they band together warts and all... go Monterey..
who cares what we think

Clarksville, TN

#35 Aug 9, 2011
i went to school in momterey and just wonder who wants to be a cavaleer and there will be lots of fights and trouble if monterey is forced to go to cookeville come on andy honeycutt and other members from monterey on the county school board and county commisson and even montery board members go to bat for monterey dont destroy the wildcats den
wrong

Cookeville, TN

#36 Aug 9, 2011
SueEm wrote:
<quoted text>
Just park your three precious little snowflakes under a tree with an ipad.
Thank you so much for helping me to understand the situation. I had the false impression that all people understand the value the education system to a community; besides providing training for the future citizens who will be paying taxes to pay for your welfare checks, strong school systems attract industry and jobs to the area. I can now see the error of my ways. Some people, like you,are just too ignorant to follow any logical debate. When they no longer feel as though they have the intellect to continue the debate,the resort to disrespectful comments to detract from the original point of the discussion. Thus the reason you feel a proper 21st century education is not necessary, someone failed to provide you with any education at all. Now I understand.

As for today's youth not being respectful. Respect is not something you demand but rather something you earn. I can completely understand why you do not receive respect - you aren't capable of earning it.
info

United States

#37 Aug 9, 2011
sad wrote:
<quoted text>Chains could probaly be used on buses...chains does not work on ice...some of the really mountainous roads are iced over and no one should try to drive a school bus over them...and I appreciate the school officials that decide its safer staying at home instead taking the chance of losing one of precious children..
You are wrong about chains not working on ice - they do. Monterey is not the only town who has bad winter weather, but you would think you live in Nepal the way people carry on about the snow. Maybe homeschooling is the answer since they wouldn't be able to go via all winter.
Eenymeeny

United States

#38 Aug 9, 2011
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you so much for helping me to understand the situation. I had the false impression that all people understand the value the education system to a community; besides providing training for the future citizens who will be paying taxes to pay for your welfare checks, strong school systems attract industry and jobs to the area. I can now see the error of my ways. Some people, like you,are just too ignorant to follow any logical debate. When they no longer feel as though they have the intellect to continue the debate,the resort to disrespectful comments to detract from the original point of the discussion. Thus the reason you feel a proper 21st century education is not necessary, someone failed to provide you with any education at all. Now I understand.
As for today's youth not being respectful. Respect is not something you demand but rather something you earn. I can completely understand why you do not receive respect - you aren't capable of earning it.
Future generations won't be paying for future welfare checks because of all the lazy useless people who pop out kid after kid who expect taxpayers now to foot the bill will suck it all dry long before then. It was a nice thought though.
sad

Martin, TN

#39 Aug 9, 2011
info wrote:
<quoted text> You are wrong about chains not working on ice - they do. Monterey is not the only town who has bad winter weather, but you would think you live in Nepal the way people carry on about the snow. Maybe homeschooling is the answer since they wouldn't be able to go via all winter.
chains do not work on ice....try going up a mountain covered with ice three inches deep....then call me when you get to the top...
wutdafuk

United States

#40 Aug 9, 2011
sad wrote:
<quoted text>chains do not work on ice....try going up a mountain covered with ice three inches deep....then call me when you get to the top...
I went to school in Ohio, hardly ever missed for snow. I think we get a lil more snow and ice than Monterey. Please.
sad

Martin, TN

#41 Aug 9, 2011
wutdafuk wrote:
<quoted text> I went to school in Ohio, hardly ever missed for snow. I think we get a lil more snow and ice than Monterey. Please.
SO...you went to school in ohio...have you ever driven a school bus on icy mountain roads...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brittany diamond 25 min Simon 1
Chris Phipps the Coward 15 hr GoodFriend 1
Worst Mothers Awars Goes To (Dec '16) 20 hr Joshua Wade Graham 18
make very happy Thu lovin it 1
I need Dope Thu Junkie 1
I need smoke Thu Junkie 3
Miranda Cook Thu Sorry 31

Monterey Jobs

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages